PDA

View Full Version : The Death of Magic, 3.5 Tristalt -- IC

Pages : [1] 2

dextercorvia
2014-10-21, 02:05 PM
http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/072/1/b/ziggurat_1_by_markjaybee-d3bkaa9.jpg

The city of Col Molweir rises like a fractal of ziggurats from the featureless wastes of Obeth. The main pyramid is massive, covering an area the size of a small sea. It is surrounded by the Promenade, which spirals to the top, miles up. At each turn of the Promenade another towering ziggurat spirals upward forming a helix of towers. Rather than a basic repeated square pattern like the unimaginative architects of distant planes, each of Col Molweir's ziggurats has 233 vertices. 233, being prime, fibonacci, and the number of days of a Kalean year, is the perfect number.

The lowest districts would be cities in their own right on other planes. The highest few are the sole residences of the Council of Thirteen. The indigent, having enough food to eat, are content with hovels along the Paths. The Paths are the main spirals around each of the secondary pyramids. Real estate along the Promenade is also available on a temporary basis, but it is mainly reserved for the golem army.

While each of the permanent homes in each of the districts have distinct address, they also have common names, which have grown up over time. This is also true of 182.209.200, where you find yourself today. While the address is simple -- you are on the 200th vertex of the tertiary structure atop the 209th vertex of the secondary pyramid which stands on the 182nd vertex of the main structure -- the area has become known as Duskholt. The name is likely because this is the vertex that faces closest to due west in the entire city. As such, it is the launch point for the festival of the Winter Solstice, which of course begins at sundown on that day.

With that holiday moons off yet, that is not your business here today. Instead, you are standing in line for your daily rations. Up ahead, across the courtyard, the feed boxes are humming away, choker slaves operating them twice as fast as otherwise would be possible. All around, Warforged guards are alert for trouble. The line is moving slowly but steadily forward. You estimate that you'll be on your way in about 10 minutes.

As you've done so many days before, you observe an odd collection of humanoids around you.

Kalea is the planet you are on.
Obeth is the continent.
Fibonaccus was one of the founding mages of the city, famous for his arcane geometries.

Nevershutup
2014-10-21, 03:09 PM
Although he has magical means of providing for himself, Elsin still goes to get his rations from the city. It tastes better to him, and there isn't any reason to not to. If Elsin were crunched for time, he might not come, but today was not a particularly busy day for him.

So, garnering a few strange looks, Elsin stood in line, his fullplate inscribed with the holy symbol of Pelor marking him as a holy man. He looked around, looking for anything appearing to have a motive for evil, and then casting Detect Evil (via Inquisitor Detect Alignment class feature). If he finds someone that appears to be up to no good, he watches them further, but unless it appears urgent, he trust the (totalitarian?) law enforcement of the city to take care of it.

Aegis013
2014-10-21, 03:56 PM
Lux stands in line, seemingly occupied by various nothings. Sometimes staring into space, sometimes at the ground, giving the impression that maybe he is deeply in thought, or possibly not quite right in the head (Dahlver-Nar's influence). When the line moves forward, he doesn't seem to notice until the person behind him gets his attention.

His stomach audibly rumbles as he waits to receive the food.

"I wonder what flavor we'll get today." he says to nobody in particular, but inviting conversation from those around him.

Ellowryn
2014-10-21, 09:41 PM
Free stuff is free stuff Threan thinks to himself as he stands in line. To anybody that does happen to notice him he stands there constantly tapping his foot almost like he was impatient yet his general look and demeanor speaks of almost boredom.

I still have some money left, but i haven't done a job in a while so i think i will start looking after lunch, never hurts be careful with your savings my father used to say...

Suddenly his thoughts are interrupted by someone behind him speaking, a being that one would at first glance think was human but upon closer inspection is something more. Pondering the rather odd question for a moment, he replies simply It will taste the same as yesterdays food, and the same as tomorrows food, unless they decide to use a better spell for the traps.

Blueiji
2014-10-21, 10:59 PM
Mr. Besnyn had been in Col Molweir for almost a month, and he still hadn't acquired a job. This was not just unusual for the undead barrister, it was positively unheard of. And so, rather than being able to enjoy his stay in the foreign city, Asasar was completely on edge, attempting with all his might to stay on alert for any promises of some kind of lawyering work.

Still completely uneasy with his current joblessness, Asasar sat in the courtyard of Duskholt, listening in on the conversations of any individuals who looked like potential adventurers.

"I wonder what flavor we'll get today."

"It will taste the same as yesterdays food, and the same as tomorrows food, unless they decide to use a better spell for the traps."

Overhearing this particular snippet, Asasar suddenly had an idea. Could the city be sued for failing to diversify their menu choices and inadvertently inflicting negative conditions upon the populace? Afterall, repetitive eating could lead to a feeling of being stuck in a rut, and being stuck in a rut can lead to depression! This could be the chance the undead Elf was looking for, a big-ticket job worth plenty of cash.

Springing from his seat, Asasar approached the two conversing about the taste of the food.

"Why hello you two! A bit tired of the usual eats I presume?"

NekoIncardine
2014-10-22, 12:53 AM
The thief known as 536 had been on a dry season as late. Not many 'private employments', and even her usual pickpocketing had run dry. So, it was on to the food traps for her essentials.

Of course, she knew these were extremely efficient - but it was also the case that they were rather suboptimal. Nutritionally more than adequate, but the tastes, at best, were modest. Then again, she was pretty sure that was intentional - the food traps were one of the many social-safety-nets that had built up over time, but the entire idea was to encourage people to get off their duff and find employment.

Next time she got a more serious job, she'd need to look into a Travel Cloak. Carrying a personal-scale food and water supply would be vastly more convenient than having to wait in a line like this.

More curious, however, was the conversation ensuing in front of her. Eh, better to just explain. She glanced towards the most recent figure to - oh, whoa. Something was up with that fellow's look. And he wasn't in line for food - he was waiting.

... Mistress of Shadows guide her, 536 had to hope piping up now would work out. "It's rather sensible, really. The food traps are intentionally junk so that they don't compete with the restaurants or farms, who provide better-tasting stuff at higher prices. Keeps the city economy moving, at least in theory."

Ellowryn
2014-10-22, 01:13 AM
And its, you know, free. Threan looks over the exceedingly gaunt elf, curious why he even cares about it given how he appears. If i want something better i will go someplace better, if i just want something to get by i go here.

Aegis013
2014-10-22, 02:45 AM
"It's really the same flavor everyday? I guess I never really thought about it. It always tastes so good to me! I don't think I'll ever get tired of it.
Though I guess for those looking for a bit more variety, maybe we could start a business next to the feed boxes that's just a bunch of Prestidigitation traps which will give your food a flavor based on which trap you choose. We could charge a small fee for entering. I bet it would pay for itself pretty quick as long as we could get past any bureaucratic obstacles, and that would sure keep our own economies moving."

Lux chuckles at his own wit.

"Think of all those gold pieces we could have. I don't even know what I'd do with them."

His stomach rumbles again, and he places his hands on it as if pressing on it will ease the hunger pangs.

"Maybe I'd get myself one of those feed boxes just for me. What would you fellows do with them?"

Nevershutup
2014-10-22, 07:04 AM
Elsin turns around, looking towards those speaking of the food.

"That's... and odd topic, but I suppose you are all right. I don't mind its flavor though, as long as I can supplement it with something. My name is Elsin."

In a closer observation, Elsin notices something not quite right about one of the people, and wracks his mind for what it could be. Regardless, he continues speaking,

"And Presdigitation traps are a great idea."

Aegis013
2014-10-22, 01:22 PM
"I'm Lux, pleasure to meet you Elsin." Lux says, leaning back and tilting his head back to meet the gaze of another Lesser Aasimar eight inches taller than himself.

Blueiji
2014-10-22, 02:42 PM
"It's rather sensible, really. The food traps are intentionally junk so that they don't compete with the restaurants or farms, who provide better-tasting stuff at higher prices. Keeps the city economy moving, at least in theory."

"And its, you know, free. If I want something better i will go someplace better, if I just want something to get by I go here."

Asasar's withered, undead heart falls upon hearing the words of the strangers. In his haste, he had forgotten that the food was a public service, and that other outlets for nourishment were available. It seemed his ambitions of a lawsuit might be unrealistic after all.

"My name is Elsin."

As the heavily armored Aasimar peers at him, Asasar feels a pang of discomfort. Was that Pelor's symbol on the cleric's chest? Oh dear, let's avoid informing this individual of our post-mortem status.

Snapping out of his worries, the undead Elf hastened to introduce himself as well.

"Greetings, a pleasure to meet you all. I am Asasar Besnyn, lawyer-extraordinaire."

NekoIncardine
2014-10-22, 03:23 PM
"Call me Five-Three-Six. That's what the city records call me, at least. Long story, you don't want to hear it."

A bit of a lie... But not much of one. The city records that existed for her probably had a completely different name. She used the number - well, honestly, Mistress Only Knew Why.

As Asasar looked towards Elsin, she noticed the same symbol as he had - and blinked, missing Asasar's reaction entirely. The Traditionalist Church of Shar and the Church of Pelor were, at best, ancient enemies. Best not to mention her faith around him, even if the Revivalists were generally more relaxed about Pelor - after all, the sun cast the most shadows of all. After all, she had no clue if this fellow knew of the difference.

It was moments like this when 536 was really, really glad she never went into the Priestesshood herself. If anything came of their chance meeting, having to pray after sundown for her spells would be awfully suspicious.

Ellowryn
2014-10-22, 04:46 PM
Lawyer? Since when have there been any lawyers? Threan thought to himself, what with magical compulsions to speak the truth and the ability to peer back in time there shouldn't need to be any such individuals. Looking him over once again, he comes to the conclusion that he must be new around here somehow.

Threan, he says simply giving a small nod, then looking towards the one who called himself Lux, While the Prestidigitation traps sounds like a good investment, i doubt it would work out in the end. As much as people might complain about the taste i doubt most would even be willing to pay a couple of copper just to make it taste somewhat different. Now if people were already paying a small amount for the rations then that would be different but as it stands they would rather just get by.

Aegis013
2014-10-22, 11:47 PM
Lux visibly looks discouraged at Threan's comment.

"Well, I'd still like the money, I could use it to improve my shield and give me an extra edge in brawls." (Lux doesn't say the clause after the comma if said brawls might be illegal, considering the warforged guards nearby)

Nevershutup
2014-10-23, 07:22 AM
Elsin nods towards Lux, a fellow Aasimar, by the looks of it.

Elsin doesn't droop too much at the thought of not having Presdigitation traps.

"It's not like they're necessary to the city, nor to us. I'm certain that there are better things that we could be doing with our time."

He then proceeds to study the odd looking elf a little closer.

Spot: [roll0]
Knowledge (Religion): [roll1]

Elsin's eyes widen in surprise, and after the initial shock of finding another undead, he sighs and murmurs,
"Another poor soul taken by pride..."

dextercorvia
2014-10-23, 09:48 AM
As the line edges forward you hear more of the same gossip as usual. Most of it centers around the Ninth's recent wedding to a cabinet maker from the 97th. However, a few people are discussing recent disasters.

I heard she's already put a simulacrum of him in his shop, so she can keep the real one in the bedroom.

Aye, I 'eard tha too, 'cept the ice man be in 'er bedroom, an' tha real un be in tha shop.

Did you hear about the 233rd? A portal bomb went off there yesterday. Had to close to foreign trade for half the morning to get the mess cleaned up. What I heard is it came through the Tarlan circle. They just had a new Witch King come to power.

That's nothing. Up in the 74th a wish box quit working last week. Just quit. That's the seventh one this year. I think it's an antimagic attack. Someone is trying to soften us up for a takeover.

Nah. All seven came from the same Zbox -- it must have been a defective Zbox.

Sure, if you want to believe the official story.

The Ninth refers to a rank in the Council of Thirteen. She is reputed to be a beautiful Sorceress. She married the cabinet maker last month.

The 233rd, being the outermost ziggurat, is where most foreign trade comes through. From there it is sent to other teleportation circles which lead to designated points inside the city.

One such secondary circle is in a building bordering this courtyard. That is how Duskholt receives its supplies from elsewhere.

Tarlan is another City. It is on the arctic continent Iolath.

Tarlan is much smaller than Col Molweir. It is ruled by a single Mage known as the Witch King. It is a more recent City as well, only springing up 100 years ago when another older Iolathian City fell to civil war.

The Zboxes are wish traps created through supernatural wishes, which are used to make regular Wish Traps. Those secondary Wish Traps are used to make most of the other necessary and convenience magical items, like the Food Boxes you are waiting in line for. Zboxes are closely held by the Council.

There are a limited number of them, but the exact number is also a secret. Wish boxes are granted to subordinates in much the way titles were given in feudal Europe. Those barons are required to provide a certain portion of their wishes back to the city state. In return they can profit from the rest.

Tertiary traps (A trap made by a trap that was made by a trap) sometimes fail due to Aetherial Entropy, or accident. Before this year the only wish boxes (secondary traps) that failed were as the result of focused attack or sabotage.

Ellowryn
2014-10-23, 10:41 AM
Threan perks his ears up at the gossip. While usually its just a bunch of bored people trying to liven up their lives sometimes such topics lead to employment opportunities if one knew where to look.

K Local #1 [roll0]
K Local #2 [roll1]
K Arcana [roll]1d20+11

NekoIncardine
2014-10-23, 12:50 PM
536, observing the rumors she'd just heard, paused in thought.

"Hrm. Problems with Wishboxes. Curious indeed, if the rumor is true," she observed aloud to the others in her immediate area.

"If someone thinks there's a real problem going on, there's bound to be some serious investigative work going. The kinda thing they hire 'non-government contractors' for." She smiled a bit. "Perhaps one of them could be me. It'd certainly pay nicely."

Aegis013
2014-10-23, 01:53 PM
[roll0] Local
[roll1] Arcana

Blueiji
2014-10-23, 02:27 PM
"If someone thinks there's a real problem going on, there's bound to be some serious investigative work going. The kinda thing they hire 'non-government contractors' for."

