PDA

View Full Version : Rich's Diplomacy fix

Doctor Awkward
2014-10-20, 07:39 PM
So the new comic is up and there's a diplomacy joke in it.
And since most of the discussion in the official thread will no doubt revolve around how diplomacy in 3.0/3.5 is "teh brokenz" someone posted a link to Rich's Diplomacy houserule (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/jFppYwv7OUkegKhONNF.html). I'm new here so I haven't seen this particular article before.

Now I know that Rich is an accomplished author with actual game designer credits, and I am little more than a random guy on an Internet forum, but I also have nearly twenty years of table-top gaming under my (sizable) belt and there were a number of things about that article that really bothered me. Since its presence in the official comic thread is no doubt going to cause its viewings to go up, I wanted to point a few of those things, and here seemed like the appropriate place for rules discussion.

So Rich outlined his problems with Diplomacy as follows:

1.) It has a flat DC that is too low; a 2nd level bard turning a hostile character to indifferent is DC 25; seems "tough, but doable". But it's actually child's play. With a 16 Charisma, 5 ranks in Diplomacy, 5 ranks in Bluff (which grants a +2 synergy bonus), and 5 ranks in Sense Motive (which also grants a +2 synergy bonus), and (new in 3.5!) 5 ranks of Knowledge (nobility) (which yes, ALSO grants a +2 synergy bonus), the 2nd level bard already has a +14 and only needs a 11 or better to succeed. And that's without spending a feat on Skill Focus (Diplomacy) or Persuasive. Now here's the real problem: at 11th level, that same bard will have 9 more ranks in Diplomacy and probably at least an extra +1 from Charisma; he can now succeed on a roll of 1, which means he doesn't have to roll. He can automatically turn all hostile people indifferent by talking to them. He has 9 more levels of adventuring before he goes epic, but he can already make every enemy he meets apathetic to his existence.
Well, he's right about the skill ranks, but wrong on almost everything else. Firstly, Persuasive (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#persuasive) doesn't apply here. What he meant to say was Negotiator (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#negotiator). Secondly, in order to change someone's attitude with Diplomacy, you need a full uninterrupted minute (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/diplomacy.htm#action). They even clarify this in parentheses as 10 consecutive full-round actions. This equates to you doing nothing but standing there conversing while you give whatever thing or (group of things) ten full combat rounds to pound yours, or your party's, face in, at the end of which you get to roll your check. If they haven't turned you into a gooey paste by that point then it's probable the party could have easily overpowered them without having to talk to them. Now by RAW you can certainly restrain them, and then talk them into being your best friends, but you still run into the problem of needing to overpower them first. Of course you have the option of making a rushed check as a full-round action... at a -10 penalty of course, which gives the level 9 bard a 50% chance of success, and the level 2 bard about a zero percent chance. Thirdly, to even be allowed to make the check you have to have some means of reliably communicating your intentions to the other party (such as speaking their language). The description also specifically calls out Wild Empathy for animals and magical beasts.

2.) Which leads to my second beef: there is no discrepancy between targets. Making nice-nice to the evil overlord and sweet-talking the bean farmer who wants you off his property have the same DC under the current system. There is no way to resist the effects of Diplomacy; no saving throw, no opposed skill check, no level check, nothing. An indifferent epic wizard is as vulnerable to persuasion as an indifferent 1st level commoner. There's no such thing as a stubborn NPC under the current system.
This isn't true at all. The Check heading under the skill description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/diplomacy.htm#check) is quite clear on this, stating that, in negotiations, you roll opposed Diplomacy checks with the higher roll determining who has the upper hand (and probably the one who gets what they want). You also use opposed checks when presenting opposing cases to a third party. So attempting to negotiate with the leader of the gang that has you cornered is not a flat DC 25, it's your diplomacy against his. But what gang leader has diplomacy instead of intimidate, pick pocket, hide, or sleight of hand, you ask? I'd be more surprised to find a gang leader who regularly deals with negotiations of all kinds to have no ranks in Diplomacy, Bluff, or Sense Motive at all.

