PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Compilation of the good stuff on Advanced Class Origins

Secret Wizard
2014-10-22, 04:10 PM
Hey, I don't play casters so I will avoid commenting on those classes or their spells. Someone else can get on it.

So, without further ado:

Bloodragers
Kyton bloodline is AWESOME. However, it seems more CHA heavy than other bloodlines. Magical Knack seems like a must for this BL. Still, between the combination of high AC, high Strength and Persuasive Goad, it looks like it would make for some amazing tanks. I'd combine it with Steelblood for an uber tank. The lost mobility is recovered later.
Black Blood bloodline is ohkay, with its hallmark being the extra reach. Perhaps, that could be combined with Kyton for a Cross-blooded Rager, and become a reach-based tank to counter the lack of good mobility early on. This requires heavy Will-save patching though.

Brawler
There's one crappy archetype and then there's the Winding Path Renegade. This latter archetype seems tricky to use, but very flexible.
The Metal path seems great for an Exemplar, since you will be using Close Weapons a lot... but it seems AMAZING for the Shield Champion. Get rid of that useless AC bonus, get a ton of movement speed and better items.
The Wind Path is alright, also very good for the Shield Champion and the Exemplar (if the Exemplar goes thrown weapon style).
I'd argue Flame Path is amazing for every other Brawler. You get fast movement, some grapple damage (situational, sadly), and TROLL POOL.
The best thing about this archetype is the ability to gain Improved Evasion on the fly though. Seems worth it to me, since it also allows for tricks with Martial Flexibility.
I'm not gonna say it's a must since the bonus feats and the AC might be nice to have, but I'm gonna say the archetype is overall an upgrade and it really makes you want to take Master of Many Styles so you stack the Faster Movement.

Investigator
Leipstadt Investigator archetype seems very good for combat focused Investigators, although it seems to be sort of a one-trick pony.
The real winner here is DOMINO STRIKE. That's a Talent that allows you to pass on Studied Combat from target to target whenever you use Studied Strike, which means you can have a HUGE uptime on it. THIS is a must for combat focused Sherlocks.

Skald
War Drummer archetype is awesome simply because it replaces Scribe Scroll (ew) for Weapon Training and Improved Critical and Quick Draw.
I'd say the archetype is a must, unless you really want to go skill monkey.
Dragon Skald is an oh-kay archetype for skill monkeys.

Slayer
Nothing AWESOME. Sczarni Executioner is nice for Assassinate based builds, but you are gonna need a high ass Intelligence score to assassinate dudes, and possibly the use of Headman's Blade and Ability Focus and stuff. Great mage killer though.

Swashbuckler
Oh boy. OH BOY.
First, let's start with the Shackles Corsair archetype. It's nice. Very good for Shatter Defenses builds, it has some great utility. I'd say it's an even trade though, so not a strict upgrade and much more specialized. But it seems very good for Intimidate builds anyhow.

THEN THERE'S THE WHIRLING DERVISH.
Free dex-to-damage is nice although it comes a bit too late (4th level), but it also gets a free Whirlwind pounce, which is amazing! It solves your mobility issues right away, making it unnecessary to take Spring Attack or anything.

Warpriest
Mantis Zealot is the winner here, though it makes for specialized builds. The fact that you get Sneak Attack and you can get Deadly Stroke makes for a really nice build around Shatter Defenses, but you probably can't afford the points on CHA or STR (for Intimidating Prowess)... but you make for a nice Rogue-like build. Not entirely sold on this but it seems to have potential.

Feats and stuff
Besides Fencing Grace, the only thing that called my attention is the Mad Magic feat, that allows Bloodragers to use any spell they get from other classes while raging.

NightbringerGGZ
2014-10-23, 03:20 PM
There's a couple useful looking spells. Investigators get Defensive Grace as a 5th level extract. This lasts 1/round per level and lets you roll a free inspiration die each round, adding the result as a dodge bonus to AC. It also makes you immune to precision damage and you can expend the buff to negate a confirmed crit.

Wrathful Weapon isn't too shabby either. A 4th level spell that adds Anarchic, Axiomatic, Holy or Unholy (your choice) to your weapon for 1 Min / level with a doubled duration if cast by a Warpriest.

Spore
2014-10-23, 04:12 PM
Divine Protection - making Paladin dips obsolete since 2014.

grarrrg
2014-10-23, 07:59 PM
Divine Protection - making Paladin dips obsolete since 2014.

*pssst, that's from Advanced Class Guide, this post is about Advanced Class Origins (http://paizo.com/products/btpy99k8/discuss?Pathfinder-Player-Companion-Advanced-Class-Origins)*

Raven777
2014-10-24, 11:13 PM
There's an Arcanist archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/arcanist/archetypes/paizo---arcanist-archetypes/twilight-sage-arcanist-archetype) that allows her to refill her Arcane Reservoir by reaping the souls of the helpless rather than eating her own spells. She also gets an ability at 11th level to snuff any unconscious creature within 300 feet to Breath of Life (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/breath-of-life) an ally she touches. Both these things are insane.

facelessminion
2014-11-17, 02:40 AM
I haven't been able to get ahold of this yet... were there any particularly useful traits?

deuxhero
2014-11-17, 03:22 AM
Twilight Sage's requiring 2HD to work AND requiring hit die of at least half the arcanist's level to gain any benifit reaks of poor editing.

Interestingly Twilight Sage is one of the few (I think Con drain is the only other option), to actually kill the Tarrasque in Pathfinder, as the Tarrasque's regeneration from death only triggers if it failed a save while Consume Life doesn't give a save.