Asasar's pointed ears perked up. It sounded like an adventuring party was forming, and where there was an adventuring party, lawsuits were sure to follow.

"Oh, count me in as well. That is, if a group does form."

Aegis013
2014-10-23, 02:54 PM
"Do you think they'll keep investigation of the source of the portal bomb in-government? That seems like a more pressing issue to me. I'm sure the Zbox and Wish boxes could be replaced. Well, I doubt I could accomplish anything alone, so I'd accompany you if you're arranging an association for the apprehension of anyone accountable for these atrocities."

Lux throws his proverbial hat into the formation of the group, alliterating as he completes his thought with no apparent reason.

Ellowryn
2014-10-23, 03:09 PM
He chuckled at the non-government contractors line, such a fancy title for expendable grunts. But they do indeed pay well assuming you can survive.

I would stay away from government contracts, but those nobles who suddenly find themselves without the boxes are sure to pay well to determine the source of the problem. Lowering his voice some he continues And possibly to 'acquire' another box.

Regardless i would like to offer my meager talents to help, i tend to find it hard to be noticed even if i wanted to, pausing his foot taping to make the point before resuming, so i can get to places most would be unable to.

Nevershutup
2014-10-23, 07:25 PM
Elsin, hearing this plans for a possible charter group of sorts forming, tosses in his two copper pieces.

"A charter group could be fun, especially if we can figure out what's going on here. And, assuming everyone can control their.... hungers."

With this last bit, the huge man, covered in a mountain of steel, a mace at his hip and a shield om his back, stares at the elf, for just just a little bit, to get his point across.

Blueiji
2014-10-23, 07:47 PM
Asasar notices the the off comment made by Elsin as well as the cleric's intense stare.

It seems the man in the big armor doesn't like me that much. Or judging from his faith, doesn't like what I am very much.

No matter, I'm sure a respectable fellow like him wouldn't try anything underhanded. I suppose I can trust myself to be safe around him.

NekoIncardine
2014-10-23, 11:22 PM
536 blinked as Elsin made a rather blatant implication.

"He's not trying to eat us, he's in broad daylight, and he was talking about the law, indicating he's got a pretty good head on his shoulders, so I'm pretty sure he's okay."

Aegis013
2014-10-23, 11:59 PM
Lux's stomach rumbles much louder than previously, as he grips it and swivels his head towards the feed boxes with their cloaker operators.

"You sure he wasn't talking about me? What's taking this line so long?" his words almost gurgled through his salivation.

dextercorvia
2014-10-24, 08:31 PM
You are about 20-25 feet from the feedboxes now. You all feel your hair or feathers rise. Most of you hear a faint squeal, and then it happens. There is a blinding flash, and a shockwave rolls over you. Following that, a thin slurry of red coats you and everything around you. You blink and clear your eyes, and there is nothing left in front of you. The chokers, the feedboxes, several guards, and a couple dozen people have all vanished. Forty feet in front of you people who recently received their rations are picking themselves up off the ground, and wiping red goo from their faces.

DC 15 Perception to hear the squeal, but several of you auto pass, and I'm assuming you share the information eventually.
DC 15 Will save or be Dazzled for 1 minute from the flash.
DC 15 Reflex save or get knocked prone from the shockwave.

NekoIncardine
2014-10-24, 09:32 PM
Needless to say, with 536's position, she was floored and dizzied pretty swiftly by the blast.

"E-ergh... What in the Nine Hells was..."

She started moving to pick herself up, blinking rapidly as her undilated eyes tried to readjust to the light.

"Red... Blood?"

Aegis013
2014-10-24, 09:34 PM
[roll0] Perception
[roll1] Will save
[roll2] Reflex save

The explosion coming seemingly without warning, Lux's fighting instinct kicks in, rolling back onto his feet using the momentum from the impact. Quickly wiping away whatever coated his eyes he takes in his surroundings; his hunger forgotten. "What in the nine hells was that? A portal bomb?" He quickly takes in his surroundings trying to find some sense amidst the chaos.

Noticed the rolls were done for us in the OoC thread late, since I tend to check and respond first and foremost to the in-character thread.

The explosion coming seemingly without warning, Lux is caught entirely off guard, knocked off his feet he crashes to the ground. His fighting instinct kicks in as he comes to grips with what is happening. "What in the nine hells was that? A portal bomb?" Wiping away whatever coated his eyes, he quickly takes in his surroundings trying to find some sense amidst the chaos, his hunger forgotten.

Blueiji
2014-10-24, 09:58 PM
Asasar is taken completely by surprise by the sudden explosion. He emerges from it a tad dazzled, and covered in red goo, but not knocked down.

As Asasar slowly begins to regain his senses, he hears one of the humans he wa speaking to earlier make an inquiry.

"Red... Blood?"

His investigative instincts kicking in, Asasar quickly responds "Let's find out, shall we?" before dipping his bony finger in one of the piles of red goop lying on the ground and promptly tasting it.

I'm assuming here that although undead lose the need to eat, they still have the capability to taste. I'm happy to change my post if you disagree, Dextercorvia.

dextercorvia
2014-10-25, 10:39 AM
His investigative instincts kicking in, Asasar quickly responds "Let's find out, shall we?" before dipping his bony finger in one of the piles of red goop lying on the ground and promptly tasting it.

I'm assuming here that although undead lose the need to eat, they still have the capability to taste. I'm happy to change my post if you disagree, Dextercorvia.

There is blood yes, but also flesh, a bit of bone, and other things all finely pureed.

Sure, why not.

NekoIncardine
2014-10-25, 12:17 PM
Wincing at Asasar's choice of investigative methodologies, 536 looked for injured people in the wider area. Healing a few people tended to earn you a couple of favors of potential use. 536 always liked having a few more of those handy.

Ellowryn
2014-10-25, 01:51 PM
Reacting like a cat Threan deftly manages to avoid the spray of blood and then takes up a fighting position, crouching low to take advantage of his small size and with dagger in hand. After looking over the situation and ensuring that nothing else is going on around him he re-sheathes his blade and begins to look around. 'Portal bomb' one his new companions had suggested and given the layout of the scene its not hard to agree.

Picking his way through the survivors he heads to where the boxes where and begins to look over the scene, checking for anything that might have survived and possible how this happened.

Search of anything of the boxes [roll0]
Spellcraft to try and piece together what happened and any possible immediate effects [roll1]

Nevershutup
2014-10-25, 05:31 PM
Elsin recoils from the sudden explosion, managing to avoid most of its negative effects. Using Presdigitation to clean his face of the newly acquired.... paint, Elsin readies his mace and shield, and proceeds to search for magic, via a spell. He takes his time to identify each aura, ascertaining that he is correct.

(Cast detect magic, and take 10 on the Spellcraft DC, to identify it.)

Aegis013
2014-10-25, 05:39 PM
Unless Lux identifies some immediate threat, he scrambles to his feet, continuing to look for any signs of the cause or culprit, and generally trying to take in the situation.

[roll0] Perception

dextercorvia
2014-10-25, 09:32 PM
Wincing at Asasar's choice of investigative methodologies, 536 looked for injured people in the wider area. Healing a few people tended to earn you a couple of favors of potential use. 536 always liked having a few more of those handy.

It's hard to tell with all of the gore, but it appears that all of the survivors are unharmed.

Reacting like a cat Threan deftly manages to avoid the spray of blood and then takes up a fighting position, crouching low to take advantage of his small size and with dagger in hand. After looking over the situation and ensuring that nothing else is going on around him he re-sheathes his blade and begins to look around. 'Portal bomb' one his new companions had suggested and given the layout of the scene its not hard to agree.

Picking his way through the survivors he heads to where the boxes where and begins to look over the scene, checking for anything that might have survived and possible how this happened.

Search of anything of the boxes [roll0]
Spellcraft to try and piece together what happened and any possible immediate effects [roll1]

You don't find any remnants of the food boxes. You have no insights into what just happened, nor what might happen next.

Elsin recoils from the sudden explosion, managing to avoid most of its negative effects. Using Presdigitation to clean his face of the newly acquired.... paint, Elsin readies his mace and shield, and proceeds to search for magic, via a spell. He takes his time to identify each aura, ascertaining that he is correct.

(Cast detect magic, and take 10 on the Spellcraft DC, to identify it.)

The crowd lights up to your aura vision. There are faint auras everywhere. Sprinkled throughout the crowd are occasional moderate auras. There are no auras at all in the blast zone.

Unless Lux identifies some immediate threat, he scrambles to his feet, continuing to look for any signs of the cause or culprit, and generally trying to take in the situation.

[roll0] Perception

No cause or culprit is apparent to Lux.

Aegis013
2014-10-25, 11:01 PM
Lux looks around to see if any Warforged guards remain, or if they were all blown away.

Ellowryn
2014-10-25, 11:27 PM
That is odd... Threan begins as he gets back to the group, It is obvious that whatever just happened was centered on the food boxes but everything was in that area was annihilated so unfortunately there will be no way to check what happened without higher level divination magic. And to be honest, i have never heard of food boxes exploding before, has anybody else?

Aegis013
2014-10-26, 04:28 PM
Still on guard, Lux responds "I don't think food boxes explode on their own. I think someone dropped a portal bomb on them. But who? And why?"

Nevershutup
2014-10-26, 05:15 PM
"Whatever happened here, it appears to be over. I detect no other auras in the vicinity of the blast. However, I will commune with Pelor, and see if I can discern any latent dangers."

Take a 30 second to go a little ways away, and cast Omen of Peril. (http://dndtools.eu/spells/races-of-destiny--81/omen-peril--3037/)

NekoIncardine
2014-10-26, 08:39 PM
536, for her part, was glancing around as well. "This... Who would do this?", she said aloud. Even with all she'd been through, she wouldn't be so callous as to do this to a vast number of civilians.

Blueiji
2014-10-27, 01:49 AM
Asasar remains a tad bewildered by the whole situation for a good while. Standing off to the side, he does his best not to get in the way of the very professional seeming adventurers.

But after contemplating one of the other's questions for a moment, he decides to put in his two copper.

"This... Who would do this?"

"In my experience it's not so much the who that matters as much as the why. If we can figure out the purpose behind these bombings then the culprit should be revealed easily enough."

Ellowryn
2014-10-27, 07:47 AM
Yes, Why is indeed a very important question. However as it stands i doubt we can gleam anything more from the scene than we already have. Threan takes one last long look around, surveying the carnage. If they simply wanted to disrupt the populace by getting rid of the food boxes then why go through the trouble of annihilating people along with it? That would only serve to be counterproductive to any movement you would want to start.

Oh, and we also have one more pending issue.

NekoIncardine
2014-10-27, 09:23 AM
"That being?", 536 asked.

Ellowryn
2014-10-27, 09:35 AM
No dinner today.

Aegis013
2014-10-27, 03:17 PM
"How can you think of food at a time like this, Threan?" Lux states. Oddly enough, considering he was the one who seemed most interested in it previously.

"Does anybody have any insights regarding this matter? Should we start investigating? If so, where do we even start? Perhaps an information broker might know something about these attacks?"

NekoIncardine
2014-10-27, 10:32 PM
536 paused. "... I may have a few ideas," she observed aloud, thinking about possible sources she knew.

[roll0] Knowledge Local for the most likely informants she'd know from the underworld. The bombs had to get there somewhere, if that's what's going down.
[roll1] Knowledge Arcana for a little bit about Portal Bombs and how they work.

She can't do a Gather Information yet, because that takes time, but she'll definitely be considering that soon if circumstances and plot allow.

Blueiji
2014-10-27, 11:02 PM
Asasar watches on, intrigued by the investigative process, but remains perplexed by one thing.

Aren't these fellows jumping the wand by already beginning their sleuthing? Don't they want to ensure that they'll get compensated for their work first?

dextercorvia
2014-10-28, 09:39 AM
"Whatever happened here, it appears to be over. I detect no other auras in the vicinity of the blast. However, I will commune with Pelor, and see if I can discern any latent dangers."

Take a 30 second to go a little ways away, and cast Omen of Peril. (http://dndtools.eu/spells/races-of-destiny--81/omen-peril--3037/)

You see a man's face that is absolutely brilliant, however a cresent of darkness partially obscures his chin, like an eclipse. Peril.

536 paused. "... I may have a few ideas," she observed aloud, thinking about possible sources she knew.

[roll0] Knowledge Local for the most likely informants she'd know from the underworld. The bombs had to get there somewhere, if that's what's going down.
[roll1] Knowledge Arcana for a little bit about Portal Bombs and how they work.

She can't do a Gather Information yet, because that takes time, but she'll definitely be considering that soon if circumstances and plot allow.

You know (in passing) an accomplished saboteur. His main skill is in bypassing protective magics for infiltration, but he has some demolitions experience as well. His name is Karl Jree. [I'll leave to you whether you worked on a job that he was involved with, or if you have only been introduced but know his reputation. Either way, you are not best friends, and he is higher on the social ladder of the underworld than you.]

A portal bomb is a magical device that hijacks and reroutes the energy necessary to maintain a portal into a physical explosion at the terminus. They are typically used as a way of dramatically severing diplomatic ties with another city state, but have been known to be used in assassination attempts.

All

Your fellow citizens are beginning to panic. Some in the back, unaware of the full scope of the problem, are wondering why the line isn't moving and have begun to push forward. Others, near you, are trying to get back out of the square before anything else happens. Near the middle of the line things are starting to get tense as people are being pushed in both directions.

Ellowryn
2014-10-28, 10:35 AM
Looking around at the ensuing panic and realizing that he is just the right size to be trampled, Threan realizes this is not the place to be.

I believe we can gain nothing else by being here and leaving before a panic would probably be in out best interests.

NekoIncardine
2014-10-28, 12:40 PM
536 paused for a second at Threan's suggestion against the backdrop of what she was seeing.

"I have a start point for investigating," she announces to the group.

"But first... We need the situation calmed. And I've got just the spell."

"Good Samaritan" laws are a handy thing. For one thing, they mean that her using a masses-targeted enchantment to prevent a situation from turning into a panicked riot is legal where using a masses-targeted enchantment would otherwise be illegal.

