PDA

View Full Version : drow lullaby

Ettina
2014-10-22, 09:52 PM
What might a drow mother sing to her baby to lull him/her to sleep?

Red Fel
2014-10-22, 10:00 PM
Hush little drowling, please don't cry;
I'm going to sing you a lullaby.

A big scary Illithid is coming for you,
To devour your brains like chunky beef stew (http://youtu.be/vstanSpyCNU?t=4m48s).

... Drow are jerks.

Honest Tiefling
2014-10-22, 10:03 PM
If the baby can't figure out this sleep thing, maybe its time to make a new one and throw the old one onto the ol' altar. What do you keep the male drow around for anyway? Foot rubs?

The Oni
2014-10-22, 11:52 PM
Yeah, I can't imagine an overwhelmingly CE society being real big on childcare.

Honest Tiefling
2014-10-23, 12:03 AM
...Wait a minute, this is a trick question! Why would a mother waste time on child rearing? Undead or demonic familiars do the job just fine!

BWR
2014-10-23, 03:41 AM
"Shut up, ya little brat!"

Miscast_Mage
2014-10-23, 04:20 AM
I can picture the mother manipulating the child from birth; something like Mordreds Lullaby (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny7NZPfl0l4) would be appropriate.

SiuiS
2014-10-23, 04:27 AM
Yeah, I can't imagine an overwhelmingly CE society being real big on childcare.

Are you kidding? Drow society is a bunch of street gangs. Street gangs thrive on "family first", up to and including the pathos of an obviously idiot family member ruining it for everyone until he is tragically offed, or lasting blood feuds because you may not have liked aunt Wilma, but damned if she wasn't kin and ain't no one shootin' my kin but me!

I can picture the mother manipulating the child from birth; something like Mordreds Lullaby (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny7NZPfl0l4) would be appropriate.

Beat me to it.

There's also, if you'll forgive the pony, the song for the children of the night (http://youtu.be/jW5n3k2VgZE) animatic.

"Hush now dear children, I'll show you the way
Through all the pain and the sorrow
Come now dear children, the world is this way
Murder and beauty and pas~sion"

TheFamilarRaven
2014-10-23, 09:44 AM
...Wait a minute, this is a trick question! Why would a mother waste time on child rearing? Undead or demonic familiars do the job just fine!

No, it's a trick question cause elves don't sleep.

So really all you need to do is put them in a trance, so just dangle a gold watch in front of them and say "You are getting sleeeeeepy." - repeat.

dysprosium
2014-10-23, 10:09 AM

That is correct.

If they sleep in your campaign though an appropriate lullaby might be as simple as:

SMACK!
Leave Mommy Dearest be or you will be the next sacrifice to the Spider Queen.

LibraryOgre
2014-10-23, 10:41 AM
Why do you think they developed such an effective sleep poison?

Lord Torath
2014-10-23, 01:21 PM
Why do you think they developed such an effective sleep poison?*Cackle!* That's perfect!

Xelbiuj
2014-10-23, 01:34 PM
Shut up baby or you might die
Mother'll give you a reason to cry
If moaning doesn't stop
Goblins will use your corpse for their slop
When demons harvest your bones from the ditch
You'll be apart of the next dracolich.

SiuiS
2014-10-23, 01:46 PM

So really all you need to do is put them in a trance, so just dangle a gold watch in front of them and say "You are getting sleeeeeepy." - repeat.

It may have changed in later editions, but drow were called out as specifically too unfocused to benefit from elven meditation. They specifically did sleep – and even if they were able to meditate that is a learned behavior and not inherent. Drow infants would indeed sleep.

hamishspence
2014-10-23, 01:49 PM
In the novels, it seems to be a mixture. Some very old drow do enter "reverie" but most younger ones sleep. Perhaps the trick of entering reverie is in the process of being forgotten?

EDIT: from the FR wiki:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Drow

Like all elves, drow require no sleep but instead enter a meditative trance throughout which they retain full awareness of their surroundings. This state is half-again more efficient than the way in which most races gain rest. Recently it was shown that more and more drow are actually sleeping because they can not find the peace in themselves to enter reverie.

SiuiS
2014-10-23, 02:53 PM
In the novels, it seems to be a mixture. Some very old drow do enter "reverie" but most younger ones sleep. Perhaps the trick of entering reverie is in the process of being forgotten?

EDIT: from the FR wiki:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Drow

But when is that wiki? Does it include the homogenization from 4e? You'll find similar issues with dark sun; difficult to find a wiki that doesn't take all lore period together.

Agrippa
2014-10-23, 03:48 PM
If Lawful Evil can best be summed up with WWTLD, or What Would Tywin Lannister, I'd say when thinking about drow society you should remember WWCLD or WWPBD. In other words What Would Cersi Lannister Do or What Would Petyr Baelish Do. Then think of what sort of lullabies the drow have.

