PDA

View Full Version : [Week 9] Which is the Playground's favorite monster?! - Infinite Layers? Go crazy!

Yael
2014-10-22, 09:31 PM
Here is the point: We all put here our favorite creature/monster, and then at the end of each day "this" post will be updated with a table containing which creature has been selected and how many people do love it. At the end of the week we will see which monster is your favorite of the selected type or subtype. Every type and subtype will be randomly selected (by me, or at the forum dice, taking suggestions from you, fellow playgrounders,) or it could be in order, we'll see if this gets crowded enough. Remember that this isn't a competition, it is just a little game, so don't try to convince others to change their choices as they have their favorite monsters as you have yours. I'm not planning to show every nickname, so I want to order it from books/sources where they are found, also I will make a top 5 if we reach enough votes.

This week type/subtype is:

Tanar'ri Subtype!
http://www.aerieofruin.com/11836succubus_big.jpg

Rulings: Yeah, demons! This week we go with the Abyss, targeting the tanar'ri subtype. Any creature with the Tanar'ri subtype counts as part of this week. From now on, any Pathfinder sourcebook is allowed as part of this weekly game, thought their source must be provided to me (exact page/link and source name).

My Vote: I'll go with the Succubus, yes, cliche, maybe, but they are certainly a good challenge and their utility is near infinite (especially with high level diplomats). What else? A Balor might come up handy, YOU SHALL NOT PASS! Reminds me of Balors everytime I see the movie haha. Aaaaaaand, the Marilith, I love the Marilith, their fluff is just nice, their combat capabilities are above decent, and their presence just frightens anyone.

Creature
Creature Type [Subtype]
Source

Votes

Demon, Balor
Outsider [Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Tanar'ri]
Monster Manual I, p040

Demon, Bebilith
Monster Manual I, p042

Demon, Dretch
Monster Manual I, p042

Demon, Klurichir
Fiend Folio, p048

Demon, Lilitu
Fiendish Codex I - Hordes of the Abyss, p043

Demon, Marilith
Monster Manual I, p044

Demon, Myrmyxicus
Fiend Folio, p052

Demon, Succubus
Monster Manual I, p047

Fiend of Possession, D'keb: Alkilith
Fiend Folio Web Enhancement, p009

Fraz-Urb'luu, Prince of Deception
Fiendish Codex I - Hordes of the Abyss, p063

Graz'zt, the Dark Prince
Fiendish Codex I - Hordes of the Abyss, p065

Jubilex, the Faceless Lord
Fiendish Codex I - Hordes of the Abyss, p066

Orcus, Prince of the Undead
Fiendish Codex I - Hordes of the Abyss, p073

Zuggtmoy, Lady of Fungi
Fiendish Codex I - Hordes of the Abyss, p079

The date to finish the count will be Wednesday, October 29th; from that point on, no vote will be added to the popularity table, but feel free to keep commenting your favorites.

The sources you can use to pick your favorite are on the list below, also if you have more than one favorite, don't hesitate to show it to us! No creature whose entry wasn't originally of the selected type is allowed (for example: if the week's monster type is: Dragon, no Dragonwrought Kobold is available, just creatures with the Dragon type as their base creature are allowed, in this case; DW Kobold got it fom a feat.) At the same time, no creatures that obtained their subtype are allowed to be chosen (for example, Dragonblood subtype week, no dragonborn human is allowed, because human wasn't originally intended to have dragonblood subtype, but its subtype is "dragonblood" because of the Dragonborn template; however Silverbrow human is allowed because its original subtype IS dragonblood.) Also, when a creature is based on a template (such as the Lich, the Vampire, or the Zombie) the template is allowed to be selected as your vote; however, you cannot specify a creature with its own entry adding an alien template. TL;DR: You can select the Skeleton Creature as your favorite Undead, but not a T-Rex Skeleton (using two creatures.)

• Any 3.0 Edition sourcebook.
• Any 3.5 Edition corebook & sourcebook.
• Any Dragon Magazine (add issue number.)
• DragonLance Campaign.
• Eberron Campaign.
• Forgotten Realms Campaign.
• Greyhawk Campaign.
• Kingdoms of Kalmar Campaign.
• Legend of the Five Rings Campaign.
• Pathfinder material allowed (add source and page, or link.)
• No homebrewed material.
• Official online material allowed (include your link.)
• Ravenloft Campaign.
• SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm) Material allowed.
• World of Warcraft RPG Edition.

Week
Type/Subtype

Most voted!

[Week 1] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?359801-Week-1-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster&p=17712990#post17712990)
Aberration Type

Aboleth.

[Week 2] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?361173-Week-2-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster-Dungeons-and-_______&p=17748761#post17748761)
Dragon Type

Pseudodragon.