Unless 536 would have a good reason to know this isn't the case in this city, she's going to start casting Enthrall (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/enthrall.htm) to draw the surrounding line's attention towards her, quickly explain what happened, and encourage people to clear out in an orderly fasion.

Nevershutup
2014-10-28, 08:02 PM
Slightly disturbed, Elsin approaches the "party", as it might be called, and speaks in a whisper just loud enough for them (and only them) to hear.

"I have recieved a revelation from Pelor. It appears that there is peril for us in the next hour. I recommend evacuating this area."

Aegis013
2014-10-29, 02:13 PM
"Evacuation sounds like a reasonable plan to me. But where do we go?"

NekoIncardine
2014-10-29, 03:26 PM
536 paused her casting after a second, letting it fade on a second thought.

"I know of one person capable of this... Don't think he'd do it, though. But I'm not precisely sure. Time to start hitting the shadier corners of town. Someone care to lead the way out of this immediate mess?"

Blueiji
2014-10-30, 01:19 AM
"I have recieved a revelation from Pelor. It appears that there is peril for us in the next hour. I recommend evacuating this area."

"Doesn't the nature of divination magic mean that we're likely to run into that trouble regardless of where we go? Isn't it unavoidable? If so, then perhaps we should take proper precautions. Does anyone have any sort of defensive magics that would last long enough to protect us?"

Deciding to take his own advice, Asasar begins chanting quietly under his breath in Truespeak, invoking upon himself a recitation that would enhance his abilities.

Asasar is utilizing Recitation of the Unclouded Eye (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=4915310&postcount=5) . This recitation normally has a DC of 10 but Asasar is increasing the DC by 1 in order to gain the ability to use other vocalizations while under the effects of this recitation. The total DC is 11, and Asasar has a Truespeak modifier of +14. However, a natural one is possible (which causes automatic failure on a Truespeech check), so I'll still roll.

[roll0]

"I know of one person capable of this... Don't think he'd do it, though. But I'm not precisely sure. Time to start hitting the shadier corners of town. Someone care to lead the way out of this immediate mess?"

"If you know someone who might have insight upon this situation, perhaps we should meet with that individual. We don't have many other leads."

Aegis013
2014-10-30, 12:33 PM
"We could take momentary refuge at the temple of Heironeous, just to escape our current predicament. I can take us there, but I don't know that they will be of much help regarding our current quandary." Lux offers, still uncertain about the best course of action.

dextercorvia
2014-11-02, 06:39 PM
While you are debating the best course of action, and before the crowd turns really ugly, there is a flash overhead. Fifty feet above your heads an oversized portal opens. The astral tube is lined in orange with flecks of purple. Emerging from the portal are a dozen shadesteel golems. They hover above the crowd flanking the portal. Two humanoids -- an older elf and a younger human -- emerge behind them, then the portal closes. The elf addresses the crowd, "People of Duskholt. The foodboxes in this sector will be temporarily offline while we investigate this malfunction. The Council apologizes for any inconvenience or loss you may be experiencing. Until these boxes reopen, your rations may be collected at any of the other feedstations in 182.200. There is nothing you can do here to assist us. Please move along in an orderly fashion."

People at the edges start to disperse, obviously trying to get to the nearest feedstations before the lines are any longer. The human speaks quietly to the elf, but you are close enough to hear, "Master, should we not question the witnesses."

"Of course not. They can tell us nothing that magic will not, and eye witnesses are notoriously unreliable." Both humanoids land in the blast zone, acompanied by half the golems. The other half of the golems remain airborn, alert for trouble.

The master mage begins casting a spell, and the apprentice wanders to the edge of the zone, not far from you.

Aegis013
2014-11-02, 08:58 PM
Lux gestures towards the apprentice. "If you're interested in hearing about what happened, I'd be happy to cooperate. Though, as your master said, magic will likely get you more accurate answers." he makes sure to go no further into the investigation zone, though, secretly hoping to glean information from this human apprentice.

Nevershutup
2014-11-02, 09:20 PM
Elsin follows Lux's lead, and approaches the apprentice with an earnest expression on his face.

"Indeed, I might be of some assistance. Pelor, or one of His emissaries has said that there is peril awaiting us in the next hour. Though, the spell I used can occasionally be unreliable, due to Pelor himself being unable to respond to every one."

Ellowryn
2014-11-02, 09:59 PM
While the others seem to want to just walk up to the authorities and play nice, Threan would rather take a more subtle approach. He steps behind the other party members who are not engaging with the apprentice in an attempt to not draw any attention to himself.

NekoIncardine
2014-11-04, 12:45 AM
536 matched Threan's lead, staying clear of the immediate situation so she could observe what was going down...

Blueiji
2014-11-05, 04:26 PM
Asasar follows Threan and 536's lead, not wishing to get embroiled with the authorities.

dextercorvia
2014-11-05, 07:45 PM
Lux gestures towards the apprentice. "If you're interested in hearing about what happened, I'd be happy to cooperate. Though, as your master said, magic will likely get you more accurate answers." he makes sure to go no further into the investigation zone, though, secretly hoping to glean information from this human apprentice.

The apprentice glances over his shoulder at his master, conflicted for a moment. "We have everything well in hand. You should move along as instructed. There will be no distribution from this point today."

Elsin follows Lux's lead, and approaches the apprentice with an earnest expression on his face.

"Indeed, I might be of some assistance. Pelor, or one of His emissaries has said that there is peril awaiting us in the next hour. Though, the spell I used can occasionally be unreliable, due to Pelor himself being unable to respond to every one."

"I can assure you that we have divinations at our disposal which do not rely upon anything as fickle as a deity's whim."

Aegis013
2014-11-06, 12:52 AM
Lux, not one to risk badgering the authorities and gaining the ire, says "Understood. We appreciate the work you're doing, if there's any way we can help, let us know." and begins to slowly turn to leave, hoping the apprentice will give cause for another course of action.

dextercorvia
2014-11-09, 02:34 PM
The lot of you are reluctantly being hedged out of the area by the imposing golems when suddenly you hear cursing from the elven mage. None of these divinations are working.

The human apprentice responds, "Magic is not everything Master Inthiel, perhaps you would like to try things my way."

"You petulant fool! I owe you nothing. If it were not for your situation, I wouldn't have even agreed to instruct you. Mock me further, and you will have firsthand knowledge of what magic can accomplish!"

The apprentice, uncowed by his master's threats retorts, "I think we both know that to be untrue. Besides, if you succeed, they will not care whether or not magic was used in the task. Likewise, should you fail, there will be no mercy given, merely because your magic wasn't strong enough."

Inthiel shrugs, "Very well, Eric. Round up some of these witnesses, and do whatever you think best. Know that as soon as your situation changes -- and it will change -- I will trade every favor I'm owed to turn your corpse into a flesh golem, which I shall keep as a reminder of your foolishness, lest I ever be tempted."

A scant few seconds later, the few of you are surrounded by the golems that were herding you out of the square. The human, Eric approaches you on foot. "Yes, these are the ones with information. They were closest to the blast when it occurred, and kept their wits enough to talk about it after. Bring them with us."

Despite any protests, you each find yourself in the clutch of a shadesteel golem flying back toward the temporary portal in the sky. Before long you are settled in a waiting room. Neither Eric nor Ithniel is with you. There is a single golem guarding the door to the large windowless room. A collection of fine handmade furniture -- not the mass fabricated crap that anyone can buy for a few coins -- lines the walls. A thickly piled rug covers the floor in the center. There is a table with refreshments in the middle of the rug.

Aegis013
2014-11-09, 04:00 PM
Lux's stomach rumbles loudly as the smell of edibles meets his nose. "Alright! Food!" he says excitedly, hustling to the table and beginning to happily eat the food. Despite his excitement and rapidity, he does manage to keep his table manners in mind.

Once he has inhaled enough of the food to satiate his rumbling belly, Lux begins to inspect the room. His attention shifting between between things before he could possibly have gleaned any useful information more than a cursory glance would provide, clearly brimming with excess energy.

Nevershutup
2014-11-09, 04:04 PM
Elsin, silent for now, follows Lux's lead, and digs into the food.

He then turns his gaze to the room around him, and looks, with magic and without. (Detect Magic, taking 10 on the Spellcraft check)

Blueiji
2014-11-09, 05:25 PM
Asasar, due to his unique physiological situation, decides not to consume any of the food as cleaning it out manually later would be a hassle.

Instead he waits somewhat impatiently, a little perturbed that he was getting wrangled into this whole affair without any promise of monetary gain.

Ellowryn
2014-11-09, 05:26 PM
Threan sighs heavily, We should have escaped while we could he thought. Looking on at the food he then moves over and eats just enough to fill him before quietly taking a seat.

NekoIncardine
2014-11-09, 07:45 PM
536, pointedly, had not resisted the golems when they grabbed her, other than a very quick "Hey! Not so rough, jeeze!"

Once she'd been pulled over to the waiting room, she breathed a bit. The fancy but windowless waiting room meant they were being treated with respect but also significant levels of caution - they expected someone to flee for one or another reason. If they'd checked the records, they probably expected her to flee. The girl whose name was unmatchable was the most suspicious person of all.

Or perhaps it was someone else? She was pretty sure city records didn't have her talents pegged properly.

Either way, they had provided food and drinks. That meant two things - again with the respect, but also that they expected this to take a while, one way or another. So, she ate now while she best had the chance... And mentally went over her magical tricks and how they could help her escape, if push came to shove.

She was very hopeful push wouldn't come to shove. Verifiable criminal records were very annoying things to have.

dextercorvia
2014-11-10, 09:47 PM
The food is as delicious as it looks. Those of you who look find a beaten copper chamber pot in the corner behind a small privacy screen. After about half an hour of waiting the golem guard steps aside to let Eric, the human apprentice enter the room. "Thank you all for your patience. I assure you, that this is not quite the way I would ask your help, but protocol is protocol." The man, older than most apprentices, perhaps 30, shrugs then smooths out his shirt. "If you can tell me what you saw, I can have you back to your usual business in no time."

You notice a single curl of wood slip to the carpet from a fold in his shirt when he smooths it.

NekoIncardine
2014-11-11, 01:59 AM
[roll0] Perception (via Rogue Knack substitution)

536 breathed a bit, before going first.

"It started with a high-pitched squeal... We were maybe twelve to fifteen people in line back. Then, a very bright light and a shockwave. The shockwave knocked me over and my sight was screwy for a fair bit of time after that. The entirety of the scene was... Basically as you observed by that point. Red everywhere, and no one within twenty or so feet. One oddity that I noticed, was that the people nearby were either completely gone - I don't even want to guess what the red stuff is - or were basically unharmed. Very unusual. It doesn't resemble what I've heard about portal bombs. It's..."

536 trailed off. The more she thought about what she'd just seen, the more terrified she was.

Aegis013
2014-11-11, 03:59 PM
Lux is not attentive enough to notice the thing, and frankly, not suspicious enough to be casting spells to enhance his perception.

Lux nods to show that he agrees with 536's assessment.

"Though I didn't hear the squeal over the rumbling of my stomach, I can say that indeed there was a bright flash and a shockwave. Both occurred just before we were splattered with this reddish stuff. I particularly noticed my hair stand on end a split second before the event. Based on my estimation after getting knocked over by the initial shock wave, whatever caused the event had roughly a 20 foot radius area of effect, I'm not sure, but I think that the effect ended abruptly at such a distance may be a clue. I think it points towards the use of magic of some kind - in my experience, spells tend to have precise increments in their sizes." Indicating the red stuff still present on his clothes Lux adds, "Taking a guess, I'd think this red stuff is minced citizens. If it might assist you in any way, feel free to take a sample. There's a chance it also might hold some clue regarding today's event."

Putting a hand to his chin, Lux also adds, "It also seems very strange that Elsin's divination regarding the future functioned, but the Elf official's divination regarding the past did not. What kind of power might be utilized to obfuscate the past? Perhaps if we could discern this it may help lead us to the culprit."

Rolling Knowledges regarding magics arcane and divine (arcane covering psionics as well assuming arcane/psionic transparency is in effect - if that's not how you want to do it that's ok with me) to see if Lux knows of any magic, spell, or deity's domain that might provide a person with the ability to hide the past.

[roll0] Arcane
[roll1] Religion

Nevershutup
2014-11-11, 04:04 PM
Elsin looks up as his name is mentioned, and speaks after Lux is done.

"As I said before, my spell is unreliable at times. I do not have much to add to what the others have said about the initial burst, but I will add that there were no magical auras, which I found odd, but I defer to your experience in the matter."

Aegis013
2014-11-11, 05:14 PM
"As I said before, my spell is unreliable at times. I do not have much to add to what the others have said about the initial burst, but I will add that there were no magical auras, which I found odd, but I defer to your experience in the matter."

"Even so, my understanding of divination is that the diviner is not aware if their divination is deceiving them, yet I clearly recall the Elf official's frustration that all of his divinations simply weren't working. Perhaps I am incorrect, but I understood that to mean they failed to function at all. If this is the case, it could be integral in unraveling this enigma."

Lux's gaze turns towards the ceiling and he folds his arms over his chest and momentarily closes his eyes, clearly his mind is reeling at the possibilities, though it is clear he doesn't know where they might lead. He turns his attention back to the group as soon as another person speaks.

NekoIncardine
2014-11-11, 06:16 PM
536 paused, thinking about what she herself knew...

[roll0] Know Arcana
[roll1] Know Religion

dextercorvia
2014-11-11, 08:35 PM
Some deities have the ability to grant obscurity from divination to special worshipers. That is the most info you get about foiling divinations.

Some deities have the ability to grant obscurity from divination to special worshipers.

Various spells like Non-detection and Mind Blank will foil divinations as well. Antimagic zones can foil certain divinations depending on whether it needs to penetrate the effect or not.

Blueiji
2014-11-11, 11:01 PM
Asasar feels no need to share his account, as his companions had already done an adequate job. However, he does pipe up to add one of his own details.

"Taking a guess, I'd think this red stuff is minced citizens. If it might assist you in any way, feel free to take a sample."

