PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder CR for a Lich Wizard without his spellbook

Yomega
2014-10-22, 05:37 PM
I swear he is looking for it :)

Long story short I want to decide his CR in case the players get all murder hobo on the quest giver (they wont know its a Lich right away)

And altho I know tactics dont realy equate to CR a wizard without his spellbook is a pretty big nerf.

I get he could make a new one but for _______ he hassnt at this point but he will take the feat to prepair spells from memory twice (nondetection and _____ offensive spell)

Squark
2014-10-22, 05:52 PM
Well, has he taken spell mastery? If not, he's probably cast most of the spells he had prepared if it's been a while, leaving him with nothing but a ton of Read Magics to prepare. If he did take it once or twice, then his options expand.

Also, keep in mind it's a DC 15+spell level Spellcraft check to prepare a spell from another wizard's spellbook, so stealing a spellbook would be a very reasonable option.

malonkey1
2014-10-22, 06:04 PM
That depends on if he's prepared his spells for the day yet. If so, for about 1 or 2 encounters it'd be the same. Once he runs out of spells, he's basically a commoner.

Of course, if he were a Sorcerer, Cleric, Favored Soul, Dread Necromancer, or even a Warlock, he wouldn't have this issue.

Novawurmson
2014-10-23, 01:50 AM
With no spells, CR as a commoner. Assuming this works the way it does in PF:

Levels (X)Commoner (-2)+2 (Lich)=X

So its CR will be about equal to its levels of wizard (its lich status and its "commoner" status effectively cancel each other out).

Zanos
2014-10-23, 02:06 AM
Keep in mind that a Lich without spells still has a SoD touch attack, DR 15/B&M, +5 NA, and undead immunities. It could still screw people up if they aren't immune to paralysis.