Level: Wiz 0
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 Minute
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: None
You hit yourself over the head with a blunt object, dealing one point of non-lethal damage. You gain +1 to your Intelligence score until the duration of the spell ends.
Focus: A blunt object weighing at least five pounds, such as a spellbook.

I'm kinda new here, but I wanted to see how this spell I've been working on would pass over. Any suggestions to it?..

Demented
2007-03-18, 06:12 PM
Wouldn't a range of Touch be better? ;)

"You hit someone over the head... They gain +1 to their Intelligence score..."

Karathi
2007-03-18, 06:19 PM
Well, the hidden purpose of it was to allow my character, Zadum, to deal a point of non-lethal damage to his familiar, a badger, in order to make it rage. I figured with share spells, he could do that. Though Touch, and one willing works, but I'm not so sure as a cantrip, though.

Roethke
2007-03-18, 06:19 PM
Very nice flavor.

As it stands, though, it's actually quite a powerful buff. If I were a high level wizard, I'd be happy to cast this (and it's extended version) as many times as I could before a battle in order to up the DC of my saves. Make it an enhancement bonus and you're golden.

Karathi
2007-03-18, 06:20 PM
Very nice flavor.

As it stands, though, it's actually quite a powerful buff. If I were a high level wizard, I'd be happy to cast this (and it's extended version) as many times as I could before a battle in order to up the DC of my saves. Make it an enhancement bonus and you're golden.

Ahh, I forgot enhancement bonus, didn't mean to cast it more that one time. Thanks!

Roethke
2007-03-18, 06:38 PM
Oh, one more thing.

Verbal component must be

"pie Jesu Domine,
dona eis requiem"

:)

Necromas
2007-03-18, 06:52 PM
Even if it's unnamed your limited to +1 because bonuses from the same source (in this case multiple castings of the same spell) do not stack.

Karathi
2007-03-18, 06:56 PM
So now we're at...

Zadum's Muse
Enchantment [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Wiz 0
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Touch
Target: 1 Willing
Duration: 1 Minute
You hit the target over the head with a blunt object, dealing one point of non-lethal damage. The target gains a +1 enhancement bonus to its Intelligence score until the duration of the spell ends.
Focus: A blunt object weighing at least five pounds, such as a spellbook.
Verbal Component:
"pie Jesu Domine,
dona eis requiem"

Necromas
2007-03-18, 06:59 PM
Well, the hidden purpose of it was to allow my character, Zadum, to deal a point of non-lethal damage to his familiar, a badger, in order to make it rage.

You couldn't find any cantrips that do like 1d3 nonlethal or something?

I don't think it would be considered a cheap strategy, it's much the same as whipping a trained animal to provoke it into fighting.

Karathi
2007-03-18, 07:09 PM
You couldn't find any cantrips that do like 1d3 nonlethal or something?

I don't think it would be considered a cheap strategy, it's much the same as whipping a trained animal to provoke it into fighting.

Well, it'd be out of character to use a spell to do something that specific that he didn't make, since he is a spellcrafter by trade. I've thought of a couple other spells, too. One makes the target temporarilly insane, but gives +6 intelligence and -4 wisdom. The other uses lightning to resurrect someone who died within the past three minutes. If it deals damage equal to the targets max health, they come back, alive with 1/5 of their max health. Excess damage is dealt to the caster and the target, though. If it deals under, the body is fried, and only a true resurrection or a wish can bring them back.

Stormthorn
2007-03-18, 07:33 PM
The other uses lightning to resurrect someone who died within the past three minutes. If it deals damage equal to the targets max health, they come back, alive with 1/5 of their max health. Excess damage is dealt to the caster and the target, though. If it deals under, the body is fried, and only a true resurrection or a wish can bring them back.

BZZZT-CHAAA!
It is alive! Bwwahahahaha!

Karathi
2007-03-19, 08:22 PM
Some new spells made by my Wizzy, Zadum.