3.) The "patch" for the last two complaints is often the belief that the DM should apply circumstance penalties as he sees fit. My problem with this is without any guide as to what those penalties should be, it basically boils down to the DM thinking, "Do I want to give them such a huge penalty that they can't succeed, or not?" But I rarely have a preference. I don't decide whether I want someone to be persuadable, I want a rule system that lets me determine it randomly. It makes it very difficult to "wing" an adventure when there is no system for determining how to assess modifiers to this skill. Is that circumstance worth a -1? A -4? A -15? There's no guidelines given. In short, I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.
The guidelines in question are clearly spelled out when they first start talking about how to use skills, under Favorable and Unfavorable Conditions (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingSkills.htm#favorableAndUnfavorableConditions) . Most circumstances call for a +/-2, and you generally use increments of 2 when you feel the situation calls for it. Once you are out of auto-success/fail territory, each of those increments is a 10% adjustment to their chance of success. As a DM you have the advantage of seeing their character sheets. If you know your player will have an 80% chance of succeeding at getting the baron to do what he wants, and you want it to be tougher. Simply apply a -4 circumstance penalty on account of him being in a particularly foul mood due to some other unrelated troubles. Now he has a 60% chance, and he can improve his odds with clever roleplaying by offering to do the baron a favor. If you want it to be virtually impossible to succeed, apply something along the lines of a -8 modifier due to the gang of bandits having successfully ambushed the party and outnumbering them 2 to 1.

4.) When the Diplomacy check succeeds (and it usually will, with those low flat DCs), the exact outcome is too vague. They have a new mood; great, what does that mean? In reality, it means whatever the DM says it means-which brings me right back to point #3.
Part of the challenge of being a DM is making judgments about the personality of a particular NPC. It falls under decisions you make when planning your session. No, you don't need to have the personal history of every single person you encounter, but you should have some general tropes you have in mind for how they will behave. At that point you just have to use common sense for how that person will act towards someone they like (or someone who failed at being liked). If one of your players makes a character that extensively uses negotiations, you should probably plan at least some of your session around the possibility that there will be some negotiations.

5.) And how far does that "mood" go? What is its breaking point? What if the PCs ask a ludicrous and overly-expensive favor of a "friendly" person? What happens? I want Diplomacy to be able to answer questions like this when I don't have the answers predetermined, and it cannot do that as it stands. I want to be able to say, "Hmm, you asked the Duke to give you a 5000 gp advance on your next adventuring fee…roll Diplomacy to see if he goes for it." Right now, it doesn't really work that way. In short, D&D does not make me have to decide on the spot whether the PC's sword strikes the target; it provides rules for determining that. Why shouldn't there be rules for determining what happens when you ask an NPC to give too much?
Again, this is where common sense needs to be applied. To quote a much more capable player than myself:

This game cannot be played without interpretation and the judicious application of common sense. Try to play this game strictly by the rules as written and you have an unplayable game. As the DM, you either wrote the session, or you are running a published module. In either case, you know exactly how any NPC that matters will react to an obnoxious or outlandish request, even for someone they like. And Diplomacy absolutely performs the above described function without having to change a thing (or would you like to imagine a Duke without any ranks in Diplomacy?)

6.) Oh, and it's too hard to really screw up. Anyone with the basic 4 ranks of Diplomacy one would take at 1st level and no penalty to Charisma is incapable of worsening anyone's attitude by accident. It should be a lot easier to blow it, I think, especially in delicate negotiations.
Er... well, yes. That's correct.
Ranks represent time your character has dedicating to practicing and learning the particular skill. Max ranks indicate they more or less chose to specialize in that thing. I can only hope he's not suggesting that characters who dedicate their lives to being good something should regularly run the risk of not succeeding at it.

A good general guideline to follow whenever you are considering adding a new rule or making a house rule is this: the benefits gained from adding or changing a rule need to outweigh the additional complexity of the new rule. Rich's proposed changes are... complicated. Very complicated. Despite his insistence to the contrary, they add an enormous list of considerations to each and every potential social situation. Evening remembering the list is a complication, if only to remember whether or not it applies. It's probably best to look at his reasons for wanting a new rule to determine if a change is even necessary. Fortunately, he very helpfully provided those with his design objectives:

1.) I only worry about characters who invest in Diplomacy. Sure, fighters will occasionally be stuck having to talk their way out of something, but the system needs to work the right way for those who put max ranks in the skill and have a decent Charisma bonus. After all, combat values are derived from the best case scenario, the fighter, not the wizard. This is, in fact, one of the flaws with the current system; anyone who spends a modicum of effort being good at it, breaks it.

2.) In 3rd Edition, Diplomacy is defined as "Making people like you." I want to change that definition, for I think it lacks depth and is poorly understood. In my new system, Diplomacy will be defined as, "Getting people to accept a deal you propose to them." The idea is that anything you need to ask another person can be phrased in the form of a trade-even if you are offering "nothing" on one end of that trade, or something very abstract.

3.) A diplomat PC asking a stranger of equal level and Wisdom of 10 to accept a deal with an even risk-vs.-reward ratio should need to roll a 10 on the die to succeed. This is my numerical starting point, and I will proceed in both directions from there.

