PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Where oh where did that crocodile go?

ImaDeadMan
2014-10-22, 04:30 AM
If a werecrocodile (Sandstorm, pg. 167) with a level of rogue were to attack a character with it's bite and succeed on the subsequent grapple check (from Improved Grab), would he deal sneak attack damage each round he maintains the grapple and bites the character since the character is denied their dex bonus to AC? Normally I would think that's exactly what would happen considering your sneak attack damage triggers when you hit something that is denied its dex bonus to AC but what makes me question that in this particular case is the feat Savage Grapple from CA. This feat states "While you are in a wild shape, any time you make a successful grapple check to damage a creature with which you are already grappling, you can add your sneak attack damage as well. Creatures not subject to sneak attacks don't take this extra damage." This leads me to believe that you would otherwise not apply SA to your damage in a grapple without this feat or something similar.

I would really appreciate some help with the ruling on this one. Personally I'm leaning toward allowing the SA normally while grappling with the bite attack.

HighWater
2014-10-22, 04:34 AM
No Dexterity Bonus

You lose your Dexterity bonus to AC (if you have one) against opponents you aren’t grappling. (You can still use it against opponents you are grappling.)

According to the normal Grapple rules, you only lose dexterity bonus against people OUTSIDE of the grapple. Therefore, if you grapple someone, that person is not denied their Dex bonus to you and Sneak Attack does not apply.

Minty_Illness
2014-10-22, 04:36 AM
I'd imagine that the grapple counts as all the same attack up until the opponent can either break free or assume dominance. You might be right to allow the SA on the grapple.

ImaDeadMan
2014-10-22, 04:44 AM
According to the normal Grapple rules, you only lose dexterity bonus against people OUTSIDE of the grapple. Therefore, if you grapple someone, that person is not denied their Dex bonus to you and Sneak Attack does not apply.

You pointed out something my sleep-deprived self missed. Thank you! So yeah, no SA for the people IN the grapple under normal conditions.

HighWater
2014-10-22, 05:06 AM
You pointed out something my sleep-deprived self missed. Thank you! So yeah, no SA for the people IN the grapple under normal conditions.

Happy to help!

It's the Grapple rules, getting it all right is the exception, not the rule. :smallwink: