PDA

View Full Version : Prestige for a core 3.5 figher?

kroonermanblack
2014-10-22, 10:40 AM
I've been playing in a group for a few months. We're finally going into level 5. I had initially set up my horc fighter as a trip build, but it hasn't really been handy.

Over all, we have a mixed group of low-op characters, and everyone is using strictly core (player hand book, etc.) for character build. Our group has varied wildly in size and composition, we started off at like 9 players. The regulars are, right now, me (fighter), a wizard, a cleric, a rogue, and a ranger.

The wizard and cleric have mostly acted as aux units (sleep! Magic missile! First aid kit!) so far, and I don't get the feeling they're going to be abusing most of the super-high-powered haxs they can do.

The GM gave me permission to basically retool my character a bit, since I've been unimpressed with trip and the spiked chain. I know it's incredibly low-optimization, but I was debating going sword and board vs. just a two handed sword, and any thoughts on that would be appreciated!

But to the meat of the post, can anyone recommend a simple (so, probably not splashing into Tome of Battle) prestige for a fighter using mostly core type rule books? I'd like to keep it pretty simple. He's a brute, 18 strength, half-orc. Probably going to keep intel at at least 10 just to avoid being a complete moron. I'd like to keep it as fighter, and not splash a dozen different classes to gish it up, either. We're up to level 5 or so, but I suspect the GM will let me retool to take pretty much anything within reason.

We are doing the Runelords module, if that tells you our setting.

I feel like I was horribly not-clear here, let me know if this made sense.

OldTrees1
2014-10-22, 10:58 AM
Is Psionics included in Core? It contains the War Mind prestige class which has a nice 5th level(10th character level) ability for Fighters if you can stand the psionics it picks up on the side.

Fighter 4 / Psychic Warrior 1(needs 14 Wis) / Warmind 5
or Fighter 4 / Psychic Warrior 2 / Warmind 5

Another prestige class I have found useful(not in core, included because you said "mostly") is Scarlet Corsair. It tries to work more options into martial combat but in a Fighter way rather than a ToB way.

Fighter 5 / Rogue 1 / Scarlet Corsair 5-7

Telonius
2014-10-22, 10:58 AM
If you're going strictly core-only, there aren't all that many options for you. You're a Half-Orc, so Dwarven Defender is out. Spiked Chain and Tripping don't appeal, so the typical Horizon Tripper build probably won't either. (That might step on the Ranger's toes anyway). The only other Core-only option I'm seeing is Dragon Disciple. It would require you to multiclass to Bard or Sorcerer. The prestige class isn't terrible, if you're intending to be a fighter with a dash of arcane. The strength bonuses make up for the lower BAB, a higher Will save is always welcome for the Big Dumb Fighter types, and it actually gives you a halfway-decent list of class skills (compared to Fighter, anyway).

If your DM considers the Unearthed Arcana available on the SRD to be core, the Half-Orc Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#halfOrcParagon) class might be interesting. It grants Rage, qualifying you for some fairly standard Prestige Classes outside of Core; and the Strength bonus is always nice.

Petrocorus
2014-10-22, 11:09 AM
As previously said, in core-only, the Horizon Tripper is one of the best build possible. It's not Fighter focused, more melee classes focus. Here's the link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?80415-The-Horizon-Tripper-%28Core-Melee-Build%29).

But now, if you're bored with tripping and don't want to multiclass a lot, then the only other solution i see is the über-charger route, but not that easy in core. THF + Power Attack are in core. But Leap Attack and Shock Trooper are out of core, so is Lion Spirit Totem.

Bad Wolf
2014-10-22, 12:05 PM
If you take a level of Bard, you could go Blackguard.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-22, 12:16 PM
Horizon Walker is awesome, even without a lenient ruling of the Shifting planar terrain mastery. If you can spare the feat, great; otherwise, dip 3 levels of Ranger. Pick up the TWF style, I suppose, since you can either do THF + armor spikes or one-handed weapon plus shield bash.

If Psionics is allowed, though: War Mind all the way. That class is awesome, both in fluff and in crunch.

Ivanhoe
2014-10-22, 03:51 PM
Well, kroonermanblack, since you said you wish to keep it simple and do not like tripping much, the horizon tripper build is apparantly not really good for you (plus, it comes online really at only a much higher level than your current level 5, at level 11 iirc). So that is out.
I'd second dragon disciple as well, but unfortunately it requires you to pick up a charisma-based casting class, and being a half-orc, you may not have such a high charisma bonus to start with.

So what to do if you want to keep it simple within a Runelords setting and think plain fighter is too boring?

I'd say ask your DM to retool the character a bit towards a Rogue 1/barbarian 1/fighter 3 kind of Conan-like multiclass character. You should be fine this way, in particular with the optimization level of your group (just pick the remaining rogue skills that the full rogue of the group does not have, like forgery).
A core prestige class is not really needed.

OK, if you like to be evil alignment, you could also go for assassin (the arcane casting style core prc may not really be fitting for you, but whatever), or blackguard. Both would need 1 level of rogue for entry at level 6.

Have fun!