PDA

View Full Version : Ryazen Bay: City of Smoke and Lighting [IC]

DoomHat
2014-10-22, 11:36 PM
Year 461~ Common Calendar
The Ryazen Bay Proclaimer is ubiquitous in the city. A new edition hits stands and kiosks on the first day of every week. Here are some of the more talked about headlines.

-Impromptu Celebration Goes Horribly Wrong
A party in University Village went swiftly out of control after somebody decided it would be a 'good idea' to mix smuggled Raaneki Heartwine, Niskovian Vodka, Tekorvan Ice Wine, and Haljan Absinthe in the same supposedly non-alcoholic barrel of fruit juice!
The magical or semi-magical nature of these ingredients have left lasting 'eccentricities' in the party goers. The Tyrant's Voice has granted clemency to the party goers for their part of having access to illicit substances and their 'actions' post ingestion saying, “Have you seen what it's done to them? What greater punishment could we possibly inflict?”
University medical researchers are eager to study their condition and the Chief Inquisitor's Office is keen to track down the source of these substances.

-Rogue Artist Outrages Nation
Night after night in the Dockworks, statues depicting The Hated Khaliphs have been appearing throughout the streets. There seems to be no consistency in their order or style, some being cast from the finest gold and others of woven sticks and plants.
While the Tyrant's Inquisition has attempted to catch the perpetrators they have not been able to apprehend the mysterious artist(s). Their investigations have been hampered due to enraged citizens taking chains and cudgels to the offending objects before authorities can arrive.

-Horrors Discovered in the Undercity
University engineers and Dockworks laborers are dead or maimed flowing an unsettling revelation during recent efforts to lay infrastructure under the city streets. Here to fore unknown caverns and tunnels have been discovered beneath the city, and terrible things living within them.
The Tyrant's Bloodknights are gathering for an expedition into this unsettling underworld. They are seeking the aid of mercenaries and exceptionally brave diplomats to attempt to ascertain if a campaign of total war will be necessary against these creatures.

Rain Dragon
2014-10-28, 08:19 AM
Luka de ArbréYear 462, Golden Road, New Crima

The journey to Ryazen Bay of New Crima was not a long one for the seasoned traveller, but for a Favn who had never left the Sovereign Principality of Niskovia it was more than enough for a lifetime. His hooves were worn, supplies were low and he had even managed to catch his tunic on the way, leaving an increasingly large hole. Luka de Arbré had done his best to mend it with what he had, but the damage would most certainly require an experienced tailor to properly fix. The Visyknin Spaiha were no use either; they had been dispatched ahead of him to ensure the city was safe. He'd seen neither hide nor hair of them.
Perhaps I should turn back... No news is not good news in this case.
Yet the city was just around the bend and Luka de Arbré was exhausted.

*Ffft!*

Luka de Arbré had little time to think before he slipped away into darkness...

Luka de ArbréYear 462, Spice Lane, Ryazen Bay

"Was it necessary? Truly?"
Luka de Arbré stifled a low groan. His entire body ached dimly as he groggily opened one eye to a dark room.
"It was optimal. They cannot know."
"I think it'd be far more suspicious for him to just... appear than if he came peacefully."
Wait... Did they...? It was hard to think with such a headache.
"We just couldn't leave it to chance. Ryazen Bay is far bigger than we thought."
What did they do...
"This is what I get for leading farmers to do a Spaiha's job... Come."
Well, that's awkward.

Some time later...

When he was finally able to move properly, Luka de Arbré quickly checked nothing was amiss before looking around. He was in a narrow alleyway in a strange city. Ahead he could see a main road bustling with various people. Left with no information and little choice, Luka de Arbré joined the crowd. First things first, he should find a tailor to fix his tunic lest it fall to pieces.

((OOC - I hope you will excuse sloppiness/weirdness. It has been one of those days...

I don't mind if someone else jumps in. If not, my character intends to happen across Kitsanth's tailor when he's finished and approved. ^^))

QuintonBeck
2014-10-28, 11:35 AM
The Ambassador straightened out the latest copy of the Proclaimer he was holding in front of him with a flick of his wrist and sipped on the Ashenian brew he held in his other hand.

"Would you look at this Kavi? They still haven't captured that artist going around making those statues of the Kaliph. You know, I thought these Cree Blood Knights were supposed to be a crack team of commandos? They can't even catch a damned artist with too much time on his hands, how do they expect the Triumvirate to trust them with their protection?"

"To be fair sir, we don't. Or I wouldn't be here," the Ambassador's brother-in-law and personal Dusk Knight said, standing as evidence to his own statement, "And if they were too good sir they might track down the source of the smuggled Raaneki Heartwine..."

"Hmm, yes, well, good point."

