PDA

View Full Version : DM Help they keep trying to skin everything

finaldooms
2014-10-21, 12:45 AM
so my party keeps trying to skin and or take apart pretty muh anything we fight if its a dragon -.- its getting annoying cause they are agruing about weither they get money forselling the parts and i keep telling thme no

TheCountAlucard
2014-10-21, 12:50 AM
Solve out-of-character problems with out-of-character talk. Explain the problem to your players, including why you feel it's a problem, then work with them for a solution.

Also maybe spellcheck your stuff before posting it.

Wacky89
2014-10-21, 12:52 AM
If there isn't market for skins, bodyparts etc. There is no market, simple as that. Tell them if they want to use the scales, that they should put skill points in Craft (Armorsmithing) or Craft (Weaponsmithing)

Rhunder
2014-10-21, 12:54 AM
Spell check would be nice.

Are they skinning a dragon? Because almost all of it could be sold, reused, or collected. And I say that's fair. A lot of things could be skinned and sold. Not for a lot, but completely possible.

Divide by Zero
2014-10-21, 12:55 AM
Sounds like the players want a different sort of game than you do. Talk to them about it. Be willing to compromise.

jaydubs
2014-10-21, 12:58 AM
If it's something your players want to do, why not let them? You can always just adjust down the amount of loot they get from those types of creatures. They get to have a cool RP thing they seem to enjoy doing, and nothing gets unbalanced.

Is there a reason that wouldn't fit the campaign?

Seerow
2014-10-21, 01:00 AM
So what's the problem? They're only trying to skin dragons and not every monster they come across? Dragon Scale/Hide is traditionally very valuable, and a big reason people go dragon hunting. But even if they wanted to skin literally everything, is that a problem?

And if their first thought is to sell the stuff rather than use it to craft things for themselves, is it possible that you are just not giving them enough loot to keep them happy? I know I've had players who when fighting stuff that doesn't typically have a lot of gold, start taking those things bodies and trying to find ways to turn it into gold instead.

Troacctid
2014-10-21, 01:09 AM
Are they making the appropriate skill checks? Profession (Furrier) or Craft (Leatherworking) or the like? You can't just skin an animal with no training and expect to get something usable.

Inevitability
2014-10-21, 01:37 AM
You could also use a little fudgery. The players are lugging tons of skins back to town? Good, they'll gain some money for it.

However, just lower the treasure in the next dungeon by this amount. Your players won't notice, and they get to skin things.

Alternatively, a bear skin might fetch a high price, but how about a bear skin with several arrows sticking out of it, three large tears from the barbarian's greatsword, and a few burn marks? If the players want the skin to be worth something, have them reflect that in their combat style.

Xelbiuj
2014-10-21, 07:49 AM
Is the only reason because you don't want to give them extra money?

You should probably concede the point and crack open the Draconomicon.

Is your campaign designed to keep their wealth artificially low? Well they probably should be dragon slayers.

lytokk
2014-10-21, 11:57 AM
I don't so much see the issue. My players are of the same camp. Leave nothing to waste. They're constantly pulling the skin or chitin off of any non-humanoid enemy. If its got a natural armor bonus, it can be worked with into something is the rule I introduced. They've taken ranks in Craft (primitive smithing), which is the skill I created just to cover this stuff. It needs a better name but for now it works. Covers using the barbs from a manticore to make javelins, to using ankheg shells to make armor for the druid and barding for the animal companions. In one of my games they used the pelt from a dire wolf to make a thicker cloak, and the down feathers from a roc to make pillows, not to mention the roc himself made a nice dinner, esp after it got fireballed to sear in the natural flavor.

daremetoidareyo
2014-10-21, 12:32 PM
If I just slew a rust monster, or a dragon, or a roper, or a manticore, you better bet that you want a memento. Heck, look at our current fashion: why do people wear cheetah print? because badA chieftans and warriors back in the day killed cheetahs, leopards, & lions and man did wearing that stuff around make them seem cool. The same psychology is in play here. These PCs, and the players that use them, just accomplished the most daring of deeds. You better bet that if they can't fashion that experience onto their actual being, that they want to sell the proof of their awesomeness to others.