Well number one is more or less taken care of, in that negotiations are currently a matter of one person's diplomacy against the other's, and a character without ranks in diplomacy simply rolls a Charisma check. This also covers number two, since there are already rules for Diplomacy handling direct negotiating and negotiations with a third party.
So let's take a look at number three:
A second level diplomat (let's use the bard from point number 1 above) is requesting a favor from a local lord (a second level aristocrat). The bard is asking for some information, which the baron knows and could freely give at no risk to himself, if he were so inclined. The bard (being a bard) is incredibly charismatic (16), and a practiced diplomat to boot, and knows more than his share of tricks (full synergy bonus), thus giving him has a +14 to his Diplomacy check. The baron has 5 ranks in Diplomacy, Sense Motive, and Knowledge Nobility as a matter of station, but let's say only a 12 charisma, and the Negotiator feat. This gives him a total check of +12. As the bard is a complete stranger, their opposed check means the odds at the bard getting what he wants are about 60/40, favoring the bard.

Well, says the player, let me spend some time chatting him up first and getting to know him, maybe play him a song, I can hit that 15 to improve him to friendly without rolling, if not, get him right to helpful. Sorry, you reply, the baron is a busy man and doesn't have that kind of time to spare. Make your case, and do it quickly. If you want it to be an even 50/50 or harder you can apply a circumstance penalty as you like, such as the baron being prejudice against the nation the bard hails from, or against the bard's race.

So at normal levels of play the system can function pretty effectively without any changes at all.

Now given high optimization, I will concede it's quite simple to hit those rushed diplomacy checks, effectively talking your way out of a great majority of situations. A large majority of those can be solved by applying common sense and simply telling the player, "No, your target is hostile, perceives himself as having every advantage in this situation, and has no reason to listen to anything you have to say. You cannot alter his attitude with diplomacy right now. After a few rounds of combat, there's a fair chance he might be more amenable to discuss it rationally" (as opposed to getting killed).

For all other situations, a common house rule at our table is simply this: You cannot use Diplomacy any time your target feels threatened by you.
This means if you are in combat and want to talk your way out of it, first you have to lay down arms. The wizard has to stop casting, the fighter has to stop fighting, and the rogue has to stop stabbing. At high optimization, even one round of opening your throat to the enemy runs an enormous risk of getting you killed.

Now I'm not saying Rich's rule is any kind of terrible, or that you're dumb if you like it and want to use it. I'm just saying if his rule makes sense to you, then you might have not been using Diplomacy the way the designers wrote it to be used.

Well if anyone's still with me after all of that, thanks for reading. Hopefully some of this helps you at the gaming table a little bit, and provides some insight you might not have had before.

Psyren
2014-10-20, 07:45 PM
No comment on the rule, but regarding the comic - we don't know that she used Diplo there. It could have been a swindle (like she did with the Order, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0129.html) and she was telling the truth so it wasn't even Bluff!) or even Intimidate.

I will say that whatever problems there may be with Rich's fix, it is still light-years ahead of what we actually got in the PHB/ELH, where Diplomacy is utterly broken.

Magma Armor0
2014-10-20, 08:53 PM
long wall of text. I did actually read all of it, but quickly, so if I missed something I apologize. The main problem I (and Rich, I believe) see with your analysis is that opposed diplomacy rolls, by RAW, only are used when negotiating with someone, not when influencing their attitude towards you. The system actually works pretty well for negotiations (although Rich's works better, IMHO), but when you can make the 40th level BBEG friendly to you with a skill check that cannot be opposed or resisted in any way (short of removing your ability to perceive the speech--and voluntarily deafening oneself can't be the best use of a round). Additionally, Rich's example is only a moderate-optimization example. Consider instead a level 2 Half-elf Marshal with an 18 CHA: 5 ranks in Diplomacy + 6 synergy (from bluff, sense motive, and Knowledge: Nobility and Royalty), +2 from being a half-elf +4 from the 18 CHA, +3 from Motivate Charisma aura and +3 from built-into-class skill focus diplomacy. This Marshal is running around with a +24 to diplomacy checks, which auto-succeed the roll to make anything "apathetic" with the full diplomacy action (assuming the BBEG likes to taunt the players with their imminent doom) or a 50/50 shot of succeeding on the rushed action. But wait! we still get a feat! how about smooth talker (from player's guide to Faerun), which cuts that -10 for a rushed diplomacy down to a -5? And half-elf is a notoriously bad race to take. for higher optimzation, check this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?274056-Earliest-Diplomancer)out.

TL;DR: the flat DC for adjusting attitudes is the problem, not opposed negotiation checks. Also, Rich's example wasn't even high-op.

Baroknik
2014-10-20, 09:12 PM
Not to mention an Ardent can make the rushed check at no penalty whatsoever.

Doctor Awkward
2014-10-20, 09:15 PM
TL;DR: the flat DC for adjusting attitudes is the problem, not opposed negotiation checks. Also, Rich's example wasn't even high-op.