"I can, in fact, confirm that the reddish goo is minced citizen. I like to think that my taste buds never lie."

dextercorvia
2014-11-13, 10:00 AM
"Did any of you happen to see someone with this sigil, either on a tatoo or a cloak?" Eric's finger traces in the air, and a minor illusion is projected in front of you.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs27/i/2008/185/c/e/sigil_dark_by_Darla_Illara.jpg

While he waits for you to study the symbol, a though comes to him, "You wouldn't happen to be adventurer's would you? You handled yourselves fairly well at the blast site. My resources are stretched fairly thin right now, and I have an investigative job that I can outsource. Just to be clear, this is not a condition of your release. Whatever you decide you will be free to go when we are done with our questions."

Aegis013
2014-11-13, 02:12 PM
Lux studies the symbol, attempting to commit it to memory. As the second question is uttered, visible excitement appears on Lux's face. Tired of trying to avoid or deal with those in the church who disapprove of his exploration of his abilities, he sees a shining opportunity here.

"Oh, yes. Definitely. I am a fledgling adventurer, I admit, but I'm eager to assist you in this investigation."

He turns towards the other, rather curious regarding their reactions.

Hopefully someone more monetary minded will discuss payment.

Ellowryn
2014-11-13, 02:53 PM
Threan sits low in his seat, with his hood pulled down partially hiding his face listening to the discussions being had. When Lux turns to look at them for agreement he nods indicating his approval, if only to get this over with faster.

Nevershutup
2014-11-13, 06:44 PM
"I like to think I might be handy for adventuring, but I have yet to do any truly extensive adventuring."
Elsin looks eager to help, and a little nervous at his confession.

NekoIncardine
2014-11-15, 12:34 AM
"I don't recognize the sigil, but I do know my way around investigations. If you need something outsourced, I'm interested."

536's calm about this change of topic was perhaps a bit odd; to her, though, it was obvious this investigation, while not the main lead (if this investigator had one) was likely directly related to finding whatever caused this - and stopping it.

Blueiji
2014-11-16, 01:19 AM
Upon hearing the call for adventurers, Asasar begins to think.

I'm not an adventurer, but I do like to follow adventurers around. They're a goldmine for lawsuit opportunities. However, I doubt the officials will allow me to tag along if I say that.

Asasar clears his throat and then does his best impression of what an adventurer should sound like.

"Ah, um, yes! Yes! I am an adventurer. I would be more than pleased to accompany the group.

dextercorvia
2014-11-16, 02:57 PM
After the first statement of agreement, the apprentice detective begins filling you in, "An old friend has asked me to look into a matter of sabotage. It is most likely a civil matter, below the level of this office, and as you can tell, we are busy with investigations into some serious criminal offenses. Still, he is an old friend and I would be remiss, if I did not attempt..." As the acceptances keep rolling in, his face turns quizzical. Finally, at the words of the barrister, a realization dawns upon him. "Oh, I see. I was under the impression that yours was a formal association. There seemed to be something binding you together, I assumed it was..." Eric trails off. Well, I can still take you on as independents, but the compensation isn't as good. I have a few things to attend to from this current investigation. I'll return in a few minutes, if you have a formal adventuring charter, I can compensate you as a group, otherwise, I'll have to hire you each independently.

With that the man leaves. You have the impression that he will be happy to tell you more about the job once you've agreed to it, but is loathe to waste his time until then.

Aegis013
2014-11-16, 08:54 PM
Taking only a split second, Lux recalls that the somewhat decrepit looking elf was in fact a lawyer-extraordinaire!

He turns on his heel, the excitement almost palpable in the air around him, towards Asasar, his face brimming with child-like glee.

"Asasar! Will you make us a formal adventuring charter before he gets back? Or convince him we have one and get one right after we're hired?" his tone and diction seem to indicate quite a level of confidence in the Elf's abilities. Addressing the group as a whole, he adds "With an adroit lawyer-extraordinaire on our side, I'm sure we can turn this into a very beneficial arrangement for us all."

NekoIncardine
2014-11-17, 02:01 PM
536 paused. "... There could be one, uh, minor problem with that... There's a really good reason I'm called 536. By which I mean no one's able to speak or write down my real name besides... One particular jerk. It's a curse. Could make for some difficulties..."

It was definitely unusual to be honest, but in this situation, trying to hide it would bring out more uncomfortable questions.

Ellowryn
2014-11-17, 02:41 PM
Names are like hats, you can wear whichever one one you want and then change it when you feel like. Threan pointed out to 536, So if you wish to be known as 536 and be paid as 536 then you should use 536 as your name. Turning to the rest of the group, I have no problem with our 'lawyer' writing up a contact as in situations like this it is better to act as a group.

Blueiji
2014-11-17, 03:34 PM
Asasar is taken aback by the level of confidence Lux seems to place in him, but the undead Eld isn't put off in the slightest. Rather, he's quite pleased with himself for making a good enough impression.

"Of course I can make a charter, it would be my pleasure. But first, does anyone here object to having themselves added to our adventuring party?

Asasar pauses for a moment, and then speaks up again.

"And also, what should the name of our merry band be?"

After posing his question Asasar begins to do a small incantation under his breath as he attempts to use a particular phrase of Truespeech that would help him in writing the charter.

Asasar is using Recitation of the Wise Man in order to increase his wisdom score. The DC is 16 and Asasar's bonus is +14.

[roll0]

Aegis013
2014-11-17, 06:05 PM
Lux answers without hesitation, apparently, becoming an adventurer something he has considered seriously in the past and he had even considered names for adventuring companies. "Contra Noctem." his excitement on his sleeve for all to see.

It's been years since I took courses on Latin, so I could be butchering this, but the phrase should roughly mean "We are against the night" Contra being "against" and Noctem being "the night" (object) - personal pronouns generally are excluded because the ending attached to the verb implies them, and articles (such as "the") just don't exist in classical Latin.

Other iterations that might be interesting could be:
Contra Malum (we are against evil)
Contra Iniuria (we are against injustice)
or add Stamus to the beginning of any of them (we stand against whatever)

Nevershutup
2014-11-18, 09:02 AM
To Asasar, whom Elsin is still slightly uncomfortable around, Elsin says,
"I trust that you have the necessary skills. And that sounds like quite the name Lux. What is it's origin?"

Aegis013
2014-11-18, 03:59 PM
"I trust that you have the necessary skills. And that sounds like quite the name Lux. What is it's origin?"

Lux responds proudly "It's from some ancient language I was taught a bit about in my studies with the church. with a bit more humility he also confesses "I'm not at all fluent, I only picked up a handful of interesting phrases."

NekoIncardine
2014-11-19, 01:39 AM
"If it doesn't work, we can fix the name later," 536 responded. "Sounds good to me for now."

Ellowryn
2014-11-19, 12:14 PM
I believe equal share of all gains would be acceptable terms for division of wealth? And purchases deemed as important to our objective should come out of everyone share.

Nevershutup
2014-11-19, 02:24 PM
I believe equal share of all gains would be acceptable terms for division of wealth? And purchases deemed as important to our objective should come out of everyone share.

"Perhaps we could have a small amount of every payment subtracted before our shares, for group costs? Say, one-twentieth."

Blueiji
2014-11-19, 04:47 PM
"Perhaps we could have a small amount of every payment subtracted before our shares, for group costs? Say, one-twentieth."

"Alternatively, since there are five of us, we could simply put all remainder wealth after dividing by five into the group pot."

NekoIncardine
2014-11-20, 02:23 AM
"The rule I used last time I was with a group, was one share per person, then one additional share for the group fund, rounding going to that share to the nearest ten gold just to make it easier to calculate. Then again, hand-math was kinda... Not that group's thing. Your call, though, as long as I'm getting something out of this."

Aegis013
2014-11-20, 03:17 AM
"Whatever you decide, given that it is reasonably fair, I will accept gladly."

Blueiji
2014-11-21, 12:44 AM
"536, I like your thinking! Let's go with that method."

Picking up his pen and a stack of papers, Asasar begins working on the charter.

Wracking his brain for all relevant legal code, the Undead Elf begins furiously jotting down line after line of regulations, group rules, and binding information.

Asasar then sorts through his newly penned stack of papers, and finding the first one, he titles it in large lettering Contra Noctem.

Pleased with his work, Asasar leans back and grins, allowing his companions to peruse the document if they wish.

Sorry for deciding on my own to go with 536's method. It's just that I'm leaving for my short trip tomorrow and thought I should make this post before I leave. If anyone is unhappy with 536's payment plan we can always go back and change it later.

In any case, here's my skill check. Note that my skill modifier was raised by +2 due to Recitation of the Wise Man's wisdom bonus.

Asasar is taking a 10, and his adjusted modifier is +11, so the total is 21.

dextercorvia
2014-11-24, 03:05 PM
About ten minutes after you all agree on the charter, Eric returns. He is followed by an unseen servant carrying a tray with two scrolls, and a stack of medals. "Thank you for the information about the unfortunate event earlier. Rest assured we are doing our best to get the station back up and operational, and to prevent such occurrences in the future."

He accepts your contract and gives it a cursory glance. "I see that I was correct -- you are a chartered group. Excellent. Now, here is the contract for independent investigation." He hands one of the scrolls to Asasar. While you peruse it, he outlines the main points for the rest of the group.

"Ludvig Goethe, owner of Fantastic Fabrications has reported that someone has been sabotaging his wares. I don't have the particulars, and normally this would be beneath the consideration of the department, but considering Goethe's stature in the community, it is best if we have at least a supervisory role in the investigations. That is where you come in. You will report to me directly, but you are not department employees. Interview Goethe, or his agent, and find out what is going on.

Make a report on that, and it is worth the first 500 gold in your contract. If you are able to put a stop to the vandalism, then you will earn another 500 golds. These medals will serve as your identification.

They will also get you access to any of the civilian and patrol portals in the city. Should the need arise they can be used to summon me in case you run afoul of another agency. I would discourage this strongly, and will give a 100 gold bonus to each of you who does not need to use that function.

Are there any questions?" The contract contains the address of Fantastic Fabrications' headquarters.

Fantastic Fabrications is well known, rather like a Monsanto or Walmart in the US. Like those corporations it is not universally loved, but considered a permanent feature of city life. Probably many of you have furniture or other goods made and sold by FF.

NekoIncardine
2014-11-27, 05:11 PM
536 nodded, but didn't move to take the first medal - best not to seem overeager. More importantly, it gave her time to think about rumors she'd heard lately that might relate to what had been shared...

[roll0] Know Local, using Rogue Knack to substitute ranks up as usual.

dextercorvia
2014-11-27, 11:01 PM
Asasar negotiates the contract. It now reads that the fee for stopping the vandalism will be negotiated according to risk upon receipt of the report, but be an amount no less than 500 golds for the team.

I'll use his contract roll as a quasi diplomacy check.

Aegis013
2014-11-28, 12:31 PM
Having struggled to contain himself and keep from immediately accepting the offer long enough for his new companions to speak their minds, Lux eagerly agrees to the contract.

"You can count on us, we'll get started right away." His enthusiasm apparent in his voice.

Blueiji
2014-11-28, 06:52 PM
Asasar smiles, glad to have renegotiated the contract.

Hopefully this will only be the first of many lucrative opportunities within this group.

Asasar then takes one of the medals, eager to begin his work with the rest of his party.

Ellowryn
2014-11-28, 07:19 PM
Threan slides off of his seat and calmly moves over to gently grab one of the medallions, careful to keep his hood pulled low as to not show his full face. Money is money, no matter where it came from to him, so even a less than lucrative government job was preferable to no job at all. And besides, if he does a decent enough job here more like it may come in the future.

Nevershutup
2014-11-28, 09:57 PM
Elsin nods, and grabs his medallion, thinking that this will be a good chance to keep an eye on this undead creature and to gain experience in the world at large.

dextercorvia
2014-11-30, 09:27 PM
Excellent. Please return as soon as you have your report. You are free to enjoy lunch here since your rations were disrupted. You may leave whenever you like. Eric turns and leaves. The golem follows him wordlessly.

Where are you headed first?

Aegis013
2014-12-01, 05:46 PM
Glancing around briefly to make sure there are no government representatives watching his actions presently, Lux pockets some of the foodstuffs better suited for such containment and travel, he attempts to do so stealthily, but doesn't manage to fool anybody. Such high quality food being a bit of a luxury for him.

"It seems apparent our priority is attempting to establish contact with Ludvig Goethe, or an agent thereof. We could utilize the privileges granted us by these medals signifying we have been deputized, but I am confident we can conjure an approach with more finesse."

Lux folds his arms over his chest and begins to ponder the present predicament of how to proceed.

[roll0]
To try to determine if I know an agent of Fantastic Fabrications, how one might get in contact with one, or similar, within the expectations of this society. (Paying a diviner or divine up a name and then paying for a Sending is probably not a good idea, I would guess, as an example of societal expectations)

NekoIncardine
2014-12-02, 10:32 AM
536 nodded. "I suspect the deputy badges will be among our best friends there, just for practicality's sake. Officers of the law aiming to help end the sabotage incidents is probably one of the best stories for getting people to aid us, in general. Still, if you've a better path, let's take it."

dextercorvia
2014-12-02, 11:11 PM
Legrix Talus is the name of a prominent legal consultant employed exclusively by Fantastic Fabrications. He is known for ruthless contract negotiations and advanced troubleshooting techniques.

Nevershutup
2014-12-03, 08:16 AM
Elsin nods in agreement with 536. "Likely our best chance is to simply approach as officers of the law, even if we do so quietly."

Aegis013
2014-12-03, 03:01 PM
Lux's face lights up and he announces: "That was the name! Well, I suggest we attempt to play both ends of the investigation in our favor. While Ludvig Goethe is likely not someone we can just approach, we'd more likely be able to get in touch with Legrix Talus. He's a legal consultant for Fantastic Fabrications who also handles various tricky problems, though he's known for being rather cutthroat, he's an agent we could probably establish contact with, potentially even get on his payroll to complete the task we already have. Doing so might also let us move around within the structure of Fantastic Fabrications without arousing the same level of caution and suspicion from those under investigation as doing so under the banner of the government might, particularly if the culprit is an employee of Fantastic Fabrications."

