PDA

View Full Version : Ever Get In Trouble For Doing the Right Thing?

Crow
2014-10-20, 05:48 PM
This thread is part vent, part question.

So today I finally received closure on an issue at my "real job" that has been the cause of a lot of strife in my professional life recently. I'm hoping it is mostly finished, but we will see.

I can't get into specifics because of the nature of my work, but a few weeks ago I and my team were asked to do something that was not in the best interests of my team, and the other teams within our organization. Very large portions of corporate bonuses at nearly every managerial level were dependant upon us taking these actions. However when push came to shove; I directed my team not to take the actions that our superiors were requesting. Because I was doing what was right, they could not discipline me for this action, but this triggered a long campaign of digging up and placing all of my past actions under the microscope. I have always been one to ask forgiveness rather than permission; and though they had no single incident worthy of disciplinary action they were able to scrape together enough minor violations to build a case and execute it.

During my time in the military, my commanding officer always told us that we should always do the right thing, and not neccessarily the correct thing. I was not the type of person to do that prior to my service. Since then though, it has stuck with me; and it is...dare I say addictive and infectious. It doesn't tend to ingratiate you with most mangerial structures though. In the military, in our unit, the "managers" were interested in the results. From what I hear several modern officers are moving away from that mindset, but that is a different discussion. The results-oriented mindset is not so prevelant in the corporate world, or at least the primary motivators ($$$) are far different. This has resulted in a private-sector career for me that is marked by having lots of enemies. The only advantage is that the few results-oriented managers that I have are very willing to step up to bat for me when needed, but that is not enough to succeed in a large corporate environment.

So here I am, basically in the same situation I was before, but with a little more dirt in my personnel file. "Break Glass In Case of Crisis", hang him up when it's over. I'll be fine though.

Does anybody else out there have similar tales of workplace woe? I'm in a mood to feel less alone.

Grinner
2014-10-20, 06:27 PM
Does anybody else out there have similar tales of workplace woe? I'm in a mood to feel less alone.

Sure.

So my job entails dealing with a lot of people in sometimes adversarial circumstances. Most of the clients are alright. Everyday, I piss a few off when they don't hear what they want, though. A select fraction of those people are a rather unlikable lot.

The problem is that that last group of clients always start yelling for a manager the minute things don't go their way. By federal law, my coworkers and I have certain responsibilities, and if something goes wrong on our watch, everyone, including management, can be cut loose, no questions asked.

Enter the managers. Two of the four are extremely dependable. When pressured, they stick to their guns. I love those two.

The others are an issue. One of them talks a good game, but it's clear that she's angling to get as high in the company as possible with as little trouble as possible. To that end, she tends to smile, talk, and I suspect lie her way out when given just a mean look. Ironically, I suspect she's also been passed over for promotion. The other one, the director....he's a nice guy, really. That's the problem. He's too nice. In fact, he crumples like a paper sack when cajoled. I understand he has to maintain the company's reputation, but as a coworker observed, this isn't Burger King. His cowardice makes everyone else's job five times harder.

TheThan
2014-10-20, 07:00 PM
Yeah, that’s never a good position to be in.
You want to keep your integrity and maintain a degree of professionalism. But when your boss tells you to outright lie or even break the rules (law, company policy etc), then you have to take a position, and that’s never fun.

Jay R
2014-10-20, 09:32 PM
The essence of moral choice is deciding whether to do what's best for you and your people or what's best for everyone. Everyone deals with this every day.

Yes, every time you don't take something that doesn't belong to you, or give somebody something you owe them, or admit something you don't want to admit, or let somebody else go first because it's their turn, you are being hurt for doing the right thing.

Do it anyway.

RabbitHoleLost
2014-10-21, 05:49 AM
I've got several stories similar from back in my pharmacy days, but I don't believe I can discuss any of them without the possibility of spurring debates on that would not abide by forum rules :(

All the same, Crow, you're great.
I just wanted to let you know that.

Gnomvid
2014-10-21, 10:42 AM
Ditto you're far from alone in that situation mate.

Crow
2014-10-21, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys. Corporate power structures have an impressive way of isolating those who dissent.

Much appreciated, Playground. :)

Slipperychicken
2014-10-22, 12:01 AM
I'm actually learning about this stuff in an ethics class now.

From what I've learned about ethics scenarios, it seems like it's often important to try to work with relevant decision-makers, treat them with respect, find out what their interests are (and therefore what they're willing to listen to), and try to sell the ethical option on those merits. It's also important not to ignore/diminish other peoples' concerns or be excessively self-righteous.

Gnomvid
2014-10-22, 03:41 AM
I'm actually learning about this stuff in an ethics class now.

From what I've learned about ethics scenarios, it seems like it's often important to try to work with relevant decision-makers, treat them with respect, find out what their interests are (and therefore what they're willing to listen to), and try to sell the ethical option on those merits. It's also important not to ignore/diminish other peoples' concerns or be excessively self-righteous.

That's easier said then done in the real world though, some don't have the backbone to go with it regardless.

SiuiS
2014-10-23, 04:53 AM
Yeah, that’s never a good position to be in.
You want to keep your integrity and maintain a degree of professionalism. But when your boss tells you to outright lie or even break the rules (law, company policy etc), then you have to take a position, and that’s never fun.

Integrity. Every time.

The essence of moral choice is deciding whether to do what's best for you and your people or what's best for everyone. Everyone deals with this every day.

Yes, every time you don't take something that doesn't belong to you, or give somebody something you owe them, or admit something you don't want to admit, or let somebody else go first because it's their turn, you are being hurt for doing the right thing.

Do it anyway.

Yuss.

It's also important to recognize this because it tells you that stealth moral choices happen all the time and often it requires hindsight to notice. Morality isn't just big dramatic stuff. It's foundational.

hamishspence
2014-10-23, 06:32 AM

I think that "not doing the wrong thing" should be distinguished from "doing the right thing."

In D&D terms - "avoidance of wrongdoing" makes one "solidly Neutral" rather than Good.