Set up rules for time to fillet a creature based on size. Give synergy bonuses from survival, healing, and profession: butchering. Give a price, negatively modified for how they took the creature down, ("dammit mark, why did you have to acid arrow him, that is 3 square feet of hide that we can't use!") and let them have their trophies. If you are worried about gold wealth balance, introduce thieves, taxes, bad deals, and occasional towns with higher prices (probably cap that at a 15% increase, however).

Would you rather be a barbarian with elven chain shirt and a +2 waraxe of icy blast or a barbarian with dragon scale splint mail, made from a dragon that the barbarian killed himself, using a lich-bone javelin and a war axe made with dead treant, and obsidian hewn from an elemental, both of which were slain by the same barbarian. One character could shop, the other could chop.

gorfnab
2014-10-21, 12:41 PM
The Draconomincon contains many items that can be made out of dragon parts. The feat Dragoncraft (also from Draconomincon) is set up for players who want to make dragon items. Dragon Magazine #332 has an article called "Cutting Up the Dragon" that list several items that can be from dragons.

Curmudgeon
2014-10-21, 12:43 PM
so my party keeps trying to skin and or take apart pretty muh anything we fight if its a dragon -.- its getting annoying cause they are agruing about weither they get money forselling the parts and i keep telling thme no
Well, your basic problem is that the players are right. See the article "Cutting Up the Dragon" in Dragon # 332 on page 48. They do get money for selling the parts, if they do it right.

Trasilor
2014-10-21, 01:36 PM

What are you annoyed by?

Taking up game-time to dissect the body?
Players are immersing themselves in your game. Congrats, this is key to great role-playing.

Too much wealth?
Wealth is a river to which you (the DM) controls the flow. Give less money next session. Make the gems/art objects they found worth less. They don't know the current rate on body parts, perhaps the locals shop owners swindle the PCs. Small towns have little money - they get what they can get. Without the proper skill checks, the resulting 'skins' may be worth less. Lots of ways to control the wealth.

You have an excellent opportunity to capitalize on your players taking interest in the game - use it to your advantage. PCs who frequently bring rare parts/hides from magical beasts would garner a reputation. Have shop keepers complain of the damaged pelts (acid burns, arrow holes, large cuts from the greatsword, etc).

EisenKreutzer
2014-10-21, 01:48 PM

Are you putting your party up against a lot of dragons? Seems like this should be a very rarely encountered problem.

Do they have the neccessary skills to skin dragons? If not, they would in all likelihood end up with unusable strips of hide.

Lycoris
2014-10-21, 01:54 PM
I ran into this scenario when I ran my playgroup through the "Sunless Citadel" campaign, though in our case, it was more an issue of volume and condition. Wyrmlings aren't the largest source of material to work with, especially after you tried to raise it as a zombie minion to fight a goblin horde. In the end, I let the town craftsmen make a few aesthetic accessories for the party at minimal cost.

That those same accessories are probably decorating the Gulthias tree by now would have to be a story for another time. :smalltongue:

finaldooms
2014-10-21, 02:15 PM
yea sorry about the bad spelling , i was typing without looking and hit post without checking myself.

im running a game where the party have items that actually attract dragons ( currently have killed 2 dragons and the party is lvl 5 roughly) ( young green and a juvenile copper)

and since i was just speed posting i didn't explain anything im sorry :)
..the issue im having is not they want to skin every dragon exactly but that it ends up taking so long to do anything because suddenly they are arguing about what to do with each piece..
the giant wants the skull to make a shoulder guard..then the artificer argues about using it for something else such as a chest piece
the sorc wants a tooth from said skull to make a dagger which from what he says " is automatically a +1 dagger with +1 damage of the corresponding element ( so a +1 dagger of acid 1d4 +1 acid)" i personally have not have time to check that so i told him he could carry the fang until he found someone to craft it
..the unarmed fighter is mad because he isn't getting anything out of it and he has to walk up to the dragons to hit them while worrying about AOO..but i honestly don't care about him since he nearly caused the party to kill him by being an ass

anyways its mostly the in party fighting thats causing me such an annoyance..and thats a good point about the skills >> im probably going to require them to put points in those skills cause i was thinking its kinda stupid that they can jsut take the parts without any problems