Don't quite know the exact wording on either of these, but I think I have it right...
Zadum's Objection
Universal
Level: Wiz 3
Casting Time: Free action
Range: 10 ft/level
Target: Enemy caster
Duration: Instantaneous
You utter a loud word, and make threatening gestures with a heavy blunt object. The enemy mage finds that the spell he was casting has been nullified entirely.
Make a spellcraft check against the enemy caster's save DC, adding +5 if you have improved counterspell. If you beat their save DC, the spell is countered.
Focus: A blunt object weiging at east five pounds, such as a spellbook.

And, the Defibulator!
Zadum's Defibulator
Evocation [Lightning]
Level: Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M, F
Casting Time: 5 rounds
Target: One corpse that has been slain within three minutes
Saving Throw: None, Special
You swiftly set upon the fallen comrade, setting a object of moderate heft upon their chest to keep them from flailing about as you set to do your grim work.
You fire multiple blasts of lightning into the corpse, hopeing the energy can spark the vital systems back into operation. You do 5d8 damage to the corpse. If the damage equals or exceeds their max health total, they are revived, with 1/5 of their max health. Damage exceeding their max health is dealt to the target and you, potentially killing the target (and you). If the damage dealt is not equal or exceeding the target's max health, you take that damage as feedback.
Material Component: At least ten feet of copper wire, wound around the focus.
Special: A soul that does not wish to return cannot be revived in this manner, and all damage dealt to the corpse is transfered back to the caster.

Jack_Simth
2007-03-19, 08:40 PM
Zadum's Objection is overpowered. Your spellcraft check vs. their spell save DC? At 5th, a Wizard is liable to have about a +13 or so to the spellcraft check, and a save DC for a 3rd level spell of about 18 or so. 75% chance, roughly, of a successfull counterspell.

At 10th, a Wizard is liable to have about a +19 or so to the spellcraft check, and a save DC for a 5th level spell of about 22 or so; about an 85% chance of a successfull counterspell.

At 15th, a Wizard is liable to have about a +26 or so to the spellcraft check, and a save DC for an 8th level spell of about 26 or so; about a 100% chance of a successfull counterspell.

At 20th... yeah. Right. You're not casting anything with this guy around.

Dispel Magic is an opposed check - caster level vs. caster level, and you have to ready an action to make it work at all.

A Spellcraft vs. Concentration check, maybe....

Oh, and you're looking for 1 immediate action on the casting time.

Karathi
2007-03-19, 09:00 PM
Zadum's Objection is overpowered. Your spellcraft check vs. their spell save DC? At 5th, a Wizard is liable to have about a +13 or so to the spellcraft check, and a save DC for a 3rd level spell of about 18 or so. 75% chance, roughly, of a successfull counterspell.

At 10th, a Wizard is liable to have about a +19 or so to the spellcraft check, and a save DC for a 5th level spell of about 22 or so; about an 85% chance of a successfull counterspell.

At 15th, a Wizard is liable to have about a +26 or so to the spellcraft check, and a save DC for an 8th level spell of about 26 or so; about a 100% chance of a successfull counterspell.

At 20th... yeah. Right. You're not casting anything with this guy around.

Dispel Magic is an opposed check - caster level vs. caster level, and you have to ready an action to make it work at all.

A Spellcraft vs. Concentration check, maybe....

Oh, and you're looking for 1 immediate action on the casting time.
I meant to use dispel magic as a guideline, but I didn't want to go look it up, I'll incorporate what you said into the spell. Thanks for your imput!

Zadum's Objection
Universal
Level: Wiz 3
Casting Time: 1 Immediate action
Range: 10 ft/level
Target: Enemy caster
You utter a loud word, and make threatening gestures with a heavy blunt object. The enemy mage finds that the spell he was casting has been nullified entirely.
Make an opposed caster level check against the target spellcaster, adding +5 to your check if you have improved counterspell. If you beat their check, their spell is countered. You may cast this spell immediately if you succeed on a spellcraft check to identify casting of an enemy spellcaster's spell.