[Week 3] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?362428-Week-3-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster-Obey-the-Law(ful)!&p=17787914#post17787914)
Lawful Subtype.

Inevitable, Marut.

[Week 4] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?363934-Week-4-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster-Vote-from-the-grave&p=17834771#post17834771)
Undead Type.

Lich.

[Week 5] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?364977-Week-5-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster-!-Mom!-I-want-some-Jell-o!&p=17874220#post17874220)
Ooze Type.

Living Spell.

[Week 6] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?366161-Week-6-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster-!-Rock-solid!&p=17913634#post17913634)
Earth Subtype.

Earth Elemental.

[Week 7] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?370897-Week-7-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster-!-Thinking-outside-the-box&p=18079460#post18079460)
Outsider Type.

Asmodeus, Lord of the Ninth

[Week 8] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?372190-Week-8-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster-!-Choose-your-form-already!&p=18117568#post18117568)
Shapechanger Subtype.

Changeling

Honest Tiefling
2014-10-22, 09:33 PM
Another vote for the Marilith. Maybe I just have a thing for snake ladies, but I also like the multiple arms. Might be impractical, but something about it just says cool to me.

Does a lilutu count as a succubus? Not 100% sure on that.

Yael
2014-10-22, 09:35 PM
Another vote for the Marilith. Maybe I just have a thing for snake ladies, but I also like the multiple arms. Might be impractical, but something about it just says cool to me.

Does a lilutu count as a succubus? Not 100% sure on that.

They are advanced succubus, aren't they?

EDIT: In case you meat the Lilitu from Fiendish Codex, no. They are "another kind" of succubus with tentacles (that won't end up being a good thing.)

Forrestfire
2014-10-22, 10:04 PM
Only the Tanar'ri? That's a shame. For Tanar'ri, I think that my favorites are probably Orcus or Fraz-Urb'luu. Both are really neat demon princes, with fun backstories.

If we're open to all demons, then Pale Night, then Dagon. Obyriths are really cool.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-10-22, 11:54 PM
Ah, demons... the evil outsiders that are supposed to be wild and uncontrollable which is what makes them less formidable as an army despite their massive numbers and blatant overpowered baseline (compared to devils). And yet...you can't swing a cat w/o hitting a higher level demon that's described as being a tactician or strategist that organizes their forces. When I use devils, I stat buff them a bit to make them a challenge, when I use demons I just run them as written and the party still has more trouble dealing with them, true story.

But yeah. Succubus and its variants, like Lilith, are definitely the most interesting variety to me, too. They can be used in all sorts of "softer" approaches like spying and infiltration, but still are formidable if found out and forced to battle. On the flip side, if they optimize their grappling, their level drain ability can be quite the weapon even in direct combat vs. unwilling foes. Most of the other demons exist just to be thrown at the party directly.

The Viscount
2014-10-23, 11:52 AM
My favorite is the one and only Faceless Lord, Juiblex, aka Jubilex, aka Jubiblex.

Venger
2014-10-23, 11:57 AM
My favorite is the one and only Faceless Lord, Juiblex, aka Jubilex, aka Jubiblex.

Me too. He explicitly doesn't care and doesn't even really notice if you worship him and has basically no real goals or motivations. Plus he took over layer 222 while Zuggtmoy was in the slam after being imprisoned in her own dungeon and that's hilarious. Juiblex: worship him. or not. it doesn't matter, he'll still melt your face off.

Flutterbrave
2014-10-23, 12:08 PM
Me too. He explicitly doesn't care and doesn't even really notice if you worship him and has basically no real goals or motivations. Plus he took over layer 222 while Zuggtmoy was in the slam after being imprisoned in her own dungeon and that's hilarious. Juiblex: worship him. or not. it doesn't matter, he'll still melt your face off.

Jubilex is literally Sithrak. {Link scrubbed}

This explains why I love him so much.

EDIT: Speaking of Jubilex, My vote goes to the Alkilith from Fiend Folio. It's like if acid was malevolent. And could cast spells. And could grow to the size of a lake.

Yael
2014-10-23, 06:29 PM
Jubilex is literally Sithrak. {Scrub the original, scrub the quote}

This explains why I love him so much.

EDIT: Speaking of Jubilex, My vote goes to the Alkilith from Fiend Folio. It's like if acid was malevolent. And could cast spells. And could grow to the size of a lake.

I checked on them, and in their statblock the types (chaotic, evil, extraplanar) were there, but it seems to be missing something... Something... Important? They are cappablee of summoning Tanar'ri but don't have the subtype lol

Venger
2014-10-23, 06:36 PM
I checked on them, and in their statblock the types (chaotic, evil, extraplanar) were there, but it seems to be missing something... Something... Important? They are cappablee of summoning Tanar'ri but don't have the subtype lol

Alkalith has (tanar'ri) in a parenthetical by his name like all the tanar'ri in fiend folio, is in the tanar'ri section, has "tanar'ri traits" in his SQs, and is called out as a tanar'ri in FC1. He's a tanar'ri. none of them have the subtype in their statblock due to 3.0 page layout.