Drackstin
2014-10-21, 02:31 PM
As a play i do this in every game, not just for dragons, for just about anything, my barbarian has skulls and hides all over him, i use parts to make weapons and armor and shops (it reduces the cost to make the item but takes time for it to be made) and sometimes just sell stuff, its only a survival check to skin something, so depending on the monster, make a DC, normally i do wolfs 10, and go up from there. adding little effects to items based on the monster is cool too. lets say they slay a red dragon, if they rolled a 25 or 30 survival check and got the flame sacs and enough scales and bone to make a greatsword, let it do a 1d6 fire damage. they would have to pay for a masterwork greatsword, and pay someone to make it and wait the time, but its worth it. im also a long time DM and i love when my players think outside the box and i allow this because it shows they want something that would be feasible in the game but was never added.

Magesmiley
2014-10-21, 02:34 PM
If you're looking for a simple solution... all that arguing attracts a much bigger and larger relative of the dragon that they are in the process of dismembering (and which was already in the vicinity due to the item you mentioned). Big and nasty enough to make them run and run fast if they are even moderately smart. Perhaps vengeful enough to take apart the worst offender(s) and turn their corpse(s) into sock puppets for its amusement.

If they whine about the dragon being too tough for their level, point them to the section in the DMG where it indicates that a percentage of the encounters should be too tough for the PCs.

I suppose if you're feeling generous you could let the PCs find out that there is a big dragon in the area before they encounter the smaller one. If you do and they still behave foolishly with the small dragon, let them have it with both barrels - they had a fair warning.

TheIronGolem
2014-10-21, 02:41 PM
yea sorry about the bad spelling , i was typing without looking and hit post without checking myself.

im running a game where the party have items that actually attract dragons ( currently have killed 2 dragons and the party is lvl 5 roughly) ( young green and a juvenile copper)

and since i was just speed posting i didn't explain anything im sorry :)
..the issue im having is not they want to skin every dragon exactly but that it ends up taking so long to do anything because suddenly they are arguing about what to do with each piece..
the giant wants the skull to make a shoulder guard..then the artificer argues about using it for something else such as a chest piece
the sorc wants a tooth from said skull to make a dagger which from what he says " is automatically a +1 dagger with +1 damage of the corresponding element ( so a +1 dagger of acid 1d4 +1 acid)" i personally have not have time to check that so i told him he could carry the fang until he found someone to craft it
..the unarmed fighter is mad because he isn't getting anything out of it and he has to walk up to the dragons to hit them while worrying about AOO..but i honestly don't care about him since he nearly caused the party to kill him by being an ass

anyways its mostly the in party fighting thats causing me such an annoyance..and thats a good point about the skills >> im probably going to require them to put points in those skills cause i was thinking its kinda stupid that they can jsut take the parts without any problems

So your problem isn't really "My players want to skin all the dragons they kill". Your problem is "My players spend too much time arguing over how to divide the loot".

What I would recommend is that before starting your next game, you require the players to agree on how to divide loot, and then make sure they stick to it.

As for that fighter, that's a whole different problem and you should start another thread if you're not sure how to deal with that player.

Drackstin
2014-10-21, 02:56 PM
As for the the fang being poison, thats a no, the dragons teeth dont have poison in them, the spit poison from glands in the body, also all it would be is a bone dagger, maybe masterwork if someone can craft it that good, it would just be a material. and like i said before, if they had maybe a poison sac from the dragon they might be able to make it have 1d4 acid damage on each hit, but no weapon is made at +1 for its material, even adamatine and mithral is only masterwork when made.

as for the fighter, he is not thinking outside the box, if he thinks he is not getting anything tell him to think harder. fighters still need armor, and not to be dumb.

