PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 question about Psionics and Dorjes

ShadowfireOmega
2014-10-22, 06:15 PM
So I usually don't use Psionics, but when I was asked for this last game I started, I allowed it. Now I am confused about Dorjes and certain powers, such as Crystal Shard. Crystal Shard says you can spend a PP to add 1d6 more damage, and you can do so with no limit. If one was to put this power into a Dorje, would you be able to expend all 50 charges at once? My logic says not, because what horror would a 50d6 spell be for 750gp... I just would like some clarification on this matter.

Troacctid
2014-10-22, 06:25 PM
Crystal Shard says you can spend a PP to add 1d6 more damage, and you can do so with no limit.

This is incorrect. You cannot spend more power points than your manifester level on any single power. Also, dorjes are automatically augmented to the maximum possible based on the manifester level they were created with, so it would take no additional charges, although the wand would be more expensive since its price is based on the manifester level.

KillianHawkeye
2014-10-22, 06:31 PM
Also, dorje charges are not equivalent to points spent on augmentations.

A dorje that stores an augmentable power is normally created at minimum manifester level and is thus not augmentable. It can be created at a higher ML (for an appropriately higher cost), in which case the power is automatically augmented to the limits of the higher manifester level.

At no point can you spend multiple charges from the dorje to gain an increased effect without some kind of feat or other ability that lets you do so.

ShadowfireOmega
2014-10-23, 12:35 PM
This is incorrect. You cannot spend more power points than your manifester level on any single power.

This is good to know, but I wish the spells said something like "upto 1d6 extra damage, max your ML" or something similar.

Feint's End
2014-10-23, 01:07 PM
This is good to know, but I wish the spells said something like "upto 1d6 extra damage, max your ML" or something similar.

First of they are not spells but powers and secondly this is a base rule of psionics. Like spells scaling with casterlevel.

On a slightly related note ... A dorje which shoots 50d6 crystal shards would cost 37500 gold. (Up to 50 times though).

Troacctid
2014-10-23, 01:10 PM
No, a dorje can't hold a power with a manifester level more than 5 levels above the minimum, so you simply can't make one that deals more than 6d6.