Of course it wasn't, but Rich was using a moderately well made character to demonstrate the entire skill is broken on it's face, when clearly it's not. It was a claim based on a number of faulty assumptions. No level 2 character can survive 10 rounds of getting pounded on, and they have no hope of making the rushed check either. A 9th level character having a 50/50 shot of talking a dragon out of eating them in a single action is the kind of thing I would expect a 9th level character to do. Rich also created his rule to allow the skill to do things it already does, and make them more complicated.

Your example is requires house rules in exactly the same way that games with wizards and druids run by smart players require them. My only point was that Rich's change added many unnecessary layers, when "You can't use Diplomacy to influence the attitude of people who feel threatened by you" is a far simpler and more logical fix.

EDIT: There's also the page 66 Rules Compendium, which says to add the NPC's Diplomacy modifier to all checks made to change their attitude towards the player. That solves the problem of making it HD and skill dependent.

Magma Armor0
2014-10-20, 09:31 PM
Of course it wasn't, but Rich was using a moderately well made character to demonstrate the entire skill is broken on it's face, when clearly it's not. It was a claim based on a number of faulty assumptions. No level 2 character can survive 10 rounds of getting pounded on, and they have no hope of making the rushed check either. A 9th level character having a 50/50 shot of talking a dragon out of eating them in a single action is the kind of thing I would expect a 9th level character to do. Rich also created his rule to allow the skill to do things it already does, and make them more complicated.

Your example is requires house rules in exactly the same way that games with wizards and druids run by smart players require them. My only point was that Rich's change added many unnecessary layers, when "You can't use Diplomacy to influence the attitude of people who feel threatened by you" is a far simpler and more logical fix.

With no weapons on hand, the above level two marshal can rush a diplomacy check to talk his way out of an epic-level opponent fighting him (by making him indifferent). That's horribly, horribly broken. No other skill, at level 2, can instantly end any given encounter with any opponent capable of speaking a language. It only gets worse from there, as with higher levels of optimization, the bad guy goes from "Indifferent" to helpful, or worse, "fanatic" (epic levels only, for the most part) and practically joins the party.

And while it's easy to say that "the DM can just say the opponent isn't interested in talking," that defeats a lot of the expectation on the player's point of view. No other skill only works (works here meaning allows a roll) "when the NPCs feel like it." You don't see sleight of hand only working when the opponent is lazy, intimidate only working when the opponent is a pansy, or bluff only working when the opponent is gullible. Saying that certain NPCs just don't feel like listening violates a player's reasonable expectation to have the rules of the game enforced unless there are specifically listed situations where the opponent will not listen, which is weird anyways, as 3.5 tends to be of the mindset that "nothing is impossible, just increase the DC"

lastly, it gets really weird when the same arguments that the PC used to convince one batch of enemies to give peace a chance won't convince another batch of enemies with no meaningful difference other than sword-swinging ability, so on the one hand, the flat DCs make sense. they just don't make for a good game. The diplomacy skill in general is just too powerful of an idea to make work for changing attitudes; either you nerf it to the point of irrelevance, or let it break the game wide open.

Chronos
2014-10-20, 09:35 PM
The problem I have with Rich's fix is that the DC goes up the same way with HD no matter what the target has done. This can lead to situations where it becomes impossible for high-level characters to ever do business.

Consider: Two 11th-level fighters, Alice and Bob, meet in a tavern, and get to talking. Both of them have equal Cha and Wis to each other, and neither has any ranks in Diplomacy. In the course of their conversation, it comes out that they're both worshipers of the same god. Alice is currently on a quest to defeat a red dragon, and is currently wielding a flaming longsword. Bob is currently on a quest to defeat a white dragon, and is currently wielding a frost longsword. Aha! Alice proposes that they trade weapons. They're allies, and this is an even trade, so Alice is rolling 1d20+ability mod vs. a DC of 21+ability mod. She has no chance of success. After talking a bit more, Bob gets a great idea: They should trade weapons! Like Alice, he also rolls 1d20+ability mod vs. 21+ability mod, and also fails. Neither fighter can convince the other to trade weapons, even though they both want to.

Alternately, consider two smooth-talking swindlers who are trying to make a deal. Both of them have the same stats, but both have a Diplomacy score much higher than their level. Either one, in other words, is capable of convincing people of their level to give them unfavorable trades. Now, whichever one happens to make their offer first is going to get a good deal, while the other one is going to get ripped off. How do we decide who gets to offer their deal first?

Better, I think, would be to keep Rich's basic framework, but make all Diplomacy rolls opposed checks (and while we're at it, maybe change the name of the skill to Negotiation). Now, the two fighters both face an easy DC to convince each other, and so might succeed even with their meager powers of persuasion, while the two swindlers will have a much harder time swindling another pro.