now about the party arguing, all you have to say is what the dragon parts do, there is a chart in the dragonomicon that tells you what size dragon can make how much armor. it also tells you the specs and the cost, the skull is just for looks. if you want to forgo the whole dragon armor ability at all they are fighting over nothing. i would just say, look at the chart, tell them what they can get made, and if they dont want it then sell the parts. also skinning a monster is a survival check. i would also take into account how they killed it, so say make a % of the full hide unusable, then take the survival roll and take the % out of whats left, it will give them less to take and less to argue over.

finaldooms
2014-10-21, 03:21 PM
ive already decided the next time the fighter causes as much trouble as he did im just going to tell him he cant play anymore. the way he played his character killed a young child and the rest of the party was pissed..i ended up deciding that didnt happen but gave him a warning.

i figured that was the case for the dagger thanks for clarifying that for me :) ..and the ideas about having bigger dragons showing up sounds like a good idea ..honestly ive been trying to keep the fights manageable since i didnt want to try killing the party yet..although a pack ..flock.. of 8 cockatrice nearly did it since suddenly everyone was rolling low on fort saves :)
il talk to them and il manage the wealth as stated cause im normally stingy but this time ive been giving out tons of gold and items this time because i knew it would be a challenge running this

lytokk
2014-10-21, 03:35 PM
for the unarmed fighter, just a thought, why not make some dragon toothed spiked gauntlets? All they would be is normal spiked gauntlets, just made out of dragon teeth and claws.

Wacky89
2014-10-21, 03:42 PM
As for the the fang being poison, thats a no, the dragons teeth dont have poison in them, the spit poison from glands in the body, also all it would be is a bone dagger, maybe masterwork if someone can craft it that good, it would just be a material. and like i said before, if they had maybe a poison sac from the dragon they might be able to make it have 1d4 acid damage on each hit, but no weapon is made at +1 for its material, even adamatine and mithral is only masterwork when made.

that's actually not true, Dragonfang Weapon is from Draconomicon p. 117-118. It counts as masterworked and deals 1 energy damage of the appropiate dragons breath weapon energy type

finaldooms
2014-10-22, 02:06 AM
that might be what he was trying to refer to, he kept saying it made it a +1 weapon as well just for creating it..and the artifcer will need to take dragoncrafting if he wants to make anything with it right?.. cause il probly need to let him know ..although he is a bit of an ass and tries to be a know it all

Drackstin
2014-10-22, 07:00 AM
without out dragoncrafting its just a normal bone dagger. so yes, he would need to take the feat, that should be drawback enough for them to forget about crafting stuff with the materials. also make it hard and a large price adjustment for them to find someone that can do it for them. also take into account the weight of all the items, in skyrim a small bundle of bones is 15 pounds and scales are 10 pounds, a normally dragon drops about 3 of each, compare that to the armor chart for dragons by size so you can see how much they have and how it hinders them, remember even the biggest bag of holding has a limit, and they need to wrap the claws and fangs, (many sharp scales too) or the bag explodes.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-10-22, 09:04 AM
If arguing about the distribution is the main problem just tell them to settle it after the session. They won't find a crafter/start crafting in the middle of the dungeon anyway, so just have them bundle it up and decide on their own time what to do with it.

Psyren
2014-10-22, 09:08 AM
Well, your basic problem is that the players are right. See the article "Cutting Up the Dragon" in Dragon # 332 on page 48. They do get money for selling the parts, if they do it right.

Since when did we start assuming every DM/table has every issue of Dragon Magazine? :smallconfused:

@ OP: If you don't want them skinning dragons just say the parts are worthless in this campaign, and/or ask them OOC to stop. You can also mix things up a bit by using different monsters. Nobody is going to try skinning elementals or mummies.

Segev
2014-10-22, 09:15 AM
1) Taking too long to discuss loot usage: When they want to do this, but you feel it's bogging down the game, pause the game and, OOC, suggest that they have this discussion after the session is over, since they can't use the stuff right then and there without stopping for a while and crafting the gear, anyway.

