PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Vanilla boring fighter build and stuff... help needed

Shadowscale
2014-10-21, 04:09 PM
I wanted to make a town guard fighter who is a pc surprisingly.

Using the two handed fighter archetype I had intended to use a greatsword and got these rolls
Race: Orc

Strength:26 (static +4 racial +4)
Dexterity: 12
Constitution: 18
Intelligence: 12
Wisdom: 10
Charisma: 11

I've never really played a fighter in pathfinder before and I know the class is mostly feats, so I was wondering which feats I should take to be the best boring great sword fighter I can be, I'm not the biggest fan of combat maneuvers, so less of those if possible. Not as familiar with pathfinder feats as I'd like to be which is why I need help.

Also just curious, is there a way for a fighter to get the favorite enemy class feature?

The Grue
2014-10-21, 08:09 PM
What level are you building at?

Shadowscale
2014-10-21, 10:59 PM
What level are you building at?
Firs initially, just need to know what sort of feats I should be taking.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-21, 11:04 PM
With that Strength modifier? Power attack at 1st. Pick up the Cleave chain for something to do when you need to move.

Best way for a fighter to get favored enemy is to play a ranger. With the five style feats, they get enough to more than fill out a combat feat tree (e.g. archery or TWF).

Shadowscale
2014-10-22, 12:22 AM
With that Strength modifier? Power attack at 1st. Pick up the Cleave chain for something to do when you need to move.

Best way for a fighter to get favored enemy is to play a ranger. With the five style feats, they get enough to more than fill out a combat feat tree (e.g. archery or TWF).

I wanted to have town guard fluff though and wear heavy armor with the higher hit dice.

Any other feats I should take?

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-22, 12:28 AM
I wanted to have town guard fluff though and wear heavy armor with the higher hit dice.

Any other feats I should take?

Higher hit dice? They're both a d10 in Pathfinder. As for armor, you could play a ranger, choose Two-Handed style, nab some Breastplate, upgrade to mithral Full Plate. Fluff as town guard? Sure. First favored enemy Humanoid (Human), first favored terrain Urban. Maybe take an archetype that trades away the Hunter's Bond and/or spellcasting.

The thing is, without the übercharger chain, THF really just has power attack and the Cleaving Finish chain. Not sure what else to tell you. Improved Critical and the Weapon Spec chain, I guess.

Sayt
2014-10-22, 12:51 AM
I'd avoid cleave myself, and pick up Dazzling Display instead, if only so you can get Shatter Defenses.

The Step Up and Strike Line is excellent, and when combined with Disruptive and Spellbreaker, if you get next to an enemy caster, you have the capacity to make them quite unhappy.

If you have access to third party material, Dreamscarred Press' Martial Training I-VI is just about a must, particularly the Primal Fury and Scarlet Throne school. If you do pick up maneuvers, pick up furious focus as well, so power attack doesn't penalize your one-shot maneuvers.

Favored enemy only available to Fighters if they have a Ranger in their party who takes hunter's bond: Companions, but just about nobody does (Because it's not good and eats action economy)

Shadowscale
2014-10-22, 01:16 AM
I'd avoid cleave myself, and pick up Dazzling Display instead, if only so you can get Shatter Defenses.

The Step Up and Strike Line is excellent, and when combined with Disruptive and Spellbreaker, if you get next to an enemy caster, you have the capacity to make them quite unhappy.

If you have access to third party material, Dreamscarred Press' Martial Training I-VI is just about a must, particularly the Primal Fury and Scarlet Throne school. If you do pick up maneuvers, pick up furious focus as well, so power attack doesn't penalize your one-shot maneuvers.

Favored enemy only available to Fighters if they have a Ranger in their party who takes hunter's bond: Companions, but just about nobody does (Because it's not good and eats action economy)

With orc not having a bonus feat that's 2 feats first level.. can you help me pick good feats up to maybe 10?
I wanna be a quintessential fighter, planning on taking two handed fighter archetype, want to mesh as many feats as I can to that.

Also once I hit full plate am I done, or is there better armor than that?

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-22, 01:33 AM
With orc not having a bonus feat that's 2 feats first level.. can you help me pick good feats up to maybe 10?
I wanna be a quintessential fighter, planning on taking two handed fighter archetype, want to mesh as many feats as I can to that.

Also once I hit full plate am I done, or is there better armor than that?

