PDA

View Full Version : Just Started the Walking Dead Comic

2E Phoinex
2014-10-20, 10:26 PM
I've watched the show through season four and finally decided to give the comics a try since a friend of a friend claims it is much better.

I've finished Volume one, and so far I'm not that impressed. Don't get me wrong the art is neat and I am enjoying it, I'm just not sure that, on my limited budget, this is what I want to be spending my money on. It wasn't a terrible experience I just feel like I could have had at least if not more enjoyment out of my $10 by going to a movie or something.

So essentially my question is: if I haven't fallen in love with the comic after volume one am I going to later on? Do those of you who are fans of the comics feel like it got better after the initial volume?

For the record, I do like comics and reading; but, with this one my first impression is that I'll enjoy the TV show better and I'm comfortable without the extra nerd cred. If I should give it another chance let me know, because I don't want to miss out on something I could end up liking a lot.

Thanks.

Pex
2014-10-20, 11:53 PM
If the tv show was rated PG-13 or R, the comic would be rated R or NC-17. It is graphic, violent, and some parts they couldn't even show on cable. David Morrisey's Governor is Bambi compared to the comic Governor. What was only suggested may happen to tv Maggie, comic Michonne got much worse. As for comic Governor's fate, John Bobbit got off easy. You will recognize storylines in the comic since the tv show adopted them, including Carol and the girls, Bob and the cannibals, but the tv show toned it down a lot.

Some people might even call it depraved. It is absolutely not for the faint of heart.

tomandtish
2014-10-21, 01:44 PM
So essentially my question is: if I haven't fallen in love with the comic after volume one am I going to later on? Do those of you who are fans of the comics feel like it got better after the initial volume?

Like you I borrowed a friend's copies of TWD comic after Season 4 and read straight through. I did enjoy them, but I do prefer the show. OTOH, I don't know that I wouldn't enjoy the comic more if I had started with it.

Pex is definitely right though. If the show tried to match the violence of the comic it would have to be on a premium cable channel (HBO, Cinimax, etc.).