Sith_Happens
2014-10-23, 07:01 PM
Safe money's on this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-Eij9HjEEo) (warning, carpet F-bombing).:smallcool:

TheThan
2014-10-23, 07:24 PM
Are you kidding? Drow society is a bunch of street gangs. Street gangs thrive on "family first", up to and including the pathos of an obviously idiot family member ruining it for everyone until he is tragically offed, or lasting blood feuds because you may not have liked aunt Wilma, but damned if she wasn't kin and ain't no one shootin' my kin but me!

I figured it was more Italian mafia rather than street gang (maybe feuding families). But the point is still there and quite valid.
Someone also beat me to the “elves don’t sleep” trick question.

Slipperychicken
2014-10-23, 08:23 PM
What might a drow mother sing to her baby to lull him/her to sleep?

They torture and berate the baby until it enters the elf sleep-trance.

SiuiS
2014-10-24, 02:09 AM
I figured it was more Italian mafia rather than street gang (maybe feuding families). But the point is still there and quite valid.

That's fair. The only real difference is scope and professionalism, but comparing drow society to Italian renaissance family feuds like the whole Romeo Juliet thing is probably apt.

hamishspence
2014-10-24, 02:11 AM
But when is that wiki? Does it include the homogenization from 4e? You'll find similar issues with dark sun; difficult to find a wiki that doesn't take all lore period together.

It does cite the 4e PHB as the source- but I recall the same point being made in the 3e-era Starlight & Shadows trilogy.

SiuiS
2014-10-24, 03:52 AM
It does cite the 4e PHB as the source- but I recall the same point being made in the 3e-era Starlight & Shadows trilogy.

Alright. I think 3e is when they started to pull together the whole system, so that makes sense.

I can't check, but I believe elven reverie first popped up in the 2e book of elves, which was also the source for drow not reverie-Ing. I'm not 100% though, I don't know where my 2e books are to check. Alas.

Who knew? Four years ago I wanted to just compile all data across the settings. Now, I'm pedantic about which rules iteration brought what lore.

hymer
2014-10-24, 04:26 AM
I can't check, but I believe elven reverie first popped up in the 2e book of elves, which was also the source for drow not reverie-Ing. I'm not 100% though, I don't know where my 2e books are to check. Alas.

Well, I can, so why don't I? CBoE p. 34 details the reverie, but also states that elves can in fact sleep if they so choose. There is no mention of drow in the reverie section, and no mention of reverie under drow (which aren't a big theme of the book). This is, of course, at the time of 90% resistance to charm and sleep, so sleep is at least possible for elves, however rare. Whether this is the first mention is of course a little harder to say.
There's no mention of it under elves in the 2nd ed. PHB (or the first edition, but that has virtually no fluff in the race descriptions). The Player's Option: Skills & Powers include the first 4-hour rest for elves mentioned as racial ability, which they can purchase for 5 CPs; but it is specifically mentioned as sleep, and the ability is called Less Sleep.

Bulhakov
2014-10-24, 07:08 AM
My daughter loves this one and it could fit the drow theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipHYg_FNJ5s

SiuiS
2014-10-25, 12:54 PM
Well, I can, so why don't I? CBoE p. 34 details the reverie, but also states that elves can in fact sleep if they so choose. There is no mention of drow in the reverie section, and no mention of reverie under drow (which aren't a big theme of the book). This is, of course, at the time of 90% resistance to charm and sleep, so sleep is at least possible for elves, however rare. Whether this is the first mention is of course a little harder to say.
There's no mention of it under elves in the 2nd ed. PHB (or the first edition, but that has virtually no fluff in the race descriptions). The Player's Option: Skills & Powers include the first 4-hour rest for elves mentioned as racial ability, which they can purchase for 5 CPs; but it is specifically mentioned as sleep, and the ability is called Less Sleep.

Thanks!

I forgot they had the charm/sleep resistance, and I think book of elves is when they started saying that resistance was because of the reverie. So there's not much leg to stand on except a specific call out of drow not doing that thing somewhere, which is about as useful a citation as "the guy said the thing, once."

LibraryOgre
2014-10-26, 01:50 PM

My wife has been watching The Sopranos. Man, it gives me ideas for a drow-heavy campaign, even down to the sexism.

Michael7123
2014-10-28, 09:22 PM
Simple. A single hard club to the back of the child's head ought to be enough to knock it thoroughly unconscince.

afroakuma
2014-10-28, 09:25 PM
Drow mothers don't do that sort of thing, it's a waste of their time. Nurses handle that. I would imagine a lullaby like this one would fit nicely. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJGqxf86cZs)

Vitruviansquid
2014-10-28, 09:38 PM
In a society full of random, chaotic violence, drow mothers (or nurses) would probably find lullabies about security fairly comforting.

SiuiS
2014-10-28, 09:44 PM
In a society full of random, chaotic violence, drow mothers (or nurses) would probably find lullabies about security fairly comforting.

And lay the foundations for surprising the weak who believe them, actually.

Man on Fire
2014-10-29, 08:07 AM

That was the first thing that came to my mind.

Child, darkness will raise down from the deep
And carry you down into sleep

Sith_Happens
2014-10-29, 11:14 AM
I would imagine a lullaby like this one would fit nicely. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJGqxf86cZs)

This x1000. Can't believe I forgot to post it myself.