PDA

View Full Version : Optimization please help me with the new hybrid class

hoborobot
2014-10-22, 10:07 AM
my gm wants to run reign of winter module and i picked lore shaman thinking, hey access to wizard/sorcerer/shaman spells while all being divine is an awesome idea. the thing is i have absolutly no clue as to what hexes to take what feats to take, the only thing im positive about is my race going to be aasimar for the extra wisdom and cha.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-22, 10:12 AM
Take a look at a handbook for each class, maybe? Here's a pretty darn good witch handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=480.0) (however, it lacks a few of the options added in more recent books); there's a number of Oracle handbooks out there, but haven't looked at them enough to figure out which ones are best. Have a list of Pathfinder guides. (http://zenithgames.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-comprehensive-pathfinder-guides.html)

NightbringerGGZ
2014-10-22, 10:34 AM
In my opinion, Lore Spirit is better to pick up as a Wandering Spirit starting at level 6. What you really want is the Arcane Enlightenment Hex, which is the ability that nets you Wizard spells of your choice. The thing is, if you pick it up as a normal Hex you're only able to change out the spells you know when you level up, and only one at a time. If you pick it up as your Wandering Hex at level 6, then each day when you pick a new Wandering Spirit you reset this ability. This will let you pick a number of new spells each adventuring day. Much more useful.

This lets you pick your primary Spirit (the one you're stuck with) as either a way to shore up a weakness or add some new strengths. Life isn't bad for some extra healing capabilities. Bones has some decent defensive abilities. Waves lets you add prepare your Spirit Magic spells in your regular spell slots, which could be useful when combined with your Wandering Spirit.

As for the regular Hexes, they're mostly the same as Witch Hexes. Review a Witch guide for info on these Hexes.

Alex12
2014-10-23, 11:15 AM
It really depends on what you want to be doing.
In terms of party make-up, you'll be in the party with a unicorn mystic prancer Bard (me) and a human probably fire elemental bloodline Bloodrager (lycantrope (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?78885-lycantrope)).

I've got 18 Int and Bardic Knowledge, so I'll probably be the party encyclopedia, and you probably won't have to focus too hard on the Knowledge aspect of it. That's a good thing, since Lore Shaman is kind of MAD with mental stats..

I'll also note that you can't just prepare any sor/wiz spell. You pick the Lore hex, and that lets you pick a number of spells from the sor/wiz list equal to your Cha and add them to your spell list, and you can then prepare them.

Hex-wise, just given what you've said, you'll probably want to grab Arcane Enlightenment for your first hex- that's the one that gives you access to the other spells. You could also wait on that one until you're higher level and pick up some other hex. Note that you can also choose one (but only one, as far as I can tell) witch hex.

hoborobot
2014-10-23, 05:39 PM
i honestly thought you would stop with the ponies and play arcanist like you said you would. thats why i picked shaman. anyway i decided bones is a better choices for now.

Alex12
2014-10-23, 08:12 PM
i honestly thought you would stop with the ponies and play arcanist like you said you would. thats why i picked shaman. anyway i decided bones is a better choices for now.

Ponies and arcanist are not mutually exclusive (believe me, I was tempted), but given my last character was a sorcerer, I figured I'd give the full casting a break. Besides, you know full well that I've got several character concepts on tap. It was just as likely for me to go Aegis or Gunslinger or Witch or if I wanted to be mean a Blue Cryptic.