Doctor Awkward
2014-10-20, 10:16 PM
And while it's easy to say that "the DM can just say the opponent isn't interested in talking," that defeats a lot of the expectation on the player's point of view. No other skill only works (works here meaning allows a roll) "when the NPCs feel like it." You don't see sleight of hand only working when the opponent is lazy, intimidate only working when the opponent is a pansy, or bluff only working when the opponent is gullible. Saying that certain NPCs just don't feel like listening violates a player's reasonable expectation to have the rules of the game enforced unless there are specifically listed situations where the opponent will not listen, which is weird anyways, as 3.5 tends to be of the mindset that "nothing is impossible, just increase the DC"

This is why applying common sense and situational logic is important with these rules. It's why there is a line in the description that explicitly says, "Even if the initial Diplomacy check succeeds, an NPC can be persuaded only so far". The GM has absolutely every right to say, "He's not listening to you anymore" because he's the one controlling the NPC's actions and behavior. It's the same reason the DM's Guide explicitly says that NPC's can never change a player character's attitude with diplomacy because oh come on now, how much sense would that make??
Diplomacy isn't mind control, and treating it like that is pretty willfully misinterpreting obvious intent.

EDIT: And my main point is that base DC of 25 can be easily adjusted with circumstance penalties as much as the DM likes. There are more than enough guidelines to get you the result you want.

Red Rubber Band
2014-10-20, 10:23 PM
The problem I have with Rich's fix is that the DC goes up the same way with HD no matter what the target has done. This can lead to situations where it becomes impossible for high-level characters to ever do business.

Consider: Two 11th-level fighters, Alice and Bob, meet in a tavern, and get to talking. Both of them have equal Cha and Wis to each other, and neither has any ranks in Diplomacy. In the course of their conversation, it comes out that they're both worshipers of the same god. Alice is currently on a quest to defeat a red dragon, and is currently wielding a flaming longsword. Bob is currently on a quest to defeat a white dragon, and is currently wielding a frost longsword. Aha! Alice proposes that they trade weapons. They're allies, and this is an even trade, so Alice is rolling 1d20+ability mod vs. a DC of 21+ability mod. She has no chance of success. After talking a bit more, Bob gets a great idea: They should trade weapons! Like Alice, he also rolls 1d20+ability mod vs. 21+ability mod, and also fails. Neither fighter can convince the other to trade weapons, even though they both want to.

Alternately, consider two smooth-talking swindlers who are trying to make a deal. Both of them have the same stats, but both have a Diplomacy score much higher than their level. Either one, in other words, is capable of convincing people of their level to give them unfavorable trades. Now, whichever one happens to make their offer first is going to get a good deal, while the other one is going to get ripped off. How do we decide who gets to offer their deal first?

Better, I think, would be to keep Rich's basic framework, but make all Diplomacy rolls opposed checks (and while we're at it, maybe change the name of the skill to Negotiation). Now, the two fighters both face an easy DC to convince each other, and so might succeed even with their meager powers of persuasion, while the two swindlers will have a much harder time swindling another pro.

As far as the Fighter's conundrum, Rich already has ground rules in place for that:

1.) I only worry about characters who invest in Diplomacy. Sure, fighters will occasionally be stuck having to talk their way out of something, but the system needs to work the right way for those who put max ranks in the skill and have a decent Charisma bonus. After all, combat values are derived from the best case scenario, the fighter, not the wizard. This is, in fact, one of the flaws with the current system; anyone who spends a modicum of effort being good at it, breaks it.

I think you'd have to actually put numbers to the smooth talkers with sky high Diplomacy before getting any constructive criticism or (dis)agreement out of others.

Baroknik
2014-10-20, 10:45 PM

I'm unsure where you're getting the TN's for the Fighter example, by my reconning, the base DC is 15 + (relationship mod) + (trade mod) + WIS of target + HD of target
With them being recognized allies, the DC drops 5. You claim it is an even trade, but I would argue it is favorable for both parties (if not fantastic) -- note that while it is even in gold value, the actual benefit is greater (actually equal to one-half the market value of each weapon -- the cost to sell and buy).
What does this mean? A DC of...
0+HD+Wis Mod for an excellent trade
5+HD+Wis Mod for a favorable trade
10+HD+Wis Mod for an even trade

All of these are obtainable at level 11, except for the even trade.
But if it's an even trade why would they be interested in the first place? They are both gaining from the trade. The problem then is that it can be hard to see the financial gain in a 0-sum trade.