2) Dragon Parts doing stuff: If nothing else, the fang of a copper dragon could count as the materials cost for a +1 caustic dagger, cutting the price in half if hiring somebody to make it, or eliminating the cost in gp entirely if the party has a guy with Craft Magic Arms and Armor. Treat the fang as the half-price that normally goes into it, and then all the crafter must pay is exp. If the crafter wants to charge the other PC, that's up to him, of course.

3) If you have a player being an ass to the point that you don't care if he's having fun, you really, really need to talk to him OOC. There's a problem you must resolve with him if this isn't going to become much more serious.

finaldooms
2014-10-22, 01:03 PM
ive had to talk to him multiple times..he only tries to pull crap when im the one running so ive told him and the rest of the group next time he tries something again i will not let him in the group i run again and i most likely will not play in any group he is a part of

and i think i have the dragon mags in my computer somewhere lol i just havnt had time to look through everything like i should have i admit

Curmudgeon
2014-10-22, 02:32 PM
Since when did we start assuming every DM/table has every issue of Dragon Magazine? :smallconfused:
We don't need to make that assumption. However, since the question was whether dragon parts were worth money, and that article answered the question, that's the RAW of it. The DM is free to make up something different (regardless of whether they have access to a particular source), but it's always good to know what the game authors decided before you begin to address a problem on your own. While we shouldn't assume that every DM has access to a particular source, it's a disservice not to direct them to a particular source by assuming that they don't have access.

Kevingway
2014-10-22, 02:40 PM
It's a running joke in my party. They fought a Winter Wolf once and asked if they could skin it or loot it in any other way possible. When we got to the teeth, I finally told them, "No, all of it's teeth are broken."

Now whenever they start picking something apart (whether it's looting, problem solving, whatever), they compare it to trying to loot teeth.

Trasilor
2014-10-22, 03:36 PM
We don't need to make that assumption. However, since the question was whether dragon parts were worth money, and that article answered the question, that's the RAW of it. The DM is free to make up something different (regardless of whether they have access to a particular source), but it's always good to know what the game authors decided before you begin to address a problem on your own. While we shouldn't assume that every DM has access to a particular source, it's a disservice not to direct them to a particular source by assuming that they don't have access.

Actually, I appreciate Curmudgeon for sourcing the relevant article. Many times people say X is true without sourcing it, thus making the information non-verifiable and thus practically useless.

Regarding the OP's problems, it sounds like two issues: time management and a player dictating the rules. Both of these are OOC problem.

Knowing what your players are going to do (skin dragons), I suggest you embrace it. Take a little bit of time and either read up on the aforementioned articles about dragon parts, or devise a straight forward guide to handling the carcass. Unless the players take time to learn about the dragon parts market, they will not know what to take or how to take it.

The fighter who wants the magical dragon tooth dagger - well that requires magic (and a feat), not just a dragon tooth. Even craft (weaponsmithing) wouldn't produce a weapon quickly or easily - especially without a forge/workshop.

Remember, all these things require CRAFT checks or SURVIVAL checks and in some cases a FEAT - that alone may deter some of the sillier shenanigans. Just because the fighter knows how to swing a sword to kill a dragon, doesn't mean they know how to properly skin and preserve the hide (or for that matter extract teeth, poison, acid, etc.)

finaldooms
2014-10-29, 01:14 AM
yea thanks agian, ive explained to them that im going to look at the various books for this and get back to them in time to play again :)

Andezzar
2014-10-29, 07:59 AM
If nothing else, the fang of a copper dragon could count as the materials cost for a +1 caustic dagger, cutting the price in half if hiring somebody to make it, or eliminating the cost in gp entirely if the party has a guy with Craft Magic Arms and Armor. Treat the fang as the half-price that normally goes into it, and then all the crafter must pay is exp. If the crafter wants to charge the other PC, that's up to him, of course.There is no such rule and AFAIK the WSA you are looking for is corrosive not caustic. On the other hand Draconomicon has rules for making weapons out of dragon teeth (p. 117 f.). However such a weapon would not be magic it would be a masterwork weapon that deals one extra point of energy damage appropriate to the dragon the tooth came from. You need pretty large teeth to make those weapons.