How's that?

Myatar_Panwar
2007-03-19, 09:00 PM
Maybe state that the spell can only be used to counter spell those of level 3 or lower. Maybe 2 or lower. (and I'm talking about Zadum's Objection)

Karathi
2007-03-19, 09:09 PM
Maybe state that the spell can only be used to counter spell those of level 3 or lower. Maybe 2 or lower. (and I'm talking about Zadum's Objection)

Well, I rebalanced it in the above post, so, I think it should work fine-ish... >_>

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-19, 09:16 PM
If you want to cast a spell as a counter against another spell, you need to give it a casting time of Immediate.

Black Mage
2007-03-19, 09:18 PM
Zadum's Defibulator
Evocation [Lightning]
Level: Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M, F
Casting Time: 5 rounds
Target: One corpse that has been slain within three minutes
Saving Throw: None, Special
You swiftly set upon the fallen comrade, setting a object of moderate heft upon their chest to keep them from flailing about as you set to do your grim work.
You fire multiple blasts of lightning into the corpse, hopeing the energy can spark the vital systems back into operation. You do 5d8 damage to the corpse. If the damage equals or exceeds their max health total, they are revived, with 1/5 of their max health. Damage exceeding their max health is dealt to the target and you, potentially killing the target (and you). If the damage dealt is not equal or exceeding the target's max health, you take that damage as feedback.
Material Component: At least ten feet of copper wire, wound around the focus.
Special: A soul that does not wish to return cannot be revived in this manner, and all damage dealt to the corpse is transfered back to the caster.
This spell becomes completely useless at mid to high levels. Even at level 8 you're lucky if you can manage to revive anyone in your party with this spell if they are the same level. Maybe another wizard or sorcerer, but that's about it. You might want to consider having it scale with level.

Necromas
2007-03-19, 09:41 PM
By the time you get level 4 spells, anyone who dies easily enough to 5d8 damage to have a decent chance of that spell reviving them is just gonna need you to be constantly reviving them. Even a level 9 wizard with 12 con should have too much hp for it to work on unless your pretty lucky or the wizard is unlucky.

Suppose it works good on hirelings and NPCs that aren't meant for front line fighting though, especially since they wouldn't be worth the material component of a regular res spell.

Karathi
2007-03-20, 03:10 PM
This spell becomes completely useless at mid to high levels. Even at level 8 you're lucky if you can manage to revive anyone in your party with this spell if they are the same level. Maybe another wizard or sorcerer, but that's about it. You might want to consider having it scale with level.

By the time you get level 4 spells, anyone who dies easily enough to 5d8 damage to have a decent chance of that spell reviving them is just gonna need you to be constantly reviving them. Even a level 9 wizard with 12 con should have too much hp for it to work on unless your pretty lucky or the wizard is unlucky.

Suppose it works good on hirelings and NPCs that aren't meant for front line fighting though, especially since they wouldn't be worth the material component of a regular res spell.

I'll re-write it to scale with level, how much damage per level should it do, though?.. And what should it max at, if at all?

DracoDei
2007-05-04, 08:04 AM
d8/level would still be good in my opinion, 1d10/level... Assuming usually positive CON mods that should give a reasonable chance of it working. Probably needs an expensive material component (but not as expensive as Raise Dead)... maybe some ability damage too. Should also maybe include the option of using less dice so you can use it on your familiar or hirelings.

Peregrine
2007-05-04, 02:25 PM
And, the Defibulator!

Defibulator? You mean a fibula remover? Oww... a spell for deboning opponents' legs... :smalleek: :smalltongue:

(The heart-zappy device is a defibrillator.)

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-05-04, 08:31 PM
Yay for Monty Python references!

Karsus
2007-05-04, 08:31 PM
Hey, Like you idea for an INT increasing spell I have a spell that I would like to post if thats alright.