2014-10-21, 12:42 AM
Diplomacy is so ridiculously easy to optimize, and there's a number of ways to rush the check (Ardent, Binder, items, etc.). Furthermore, under the normal rules, an ECL 100 Wizard who has a +0 to Diplomacy is just as easy to convince with skills as an ECL 1 Commoner with no need for book learnin' and fancy words.

The normal Diplomacy rules are too un-defined; the point of this fix was to give a little more structure, instead of leaving the DM to decide what level of circumstance bonus is appropriate.

Furthermore, the normal rules for Diplomacy can be used to end epic encounters, at least under the normal rules for it. With the proper classes, you can talk anything into being your new friend. I'm gonna go see what can be accomplished level by level.

Dread_Head
2014-10-21, 05:25 AM
Also you are only considering the in combat applications of diplomacy. Diplomacy isn't that useful a skill to use when fighting has already started due to the time it takes etc. When it is most broken is when you diplomance every NPC you meet (most of whom should start off as indifferent) to being helpful with only moderate optimisation. When you have a level 5 character who makes everyone they meet feel helpful (or even fanatic at higher levels) that can really break the game. Talk to a merchant, ask for a minor discount. Go to a church and persuade them to heal you for free. Have a meeting with the king (or other head of state), make him feel helpful then ask to borrow some magic items to rid the roads of bandits etc.

The current diplomacy skill also runs into problems in that it has no duration, you have improved their opinion of you indefinitely and now every time you visit them again they will still help you more.

OttoVonBigby
2014-10-21, 06:00 AM
Has anybody seen the consequences of Rich's diplo fix with a Beguiler? I'd be curious to know what the impact is.

TypoNinja
2014-10-21, 07:21 AM
I've never experienced diplomacy being broken, because everybody seems to forget that "helpful" doesn't mean stupid.

You are trying to sneak in somewhere? Great! Diplomacy the guards they'll.... Refuse to let you in. "Sorry man, I'd love to grab a beer with you after my shift, but my boss would string me up by my balls if I let anybody in who isn't supposed to be, If you want I can put in a good word maybe get the paperwork for getting you authorized sped on its way?"

Diplomancy the shop keepers for cheap stuff? Maybe good for a free beer or two with your buddy the barkeep but if you think the magic item vendor is gonna give you expensive ass goodies you are dreaming. I spend money on my friends, but there's a difference between buying your buddies a burger and a beer and buying them a PS4.

Make friends with a priest? Why? Good churches typically already offer healing at cost, because there's always a God of Healing and if that chruch offers cheap healing the others will too or their congregation might not grow as much.

Diplomacy doesn't make people do what you want, it just makes them like you. And they'll have expectations of how their friends should treat them. Someone you abuse for cheap goods is gonna feel put upon in short order.

Diplomancy the BBEG? Alright, hes quite fond of you. Hes also quite fond of his master plan, so instead of killing you for interfering he'll just incapacitate you and apologize once you wake up. Or invite you to join him, since you are pals now clearly you'd like to help his plan right? Better live up to expectations or your relationship will sour fast.

The DC 90 check to turn an indifferent shop keeper into a fanatic who would be willing to simply hand you his stock comes up against other problems. It counts as mind effecting. So all the protections from mind control, which are going to be common by the time you make a dc 90 skill check apply. If a man sells half million GP items for a living do you really think he didn't invest in mind control protection? Do your PC's think they are the first people to think they could turn a potion of glibness into as much GP as they can carry in magical gear?

Vhaidara
2014-10-21, 07:27 AM
Let me explain the problem, using a character I had (campaign has died).
GAISU Hendrickson (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=939602)
As of level 2, GAISU is a Warlock 1/Binder 1. He is a moderately optimized diplomancer, grabbing big buffs, but not little ones. He had an amazing point buy and I got the Cha penalty dropped from tiefling.
1 level in Warlock netted him +6 to Diplo and Bluff (Beguiling Influence)
1 level in Binder got him the holy grail of diplomancers: Naberius. Nab is basically a +10: No penalty for rushing. Furthermore, Nab lets you take 10.
At level 2, GAISU simply delivers 29s for diplomacy.
Level 3, he grabs a level of Marshal and the party wizard grabs Eagle's Splendor.
1 level of Marshal = Cha +3 to Diplo (Skill Focus and Motivate Cha).
So, with the level in Marshal and trading PBS for Negotiator, GAISU is up to a 43 (take 10, +12 Cha, +6 ranks, +5 feats, +4 synergy, +6 Warlock)
As a detail, swap the race to Illumian and pick up +2 to Cha based skills and remove the houserule requirement of using tiefling (technically a 4 point swing).

