PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 half minotaur template help

sage20500
2014-10-20, 07:01 PM
Aside from +4 str and con, -2int, and +2 natural armor does anything else happen to a pc character stat wise if they are a base medium human that is increased to size large permanently? Ive seen posts that allude to the fact the pc recieves an additional 8 str which I find hard to believe.

Alaris
2014-10-20, 07:31 PM
Aside from +4 str and con, -2int, and +2 natural armor does anything else happen to a pc character stat wise if they are a base medium human that is increased to size large permanently? Ive seen posts that allude to the fact the pc recieves an additional 8 str which I find hard to believe.

In addition to the standard stat bonuses one gets for being a Half Minotaur, they increase from Medium to Large Size, giving them the following additional Ability Score changes:
+8 Strength
-2 Dexterity
+2 Constitution

Total Ability Score Adjustments for a Half-Minotaur:
+12 Strength
+4 Constitution
-2 Dexterity
-2 Intelligence

They have all the benefits and penalties of being large, including -1 to Attack Rolls and AC, as well as an additional 5 foot reach.

Aside from that, there probably isn't much more. I do warn you, however, that most DMs won't allow you to have such large stat boosts without a higher Level Adjustment, or simply won't allow the template at all. Half Minotaur is known to be a fairly powerful Template for people who want to make tank-y, high-strength characters, for a low penalty of only +1 LA. Make sure your DM knows about ALL of the stat changes before going through with it.

The worst kind of thing to happen is for the DM to say "No, play a different character" after you've rolled the stats and built the character, ready to play at the game session.

Best of luck with your Half-Minotaur. ^_^

sage20500
2014-10-20, 07:50 PM
In addition to the standard stat bonuses one gets for being a Half Minotaur, they increase from Medium to Large Size, giving them the following additional Ability Score changes:
+8 Strength
-2 Dexterity
+2 Constitution

Total Ability Score Adjustments for a Half-Minotaur:
+12 Strength
+4 Constitution
-2 Dexterity
-2 Intelligence

They have all the benefits and penalties of being large, including -1 to Attack Rolls and AC, as well as an additional 5 foot reach.

Aside from that, there probably isn't much more. I do warn you, however, that most DMs won't allow you to have such large stat boosts without a higher Level Adjustment, or simply won't allow the template at all. Half Minotaur is known to be a fairly powerful Template for people who want to make tank-y, high-strength characters, for a low penalty of only +1 LA. Make sure your DM knows about ALL of the stat changes before going through with it.

The worst kind of thing to happen is for the DM to say "No, play a different character" after you've rolled the stats and built the character, ready to play at the game session.

Best of luck with your Half-Minotaur. ^_^

Holy crap... would it be acceptable for me to ask the dm if i can either a ignore the size increase stats or b say that the minotaurs +4 is already half of that plus 8? We had to to roll our stats and since I ended up with an 18 in str and cha I was looking into making a half minotaur paladin. But im pretty sure showing up witb a pc that has 30 str at level 4 will get a book thrown at my head.

Red Fel
2014-10-20, 07:51 PM
Alaris has the right of it. The template explicitly says that it does not take into account the changes that come with an increase in size category. (Look here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases) for an explanation of Medium -> Large.) So the stats from the template are further increased due to the size change.

And that's before you consider the various other benefits (e.g. grappling, intimidate, etc.) and drawbacks (more expensive armor, harder to fit into places) of having a larger size category. And before you consider two aspects of Half-Minotaur you left out - the Track feat (which is meh, but free feat) and Scent (which is awesome). Also, the +10 to base speed, which is sick (particularly for a race with decreased starting speed). Note that this increase is to all speeds, not just land speed, so tack this on a flyer and watch them really, well, fly.

Urpriest
2014-10-20, 07:55 PM
Holy crap... would it be acceptable for me to ask the dm if i can either a ignore the size increase stats or b say that the minotaurs +4 is already half of that plus 8? We had to to roll our stats and since I ended up with an 18 in str and cha I was looking into making a half minotaur paladin. But im pretty sure showing up witb a pc that has 30 str at level 4 will get a book thrown at my head.

In general, houseruling it to just grant the stat adjustments listed (+4 Str, not +12) is probably the best way to use that template, yeah. It's still worth LA +1 for many builds regardless, and it's more consistent with how the sizing rules actually work.