Lux thinks a few more moments.

"Now how to go about establishing contact. Considering your fields of expertise, I don't suppose you've had any dealings with Talus, Asasar?"

Ellowryn
2014-12-03, 04:38 PM
My contacts are rather sporadic when it comes to those with high positions, though perhaps we could find someone who knows someone. Threan puts forth while finishing off a full meal before they leave.

NekoIncardine
2014-12-04, 04:16 PM
536, similiarly, is eating as she listens to the conversation.

"Two-directional methods... That might be ideal, yes. We're still uncertain as to what is going on, after all. Without a few answers..."

Blueiji
2014-12-05, 12:52 AM
"Now how to go about establishing contact. Considering your fields of expertise, I don't suppose you've had any dealings with Talus, Asasar?"

"Unfortunately not, as I've only been in the city for a short period. But I look forward to meeting the fellow, I'm sure he's charming, just like all legal practitioners.

Aegis013
2014-12-05, 03:31 PM
"Unfortunately not, as I've only been in the city for a short period. But I look forward to meeting the fellow, I'm sure he's charming, just like all legal practitioners.

"In that case, considering he's a legal consultant employed by Fantastic Fabrications, even if its his exclusive employment, he probably has an office. Let's just go knock on his door."

dextercorvia
2014-12-06, 11:41 PM
98.3 Fantastic Fabrications, main lobby

A few portal rides, and a bit of walking later, you find yourself at the front door of Fantastic Fabrications headquarters. The building is huge, occupying its own tertiary tower. The warehouse entrance is further down the terrace, but you are standing at massive glassteel doors, each emblazoned with the symbol for the company.

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs19/PRE/f/2007/270/c/6/Double_Helix_by_kaiokengoku.jpg

Through the doors, you can see the main reception area. A dozen constructs stand at a semi circular desk. There are lines of people making orders. Behind them a smaller desk sits at the edge of the room. When a tray of orders gets filled, it floats back to that desk, and another tray levitates over to take its place.

Aegis013
2014-12-07, 02:59 PM
"Now where would the legal consultant's office be... I suspect the constructs merely take product orders, but perhaps their commands are intricate enough to provide us the information we need. I'll wait in line and see in case anybody has a alternative approach."

Lux gets in line, but starts to feel slightly nervous and keeps his wits about him remembering what happened last time he waited in a line.

NekoIncardine
2014-12-08, 01:49 PM
536, for her part, moved off to one side, keeping a loose eye out from the sidelines for any developments in the situation without a direct word...

dextercorvia
2014-12-09, 11:47 AM
The line advances and Lux get's his turn at the desk. His assumption is correct, and soon he and the others are being ushered into a room off to the side by the clerk at the rear table. "I will summon Master Legrix."

A few moments tick by, and you can see business conducted outside as you wait. Soon, a five foot tall man appears in the doorway. His skin is dark red, horns twist out of his head above pointed ears. He wears a hand made suit, and carries a briefcase. He hands you a small piece of thick parchment with the Fantastic Fabrications logo, and some other writing on it. "I am Talus Legrix. Very few people ask to see me, so I'm sure it must be important. What can I do for you?"

Sorry, I know it's cliche, but I couldn't help myself.

http://www.locatelawyer.net/wp-content/legalimages/UHJ_DudeLarge-200x200.jpg

Aegis013
2014-12-10, 04:40 AM
"Thank you for taking the time to hear us out, Mr. Legrix. We're Contra Noctem, a skilled group of investigators here to offer our services in uncovering the saboteur responsible for pestering Mr. Goethe by sabotaging his wares. We figure this could be a mutually beneficial arrangement: for a reasonable fee upon completion of the task, you take us on as temporary subordinates, we work to uncover this mystery and when the culprit is found, you get the credit within Fantastic Fabrications and we get a commendation of our skills to help us find future work. What do you say Mr. Legrix?"

dextercorvia
2014-12-11, 10:59 PM
Legrix looks over his shoulder as you mention the sabotage. "You are quite well informed. Why don't we continue this conversation in my office."

Assuming there are no objections he leads you to a teleport circle which takes you deeper into the building. Before long you find yourself at a conference table in a rectangular chamber. At one end is the glasssteal door you entered the room through, at the other is one leading to Legrix's inner office.

"The incidents are not general knowledge. I won't insult you by asking how you found out about them. I must ask," he holds up a wire cage formed into an impossible geometry. The device is the size of a large apple. "And, I cannot stress enough the importance of honesty in this. Are you complicit in any of the sabotage?" His eyes look to each of you in turn for an answer.

Appropriate knowledge checks are appropriate.

Aegis013
2014-12-11, 11:30 PM
"I'm not complicit in any act of sabotage, and I'd be happy to confess to such within the confines of a Zone of Truth or undergo other measures to assure my truthfulness."

I'm guessing that wire mesh is a magic item of some kind, so I'm guessing it falls under Arcana.
[roll0]

Blueiji
2014-12-12, 01:49 PM
"I too had nothing to do with the unfortunate events that occurred."

dextercorvia
2014-12-14, 09:54 PM
And what of the rest of you. Not answering is a poor option. The cage in Legrix's hand begins to twirl.

Your knowledge check is insufficient for much information, but it appears to be quite dangerous.

NekoIncardine
2014-12-16, 10:33 AM
"I have had no complicity in the sabotage incidents, and I would gladly admit to such under a Zone Of Truth," 536 confirmed, after a second. "We need the responsible party stopped."

dextercorvia
2014-12-18, 01:00 PM
"Very well." The device winds down. "Now, I believe you have some information about what is going on here. I take it you are some sort of vigilante squad?"

NekoIncardine
2014-12-18, 01:41 PM
"Incorrect... Sort of. We've got an investigation commission from the city government to investigate a standing complaint, as other cases are consuming their investigative resources," 536 explained. "That also means we have to at least try to do this by something resembling the book. Thus why we're here; we're looking for permissions to properly investigate some of the burgled facilities, and also if you've got any leads that might help us apprehend the culprits. We figured your firm was the best start point."

[roll0] Diplomacy - 536 is hoping straight talk and a polite attitude will focus Legrix on the party's goal... If nothing else, so that we can get out of his hair quickly while being as useful as possible to him.

Aegis013
2014-12-18, 05:47 PM
Lux frowns slightly as 536 reveals the groups government connection but quickly adjusts, nodding in agreement. He ponders if knowledge of government affiliation will be an asset or a hindrance in this case to himself, hoping the former. Lux's concern is that Ludvig Goethe requested government investigators in order to avoid the financial burden on the company; Legrix Talus, being a representative of Fantastic Fabrications may have similar thoughts. Hopefully offering credit for the solution will encourage his consideration in actually employing us as investigators for this purpose.

He waits to see how Legrix Talus responds before speaking.

dextercorvia
2014-12-19, 04:30 PM
The lawyer strokes his goatee as he responds. "May I see your credentials then?"

Assuming you provide them...

"Excellent. When you spoke of compensation, I assumed you to be the usual chattel. I see, though, that you are already being compensated for your work. That means we can dispense with fee negotiations, and I can cut straight to the matter at hand." Legrix pulls a small flat crystal from his jacket pocket and lays it on the table. "In the last month three of our customers were killed by their own furniture -- our merchandise. We actually would not have discovered that, except a fourth victim threw himself out of a window to avoid being clubbed to death by an end table. When he reported the incident to us, we conducted divinations to discover the other three."

The crystal glows and projects the recorded divination. As you watch the scenes, Talus narrates. "Jayne and Erithrhea Kole, innkeepers in node 76, devoured in their sleep by their four poster bed. Stegun Zolomitzes, scribe and bookbinder in node 91. A book case collapsed on top of him. No remains were found, even when the case was destroyed. His collection of tomes appeared largely intact despite the incident. Finally Abrom the Fist, trains gladiators for the Arena in node 135 was snoozing in an arm chair when the end table suddenly leapt upon him clubbing him with its own legs. His arena training kicked in and he freed himself, then jumped out of a window to escape. He broke several bones and laid in the street unconscious for an hour before an itinerant priest patched him up. As I said, Abrom is the one who reported the incident to us. We are currently putting him up in an executive suite near here. He insisted that there be no furniture in his accommodations. The furniture was all ordered at this office, and manufactured on the same line as all of the other furniture we produce in this building.

Do you have any questions?"

Aegis013
2014-12-19, 08:18 PM
"While there's a real possibility the acts of sabotage were committed at the point of production there is also a possibility it occurred during transit. By what method do your wares get to their respective clients? Of course, if such information might be considered trade secrets, feel free to only give what you feel you can or would be helpful in assisting our investigation."

dextercorvia
2014-12-20, 11:45 AM
Delivery to our showrooms is done by a portal circle in our warehouse. These items were all special ordered at the counter you passed earlier. Mr. and Mrs. Kole paid the extra fee to have it teleported to their location, as did Mr. Zolomitzes. Mr. "the Fist" picked the item up here.

Aegis013
2014-12-20, 02:01 PM
"Could we possibly get a list of personnel with access to the production floor? If they were not sabotaged in transit, which seems unlikely, they were either sabotaged at the point of production or after arrival. After arrival being less likely.

Secondly, is there a system used to alert clients immediately when their product is finished so they could potentially detect any delay in delivery? I doubt during transit is how its being done, but thoroughness is important."

To see if there is anyway of intercepting a teleportation while its on its path (I mean, replacing the teleportation circle with another that leads to a particular location and then setting it into another teleportation circle after animating it leading to where it was supposed to go is possible... but I really hope we're not trying to track down a caster with 9th level spells).

[roll0]

NekoIncardine
2014-12-20, 08:12 PM
536 quietly observed at this point - Lux seemed to know this field far better than her at this immediate moment, so allowing him to gather information and just taking down what she saw and heard was her best bet.

[roll0] Perception for any potential oddities around the room.

Blueiji
2014-12-20, 10:58 PM
Asasar, very content with Lux handling the situation, begins to internally contemplate Talus' fashion choices.

Hmm, I don't quite like choice of a red tie with Mr. Legrix's particular skin tone. I mean, by all means red is a powerful color, and it complements the rest of his suit well, but I feel it matches his reddish flesh a little too well.

I suppose I would have gone with a black tie, but would that have been too boring? To predictable? Or would the intentional predictability of it be so unexpected that it became exciting?

And what of the red buttons? Certainly a bold choice . . .

Asasar's face scrunches in thought as he continues to ponder the representative's wardrobe.

dextercorvia
2014-12-23, 03:08 PM
"Deliveries are arranged withing a four hour window. That allows us some leeway in case we have a backlog. These packages were all tracked by divination after the investigation began. I'll double check, but I think there would be a note in the file if there was a delay, or they had been rerouted. It is possible that our divinations were foiled by more powerful magics, though.

I'll get you that list, but it will be tomorrow before it is ready."

dextercorvia
2014-12-25, 10:44 PM
Seeing that you had no more immediate questions Legrix hands you a document which grants you access to the warehouse floor below, only asking that you stay out of the way as much as possible. He then excuses himself. "You may find me the same way should you need me again." An assistant guides you back to the teleport circle to take you back to the first floor. You step inside, but instead of the lobby you find yourself in a very different place. You are standing in the great room of what appears to be some sort of lodge. There is a gigantic fire burning real logs in front of you. Your feet are cushioned by a deep plush rug, perhaps a mammoth hide. The walls are strangely rectangular, like nothing you are used to in Col Molweir, all quarried stone, and exposed beams.

"Welcome," a deep voice laughs behind you. Turning, you face a seven foot tall elf, dressed in red bishop's robes. He has a twinkle in his eye, and a smile on his lips. "My apologies for diverting you, and so far from my usual time. Unfortunately, entropy is coming, and I was barely able to reach you even now. Too long men have been their own gods, and the balance will be righted catastrophically. Because of the turbulence to come, my gifts to you this year, will be less traditional. Anything more advanced will be too risky." He raises a large hand over you all and recites a blessing in an almost forgotten tongue.

"Be careful of the coming storm." He puts a finger to pursed lips, and you are in the lobby of Fantastic Fabrications.

Those of you with any ranks of Knowledge Religion recognize this as St. Ory Talcum, the patron of Adventurers, non-metallic minerals, MacGuffins, and inexplicably mystical materials.

Your gift is a +2 enhancement bonus to a stat of your choice. Treat it like a slotless magic item you can't lose. Should it be an issue, you can pay to upgrade it later as though it is one of the usual stat items.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Blueiji
2014-12-26, 01:09 AM
Asasar stands in shock and confusion for a few moments, as he was without the foggiest idea what had just occurred.

Obviously that being had great magics of some sort, but why he chose to summon us to him, I haven't the slightest idea. His warning seemed fairly ominous though, perhaps I've gone a bit over my head joining this party?

Slowly, Asasar regains his bearing and glances at his companions, waiting for one of them to agknowledge the strange happening that just took place.

Aegis013
2014-12-27, 02:31 PM
Lux stands dumbfounded for a moment with his jaw gaping open as he comes to realize what just occurred.

"We were just visited by a deity..." he says, still in somewhat of a stupor.

NekoIncardine
2014-12-28, 03:33 AM
536, similarly, was paused by what she had just seen.

"... Clearly, they think us of import, to directly bring us a gift. That... Really, really, really doesn't bode well. To say the least. I'd take it as, most definitely, a sign that whatever's coming, it's way bigger than we've previously realized."

Worrisome as could be, that was for sure...

dextercorvia
2014-12-28, 09:47 PM
You show your credentials to the man at the desk again, and before you know it you are on the production floor. Weary eyed people sit at fabrication desks. They examine plans for a moment, then press a sigil, and a finished piece of furniture appears on their desk. Skeletal orcs take the finished items and the order form over to the shipping area. There, another weary eyed clerk activates the scrying storage crystal, showing the destination. He studies the image for a minute, then activates the greater teleport trap to complete the delivery.

Aegis013
2014-12-29, 09:27 PM
Lux saunters over to the clerk at the destination crystal and greater teleport trap, turning on his charm with an energetic smile, he greets the weary eyed clerk at the crystal and trap. "Hello. How are things going for you today?" and proceeds with small-talk in attempt to find out the clerk's name and build some rapport and, hopefully, a measure of trust before revealing his true purpose.