I now end every encounter as soon as my initiative hits (DC 35 for Hostile to Friendly) and am 8 points from mass minions (Hostile to Helpful). Further, nothing is immune to Diplomancy. There is no clause preventing it from working on mindless creatures.

atemu1234
2014-10-21, 07:28 AM
In all essence yes the fix wouldn't work perfectly, but it's better than RAW.

Chronos
2014-10-21, 09:19 AM
OK, if you want to consider the two fighters trading swords to be a favorable trade for both, then just consider the case where they're higher level, or where they aren't allies, to compensate for it. You still run into the problem. And the problem isn't that Diplomacy doesn't work well for them, the same way that a greatsword doesn't work well for a wizard: They're not trying to do well. The problem is that it's not working at all; it's dysfunctional.

For my smooth-talkers example, if you want to be concrete, consider Keledrath's warlock/binder/marshal, who gets a 43 on his check without even rolling, at 3rd level. That's enough to convince his nemesis to make a horrible deal, so long as the nemesis is also level 3 and has no more than a +5 wis mod. So put two of those guys up against each other: Whichever one goes first is going to convince the other to make a deal so bad it instantly ends the encounter. And there's no realistic way the DM can prevent this from happening: Since we're already accounting for the worst circumstances possible (nemesis and horrible deal), there's not really much room for any more circumstance penalties, and the only other ways to increase the DC are by piling on a ton of wisdom (and whatever the opponent gets from Wis, the diplomancer can get twice that from Cha), or by piling on a ton of HD (at least a half-dozen or so more than the diplomancer has). And it'll only get worse with levels, because the diplomancer will always gain at least +1 per level just from skill ranks, and will probably accumulate a bunch of other miscellaneous bonuses (silvertongue mask soulmeld plus essentia, Cloaks of Charisma of various bonus, Circlet of Persuasion, ability score increases from levels, aging, or tomes, and so on).

If, instead, you make it an opposed skill check, then there's always a defense: Any bonuses the PC can get to Diplomacy, the enemy can, too, plus the modifiers for bad trades, enmity, etc. The diplomancer might still be able to smooth-talk most of the minions (who haven't invested in diplomacy), but at least you can stop him from convincing the boss.

Vhaidara
2014-10-21, 10:03 AM
If, instead, you make it an opposed skill check, then there's always a defense: Any bonuses the PC can get to Diplomacy, the enemy can, too, plus the modifiers for bad trades, enmity, etc. The diplomancer might still be able to smooth-talk most of the minions (who haven't invested in diplomacy), but at least you can stop him from convincing the boss.

First small note: The Giant's fix drops the bonus by 2, since it removes the synergy with Sense Motive

Second, the problem you run into there is that now every boss needs to have things like a level dip in Binder (or spend 2 feats to grab Naberius), a Warlock dip, and a Marshal dip to keep up.

Third, the Giant's fix changes the OUTCOME of the Diplomacy check. Rather than changing their attitude, you are making a single deal.

Fourth, numbers = borked in 3.5. Like, all of them. Anything with a set DC is way too easy (see the free-action sleight of hand = infinite movement dvati) when you set your mind too it. Making it scaling means that you at least have to work for it. By 3.5 rules, all my diplomancer needs is a couple Factotum levels to finish out the instant brainwashing of every person he meets. A diplomacy mod of more than +40 is useless to him, unless he's aiming for turning people Fanatic from Hostile (DC 150)

By 3.5: DC 35, never going to change. Sets them to Friendly
By fix: DC 35 (look familiar?) + HD + Wis mod. Makes 1 deal.

Fifth, to counter your example with the fighters: Why does a diplomacy check need to be made? Both parties are willing. Diplomacy exists for when one party isn't. So if Alice's sword was an ancient heirloom of her house, passed down through generations and meant only to be wielded by her blood, a Diplomacy check would be in order. And one that Alice would probably consider to be, at best, unfavorable.

Chronos
2014-10-21, 11:43 AM
The Binder dip is just to let you do it as a standard action. The defender doesn't need that. And the defender also doesn't need to have as many bonuses as the optimized diplomancer, because the modifiers for enmity and reasonableness of the request work in the defender's favor.

Fifth, to counter your example with the fighters: Why does a diplomacy check need to be made? Both parties are willing.
So what's the "favorable trade" half of the table there for, then?

dascarletm
2014-10-21, 11:58 AM
Snip
This right here. This is why influencing attitudes doesn't really matter.

Player: Diplomacy roll, 40. The BBEG is now friendly towards me. I tell him he needs to stop his master plan since we are friends.

DM: BBEG says, "Tis a shame I have to do this, you really seem like such a nice fellow too. Perhaps in a different life or in a different situation things may have turned out differently. Either lay down your arms and join me, or die. I will give you this offer though, I see so much of myself in you..."

