PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Can someone explain 3.5/3e Masterwork Item Crafting to me?

atemu1234
2014-10-22, 06:33 PM
I'm having a little bit of trouble wrapping my head around masterwork items, what you add the masterwork bonus to, etc... Help, please...

Troacctid
2014-10-22, 06:41 PM
To make a masterwork item, you essentially craft two items: the original item, at whatever DC and price it normally is, and the masterwork component, at a DC of 20. It takes additional time as appropriate.

Masterwork armor is the same as normal armor, but with a lower armor check penalty. Masterwork weapons are the same as normal weapons, but with an additional +1 to attack rolls with them. Masterwork tools confer a +2 circumstance bonus on any check that involves their use--so a masterwork chisel would give you a +2 circumstance bonus to Craft (Gemcutting) checks when using it to cut a gem, for example. Masterwork musical instruments can also enhance bardic music, as described in Complete Adventurer.

atemu1234
2014-10-22, 07:12 PM
To make a masterwork item, you essentially craft two items: the original item, at whatever DC and price it normally is, and the masterwork component, at a DC of 20. It takes additional time as appropriate.

Masterwork armor is the same as normal armor, but with a lower armor check penalty. Masterwork weapons are the same as normal weapons, but with an additional +1 to attack rolls with them. Masterwork tools confer a +2 circumstance bonus on any check that involves their use--so a masterwork chisel would give you a +2 circumstance bonus to Craft (Gemcutting) checks when using it to cut a gem, for example. Masterwork musical instruments can also enhance bardic music, as described in Complete Adventurer.

But what about masterwork weapons and armor with a masterwork of +2? +3? +4?

Grinner
2014-10-22, 07:17 PM
But what about masterwork weapons and armor with a masterwork of +2? +3? +4?

Those are enchantments. That's a different thing. Mind you, you can only enchant masterwork weapons and armor, but it's a separate process.

Also, an item has to be made as a masterwork. You can't add it on later.

atemu1234
2014-10-22, 07:49 PM
Thank you for clarifying that. Turns out I've been doing it wrong for a while now. Mods can lock this thread, I got my answer.

RoboEmperor
2014-10-22, 11:31 PM
Thank you for clarifying that. Turns out I've been doing it wrong for a while now. Mods can lock this thread, I got my answer.

Note that the enhancement bonus and masterwork do NOT stack.
masterwork item and a +5 enhancement is only a +5 weapon.
masterwork item and a +1 enhancement is still only +1.

atemu1234
2014-10-23, 06:59 AM
Note that the enhancement bonus and masterwork do NOT stack.
masterwork item and a +5 enhancement is only a +5 weapon.
masterwork item and a +1 enhancement is still only +1.

Then in this case why do bonuses on the table in the dungeon master's guide go all the way to +10?

Sir Chuckles
2014-10-23, 07:08 AM
Then in this case why do bonuses on the table in the dungeon master's guide go all the way to +10?

Masterwork never goes above a +1 enhancement bonus to attack rolls. The +1-+10 is under magic weapons. Masterwork is a nonmagical bonus from making the piece of equipment really well. A +1 Weapon is a masterwork weapon because you cannot begin enchanting weapons and armor without them first being masterwork. This is why the price of, say, a +1 Longsword is 2,000 (+1 weapon) + 300 (masterwork) + 15 (The cost of a longsword). As it is a +1 weapon, it has a +1 enhancement bonus to both damage rolls and attack rolls, and a +1 enhancement to attack rolls from Masterwork, but...

Due to same-type bonus rules, the +1 enhancement from the weapon does not stack with the +1 enhancement from the Masterwork properties, but the +1 from enchanting the weapon does give it a +1 to damage on top of the to-hit bonus. Masterwork on armors and shields simply lowers the Armor Check Penalty, and adding +1 or higher is what would increase it's AC bonus.

It goes to +10 in the DMG (and SRD) because that is the cost of applying magic to the weapon or armor.

RoboEmperor
2014-10-23, 07:12 AM

If you look at the magic items stuff, you can have only up to +5 magic weapon, but up to +10 magical properties. So for example, you have a flaming burst shocking burst freezing burst speed anarchic weapon, that will strike as a +1 weapon despite having a +10 enhancement worth of magic weapons. Generally it is not a good idea to give your weapon any +5 weapon enhancements because that is accomplished by casting a Greater Magic Weapon spell, which lasts 1hour per caster level.