PDA

View Full Version : DM Help A question concerning Arcane Sight and invisible or hiding

JamieRoy13
2014-10-20, 04:31 PM
If someone has the spell arcane sight active and there is someone using hide in plain sight, or invisibility, does arcane sight still allow the viewer to see any magical auras on the sneaker? Effectively revealing him/her?

Vogonjeltz
2014-10-20, 05:25 PM
If someone has the spell arcane sight active and there is someone using hide in plain sight, or invisibility, does arcane sight still allow the viewer to see any magical auras on the sneaker? Effectively revealing him/her?

Assuming the invisibility is itself a spell, or there are other spells active or there are magic items, those would be visible.

If the subject is using the hide skill then I would put a modifier in place (probably +2 to +10 depending on how strong the aura was and how many there were).

Duke of Urrel
2014-10-20, 11:29 PM
Arcane Sight does reveal a magic aura around an invisible creature, provided that the invisibility is created by a spell. Seeing a magic aura around an invisible creature is not enough to make the creature visible; it merely enables you to pinpoint its location. You still suffer a 50% miss chance when you try to attack an invisible creature when all you can see is the magic aura that surrounds it.

The Hide in Plain Sight ability, as far as I know, may be either extraordinary or supernatural. In neither case can the Arcane Sight spell empower you to see a magic aura around the hidden creature. Only spells and spell-like abilities manifest themselves as magic auras; extraordinary and supernatural abilities do not.

To my knowledge, the Arcane Sight spell grants no Spot check bonus to see a creature that merely uses Hide skill. However, if the hidden creature happens to be the subject of an active spell whose aura you an see, then VogonJeltz's suggestion isn't bad. I would impose a -4 penalty on the Hide check of a creature with a glowing magic aura.