Vhaidara
2014-10-21, 12:46 PM
The Binder dip is just to let you do it as a standard action. The defender doesn't need that. And the defender also doesn't need to have as many bonuses as the optimized diplomancer, because the modifiers for enmity and reasonableness of the request work in the defender's favor.

It's also for allowing you to take 10, which is a vast improvement to consistency. And further in, you do need those other bonuses. These are the numbers I'm reaching at level 3. I won't deny that it's front loaded, but the bonus only gets bigger, and it will outscale ranks quite easily.

So what's the "favorable trade" half of the table there for, then?

Maybe Alice is a N Fighter hunting a gold dragon, while Bob is NG hunting a white. Bob gains an advantage by making the trade (fire vs white dragon), but probably wouldn't favor Alice using his sword to hunt a good aligned dragon. Thus, in that case, Alice has to make the Diplomacy check to convince him of the trade.

Basically, in order for there to be a check, there needs to be a difficulty. If there is no difficulty, the is no DC, you just do it. Or do you force Listen checks every round of a conversation? Spot checks to tell whether or not you can see the rest of the party? Survival checks while outside to tell that it is raining? Knowledge (Local) to identify members of your own race (technically not possible without training)?

atemu1234
2014-10-21, 04:43 PM

Player: Diplomacy roll, 40. The BBEG is now friendly towards me. I tell him he needs to stop his master plan since we are friends.

DM: BBEG says, "Tis a shame I have to do this, you really seem like such a nice fellow too. Perhaps in a different life or in a different situation things may have turned out differently. Either lay down your arms and join me, or die. I will give you this offer though, I see so much of myself in you..."

Exactly. Villains are people too.

Vogonjeltz
2014-10-21, 06:04 PM
I've never experienced diplomacy being broken, because everybody seems to forget that "helpful" doesn't mean stupid.

You are trying to sneak in somewhere? Great! Diplomacy the guards they'll.... Refuse to let you in. "Sorry man, I'd love to grab a beer with you after my shift, but my boss would string me up by my balls if I let anybody in who isn't supposed to be, If you want I can put in a good word maybe get the paperwork for getting you authorized sped on its way?"

Diplomancy the shop keepers for cheap stuff? Maybe good for a free beer or two with your buddy the barkeep but if you think the magic item vendor is gonna give you expensive ass goodies you are dreaming. I spend money on my friends, but there's a difference between buying your buddies a burger and a beer and buying them a PS4.

Make friends with a priest? Why? Good churches typically already offer healing at cost, because there's always a God of Healing and if that chruch offers cheap healing the others will too or their congregation might not grow as much.

Diplomacy doesn't make people do what you want, it just makes them like you. And they'll have expectations of how their friends should treat them. Someone you abuse for cheap goods is gonna feel put upon in short order.

Diplomancy the BBEG? Alright, hes quite fond of you. Hes also quite fond of his master plan, so instead of killing you for interfering he'll just incapacitate you and apologize once you wake up. Or invite you to join him, since you are pals now clearly you'd like to help his plan right? Better live up to expectations or your relationship will sour fast.

The DC 90 check to turn an indifferent shop keeper into a fanatic who would be willing to simply hand you his stock comes up against other problems. It counts as mind effecting. So all the protections from mind control, which are going to be common by the time you make a dc 90 skill check apply. If a man sells half million GP items for a living do you really think he didn't invest in mind control protection? Do your PC's think they are the first people to think they could turn a potion of glibness into as much GP as they can carry in magical gear?

Heh, pretty much this.

Ettina
2014-10-21, 11:53 PM
Further, nothing is immune to Diplomancy. There is no clause preventing it from working on mindless creatures.

You have to share a common language with them. That makes things with no language and things who don't speak any of the languages the players speak immune to Diplomacy.

2014-10-22, 12:02 AM
You have to share a common language with them. That makes things with no language and things who don't speak any of the languages the players speak immune to Diplomacy.

Mindbender anyone?

Baroknik
2014-10-22, 01:24 AM

Add on 1 level of bard and give him a harmonica... Unless every single BBEG is immune to mind-affecting, it now is over.

TypoNinja
2014-10-23, 04:59 AM
Add on 1 level of bard and give him a harmonica... Unless every single BBEG is immune to mind-affecting, it now is over.

Lets be real here, hes not a real BBEG if mind control works on him. If mind control works hes a mini-boss at best.

dascarletm
2014-10-23, 10:16 AM
Yeah, BBEGs without mindblank or similar are really just the BHMfP (Big Helpful Minion for Players.)

Alex12
2014-10-23, 01:33 PM
Yeah, BBEGs without mindblank or similar are really just the BHMfP (Big Helpful Minion for Players.)

Also they're a big hint that something else is going on, and to watch out for the guy who's already controlling them.