1st: Power Attack, Weapon Focus
2nd: Dazzling Display
3rd: Martial Training I (Scarlet Throne)
4th: Furious Focus
5th: Martial Training II (Scarlet Throne)
6th: Cornugon Smash
7th: Martial Training III (Scarlet Throne)
8th: Shatter Defenses
9th: Martial Training IV (Scarlet Throne)
10th: Improved Critical
11th: Martial Training V (Scarlet Throne)
12th: Dazing Assault
13th: Martial Training VI (Scarlet Throne)
14th: Critical Focus
15th: Bleeding Critical
16th: Staggering Critical
17th: Critical Mastery
18th: Stunning Critical
19th: Iron Will
20th: Improved Initiative

Feats after 13th level can be swapped around without changing the build's style much. Pick a two-handed weapon with a good crit range. Max out Intimidate and Sense Motive (getting it in-class at level 1 via traits would be good). For Martial Training, nab some good strikes and counters (the Sense Motive-based ones are nice, but the best is IRON HEART SURGE Sanguine Perfection).

Armor-wise there's theoretically Hellknight Plate, which via the Hellknight Commander PrC gets pretty badass (armor bonus +9, max dex +4, ACP -2 by level 8 in the PrC), but it's just +9/+1/-5 without levels in the class.

Abd al-Azrad
2014-10-22, 02:21 AM
Not to challenge your resistance to combat maneuvers, but as a vanilla "town guard," I would recommend some methods of incapacitating foes without killing them via massive crits with a greatsword. Slaying your enemies is a military tactic, keeping the peace is (at least in theory) what the Guard is meant to do.

Trip, Grapple and Disarm maneuvers are all wonderful for stopping angry drunks, robbers, and civil disobedients. You should at least pick a backup weapon that can be used to occasionally inflict nonlethal damage, like a sap.

Shadowscale
2014-10-22, 06:24 AM
Not to challenge your resistance to combat maneuvers, but as a vanilla "town guard," I would recommend some methods of incapacitating foes without killing them via massive crits with a greatsword. Slaying your enemies is a military tactic, keeping the peace is (at least in theory) what the Guard is meant to do.

Trip, Grapple and Disarm maneuvers are all wonderful for stopping angry drunks, robbers, and civil disobedients. You should at least pick a backup weapon that can be used to occasionally inflict nonlethal damage, like a sap.

A bunch of the feats above I can't use anyway due to lack of scarlet book.

Any idea for appropriate feats to fill in the gap?
What is real guardish while still playing to the character's strengths, and two handed archetype if available?

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-22, 06:46 AM

What is real guardish while still playing to the character's strengths, and two handed archetype if available?

The entirety of Path of War is on the PFSRD; it's on the sidebar along the left-hand side, but you have to scroll down a ways. Maneuvers are listed and described in the "Art of the Blade" section. Scarlet Throne is the primary discipline for THF.

For making a THF guard-like character, the best option is probably a Warder with the Zweihander Sentinel archetype, which lets you use a two-handed weapon as a shield, but you want to stick with fighter so there's not much you can do in the way of effective guarding other than just fluff and maybe using a polearm as your primary weapon. Potentially a reach tripper build?

Eldaran
2014-10-22, 06:46 AM
How do you have so much strength at level 1? What is giving you the static +4?

Feint's End
2014-10-22, 06:50 AM
@The ranger suggestion: in pathfinder you still need proficiency with heavy armor to not get any penalty

@path of war suggestion: good idea! However scarlet throne is probably not the discipline op wants. I'd rather focus on primal fury (also I'm not sure feat prequs weren't ignored)

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-22, 07:19 AM
@path of war suggestion: good idea! However scarlet throne is probably not the discipline op wants. I'd rather focus on primal fury (also I'm not sure feat prequs weren't ignored)

Really? They want THF, and Scarlet Throne is good for that... also it's a lot more orderly-seeming than Primal Fury is. And feat prereqs were met; the only requirements for Martial Study I-VI is that you have the previous versions of the feat and you have high enough BAB or high enough ranks in Knowledge (Martial).

andysowhat
2014-10-22, 07:51 AM
take toughness for the ultimate hp!

Abd al-Azrad
2014-10-22, 07:55 AM

Beyond the basic THF combat feats (Power attack, Furious Focus, Vital Strike, the Critical Feat chain), I would bump your Intelligence to 13 at level 4 and pick up the following:

Combat Expertise
Combat Reflexes
Improved Trip
Greater Trip
Lunge

Then use a Guisarme as your weapon of choice. Two-handed, reach, 2d4 base damage, x3 crit multiplier, and as a Tripping weapon, you can add its Enhancement bonus, your Feat bonuses like Weapon Focus, and your Fighter Weapon Training bonuses to your Trip CMB rolls.

Greater Trip means, when you trip a foe, you get a free Attack of Opportunity against them. Since they're now prone, you get a +4 bonus to your attack rolls, which means you can also take a -4 penalty to your attack rolls to deal nonlethal damage (net zero penalty).

Overall, your damage output against untrippable foes doesn't suffer too badly, but you can also very quickly and efficiently subdue people you want to keep alive. You have a 10' radius of combat control (15' with Lunge), so good positioning can help you direct the entire course of a battle.