PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Translating Eberron-specific items into a non-psionic/eberron game

Jowgen
2014-10-21, 01:04 PM
So, I've never run or played in a campaign that used psionics or Eberron, but I know find myself intrigued by some of the items of said books, mainly that dragon-shard related stuff.

The regular dragon shards need those dragon marks to work, while Quiori shards need specific psionic races, and a whole bunch of items just generally need psionics to work.

My question is, how would I go about adapting these kinds of items into a game where there are no psionics or dragon marks or other Eberron specific things (consider no one would be able to meet the prerequisites)?

Jowgen
2014-10-22, 05:30 PM
Anyone? :xykon:

Darkweave31
2014-10-22, 08:20 PM
Well you could use these... (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#iounStones) just turn them into implants (-1 hp/implant)

Frankly it would have to work on a case by case basis. Are there any specific items you want? Some only work with the related dragonmarks/psionics.

For those that do work without you could require dragonblood or draconic heritage or somesuch instead for the dragonshard.

Red Fel
2014-10-22, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I agree, it's kind of a case-by-case basis.

For example, Dragonmarks can be refluffed into any kind of bloodline, really. But Dragonmarked Houses require integrating those bloodlines into your setting, as do the various Dragonmarked PrCs.

Quori-related material again varies, but you could simply refluff their psionically-modified material to be any other form of modified or engineered race, without psionic fluff. Creatures like Illumians or Elan come to mind, or Mongrelfolk.

Again, it's a case-by-case thing. Perhaps if you ask about something in particular?

Jowgen
2014-10-22, 10:30 PM
Subsituting dragonshards for dragonblood seems like a good fix for that part, although yeah, houses and dragonmarks seem a lot trickier...

Of the top of my head, two things come to mind that I was wondering about specifically.

The first was an item from some eberron book (don't remember) that could change ambient light levels in a more versatile manner than the Tome of Magic dark lantern, provided it had a power point invested in it for the day. Changing it to sacrifice spells doesn't quite work since any hobo and their mother can get a power point with a feat or template.

The second were quiori shards. The UMD use for emulate race doesn't quite seem to cut it with those. I did consider requiring a race with innate magical abilities, such as Drow SLA's or some other race's SU, but that seems a tad too permissive. Elves perhaps? They're rather magical, and have offshoots like Half-Elves that might aslo qualify.

Fax Celestis
2014-10-22, 10:45 PM
Yeah, powering via racial SLAs should work fine, though they are a little weirdly restricted.

Jeff the Green
2014-10-23, 12:48 AM
For example, Dragonmarks can be refluffed into any kind of bloodline, really.

Honestly, I don't think you even really need that. They could be just about anything: "Oh, my mom was a wizard and she taught me this but I didn't much care for magic so I didn't learn more." "It's amazing what you can learn in abandoned libraries." "Yeah, I was trapped in a dungeon on and was a Wizard's test subject for a couple years. The magic must have seeped into my veins." "Well, you know how some people sign their soul over to Mephistopheles for power? I signed mine over to a lemure."