PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Custom Race] The Ouphes - a unique race

Secret Wizard
2014-10-20, 05:59 PM
Please take a gander on my latest creation - the Ouphes (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aZ7lZNTqY_otJKBs2bATGwHgCCbf68VKuKCBfePxBHY/pub).

If you are into new, unique races with wildly insane mechanics, take a look.

EDIT: Created a simpler variant of this race (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1txanONKxAR_jheDBK2MrcnlFegL8T5ZznmKoczV7VkI/edit?usp=sharing). Feel free to check it out!

EisenKreutzer
2014-10-20, 06:10 PM
Wow. This is very good!

I like the concept very much. Both visually and thematically, this is an interesting race. Thank you for sharing this!

Secret Wizard
2014-10-20, 06:13 PM
Hey, no probbo. Any feedback appreciated.

EisenKreutzer
2014-10-20, 06:15 PM
Is it possible to play an Ouphe in the Mote stage? I also noticed that the three variations seem to be mostly flavour, as there is no mechanical distinction between them.

Secret Wizard
2014-10-20, 06:24 PM
They are all meant to represent the different Ouphe 'S' mutations, but it's vague enough that only someone who goes heads over heels over this race will note and enforce. Also, it's to allow the race to fit in when played around with Dwarves, Gnomes and Halflings (the Stalker bodytype makes thems more distinctive here), with Kobolds, Wayangs, Gripplis and Goblins (the Lanky and Plumpy bodytypes are more unique here).

Mote stage is basically embryonic, it's not playable since its a pre-sapient stage, I think -- or a stage that has an intellect so vastly otherworldly that it could not be easily roleplayed.

AuraTwilight
2014-10-20, 07:05 PM
I am utterly in love with the fluff of this class.

Amechra
2014-10-20, 07:59 PM
I went into this going "yeah right, it's just gonna be another whatever race". I came out of it loving these little guys.

They're pretty great.

Would you mind me making some more racial feats for them?

Secret Wizard
2014-10-20, 08:35 PM
Go nuts, as long as you post the feats though!

Also, if you ever use this race for your campaign, let me know how it plays out!

Finally, I am eager to put out more content - I already have a campaign in my mind and some archetypes.

Thealtruistorc
2014-10-20, 09:15 PM
Wow, these are inventive and really clever. Easily one of the coolest races I have seen in a long time. I would definitely like to find a use for them in my campaign.

jqavins
2014-10-21, 11:55 AM
I had the same experience as Amechra and almost didn't read it, but I'm glad I did. Great job!

Two questions. First, how is it pronounced? To me, it looks like oof-ee, the sound of a todler leaping into her dozing, lounging uncle's lap.

Second, I don't understand this:

Ouphes begin the day with five mutation slots. Once per day, while resting, they can assign up to two mutation slots to any mutation they know.
So they have five but can only use two? I get that a given mutation can be assigned either one or two of the five; is that what the "up to two" meant? Then an ouphe could assign one to each of the four and the fifth to one of them, or two each to two and the fifth to a third; is that it?

["This is a very creative person," he thinks to himself. "I wonder what else he or she has done." He goes looking...] I just found your alternate goblinoid from back in July. That too looks interesting, though I've only read the introduction so far. But this means you need another name, since you've got two new races that are both cool but both called ouphes. Oopsies!

Secret Wizard
2014-10-21, 03:08 PM
They are actually the same idea, I wanted to come up with a race of small creatures for a campaign.

The Goblinoids were a wash though, they had a number of problems -- mainly, they were made to fulfill a small niche in the campaign. Players liked the race, they liked the characters... but none of them wanted to play them! When I asked why, they pointed out how similar they were to other races.

Then it hit me --- what PF is missing is an assign-2 small race as a counterpart to Humans, Half-Orcs and Half-Elves.

The former version of Ouphes was deprecated and then I introduced this one. The players didn't mind the ret-con and two of them are rolling Ouphes as we speak.

Here is the pronunciation (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ouphe) of /ouphe/.

And, by the way, you have five slots, and can assign to any mutation up to two. Once you've assigned them all, you have none left to assign. I thought it was intuitively written, but I'll give it another pass!

Would anyone be interested in an adventure module regarding Ouphes, in extra archetypes, more traits or feats?

spikeof2010
2014-10-23, 06:24 AM
Glad I read this! This is a great race, and I might make some mutations if that's okay.

Secret Wizard
2014-10-23, 07:33 PM
Glad I read this! This is a great race, and I might make some mutations if that's okay.

I don't mind as long as you show me what you make! I'd really want to know what I've missed.

Secret Wizard
2014-11-02, 03:14 PM
Created a LITE variant in case someone thinks the first version is too cumbersome or overpowered. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1txanONKxAR_jheDBK2MrcnlFegL8T5ZznmKoczV7VkI/edit?usp=sharing)