Duke of Urrel
2014-10-29, 08:21 AM
Are they making the appropriate skill checks? Profession (Furrier) or Craft (Leatherworking) or the like? You can't just skin an animal with no training and expect to get something usable.

This hits the nail right on the head.

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-29, 08:38 AM
I would cook up a short list of parts the party can use (skull, bones, skin, claws, ect) and have the party fill in what they want to make. Skinning a dragon should take a while, as I know of no rules overriding the crafting rules. A skin worth 1000gp must be created using the crafting rules, so unless you apply magic, it could take weeks to cure properly.

If the party wizard spams fabricate, then I could see this happening, but big dragons are bigger than fabricate can handle. 10ft^3 per CL isn't very much volume when it comes to a giant lizard. A large creature weighs between 500lbs to 2 tons. Approximate the same density as water...

They can do a large creature (two tons of water is roughly 64 cubic feet, IE CL 7), but huge creatures could take up much more than a CL 20 fabricate spell can handle (capping out at 500 cubic feet and CL 50).

Trasilor
2014-10-29, 10:08 AM
I would cook up a short list of parts the party can use (skull, bones, skin, claws, ect) and have the party fill in what they want to make. Skinning a dragon should take a while, as I know of no rules overriding the crafting rules. A skin worth 1000gp must be created using the crafting rules, so unless you apply magic, it could take weeks to cure properly.

If the party wizard spams fabricate, then I could see this happening, but big dragons are bigger than fabricate can handle. 10ft^3 per CL isn't very much volume when it comes to a giant lizard. A large creature weighs between 500lbs to 2 tons. Approximate the same density as water...

They can do a large creature (two tons of water is roughly 64 cubic feet, IE CL 7), but huge creatures could take up much more than a CL 20 fabricate spell can handle (capping out at 500 cubic feet and CL 50).

You are assuming you are fabricating the entire carcass including blood, internal organs, etc. If I wanted to fabricate just the hide, all you would be targeting is the actual skin of the dragon. As such 90 cu ft (minimum amount) can go a long way. :smallamused:

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-29, 10:12 AM
The skin has a high GP value. Skinning the dragon uses the craft rules unless someone can point to a place they are overridden. To skin the dragon could take weeks without the fabricate spell.

Yes, once skinned, Fabricate could be used to generate armor and such fairly easily, but breaking the dragon down into useful materials is still a craft use. Craft uses take a long time.

Lightlawbliss
2014-10-29, 10:31 AM
...Nobody is going to try skinning elementals or mummies.

Well, actually... I have had characters that tried both. I "skinned" an earth elemental and turned it into a shield. I used a mummy's wrappings to try (and fail) to look like one myself.

And I am in the "Let them skin it" camp. Even if they have no mechanical advantage from it, they are enjoying it. I would count them arguing over who gets what in the "roleplay time" bucket and consider it a great chance to get ready for the next few encounters.

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-29, 11:07 AM
Well, actually... I have had characters that tried both. I "skinned" an earth elemental and turned it into a shield. I used a mummy's wrappings to try (and fail) to look like one myself.

And I am in the "Let them skin it" camp. Even if they have no mechanical advantage from it, they are enjoying it. I would count them arguing over who gets what in the "roleplay time" bucket and consider it a great chance to get ready for the next few encounters.

Don't take my rules debate to mean I don't approve of letting them skin it. I had a great game where the DM basically let one of the party members harvest all kinds of stuff from creatures and just let it be part of the reward. Blood or organs of monsters could be treated like a potion. It fit one of the party members backstory to be a tribal monster slayer, so he just ran with it. Fun roleplay experience.

Curmudgeon
2014-10-29, 11:20 AM
Yes, once skinned, Fabricate could be used to generate armor and such fairly easily, but breaking the dragon down into useful materials is still a craft use. Craft uses take a long time.
Actually, such use is outside the limits of the Fabricate spell.
You convert material of one sort into a product that is of the same material. Armor isn't a product of just one sort of material. Hide armor includes (in addition to the hide) oil, glue, thread, metal grommets, and a quilted cloth underlayer. The armor also isn't complete without a set of metal gauntlets.
Medium and heavy armors (except breastplate) come with gauntlets.