I assume this action would be a diplomacy roll. I'm so strongly wishing I had shaped Silvertongue Mask and bound Naberius.
[roll0]

NekoIncardine
2014-12-30, 04:09 PM
536, for her part, goes over to the sigil team, smiling lightly as she greets them. "Good afternoon, is your work going well?", she asks to start her own rapport, chatting with them for a couple minutes and letting her ease - both trained and natural - get on their good side.

[roll0] Diplomacy to build some basic rapport...
[roll1] ... And Sense Motive, eyeing out for any of the group reacting with abnormal suspicion or fear.

dextercorvia
2015-01-03, 11:43 AM
Lux saunters over to the clerk at the destination crystal and greater teleport trap, turning on his charm with an energetic smile, he greets the weary eyed clerk at the crystal and trap. "Hello. How are things going for you today?" and proceeds with small-talk in attempt to find out the clerk's name and build some rapport and, hopefully, a measure of trust before revealing his true purpose.

I assume this action would be a diplomacy roll. I'm so strongly wishing I had shaped Silvertongue Mask and bound Naberius.
[roll0]

"Look, I don't want to be rude, but I just came off lunch, and have quite a lot of work to do," the clerk shrugs at a line of items to be shipped. "It's not worth losing my job to chat with you."

The emphasis placed on the word worth indicates that he might change his mind if a suitable bribe were offered.

536, for her part, goes over to the sigil team, smiling lightly as she greets them. "Good afternoon, is your work going well?", she asks to start her own rapport, chatting with them for a couple minutes and letting her ease - both trained and natural - get on their good side.

[roll0] Diplomacy to build some basic rapport...
[roll1] ... And Sense Motive, eyeing out for any of the group reacting with abnormal suspicion or fear.

You are at a pod of four tables. All of the workers greet you cheerfully, but none stop working. You notice a hint of suspicion in all of their eyes.

NekoIncardine
2015-01-14, 09:21 PM
536 looks at the employees. "... Fear?", she said aloud after a second. "I'm no one to be afraid of," she said after a couple seconds. "I'm here to make sure some reported issues don't happen, is all. Have any of you seen anything particularly odd as of the past couple weeks or so?"

dextercorvia
2015-01-15, 09:19 PM
Everyone assures you that things are fine, and that nothing weird is going on. A young dwarf nods at you ever so slightly, and you get the feeling that he'd like to talk to you privately. He gets up and walks across the room to get a new stack of orders.

Aegis013
2015-01-15, 10:19 PM
Lux briefly considers the possibility of offering a bribe.

Does Lux know the approximate wage a worker of this person's position would make? Or an appropriate size for a bribe for someone in this position.
[roll0]
Hopefully the roll works from my phone.

Blueiji
2015-01-27, 07:36 PM
Asasar, not exactly sure what he should be doing, decides to approach one of his companions and assist in any way possible.

Striding towards 536, Asasar whispers a question.

"So are we going to follow the dwarf?"

NekoIncardine
2015-02-03, 01:30 AM
Asasar gets a nod in response, as 536 moves to follow the dwarf...

dextercorvia
2015-02-03, 11:42 AM
You begin to approach the dwarf, when suddenly an arrow from nowhere flies at 536. Tracking back to the source, you glimpse see a tiny shimmer in the air over near the shipping clerk.

Surprise Round
Arrow at 536 [roll0] Damage [roll1] + [roll2] Sneak attack. If it hits make DC 14 Fort save or take [roll3] Con poison, and DC 12 Fort Save or Die as a Death attack.

Initiative [roll4]
[roll5] to Hide again -- Roll a reactive spot with your initiative to see if you can pinpoint the creature.

Aegis013
2015-02-03, 06:59 PM
Lux notes the arrow and turns towards the direction from whence it came, carefully watching the glimmer in hopes he can pinpoint the thing, or discover what it is.

Initiative
[roll0]
Perception
[roll1]

Blueiji
2015-02-03, 07:42 PM
Asasar's eyes widen as the arrow flies towards his companion, and his first instinct is to duck under the nearest hard surface.

But, resisting this "flight" instinct, the undead Elf begins to scan the area that the arrow originated from, attempting to detect the source.

Initiative: [roll0]

Perception: [roll1]

NekoIncardine
2015-02-04, 08:48 PM
536 immediately spun towards the source of the arrow, glaring. "Attacks," she observed, as she prepared for battle.

[roll0] Initiative!
[roll1] Spot!

dextercorvia
2015-02-05, 06:04 PM
Another arrow flies from the same general area, this time at Lux.

Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1] + Sneak Attack [roll2] (I forgot craven last time), and make a DC 14 fort save vs [roll3] points of Con damage.

Stay hidden while sniping [roll4]. You all can make another reactive spot due to the attack.

Aegis013
2015-02-06, 02:30 AM
Fortitude Saving Throw: [roll0]
Perception:
[roll1]

Lux takes 12 damage and has 24 hp remaining.

Lux fails the Fort save, lowering his Con to 15, he loses 4 hp and has 20 hp remaining.

The arrow strikes Lux in the shoulder, immediately feeling the attack begin to drain his stamina, Lux assumes it's poison and cries out to his companions. "Watch out! The arrows are coated with poison!"

Blueiji
2015-02-06, 07:12 PM
Asasar, not used to the stress of combat, begins whirling around frantically, attempting to discern the location of their hidden attacker.

As he desperately looks about, the undead Elf also retrieves his bow from its place on his back.

Standard action to retrieve bow.

Perception Check: [roll0]

NekoIncardine
2015-02-09, 08:58 PM
As Lux announced the poison, 536 glanced where the arrows seemed to be flying from, making a rough guess to where the arrows were coming from...

"Fog Cloud!", she shouted, raising a barrier between the arrows' source and their location. Hopefully, forcing them to move would break their cover.

[roll0] Spot.

If 536 catches the sniper's location, the fog cloud will be right in front of that. Otherwise, it'll be vaguely in the direction the arrows came from, but not on top of the party. Her goal's to break the sniper's line of sight.

dextercorvia
2015-02-09, 11:03 PM
The cloud fills most of the room, leaving just a small area clear on your side of the room. The workers, who had cowered under their work stations when attacks were mentioned, begin to scream in terror. One of the screams closer to you, but not out of the fog cuts off in a gurgle.

Your turn

Blueiji
2015-02-10, 01:40 AM
Determined not to lose his cool any more than he already had, Asasar closes his eyes in deep focus.

He then open his mouth to take a deep, calming breath, but shuts it promptly after remembering that the undead don't have functioning lungs.

If Asasar could just hear the footsteps or movements of their assailant, then perhaps the he could pinpoint the location for his teammates.

With his eyes still scrunched shut in concentration, Asasar begins actively listening to his surroundings, trying desperately to get a sense of the attacker's location.

Asasar's base perception modifier is +11. He gets a +2 from the +4 wisdom bonus of Recitation of the Wise Man (I forgot this bonus on the last two rolls). His intense concentration also means that he's spending an inspiration point in order to add his Factotum level (which is 4) to the roll.

Perception Check: [roll0]

Aegis013
2015-02-10, 02:35 AM
At the end of the first round, after the fog cloud appears, (on his initiative at the end of the turn) Lux moves into cover behind one of the desks, rearranging his power to protect him as a swift action, he pulls two essentia from his Necrocarnum weapon soulmeld and moves them into his Strongheart Vest soulmeld, giving him 2 resistance to ability score damage.

Drawing on the supernatural power of the spirits, he chants as a sword (Incarnate Weapon soulmeld) materializes in his hand and casts Luminous Armor on himself.

dextercorvia
2015-02-10, 10:27 AM
Sorry, I forgot to roll stealth, since he had total concealment. [roll0]

Asasar will beat that no matter. So he can pinpoint the assailant, but its outline is wavy and indistinct. (20% miss chance)

You see a small humanoid standing next to the corpse of one of the workers near the big crafting table. It is about 15 feet from you.

Blueiji
2015-02-14, 10:34 PM
Asasar, still a little shaken but calmer now that he had pinpointed the general location of their assailant, yells out.

"Who are you? Why are you attacking us?"

After asking his questions, Asasar begins muttering quickly under his breath, reciting ancient words of truespeech that would enhance his vision and allow him to better analyze his opponent.

Asasar has opted not to take the free action necessary to maintain Recitation of the Wise Man so that he may take up Recitation of the Unclouded Eye instead. The DC for this check is normally 10, but Asasar is adding an additional 10 to the check so that if he succeeds he can tell the exact HP of any being he can see (instead of merely being able to tell if he can affect them with Utterances). The modified DC is 20.

Truenaming Check: [roll0]

dextercorvia
2015-02-14, 11:41 PM
The hazy creature looks at you, but does not answer. No aura appears to your altered sight.

52 hp currently. And, if I'm reading it right your absolute limit is 16?I see 20 on your sheet. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not overly familiar with Truenamers in general, and even less so with this fix.

Blueiji
2015-02-17, 01:25 AM
Is everyone waiting on me? I don't believe it's my turn but I could be mistaken.

Aegis013
2015-02-17, 10:25 PM
I think we're waiting on NekoIncardine, as Asasar acted utilizing his truespeech, I think, after the enemy took action at the beginning of the second round (before I posted my end of first round action, unless I'm confused and there are two assailants), and 536 presently has initiative. Then Lux will act.

I could be misunderstanding something though.

NekoIncardine
2015-02-18, 12:17 AM
536, for her part, used the opportunity granted by the fog cover to take some more practical cover, so she could start trying to figure out where this assassin was coming from...

[roll0] Stealth

Aegis013
2015-02-18, 06:55 PM
Lux prepares himself to attack the unseen assailant, figuring he can use the power of the supernatural to aid him in locating the enemy, he casts Guidance of the Avatar on himself, and moves out from behind cover in attempt to bait the enemy into attacking him again. As a swift action, he enters Iron Guard's Glare stance (which only applies mechanically once Lux is threatening the enemy) and calls out the foe.

"Show yourself, coward!"

dextercorvia
2015-02-18, 11:54 PM
Asasar sees the humanoid raise its bow and fire once again at Lux. Its wavering form remains difficult to track as it advances a few paces toward the group.

Arrow to Lux [roll0] attack. Damage [roll]1d3+1[roll] Sneak Attack [roll1] DC 14 Fort save, or take [roll2] Con damage
Stealth again [roll3]

dextercorvia
2015-02-18, 11:56 PM
Fixing damage roll [roll0]

Blueiji
2015-02-19, 12:11 AM
Asasar mutters an incantation under his breath, willing his bow to be more accurate with the power of Truespeech. He then loads and fires an arrow, attempting to hit the group's mysterious assailant.

Asasar is first using the Incantation Move the Arrow, with it's DC modified up to 17 in order to give a +4 bonus to Asasar's ranged attack rolls for one round. He does this as a move action.

He then spends two inspiration points, one to add INT to his attack roll and another to add his INT to damage.

Truespeech Check: [roll0]

Attack roll if Truespeech check is 17 or greater: [roll1]

Attack roll if Truespeech check is 16 or lower: [roll2]

Damage Roll: [roll3]

Aegis013
2015-02-19, 03:15 AM
The arrow strikes Lux again.

Lux takes 14 damage (DR 1/- which I forgot about last time), 5 goes into Steeley Resolve (forgot that last time too, sucks for me.) leaving Lux with 10 hp.

[roll0] Fortitude save.

Aegis013
2015-02-19, 03:16 AM
[roll0] expending Guidance of the Avatar on the roll.

dextercorvia
2015-02-19, 10:49 AM
The arrow strikes true. The shadowy stalker gives a slight grunt has it hits. Lux's heightened senses follow the arrow as it strikes, and he can discern the hazy outline of their assailant.

Asasar's miss chance [roll0] low always misses

NekoIncardine
2015-02-20, 06:17 PM
536, now fairly sure of her target, quickly stepped out, aiming where Asasar aimed with an Eldritch Blast...

[roll0] Ranged Attack
[roll1] Miss Chance, low misses per DM.

Aegis013
2015-02-20, 07:02 PM
On Lux's action, with no hesitation in his movement, he moves to engage the foe in melee, eager to prevent the enemy's escape. As a swift action he lowers his defenses in order to increase his offensive power, taking 2 essentia out of Strongheart Vest and reinvesting them into Necrocarnum Weapon. He strikes at his foe with reckless abandon!

Lux moves into melee if possible and attacks using Stone Bones (this is the third round so all of his maneuvers would be granted, resetting after this turn).

[roll0] to hit. (3 BAB, 2 Str, 3 Incarnate Weapon, 1 Furious Counterstrike)
In the event of a Critical threat: [roll1] to confirm.

Should it hit it deals: [roll2] damage.
In the event of a confirmed critical hit it deals an additional [roll3]

Stone Bones increases Lux's DR to 5/- until his next turn, if it hits.

Lux recovers two of his 5 maneuvers at random at the end of his turn. Assume the first readied Maneuver shown on the sheet is 1, second is 2, second roll the same, except one will be granted.
[roll4]
[roll5]

"I have you now, yellow-bellied fiend!"

As long as Lux threatens the creature, it takes a -4 to hit to attack anybody other than Lux and the creature is made aware of this as per the ability. If the creature attacks Lux with a melee attack, Luminous Armor's brilliance causes it to suffer a -4 to hit (the creature might not know this).

Lux's Steeley Resolve dumps into his HP, so he loses 4 hp and has 6 hp remaining.

dextercorvia
2015-02-20, 10:45 PM
The tiny, indistinct humanoid deftly dodges your attack. He draws a shortsword and makes a flourish, disappearing entirely from your view. The Aasimar feels an attack at his hamstring.

That was Cloak of Deception to go invisible, if anyone has Martial Lore trained.

Attack using Shadow Blade Technique, will take the better of the two rolls: Lux [roll0] [roll1] (Includes +2 for being invisible, and -4 for bright light) Damage [roll2], and Sneak Attack [roll3] (This doesn't take into account your DR.)

