PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Spending 300k on Dracolich equiptment

Pinjata
2014-10-22, 06:11 AM
Hey guys,

I'd need some ideas on FIVE items I intend to give to my Dracolich. I do not want anything too complex. Most complex thing he will have is Scale of Scintillating scales (Custom made, Scintillating scales spell that equalizes his natural and touch AC). This thing is 24.000 gp and I need 4 more items. I do not want anything too complex, so so far i have:

amulet of mighty fists +5 150 k
bracers of armor +8 64 k
Ring of Freedom of movement 40 k

... got any other ideas for me? Or good suggestions of expencive stuff that gives him simple bonuses/immunities? Perhaps protection from something undead would fear? Well, not actually fear, just protection from something that could hit them hard.

thanks

TheMooch
2014-10-22, 04:19 PM
Hey guys,
Perhaps protection from something undead would fear? Well, not actually fear, just protection from something that could hit them hard.

Give them an item of protection from positive energy. This covers a lot of undead's weak spots (turning, getting hit with a heal spell etc).

Garktz
2014-10-22, 04:29 PM
Ring of counterspells and +1 on prot from possitive energy

OldTrees1
2014-10-22, 04:31 PM
Ring of Mental Fortitude (DMG2). 110000GP, ring slot. Gets you the mind-affecting immunity aspect, but not the anti-divination aspect.

Ring of Freedom of Movement (DMG). 40000GP, ring slot. Continuous Freedom of Movement. One of the more expensive and powerful rings in 3.5, can be well worth it at very high levels.

Belt of Battle (MIC). 12000GP, waist slot. +2 competence bonus to initiative. At 12k it doesn't really fit in the bargain bin, but it's going to be one of the first items on your wish list anyway, because the secondary benefit is granting EXTRA ACTIONS.

-List of Necessary Magic Items.

Squark
2014-10-22, 06:05 PM
Either a ring of protection from positive energy (3rd level spell that lasts 1 round/level as a continuous effect. that should be enough for you to calculate the price from the DMG) or a ring of counterspells with a Heal spell.

After that, the belt of battle is crazy good, and the Third Eye Clarity (3000, head slot) isn't a bad purchase if your party uses the daze effect (No, it's not metagaming. If your party uses it, other people do, and that means an old, highly intelligent dragon will know he needs to have something to do about it).

WhamBamSam
2014-10-22, 11:45 PM
I'm a big fan of Martial Study/Stance feats and maneuver items for old dragons because they have relatively high IL for their CR. That goes double for Dracoliches, since they're not great at doing the whole casting dragon thing compared to living dragons of equal CR and can't cast from possessed bodies for about a week if the first one gets broken. An Eternal Wand of Heroics also works for picking up maneuvers/stances.

I have a soft spot for Setting Sun throws and counters, but short of forcing your way to Tornado Throw qualification, Iron Heart is probably the way to go here. Wall of Blades is really hard to beat at a dragon attack bonus and the maneuvers that hit multiple targets combined with Flyby Attack and the Dracolich Paralyzing Touch could be nasty if the party isn't rocking paralysis protection, or said protection gets dispelled.

Still, magic is everything, so scrolls and metamagic rods are also solid, at least while the dracolich is in body 1.

Pinjata
2014-10-23, 06:27 AM
Is the max amount of Protection from Energy I could get to, 120 points? Ok, Empower spell could get it to 180 points. Any other wway to boost this?

Also, thanks for answers.

Squark
2014-10-23, 09:46 AM
Is the max amount of Protection from Energy I could get to, 120 points? Ok, Empower spell could get it to 180 points. Any other wway to boost this?

Also, thanks for answers.

Empower only works on things with variable effects. That being said, Protection from Positive Energy is a different spell that... huh. It's kind of awkward for a magic item, actually, since it depends on caster level checks to stay relevant. You might just want to go with the ring of counterspells.

OldTrees1
2014-10-23, 09:51 AM
Empower only works on things with variable effects. That being said, Protection from Positive Energy is a different spell that... huh. It's kind of awkward for a magic item, actually, since it depends on caster level checks to stay relevant. You might just want to go with the ring of counterspells.

Um, isn't there only 1 positive energy spell that is worth defensing against? Wouldn't Spell Immunity(Heal) cover everything?