Lightlawbliss
2014-10-29, 01:43 PM
Actually, such use is outside the limits of the Fabricate spell. Armor isn't a product of just one sort of material. Hide armor includes (in addition to the hide) oil, glue, thread, metal grommets, and a quilted cloth underlayer. The armor also isn't complete without a set of metal gauntlets.

The hide can contain oils the spell can use.
Hide glue is a rather common type of glue, assuming hide armor even uses glue.
The "Thread" would likely be made of scrap hide or leather even in normal production.
grommets don't need to be metal, they could also be made from scrap hide or leather. you could also just fold some scrap over the edges and sew it down to replace grommets
The padding underneath can also be made from hide or leather.
Where does it say gauntlets have to be metal? You could also use gauntlets made of a very stiff leather or many layers of hide.

Looks to me like fabricate can do it.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-29, 01:56 PM
Looks to me like fabricate can do it.

At least, fabricate can do most of it. It could shape the hide into the proper pieces, and make glue and straps and such. You'd still (probably) need some other non-hide materials (sinew, etc), though.

Trasilor
2014-10-29, 02:09 PM
My reading of Fabricate is that it pushes the crafting time down to zero.

You convert material of one sort into a product that is of the same material. Creatures or magic items cannot be created or transmuted by the fabricate spell. The quality of items made by this spell is commensurate with the quality of material used as the basis for the new fabrication. If you work with a mineral, the target is reduced to 1 cubic foot per level instead of 10 cubic feet.

You must make an appropriate Craft check to fabricate articles requiring a high degree of craftsmanship.

Basically, if you have the raw materials, you can make a craft check to create a finished product. In this case, the finished product is a hide of dragon. Not to be confused with hide armor, or any other product, but actual cured "dragon leather". Assuming the wizard can make the appropriate Craft (Leather working/Tanning) DC (which is set by the DM as there is no listed DC for skinning/tanning leather), he should be able to craft such leather.

Dragonhide Armor is worth 2x the Masterwork cost of such armor. However, crafting rules state you need only 1/3 of this value in raw materials. Then there is the 50% Adventurer Tax on all looted items. The only exception are trade goods. However leather/furs/hide are not listed as a trade good so their value is unfortunately up to the DM.

Price by size of dragon based on the following assumptions:

1) 50% adventure tax
2) Armorsmith is making Armor for a Medium Creature.

Dragon Size
Armor Made
Value of dragonhide

Large
Hide
55 gp

Huge
Banded Mail
83 gp

Gargantuan
Half-Plate
216 gp

Colossal
Full-Plate
583 gp

In addition PC would get another 56 gp for the accompanying large shield.

Curmudgeon
2014-10-29, 02:23 PM
Where does it say gauntlets have to be metal?
Player's Handbook, pages 117-118 (the Equipment chapter):
Gauntlet: This metal glove protects your hands and lets you deal lethal damage rather than nonlethal damage with unarmed strikes. A strike with a gauntlet is otherwise considered an unarmed attack. The cost and weight given are for a single gauntlet. Medium and heavy armors (except breastplate) come with gauntlets.

Trasilor
2014-10-29, 02:29 PM
Player's Handbook, pages 117-118 (the Equipment chapter):
[snipped]

Isn't that superseded by the Dragonhide special material?

Armorsmiths can work with the hides of dragons to produce armor or shields of masterwork quality. One dragon produces enough hide for a single suit of masterwork hide armor for a creature one size category smaller than the dragon. By selecting only choice scales and bits of hide, an armorsmith can produce one suit of masterwork banded mail for a creature two sizes smaller, one suit of masterwork half-plate for a creature three sizes smaller, or one masterwork breastplate or suit of full plate for a creature four sizes smaller. In each case, enough hide is available to produce a small or large masterwork shield in addition to the armor, provided that the dragon is Large or larger.

Because dragonhide armor isn’t made of metal, druids can wear it without penalty.

As such, the accompanying gauntlets for Dragonhide armor would not be made of metal.