Stealth [roll4] (He is technically visible at the end of his turn, so if you can beat this check, you can spot him again.)
He is in Lux's space.

NekoIncardine
2015-02-20, 11:28 PM
536 saw that Lux was taking his share of cuts, and dashed in, hand glowing with healing energy to fix his wounds...

[roll0] to CAst Defensively
[roll1] HP restored to Lux

Aegis013
2015-02-21, 12:55 AM
Lux takes 24 damage, 5 goes into Steeley Resolve, so he takes 19 damage, lowering his health to -13.

Lux collapses motionless on the ground, dead.

dextercorvia
2015-02-21, 01:12 AM
I think it was 25 damage, reduced to 20 for your DR, then reduced to 15 from Steely Resolve. If I'm right, you are only at -9.

Blueiji
2015-02-22, 11:24 PM
Unsure of where the assailant went, but deeply worried for Lux's dwindling health (as Asasar can see the exact HP), the undead Elf begins incanting in reverse. Taking the usual words of Truespeech associated with entropy, Asasar instead flips them, resulting in words of vigor.

Asasar is using a reversed Syllable of Entropy. The base DC is 15 but Asasar is raising in it 19 in order to increase its effects. If successful, the end result should be granting 3d4 temporary hit points to Lux.

Truenaming Check: [roll0]

Hitpoints Granted: [roll1]

dextercorvia
2015-02-23, 03:09 PM
As the two of you attempt to tend to Lux, you hear an alarm go off. There is a shimmer of motion near the work table where the employee was killed. You have the sense that there is still a creature near you, but attempting to flee your current position.

Sorry to go back and forth, but Lux is dead, per Aegis's request. If you would rather change your action to a self-buff, or similar, go for it. I don't think anyone is capable of beating last round's stealth check anyway.

Stealth [roll0] You see the shimmer, either way, but...
There is another creature like the first putting Fabri-boxes from the table into a bag.

Stealth [roll1]
If you beat the above, you can make an AoO on the one near Lux as it tries to get away.

NekoIncardine
2015-02-24, 12:24 AM
Seeing the shimmer, 536 cursed under her breath. Evidence theft. Great. And of course, all her magic left her with nothing to try and handle a sufficiently skilled sneak - really stupid, given she herself was good at the role. The only thing she could try now was... Damn it, what could she do?!

Time to guess, with an eldritch blast aimed in the direction of where the one fleeing her seemed to be moving from!

[roll0] attack roll...
[roll1] damage...
[roll2] Miss chance (likely quite high - 536 is not superbly expecting to hit, but she's damn well trying!)

Blueiji
2015-02-24, 01:47 AM
Asasar sees the shimmer, but elects to simply move to guard Lux's body.

This was the first time he had seen death so up close, and he was to shocked to do much else.

dextercorvia
2015-02-24, 10:17 PM
The blast of flame gutters harmlessly against the workroom floor. A squad of four warforged burst into the room, followed by gnomish caster. the warforged spread out in the room, pointing barbed spears in all directions. The gnome casts a spell and scans the room, "Garl's Eggs! They got away again." He looks at the damage, and sees the three of you. You aren't employees! Stand right there! He pulls a device from his robe, and speaks into a gem, "You'd better get down to the workroom. We have a liability situation."

Two of the warforged flank you, with their spears pointed in your general direction. They appear to be guarding you rather than threatening immediate harm.

NekoIncardine
2015-02-25, 02:41 PM
As what 536 presumed to be a guard staff came into the room, 536 stopped, trying her best to track the fleeing criminals. Aloud, she observed, "High-end visibility occlusion effects in the hands of what I presume to be professional assassins. Great."

Blueiji
2015-02-26, 01:20 AM
Asasar raises his hands in surrender to the guards, but steps closer to Lux's unmoving body.

A small part of the Undead's elf shriveled little heart felt responsible for the death of his companion, and he was going to do whatever possible to make up for it.

dextercorvia
2015-02-27, 03:18 PM
An infernal diagram traces itself upon the floor not far from you. The stench of brimstone hits your nose just as Legrix appears in the workroom. He has another creature with him, likely an assistant of some kind.

Legrix walks over to the gnome, "Raiders again? What were the losses this time?"

Four fab-boxes, one tech, and an outsider. There are two more outsiders under guard.

Legrix just nods, not bothering to explain your presence. He saunters over to the dead worker, his assistant in tow. The lawyer pulls a device out of one of his (what must be extradimensional) pockets. It is a large swinging arm pendulum. Instead of a traditional bob, there is a humanoid skull anchored to the rod through the top. Legrix's assistant rolls over the dead man, and the devil puts base of the apparatus on the man's chest. He pulls the skeletal bob, and lets loose. As the bob swings lover over the man, the skull is obscured slightly by a ghostly image. With each pass of the pendulum the image of the worker's face covering the skull becomes a little more distinct. After a moment, the bob comes to rest at the nadir of its path, and the image contorts into an soundless scream. Legrix touches the device one more time, and the image gets pulled off of the skull -- as though it was being sucked into his chest.

The man inhales sharply, convulsing momentarily, and then his breathing settles.

For the first time, Legrix acknowledges your presence. "Good workers are so hard to retain. It is cost effective to have good benefits. Our life insurance is simply to die for." He saunters over your direction, holding his odd pendulum. "True Ressurection is unbearably expensive, however this device has saved us a bundle in liability costs. We wouldn't have even needed to trouble you about the unfortunate incidents, except there was nothing left of the bodies, and the true name of adventurers is notoriously hard to track down."

He casts a Speak with Dead spell, temporarily reanimating Lux's corpse. "Do you agree to be Truly Resurrected by this device, and that said resurrection will indemnify you for all loss and hold Fantastic Fabrications harmless of all liability? " He drones on in legalese for a couple of minutes.

It appears the gist of the deal is that Lux gets rezzed in exchange for not holding FF liable for his death and the associated pain and suffering.

NekoIncardine
2015-02-28, 07:38 AM
536 alternated between watching the scene before her, and observing the rest of the situation. They had investigations to get to, after all... And this appeared to be a pretty serious raid.

[roll0] Perception for a Search...

Aegis013
2015-02-28, 03:23 PM
The corpse of Lux responds with a simple, emotionless "Yes."

dextercorvia
2015-02-28, 11:01 PM
Legrix nods smugly as Lux's corpse answers in the affirmative. He places the device upon your chest and starts the pendulum.

From the moment of your death something seemed off. Your spirit drifted up over the workroom, and you could see the thieving assassins a bit more clearly. They were some sort of hairy humanoid creature -- half the size of a halfling. Your spirit drifted outside before seeing how they escaped. You were heading toward the sky, accelerating until the city was far below you. Suddenly, you crashed into some sort of odd barrier miles above the city. There were thousands of souls, perhaps millions all around you -- all trying desperately to get through the same barrier.

You have no better luck that the rest. It isn't long before you feel your spirit getting stretched, pulled back into your body. It is incredibly painful, but you have no choice in the matter.

OOC:Your character can not consciously remember any of the above, but bits of it will come back to you in dreams and daydreams over the next little bit. Play it up however you like.

Your eyes open to see Legrix kneeling over you. He whispers in your ear, "There is a gem in your pocket. Give it to Eric, the one who hired you to investigate this matter. Make sure you place it in his hand, and let no one know your mission."

OOC: That is a Lesser Geas spell, except with no save. Yes, you basically guessed it in the OOC, but the Resurrection is weird to. Re-read what he said, he never actually claimed he was using a True Resurrection on you. You are so anti-metagamey that I don't see the harm in letting you in on that. Like I said, I'm not sure any of the three of you are up to making the distinction, but you are welcome to try.

You hear Legrix whisper something to Lux, "...to Eric...hand...mission."

Aegis013
2015-03-01, 05:42 PM
Lux groans and coughs as his recently non-functional body is violently attempting to repair the damage caused by his brief demise. "Uuungh. I feel like I was run over by a horse. ...What happened? I don't remember anything after I engaged the intruder."

NekoIncardine
2015-03-01, 07:01 PM
"They managed to bring you down pretty quick, and then they fled," 536 explained. "Very fast, too... Looks like they were gunning for equipment, but also to silence potential witnesses. Not good."

Aegis013
2015-03-02, 01:50 AM
Lux looks blankly at 536 taking much longer than normal to process the information just presented.

"...bring me down? I died?"

Blueiji
2015-03-02, 03:03 AM
"You were struck down in combat, and Mr. Legrix here revivified you. I'm sorry that we let you fall in battle, I should have been more careful."

Aegis013
2015-03-02, 06:07 PM
Lux takes a moment to process this information. He turns first to comfort his ally.

"You can't blame yourself, Asasar. I knew the risks involved in engaging a foe in real combat. I merely overestimated my own abilities. There's really nothing you could've done to prevent me experiencing such a rude awakening." Lux hopes to lighten the lawyers spirits with a little word play.

He then turns to Mr. Legrix.
"But why would you bring me back, Mr. Legrix? My death wasn't your responsibility. Please don't misunderstand, I appreciate the expenditure of resources, but I don't fully understand the reason."

NekoIncardine
2015-03-03, 03:52 PM
536 looked towards Mr. Legrix, the same question clearly on her mind - she wasn't sure liability alone explained it.

dextercorvia
2015-03-03, 05:14 PM
"Unfortunately, I forgot to have you sign a liability waiver before allowing you to roam our workroom. I was concerned that could leave my employer open to litigation on your behalf. It might have been different if this raid was an isolated incident, but I'm afraid that they are an all to0 common occurrence. The creatures of the wild outside of our city are envious of our magic.

I know you can't remember it, but your companions witnessed your agreement to this exchange. I restored you to life, and you agreed not to sue over any part of this incident."

Talus turns to the gnome, "You know the drill. Get some spare fabriboxes and get this shop running again. Employee death is regrettable, but if this shop falls behind today, you will be on the hook for it. "

Aegis013
2015-03-04, 05:00 PM
Lux scratches his head momentarily, wondering how a dead man was more likely to sue than a living one, but quickly lets the thought go.

"I guess the dead employee's contract of employment contained a non-liability cause? It seems they should be resurrected too, unless there's some other standard procedure for factory floor employees." he adds, curious to see if Mr. Legrix has a heart, or if he was purely driven by some ulterior motive.

[roll0] to determine if something is amiss.

dextercorvia
2015-03-05, 11:32 PM
The employee has been resurrected, and will even be given the rest of the day off of work. We are quite fair to our employees.

Aegis013
2015-03-06, 02:56 AM
Lux takes a second look around, realizing there is no employee corpse. He rubs his face briefly and responds "Please forgive me, I must still be a somewhat discombobulated. I didn't realize you attended to the employee first."

NekoIncardine
2015-03-07, 10:27 AM
536 simply nodded. That, at least, made sense to her. But it did lead to the question as to why the small things had tried to kill the employee if he could be revived so easily...

Blueiji
2015-03-07, 04:07 PM
Asasar simply nods as well. He was still a little overwhelmed over what had just happened.

dextercorvia
2015-03-10, 04:36 PM
"Well, I hope you gathered the information you need for your investigation. We really need no distractions as we get this shop running again. You know where to find me if you need anything else." Legrix turns to his assistant, "Show these individuals out, we have work to do."

A very short time later you find yourself in the street just outside of Fantastic Fabrication's glasssteel doors. Where do you go next?

NekoIncardine
2015-03-12, 12:44 PM
"Just about nothing," 536 observed. "We need to try a different source. Rumor mills, as it were. Find some opportunities to follow up on."

She smiled. "Fortunately, that's a little more precisely my field. Let's set a meet point, gimme like eight hours to mill around, and we'll see if I can find anything."

536's plan is to do some Gather Information checks in the local low-life scenes, tracing on rumors of the methods she's seen used here. Hopefully that'll lead her to something useful.

Aegis013
2015-03-12, 04:54 PM
"Let's meet back where the feedboxes exploded after the eight hours. After all, you know what they say about culprits and crime scenes."

Lux turns to Asasar "Do you want to go visit Mr. "the Fist" and see if he has any clues regarding our current outlook? Or we could go visit my buddy Alekk and see if any of our observations about the culprits combat style gives us any clues. If there was something especially telling, Alekk might be able to tell us who it is, or how to find someone who does. I figure we have time for both, but we might as well decide what our next move is and adjust as needed. What do you say?"

Blueiji
2015-03-12, 06:15 PM
Asasar processes Lux's two suggestions and contemplates which they should go after first.

"I'm always up for meeting new people, but the name "Mr Fist" sounds a tad threatening to me. I'd rather rendezvous with this Alekk first."

Aegis013
2015-03-13, 12:07 AM
Lux departs to visit his old friend Alekk.

dextercorvia
2015-03-16, 09:32 AM
A long string of inquiries leaves you thankful for your portal pass. Still, your casual contacts eventually lead you to an apothecary in node 135. According to rumor it is a front for a black market component shop, which supplies reagents which are typically tightly controlled by the government, to arcanists who may not have all the proper paperwork. Dropping the name Zolomitzes got you this far.

A gaunt, crook-nosed dwarf is working at an apparatus that lines the back wall. He grunts at you as you enter, but doesn't turn from his work immediately. You wait for about a minute while the blood red liquid in one beaker evaporates through tubing in the shape of an arcane diagram. As it precipitates into another flask it is emerald green. He then turns and addresses you, "What can I get for you? Dorthalt's has potions and powders for weal and woe."

Alekk, a former underground fighter, now looks for talent, and promotes fights. His job is to match talent that will draw large and profitable crowds, while maintaining the illusion of discretion such illicit activities require. You meet him at a bar in node 182, the same node, but a few sectors away from Duskholt, where this started. He sits at his usual table. You pass one of his urchin runners on your way in. The boy is no doubt leaving to pass a message the old-fashioned way, as Alekk prefers not to use magic for business, "So, you are looking for a short, outlander, assassin type. Those make awful pit-fighters. No one wants to pay for a fight they can't see. Still, I've seen a thing or two in my time that might help if you can describe as much as you could see."

