PDA

View Full Version : Scenario Idea: Plague Bearing Antipaladin Spreading Ghoul Fever?

MonkeySage
2014-10-21, 12:13 AM
In Pathfinder, antipaladins can carry disease without being affected by it, and from what I could gather this applies to supernatural diseases as well. One of the big bads of my story is a lawful evil antipaladin(still haven't worked out how to accomplish this), so this would give me an opportunity to roleplay one prior to said encounter. Perhaps he's out for revenge, or maybe he just wants to bring the city down. Maybe he wants power. He's infected with ghoul fever.

Do you all think this scenario might have potential?

Ghoul fever on it's own has a low fort save dc, but I'm wondering if I should adjust based on the antipaladin's stats.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-10-21, 01:55 AM
Of course it could work. Low DC fort save may not be threatening to PC's. But to commoners, they might as well be dead. Also, if it happens behind the scenes than it can even be done by DM fiat. The PC's could even walk into a village where the BBEG's victims are just starting to fall. And then later they can finally catch up with him.

The BBEG will of course need a few clerics to help control the undead. Maybe even grab the deathbound domain from 3.5 to increase their control capacity. Or maybe he just lets them run rampant.

My point is, that Ghoul fever is not the only feature going for anti-paladins. It might be easier just to make that his mode of operation, rather than beefing it up to be practical against the would-be heroes. But if it makes you feel better, I believe the Fort save DC is (10 + 1/2 HD plus CHA mod). But that might only be the case if that was his own supernatural ability... But as a DM you can tweak that and just say the DC is X, as long as you follow the above guideline.

As for motivation ... I don't really know. Why WOULD someone want to be an evil jerk? Revenge/power-hungry are probably your best bet. Maybe he's possessed by a demon.

DigitalCielo
2014-10-21, 02:05 AM
Well, if you're playing Pathfinder, why not make him a follower of Urgathoa? Someone like that would spread disease and undeath just for the sake of it.

MonkeySage
2014-10-21, 07:49 AM
Any ideas to how I might make a combat encounter more dangerous to my players in a short time frame? I'm working with 5 people, each level 6. the leader is a good cleric. that's the main issue I can see with the scenario, even if the big bad is high level. :) I like this scenario, now I just need to execute it properly. I didn't wanna do the cliched necromancer attacking a city with a zombie army thing.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-10-21, 09:23 PM
Give him a weapon that bestows negative levels upon hitting their target. Make sure he targets casters. Make sure he's got plenty of ghoul/ghast minions to back him up. Their paralysis touch can be pretty nasty.