PDA

View Full Version : Optimized (OP) level 7 character

F1zban
2014-10-21, 12:38 PM
Hi Forum,

As is our (my gaming group) tradition, we have a special game for Halloween that is usually very silly, fun, and a chance for people to use crazy OP characters they have thought up over the past year. Now because I have been neck deep in work this year I haven't had much of a chance to scour D&D for the next best optimization so I ask you all, what can I build. Story and terms are as follows:

Nightmare Before Christmas Theme.
The town of Halloween has begun an invasion of the mortal realm, each of the other holiday worlds (modern/obscure holidays allowed) has sent a champion to prevent this. We (players) play those champions. Holidays already taken are Christmas and Black Friday.
For character build anything goes. The only two restrictions are; it must be 3rd or 3.5 edition and no homebrew. Everything else is Gravy. Characters at level 7, rolled stats are 18-16-14-14-12-10. Rolled them like 5 times in front of the GM, he kept saying "Hmm, not really what you need, roll again." and finally settled on "Now you'll maybe survive!" Yeah, it's a one time game so we fully expect to fight Orcus or something.

As always, thanks in advance.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-21, 12:45 PM
For one-offs, Artificer can be pretty hardcore. Spend your WBL on crafting wands, and go effing nuts. Burn all 50 charges, it doesn't matter.

ETA: Since you make items, you can be Santa.

Eldaran
2014-10-21, 01:50 PM
Maybe try an awakened Turkey psion to represent Thanksgiving? I'm not sure where'd you find the stats for a Turkey, but if you got the Awaken cast maximized and empowered you end up with 18+(3d6)/2 base Int, which is pretty damn nice.

Oddman80
2014-10-21, 07:44 PM
Ok... So in no way is this optimized... But a St. Patrick's Day, Drunken Master would be pretty funny.

There was a post last 4th of July, for ultimate 'merican patriot themed optimization...

Druid.... For Arbor Day?

Eno Remnant
2014-10-21, 08:15 PM
At level 7, the best option I can suggest is a Bard. Not even kidding, check this out:

Max out Perform (Sing), get a bunch of items to enhance it.
Buy a Harmonizing Dagger (the Harmonizing weapon enchantment lets the weapon sing for you, duration equal to your Charisma modifier in rounds. It also grants +6 to Perform [Sing] checks) and conceal it on your person.
Buy Gauntlets of Heightened Overwhelm (expensive, will cost most of your WBL).

From there, it's simple. In any fight with a solo opponent, tell your team to hang back. Fascinate the opponent (the DC is your Perform check, you should not have enemies passing this at that level if you've done it right), then stroll up to them all innocent before hitting them with a touch from your gauntlets. So long as the enemy isn't immune to mind-affecting, they'll struggle to make a Will save against an (effectively) 9th level spell that deals non-lethal damage equal to their HP to them. It's then a simple task to coupe de grace them.

Applicable holidays: Fastinating someone and then knocking them out? Valentine's day. Singing exuberantly and then getting in a punch-up? St. Patrick's Day.

F1zban
2014-10-22, 07:33 AM
Ok, how about this for an Idea. Guy Fawkes after being burned, or the bonfire itself? Basically need a fire user at level 7. Any race, any template, any class, gestalt allowed, what have we got?

Also, anyone got the link for that patriot character mentioned above?

GreyBlack
2014-10-22, 07:45 AM
7 bard with leadership, dragonfire inspiration, and an alphorn. Your cohort is an artificer. Stand 5 miles behind the front lines and send your mooks at the enemy, all of whom are beefed up with your artificer building custom stuff.

ETA: Oh, and I guess you need a flavor for it. Champion of the Feast of Dionysus, you run drunken revelry and people follow you for it. Artificer likes to invent stuff like never ending wineskins.

Pilo
2014-10-22, 07:49 AM
Why not a sorcerer6/Risen Martyr 1? Like the famous bearded man of Christmas, no, not the old one, the dead one?

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-22, 08:21 AM
Why not a sorcerer6/Risen Martyr 1? Like the famous bearded man of Christmas, no, not the old one, the dead one?

Risen Martyr kicks ass for one-offs when tossed onto a Charisma-based build. Here's one that I tossed together in a different thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18170038&postcount=22) (originally for E6, but I'll modify it for 7th level):

Race: White Dragonspawn Kobold
Starting Ability Scores (after racial adjustments): Str 8, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 17
Level 1: Monk 1; Nimbus of Light
Level 2: Sorcerer 1
Level 3: Sorcerer 2; Draconic Reservoir
Level 4: Sorcerer 3; Ability Score Increase (Charisma)
Level 5: Sorcerer 4
Level 6: Sorcerer 5/Risen Martyr 0; Ascetic Mage
Level 7: Sorcerer 5/Risen Martyr 1
Final Ability Scores: Str 8, Dex 16, Con —, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 20
Thanks to Ascetic Mage and Risen Martyr, you get (1 untyped + Cha untyped + Cha deflection) added to your AC, for an AC of 32 [Dex +3, Natural +8, Untyped +6, Deflection +5] (touch 24, flat-footed 29). Before magic items.

Take both Draconic Rites of Passage, with the Lesser sometime before 3rd level. You cast as a 7th-level sorcerer, woo! Your HD are all d12s, so you have 45 HP. Because you're of the Deathless type, you're immune to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and mind-affecting spells and abilities, as well as critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, ability damage, fatigue, exhaustion, and anything that requires a Fortitude save that doesn't also affect objects.

F1zban
2014-10-22, 10:01 AM
That's a tasty build. I'll have to use the level 6 version as the dragonspawn is LA+1. Also I think kobolds don't apply for the template as they are not humanoid. I may be wrong.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-22, 10:06 AM
That's a tasty build. I'll have to use the level 6 version as the dragonspawn is LA+1. Also I think kobolds don't apply for the template as they are not humanoid. I may be wrong.

Oh yes, forgot that the build (in part) hinges on LA turning into lower point buy in E6. Whoops!

Also, Kobolds are Humanoid (Reptilian), so it works as long as you aren't Dragonwrought. Except even then I think it does, because you apply templates before choosing class levels, and you choose class levels before you choose feats.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-10-22, 10:49 AM
I don't have a build handy, but I would absolutely make a Dread Pirate for International Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Edit:

Found these and had to mention them.

Dirgesinger for The Day the Music Died.

Scout for Boy Scout Day.

Jester for April Fool's Day.

Save the Rhino Day, there was an earlier Photo Optimization post where you could
get a build. Pic was a samurai with Rhino mount/animal companion.

Shadow(dancer/caster/etc) for Stay out of the Sun Day.

Psion for Positive Thinking Day/Increase Your Psychic Powers Day.

Wild Mage for Chaos Never Dies Day.

Warlock for Occult Day.

Pugilist for Boxing Day.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-22, 12:11 PM
Pugilist for Boxing Day.

This one made me chuckle. Thank you :smallbiggrin:

Divide by Zero
2014-10-22, 07:16 PM
Bloodstorm Blade specialized in shield throwing, be Captain America for 4th of July.