NekoIncardine
2015-03-16, 03:32 PM
536 nodded politely towards the dwarf, smiling lightly as she nodded. "I hear you're the go-to for specialist componentry," she said after a second. "I was wondering about the components for quick-cast invisibility effects and the cost thereof. Oh, you can call me... Miss Five, for the moment."

Not illegal by itself, but potentially suspicious. But she knew this fellow would need to pride himself on not asking too many questions. She needed to seem... About as experienced as she actually was, actually. And interested in pieces of use.

[roll0] Diplomacy to make a good first impression.

dextercorvia
2015-03-16, 04:22 PM
"Well, Miss Five, so long as you have that tongue in your head, you'll have all that you need for that. Unless perhaps you need some supplies for studying such a spell?"

He seems quite willing to help you figure out your issue.

Aegis013
2015-03-16, 08:44 PM
Lux ponders for a bit, and responds:"Well, their attacks weren't especially powerful, but were very precise and skillfully executed. I could feel the poison used on the bolts immediately sap my vigor." Lux folds his arms and concentrates a bit harder. "When I finally spotted it and had it in my sights, it vanished right when I'd closed the distance. It didn't seem like traditional magic, I didn't hear an incantation and there seemed to be no somatic components or anything of that nature. When it slashed me, it didn't seem to have the poison. Lux's brow furrows as he concentrates furiously "I remember being surprised by how small it was, too small to be a halfling. And... something about ...hair?" Lux's face contorts and he snaps back to reality, appearing to take a second to remember where he is and what he's doing. "I know it's not much, but if you have any thoughts on the matter, it'd be greatly appreciated."

"Oh, and also, this is Asasar, a brilliant lawyer. Asasar, this is Alekk the best prize fighting coordinator you'll ever meet. Just in case it's relevant or becomes relevant later, Asasar, another individual and myself have formed a troubleshooting task force, we've already got work from the government, so keep us in mind if you find a problem you need solved."

NekoIncardine
2015-03-18, 03:29 PM
"That'd be good to know, yes. But I'm also interested in who's been picking up those resources as late. Of course, I'm willing to pay extra for that info~", she explained.

Her intent is to bribe this fellow into offering her a line to track after she returns to the party...

dextercorvia
2015-03-19, 09:29 PM
Alekk thinks for a minute, then responds, "If you hadn't said anything about hair, I'd have thought muckdweller. They aren't local, but that doesn't matter with the right magic, and they are fond of any sort of magic or martial lore that improves their stealth. I fought a muckdweller one time. It had me cut in two dozen places before I finally pinned down its location and grabbed hold." His knuckles whiten as he demonstrates the hold he had on the creature. "But, if you sure it has hair that can't be right. Perhaps a goblin or a marrulurk with size reducing magic is what you encountered. I've heard rumors of a tribe of marruspawn that hires themselves out as assassins. They are supposed to have some sort of mind magic that makes them harder to catch than the usual desert varmint."

Let me know if you can hit this check.

"Many find short term, instant invisibility to their advantage. There have been a fair few seeking it out in recent days. You would be most disappointed with a list of names, however. Anyone worth knowing about has paid me handsomely for my silence. Is there anything else I can help you with?" His lips turn up into a thin smile. It seems genuine.

Aegis013
2015-03-20, 02:04 AM
"Hmm... alright. Thanks for info."

Lux is incapable of making the DC 25 knowledge check.

NekoIncardine
2015-03-21, 10:31 AM
536 considered her options here. She knew her magics weren't up to the job of compelling anything of use out of this fellow. Nor did she consider herself very good at being threatening - not without some serious backup at least. "The explanation that there's been quite a few buyers lately is a fair bit for me. And presumably, they've come multiple times - otherwise, you'd have offered me a price."

She nodded once, before continuing, "How much are the components, for someone capable of casting it for themselves? And how much for you to keep the same code of silence towards me as you offer your fellow customers?"

Blueiji
2015-03-22, 06:37 PM
Asasar nods, and then begins to think about what Alekk has said.
Asasar is spending an inspiration point and taking a 10 (if I may) on the Knowledge: Local check. That should result in higher than 25.

dextercorvia
2015-03-24, 09:45 PM
The dwarf pauses for a moment. "Unfortunately to my business, this particular spell has priceless components."

I can think of no decent IC way to say this. Swift invisibility has no material components, and it sounds like that is what you are asking about.

You have heard of a broker of sorts. She specializes in connecting buyers with the appropriate assassins for their needs. If someone has been hiring assassins anywhere in the city, the Matchmaker will know about it. You have heard that to contact her, you have to purchase a tindertwig from the pipe girl at at any bar in Duskholt. If you tip the correct amount (37g), she will get in touch with you.

Blueiji
2015-03-24, 11:01 PM
Asasar turns to Lux and whispers a short message.

"I may have a lead on finding out who hired the assassin. After we finish up with your friend here can we visit a bar?"

Aegis013
2015-03-25, 02:50 PM
"Thanks again, Alekk."

Lux (and presumably Asasar) take their leave and regroup at a pub/bar as per Asasar's suggestion.

"What are your thoughts?"

Blueiji
2015-03-25, 07:10 PM
Asasar neglects to immediately answer Lux and instead beckons over a pipe girl.

"I know of a certain . . . broker. We're going to get in contact with her."

Why are we using spoilers?

Aegis013
2015-03-25, 08:07 PM
NekoIncardine did, I assumed it was so we wouldn't know what each side was up to since the party is split presently, so meta reasons, I guess. I merely followed suit, not thinking too much about it.

dextercorvia
2015-03-26, 08:35 PM
The pipe girl takes your order and carefully lights your pipe with her tindertwig. Fragrant smoke curls up from the pipe and she lays the spent twig upon the table. As she walks away to her next table you find a scrap of parchment twisted around the part of the tindertwig that is held in the fingers. It contains a three digit number. The most likely scenario is that this is an address in Duskholt. If so, it is quite close to where you all met.

The spoilers are just to help with meta-knowledge. I don't mind if you read the others at this time, but if you choose to only know what your character does, this way you can just not read those spoilers.

Blueiji
2015-03-26, 11:45 PM
The undead Elf rises from the table.

"Do you mind if we leave, Lux? I realize you didn't have a chance to get anything, but this meeting may not hold for long."

NekoIncardine
2015-03-27, 09:30 AM
536 nodded, pulling out ten gold pieces. "Understood. And thank you for what little you've provided. Just this for not mentioning me to anyone, then."

Yeah I sort of forgot that. Do I need to roll a second Diplomacy check here?

dextercorvia
2015-03-27, 03:21 PM
The dwarf thanks you, and tells you to come back any time you have a component or research need.

A few minutes later you pass out of a portal into Duskholt and spot the others leaving a tavern a hundred meters or so down the path.

Temporal flux to facilitate the reunion. This will be whenever the two actually leave the bar. Your characters may have taken time to enjoy the smoke you purchased. I sort of had a hookah thing envisioned where two or more of you could enjoy from the same bowl. 536 was gone a long time.

Aegis013
2015-03-27, 03:52 PM
"Lead the way, friend." Lux's oddness comes through, seemingly having no problem having no idea what brought them to this place or where they might be going next. For a moment, it's not even clear if Lux is entirely aware of where he is right now.

dextercorvia
2015-03-31, 10:42 AM
The two of you leave the bar and head toward the square where the feeboxes exploded. Out of the corner of your eye, you see a familiar figure approaching. 536 looks to be on here way to rendezvous with you.

Aegis013
2015-03-31, 03:04 PM
"Greetings! Now, I suppose we should consolidate our next course of action after sharing any pertinent information we've uncovered." Lux looks around to see how the area is faring as he says this.

Taking 10 for a 16.

Blueiji
2015-03-31, 03:05 PM
"Greetings, 536. We were just headed over to a meeting with an individual who may be able to help us. Care to join?"

NekoIncardine
2015-04-02, 10:35 AM
536 nodded. "Didn't get a lot. Only clue-ins from the local supplier for 'lower-class' magic, shall we say, kept his confidence and I didn't want to risk anything by trying to force the info out. He did tell me there were several practitioners, though."

Blueiji
2015-04-02, 02:52 PM
Having acquired the approval of both of his companions, Asasar leads the way to the address in Duskholt.

dextercorvia
2015-04-03, 08:56 AM
The address takes you to a store that sells fabric by the yard. The clerk eyes you warily when you enter. It appears you aren't the usual clientele.

Aegis013
2015-04-03, 03:45 PM
Assuming samples are presented in the front of the shop, Lux gleefully goes around from sample to sample looking at the colors and designs. His hands sometimes stray towards the fabrics, but he hesitates, not sure what the appropriate protocol is for such a place, and not wishing to concern or upset the wary eyed clerk.

Blueiji
2015-04-03, 03:48 PM
Asasar makes sure his companions have entered the store as well and then turns to 536 and speaks softly, so as to only allow 536 and Lux hear.

"We're looking for an individual called 'the matchmaker'. Should I just ask directly or is there a more subtle way of going about this?"

Aegis013
2015-04-03, 07:35 PM
Lux shrugs "I don't know which one of these samples I like best. They're all pretty cool." He adds, hoping to nonchalantly inform his companions that he doesn't have a better method than the direct approach.

dextercorvia
2015-04-04, 08:37 PM
The clerk, a plump middle aged gnomish woman, continues her piercing stare but asks in a nasally voice, "Is there something I can help you find?"

Aegis013
2015-04-07, 01:17 PM
Lux approaches the clerk and says casually "Quite possibly. We're actually looking for an individual who goes by the moniker 'The Matchmaker'. Do you know where we might find such a person?"

dextercorvia
2015-04-07, 04:04 PM
The plump woman grimaces. "I thought as m..." She is interupted as a tall thin woman of indistinct race steps out of the back. She is approaching middle age, with just a hint of gray in her otherwise brown hair. Her most distinguishing feature is her nose -- a sharp beak if ever you saw one."Thank you, sister. I know how you hate it when we discuss business in front of you. Let's take a walk, shall we?"

The woman's straight skirt barely sways as she walks, shoulders held high out the front door. You follow her out into the courtyard where the foodboxes used to be. On the far side a cadre of magewrights are attempting to rebuild the station. They are protected by a squad of warforged.

The Matchmaker stops near a fountain. She pulls a long thin pipe from a satchel, and lights it with a tindertwig. "What can I do for the three of you? Let me guess," she addresses 536, "There is someone in your life that you'd rather wasn't a factor anymore? A husband, perhaps?" Her gaze pierces like the blade of her nose, "No, that's not quite right, but there is someone, no?"

Blueiji
2015-04-08, 02:55 AM
Asasar bows to the woman, clearly believing she's worthy of some kind of respect, but doesn't say anything.

NekoIncardine
2015-04-09, 01:00 AM
"Something akin to that," 536 responded after respectfully bowing in turn. "Unfortunately, it's almost assuredly not just one person."

Leave them questioning, and see what they spit out.

[roll0] Diplomacy for general reaction...
[roll1] Bluff to see if she's tricked into saying something she shouldn't by such a vague opener.

Aegis013
2015-04-09, 03:20 PM
Lux just seems confused, but hoping not to be rude, doesn't add anything and merely continues to observe and listen.

dextercorvia
2015-04-10, 01:10 PM
"The details of your needs are yours to keep, of course. Still, I can be more useful in arranging a suitable match if I know what it is you'd like to accomplish."

Blueiji
2015-04-12, 09:44 PM
Asasar speaks up, attempting to break the ice by explaining the group's purpose here.

"Hello Miss Matchmaker! We're Contra Noctem an investigative group working on a case involving a sabotage. We were told that you know quite a bit about, err, assassination jobs in the city and we're here to acquire some information."

Asasar turns to his teammates, hoping one of them will extrapolate, and also worrying that he may have been too blunt.

Aegis013
2015-04-13, 02:36 AM
Lux pipes in "Of course we don't expect this information for free, we're hoping maybe this can be a mutual back scratching affair. I'm sure someone of your... position, could find some use for a group of adventurers."

dextercorvia
2015-04-13, 08:42 AM
The woman winces slightly when investigations are mentioned, but then laughs, "You are delightfully blunt, but I'm affraid you must have misheard. As the Matchmaker I arrange assignations, not that other nasty business. I just make it possible for people in difficult situations to get out of the house for a few hours of respite. I wondered why all three of you came to make the arrangements." She winks, somehow at all of you with the single bat of her eye. Her face then grows hard. "Still, one hears rumors of such unfortunate events. I was expecting a shipment of a component for one of my love potions, and the delivery boy has gone missing. Perhaps, if I have the information you seek, you can locate and return my package? What is it you need to know?"

Yes, you may, of course, roll some Sense Motive.

Aegis013
2015-04-13, 05:21 PM
Lux carefully evaluates her words.

[roll0]

Aegis013
2015-04-14, 03:41 PM
Lux folds his arms over his chest and figures this is the best it's going to get.

"We'll find out what happened to your component shipment and the courier, but in order to do so, we'll need some more specific information.
-Do you know by what route the shipment was to be delivered?
-Can you think of any person or persons who may want the shipment for themselves or other uses for the component?
-Was any security assigned to the shipment in question?
-Do you know the name and appearance of the courier?"

dextercorvia
2015-04-15, 10:31 PM
"The courier is an elf named Nial, or something like that. Scrawny, dull-eyed, dirty blond hair. According to my source he has a taste for dreamleaf, and can sometimes be found in houses that provide that sort of entertainment down in the 214th. It's most likely that he got 'lost', or sold my package for a fix. If you can bring that package back to me, I'll get you your information. What, in particular were you wanting to know?"

Aegis013
2015-04-16, 03:05 PM
"We'll check it out. It seems someone has mounted a campaign of sabotage against Fantastic Fabrications. They have killed several employees and stolen at least a few items. They've even going as far as to cause the deaths of some customers and bystanders. Any information you could provide regarding these events and especially the culprits would be greatly appreciated. And I trust you'll keep this information discreet."

NekoIncardine
2015-04-17, 08:52 PM
536 nodded. Being so straightforward wasn't her usual method, but it seemed to be working... At least for now. This missing courier was a potential line of inquiry - somehow, it seemed like it might relate to the case.