Yael
2014-10-23, 06:41 PM
Alkalith has (tanar'ri) in a parenthetical by his name, is in the tanar'ri section, has "tanar'ri traits" in his SQs, and is called out as a tanar'ri in FC1. He's a tanar'ri

But... The subtype :/

Added him.

Blue will mean sarcasm this post.

Threadnaught
2014-10-23, 06:50 PM
Bebilith, just looking at that thing gives me chills.

A Tad Insane
2014-10-23, 08:04 PM
Does Porcus count? If not, regular Orcus

Yael
2014-10-23, 09:15 PM
I've always thought of Orcus as THE demon. You know, stereotypes.

http://www.dungeonmastering.com/custom-design/orcus.jpg

He's like: I'M OP! I'M OP! I'M OP!

Xaktsaroth
2014-10-23, 09:33 PM
Vote for Zuggtmoy, Lady of Fungi, purely based on the awesome of the Thrall of Zuggtmoy PrC.

The Viscount
2014-10-23, 09:34 PM

I really love that its gaseous form turns it into the Cloudkill spell. It's deadly in all forms.

Venger
2014-10-23, 09:52 PM
Vote for Zuggtmoy, Lady of Fungi, purely based on the awesome of the Thrall of Zuggtmoy PrC.

what on oerth does that do? I don't have that issue of dungeon.

Werephilosopher
2014-10-23, 10:16 PM
Gonna go with mariliths on this one.

Honest Tiefling
2014-10-23, 10:19 PM
I take it that it is impossible to have a favorite Demon Lord AND a favorite Demon Race. Seems like the races are taking a backseat to the Demon Lords.

Forrestfire
2014-10-23, 10:22 PM
what on oerth does that do? I don't have that issue of dungeon.

(Dragon, actually).

The Thrall of Zuggtmoy makes you host to various fungi and spores, gives you a small pool of free metamagic when casting off a list of fungus-related spells, covers any undead you make with fungi that make them stronger, lets you rot corpses for sustenance, and eventually turns you into a plant demon.

Hurnn
2014-10-24, 01:57 AM
Graz'zt demon lord, BOVD

Eldan
2014-10-24, 02:08 AM
Another vote for Orcus, the demoniest demon who ever demoned. Plus Modron March/Dead Gods was awesome.

Jeff the Green
2014-10-24, 03:20 AM
I'm a fan of lilitus. They're creepy as Hell Abyss.

Crake
2014-10-24, 04:27 AM
I'll add another vote in for succubi, simply because they're such a good chassis for really evil and cruel villains, and also the most lovable temptress NPC sidekicks

Xaktsaroth
2014-10-24, 08:48 AM
(Dragon, actually).

The Thrall of Zuggtmoy makes you host to various fungi and spores, gives you a small pool of free metamagic when casting off a list of fungus-related spells, covers any undead you make with fungi that make them stronger, lets you rot corpses for sustenance, and eventually turns you into a plant demon.

With 9/10 spellcasting progression, if I remember correctly.

It's a fantastic example of great flavour and crunch.

TheGeckoKing
2014-10-24, 09:35 AM
If I had to pick, then my favorite demon would have to be the Klurichir. They give Balors nightmares.

Oudyn
2014-10-24, 09:44 AM
Tempted to say Demogorgon, Prince of Demons! But nah, My favorite is Orcus.

ThisIsZen
2014-10-24, 11:40 AM
Chock me up as a vote for Mariliths, even if I made them Devils in my setting. They're awesome.

Cruiser1
2014-10-24, 06:29 PM
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111006030927/forgottenrealms/images/6/61/Myrmyxicus%2C_Wastrilith%2C_Skuloyn.jpg
I vote for the Myrmyxicus (Field Folio page 52), one of the strangest named/looking creatures anywhere. It's CR 21, so tougher than a Balor. Also, it's tail attack causes you to "permanently lose" Charisma (i.e. not just Charisma damage or drain), which arguably can't be reversed in any manner, and so this creature strikes fear into the hearts of powergamers everywhere! :smallwink:

Calimehter
2014-10-24, 07:36 PM
One vote for the humble Dretch. The poor overlooked grease that keeps the engine of the Abyss going. Power to the proletariat!

Yael
2014-10-25, 01:27 AM
One vote for the humble Dretch. The poor overlooked grease that keeps the engine of the Abyss going. Power to the proletariat!

Amen, bro.