PDA

View Full Version : Feats you would take for free

Cybris75
2014-10-21, 05:28 AM
In our current campaign, PCs are members of a big organization with special training facilities in all kinds of endeavours. As a perk, they will receive a bonus feat because of their advancement in this organization.

I'm looking for feats that open up new subsystems, give minor interesting mechanical benefits, but which you usually wouldn't take unless you need them.

The feat list I have so far:

Skill Focus
Spell Focus
Weapon Focus
Simple, Martial, oder Exotic Weapon Proficiency
Light, Medium, Heavy, oder Exotic Armor Proficiency
Shield oder Tower Shield Proficiency
Martial Study
Martial Stance
Hidden Talent
Bind Vestige
Shape Soulmeld
Cooperative Magic
Magical Training
Arcane Disciple

These feats are solely for the granting new minor options and introduction of new subsystems without overwhelming players with completely new classes.

Alternatively, they can get their choice of two bonus languages or skilltricks.

Any ideas which feats could be added to that list?

questionmark693
2014-10-21, 05:32 AM
There's a series of feats in either Complete Arcane or Complete Mage that gives you some cantrips (maybe first level spells?) as sla's once a day. Those seem in line with what you're looking for.

Cybris75
2014-10-21, 05:51 AM
There's a series of feats in either Complete Arcane or Complete Mage that gives you some cantrips (maybe first level spells?) as sla's once a day. Those seem in line with what you're looking for.

Nice find, that's exactly the kind of stuff I need.

Also, I'm thinking about adding Sword of the Arcane Order to that list.

questionmark693
2014-10-21, 06:02 AM
Spellfire wielder is a first level only feat, but it is a fun subsystem, and not too powerful. Also, you could look at extra invocation potentially, though with some restrictions.

TypoNinja
2014-10-21, 06:30 AM
Any of the "feat tax" feats that are generally only picked up because a PrC wants them would seem to be really good choices here. Stuff like Iron Will, Dodge, alertness, Endurance. You already have some of them with Spell and Skill Focus. Just keep going. This is a really good way to give a player a feat that is not powerful but still something they want, so it'll still feel like a decent reward for their efforts.

Consider adding weapon specialization as well, this would let some non-fighters qualify for a couple of fighter only PrC's, could have interesting results.

Vhaidara
2014-10-21, 07:09 AM
I would personally just give them a bonus feat, and ask them to justify it within the organization. You have a pretty serious span (Bind Vestige/Shape Soulmeld/Martial Study on the high end, Focus feats on the other), and I would personally view that as a problem.