PDA

View Full Version : Making a Hunter (the Halo one)

Necromas
2007-03-18, 01:23 PM
If you think the idea is ridiculous, I really don't need you to bother reading this and replying so you can tell me you don't like it.

Dex and Str Version
Race: Warforged
Template: Custom* (Powerful Build and +2 strength, +1 LA)
Class: Warforged Fighter/Whatever
Feats: Mithril Body, EWP: Orc Shotput, Quick Draw, Improved Shield Bash, Point Blank Shot, Far Shot, TWF. (Other good feats = rapid shot, precise shot, TWF tree, shield specialization)
Gear: Large Warforged Arm Cannon**, Large Heavy Adamantine Shield, Large Armor Spikes.
Magic Items: Exploding Orc Shotputs, beg the DM to allow a method to avoid having to buy 2-5 returning orc shotputs.

This is the less optimized version, but also less feat intensive and more like an actual hunter. Mithril body still provides decent armor, is blue, and allows you to have good dexterity for armor, ranged attacks, and TWF. If you think a hunter wouldn't be dextrous, just play Halo and watch them dodge rockets and perform acrobatic melee moves. You would use TWF to dual wield your shield bash attacks and either the armor spikes or a slam attack.

Str Only Version
Race: Warforged
Template: Custom* (Powerful Build and +2 strength, +1 LA)
Class: Warforged Fighter/Warforged Juggernaut
Feats: Adamantine Body, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, EWP: Orc Shotput, Brutal Throw, Quick Draw, Improved Shield Bash, Point Blank Shot, Far Shot, Shield Specialization, Agile Shield Fighter. (other good feats = rapid shot, precise shot)
Gear: Large Warforged Arm Cannon**, Large Heavy Adamantine Shield, Large Armor Spikes.
Magic Items: Exploding Orc Shotputs, beg the DM to allow a method to avoid having to buy 2-5 returning orc shotputs.

This version only really needs one stat besides constitution, and is a bit more "optimized". Adamantine body, although it would make you a green hunter, definitely gives you the insanely strong armor one would have. Brutal Throw and Agile Shield Fighter are used to replace the reliance on dex for ranged attacks and TWF, but prevents you from taking the rest of the TWF tree.

*Custom template is justified by looking at the goliaths, who have both powerful build and unbalanced stats for +1 LA. If you think it's too much, take out the +2 strength.

**The arm cannon is basically cosmetic, ripped off from the warforged armblade, it requires EWP: Orc Shotput and Quick Draw, and is used as a mechanism for firing Orc Shotputs. I want to have it give +10ft to the orc shotputs measely 10ft ranged incriment, but that'd have to be balanced out with a feat (bad), or firing shotputs 1 size smaller than normal (good).

P.S. A bludgeoning version of shield spikes would be nice, like, "Bigger Shield" or something silly like that. Also feel free to add constructive criticism.

Fizban
2007-03-18, 06:00 PM
There's a weapon in Frostburn, the icicle shooter or somesuch. Point is, it can be used to fire javalins, and might be helpful for statting up the weapon you need. I'm guessing you want this as a PC build, otherwise you could just homebrew a new race for them. Still, what makes warforged the right choice? I'd think putting a goliath in some big heavy armor would make more sense.

Gungnir
2007-03-18, 09:49 PM
I see why you might start from the Warforged, what with the apparent inability to remove their armor in the games, but starting from Goliath might be simpler. Then, I don't remember their rules specifically, so it may fit better this way.

Needs immunity/VERY strong resistance to mind-affecting spells, etc. Individual Lekgolo (Go from the Covenant language, yields a nice smoky flavour.) are actually colonies of worm-like creatures that work in extreme tandem. Unless someone had a spell made specifically to effect Lokgolo, it wouldn't work right.

A drop in charisma would fit in nicely, as would some racial bonus to being really scary.

If it's decided that Lekgolo could take off their armor, I'd suggest that the armor they get be specifically tailored for them (i.e., only Lekgolo can use it PERIOD), be quite overpowered, then actually give them a negative bonus to natural armor. Being made of worms is not conducive to a violent workplace without extremely nice protection.

Bonus points to you for making me think of putting the Hunters in DnD. Which then makes me think Exalted, which would be a much more fun environment to fight them in.

Stormthorn
2007-03-18, 10:35 PM
Why must they be war forged? You could make a new race and not have any silly little problems with tweaking it to fit the hunter. Also, i personaly dont know the rules and whatnot for warforged.