PDA

View Full Version : BoVD's Armor Traps: Chance for Abuse?

Kevingway
2014-10-22, 08:27 PM
I see so much potential in the armor traps of Book of Vile Darkness; however, I'm stumped by how the heck to make them. Obviously, they follow 3.0's rules for creating traps, which were "assume it's CR * 1000," unless they changed something later from the 3.0 DMG. In other words, 3.0's trap rules were made up on the spot.

I want to somehow get multiple repeating traps of beneficial effects in my character's armor, as it would satisfy both the cool factor (wearing armor that stabs you in multiple places and coming out like a champ) and the practical factor, being a cheaper way of making a magic item (or nonmagical if done correctly) without making a magic item.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I'm realizing that BoVD isn't necessary to make armor traps; you can just use a regular trap on your own armor for just the cost of a trap and whatever kind of armor you want separately. Therefore, I'm going to try to find every beneficial first-level spell that can be put into potion form and make a trap out of it; all traps would cost the same. I think the only way to apply these "potion traps" is through a needle, in order to weaponize it/apply it to a weapon.

SinsI
2014-10-22, 10:41 PM
being a cheaper way of making a magic item (or nonmagical if done correctly) without making a magic item.

Any thoughts?
That's problematic from the balance and gameplay POV.

bekeleven
2014-10-23, 01:53 AM
I recall Tippy building armor with a jockstrap of mage's lubrucation, giving him infinite spell slots of all spells under 6th level.

Jeff the Green
2014-10-23, 02:58 AM
I recall Tippy building armor with a jockstrap of mage's lubrucation, giving him infinite spell slots of all spells under 6th level.

Lucubration. "Lubrucation" would be pronounced like another word that, while amusing in context, is probably not what you meant.

Kevingway
2014-10-23, 11:14 AM
The cheapest abuse I can find for known potions is in the form of a Cure Light Wounds trap embedded in armor. You can afford these pretty easily, and to make it fun, a needle pokes you for 1 damage no avoidance and heals you for 1d8+1. Still working out the exact price, but it's easily to be a CR 1 or 2 from the potion effect and cheap enough to have many of, ensuring you never drop below max health unless in an anti-magic field.

Of course, this is a repeating trap that you've multiplied the price of the alchemical item of by 20 to make it infinite.

Psyren
2014-10-23, 11:40 AM
I see so much potential in the armor traps of Book of Vile Darkness; however, I'm stumped by how the heck to make them. Obviously, they follow 3.0's rules for creating traps, which were "assume it's CR * 1000," unless they changed something later from the 3.0 DMG. In other words, 3.0's trap rules were made up on the spot.

Given that none of the armor traps in the book cost more than 1000 but a couple have pretty high DCs, I doubt this is the formula.

Lucubration. "Lubrucation" would be pronounced like another word that, while amusing in context, is probably not what you meant.

I got a chuckle out of it :smallbiggrin:

Seerow
2014-10-23, 11:54 AM

Mage's Lucubration Lubricates your brain.

squiggit
2014-10-23, 12:00 PM

... I've been playing D&D for ten years and I've always read the spell as "Lubrication".

Wow.

Rubik
2014-10-23, 12:41 PM
If you use Sanctum Spell'd spells (cast outside your sanctum) to turn a spell into a trap, you can extend your 1st level spells restriction to 2nd level ones. And if you use one of the metamagic cost reduction feats that can reduce the cost below 0 (such as Forceful Spell, which is the only one available at level 1), you can extend that to 3rd level spells.

And all for the cost of a 1st level spell trap.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-23, 12:56 PM

But then, Mage's Lubrication is a 1st-level spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/grease.htm), so it would make for a cheaper trap.

Rubik
2014-10-23, 12:58 PM
But then, Mage's Lubrication is a 1st-level spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/grease.htm), so it would make for a cheaper trap.Now we just need to convert it to a slightly smaller area and a much longer duration...

Kevingway
2014-10-23, 01:15 PM
Armor Trap of Grease, grease falls through cracks in the armor every other round due to onset delay and covers a 10 ft. square essentially wherever the character moves. Still working on the exact method of delivery.

I guess a Potion of Grease couldn't exist?

Rubik
2014-10-23, 01:32 PM
Armor Trap of Grease, grease falls through cracks in the armor every other round due to onset delay and covers a 10 ft. square essentially wherever the character moves. Still working on the exact method of delivery.

I guess a Potion of Grease couldn't exist?Grease can affect individual objects. There's nothing preventing a potion an oil or armor-trap of the spell, though it would affect the armor or any surface the armor touches, rather than the one wearing it.

There's little real functional difference in affecting the armor or the one wearing it, JSYK. You just have to be wearing the armor first.

And if you can't think of how to use Grease during "private time," maybe you could read up on various prophylactics.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-23, 01:40 PM
Now we just need to convert it to a slightly smaller area and a much longer duration...

"Target or Area: One object or a 10-ft. square"

:wink:

Rubik
2014-10-23, 01:55 PM
"Target or Area: One object or a 10-ft. square"

:wink:Well, that works with some finagling.

Monks enjoy the benefits, for sure, especially with partially charged wands.

I prefer my wand fully charged, though.