Wraith Leech
Spell Craft: 95
Components: Thought and Contact
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch and Personal
Target: You, touched creature
Duration: Permanent
Saving throw: Will negates (Harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (Harmless)

Drains targets life force increasing their age by 10 years while permanently giving the caster +1 to 5 ability's, all of which can be the same. This spell automatically switches the casters alignment to Evil.

This spell was made by use of the Epic Players hand book. Let me know what you think and if you would like to see more spells like this one. Currently I am in the process of recreating the wizard known as Karsus form the forgotten realms campaign, along with an arsenal of epic spells and artifacts created in the fugue plane before the fall of magic to be used in my group as the villain and his lair. For those of you unfamiliar with Karsus give me a shout.

knightsaline
2007-05-05, 10:48 AM
This spell was made by use of the Epic Players hand book. Let me know what you think and if you would like to see more spells like this one. Currently I am in the process of recreating the wizard known as Karsus form the forgotten realms campaign, along with an arsenal of epic spells and artifacts created in the fugue plane before the fall of magic to be used in my group as the villain and his lair. For those of you unfamiliar with Karsus give me a shout.

wasn't karsus the mage who decided that he could do a better job of attending to the weave that he killed the tarrasques mate and and an elder gold dragon just so he could cast a spell that turns him into the Master of The Weave, killing the previous god of magic. Ao got angry and turned Karsus into a giant statue and banished him to the plane where dead gods go. Ao then rebooted the god of magic into Mystra, then she rebooted the Weave, however, in rebooting the Weave, gaps appeared and thus the Shadow Weave was born

Karsus
2007-05-05, 11:41 AM
Yes and no the weave and the shadow weave got fused way back in the beginning when the two gods Chauntea and Selune battled and birthed the first gods under them. "During the course of her eternal war with the goddess Selune, the goddess Shar created the Shadow Weave in response to Selune's creation of Mystra and the birth of the Weave." "Karsus, an incredibly talented archmage responsible for bizarre advances in magic, felt it was his duty to hold the nation together in its time of need. Casting a spell he had been researching for a decade, Karsus created a link to Mystryl so that he could steal her power and become a Deity. Upon completing the spell, his body swelled with divine power and his mind expanded with unimaginable knowledge-including the knowledge of the horrible mistake he had just made. Having stolen the divinity from one being capable of consistently repairing the damage to the weave the magic-gluttonous the Netherese and phaerimms caused, Karsus threatened the existance of magic, since he was not prepared for such a task.
Mystryl sacrificed herself to save the weave before the damage was irreparable. This Severed the link to Karsus, petrifying him and temporally negating all magic in the world. The Netherese flying cities plummeted, and Karsus's stony form, still containing a fading omniscience, watched as all he knew and cared about was destroyed because of his folly. Despite this sages know Karsus as the only being who attained godhood with a single spell." This is the professional version of his Godhood. I wanted to add that for the brief time that he was a god, the fact that they have no time. That he was taken to the court of the gods and Ao himself was on the opposition. It was decided that Karsus would channel his power back to Mystryl and save the weave. This would cause him to turn to stone. But before he did he created a portal between the fugue plane and the material and sealed a space inside the fugue plane so that no beings in the fugue plane could enter the portal. Note should be taken that this is not the same fugue plane as the one where people go when they die but the fugue plane that is normally used in D&D. an abyss where anything you will to exist comes into being; and for those of you who think this is a bad Idea I have already thought of away to permanently keep players out. Anyway Karsus is forced to watch the destruction of his world and then is; because my version of him is that he is a lich, that is changing his appearance, who has been alive since the discovery of the Nethril Scrolls; brought back to life again because he onceagain is a mortal lich. He cares for his people as much as a man cares for his property. Ao decided that he may live on with the pain of his task, to which he imparted to him so he would be able to feel remorse, but he would be striped of his power and his name. Only the return of his name can return his powers, but all have forgotten the face of Karsus. Oh and his power being his spells and that spell fire deal that mystryl gives to her devoted followers.
If you have any complaints about this/ suggestions please let me now because as of yet the He is not in the game, I still have things to work out.