"Still, I wonder if you might not be enough considering the happenings going on. It's bad enough the Senior expects you to guard him when we go out together but he's mentioned to me on several occasions desiring to have your company when he alone travels to diplomatic meetings. You're too good Kavi, and I can't have you getting hauled away to work guard duty for the Senior when I need you to help administrate the businesses."

"Speaking of sir, it's the first of the month, time to collect," the Dusk Knight seemed to hide a slight smile.

"So it is, so it is. Well, we'll think of solutions to our staffing problem while we make our rounds then. Come along Kavi, let us go and meet with the good fishermen at the Harbor to make sure their catches have been satisfactory this month."

DoomHat
2014-10-29, 07:14 PM
Year 462, Spice Lane, Ryazen Bay
-Luka de Arbré

Luka could hear an exasperated sigh to his left as he exited the ally.
The Bloodknight's smile was strange. It look sad, yet sincere, yet somewhat strained and false.
“Had a rowdy evening friend? Need somewhere to sleep it off?”

Silk Fish Harbor
Spring, 461cc
Afternoon
-Junior Ambassador Benestizo Mifi

The town was largely unremarkable during the day. It wasn't until evening that the Red Lanterns were lit, the dice began rolling, and liqueur flowing. This is not to say its true nature was completely hidden.

The Mutilated Hound, to all outward appearances, was an open air pub that overlooked the sea from atop a gently slopping hill. Yellow tinged smoke billowed out from it, as a small congregation of older gentlemen in tastelessly cut finery smoked exotic weeds and gossiped of dark and hateful things. To approach this place without good reason was to court a strange and almost certainly unpleasant fate.

Benestizo found himself invited there the moment he arrived in town. He was invited with very stern and urgent courtesy.

Boss Ruikhan was reclined in front of a go board. His corpulent form was lavishly decorated in gold and precious fabrics. It was hard to say if he was sweating, or simply coated in slime, as is the natural state of a slug. The swooping curves of his thick brow and the clean white sharpness of his carnivorous smile brought to mind the surreal image of a bloated toad with the face of tiger.

With a throat ruined by years of wrathful bellowing and casual decadence, his voice was a guttural rasp,
“Ghah, so glad you could make it my boy. So glad. Ambitious young man like you, must have a lot on his plate. Don't imagine an ambitious young man like you might have the time to indulge me in a game?”

His fat misshapen paw grazed over the pieces, briefly obscuring them from view until revealing a first move made.

{Make a Risk Roll befitting your next course of action to Succeed in the negotiation. Feel free to take control of Ruikhan in your response, so long as you respect that he is cunning, horrible, possessed of significant resources, and not satisfied with your current arrangements in town.}

Rain Dragon
2014-10-30, 07:45 PM
Year 462, Spice Lane, Ryazen Bay
-Luka de Arbré

Luka could hear an exasperated sigh to his left as he exited the ally.
The Bloodknight's smile was strange. It look sad, yet sincere, yet somewhat strained and false.
“Had a rowdy evening friend? Need somewhere to sleep it off?”

"Uh, no. I wasn't causing trouble. I don't need a place to stay. I am looking for a tailor, though." Luka de Arbré indicated his worn tunic.

From the shadows, a young Visyknin watched the exchange...

QuintonBeck
2014-10-31, 11:12 AM

Silk Fish Harbor
Spring, 461cc
Afternoon
-Junior Ambassador Benestizo Mifi [/CENTER]

The town was largely unremarkable during the day. It wasn't until evening that the Red Lanterns were lit, the dice began rolling, and liqueur flowing. This is not to say its true nature was completely hidden.

The Mutilated Hound, to all outward appearances, was an open air pub that overlooked the sea from atop a gently slopping hill. Yellow tinged smoke billowed out from it, as a small congregation of older gentlemen in tastelessly cut finery smoked exotic weeds and gossiped of dark and hateful things. To approach this place without good reason was to court a strange and almost certainly unpleasant fate.

Benestizo found himself invited there the moment he arrived in town. He was invited with very stern and urgent courtesy.

Boss Ruikhan was reclined in front of a go board. His corpulent form was lavishly decorated in gold and precious fabrics. It was hard to say if he was sweating, or simply coated in slime, as is the natural state of a slug. The swooping curves of his thick brow and the clean white sharpness of his carnivorous smile brought to mind the surreal image of a bloated toad with the face of tiger.

With a throat ruined by years of wrathful bellowing and casual decadence, his voice was a guttural rasp,
“Ghah, so glad you could make it my boy. So glad. Ambitious young man like you, must have a lot on his plate. Don't imagine an ambitious young man like you might have the time to indulge me in a game?”

His fat misshapen paw grazed over the pieces, briefly obscuring them from view until revealing a first move made.

{Make a Risk Roll befitting your next course of action to Succeed in the negotiation. Feel free to take control of Ruikhan in your response, so long as you respect that he is cunning, horrible, possessed of significant resources, and not satisfied with your current arrangements in town.}

"Boss Ruikhan! I would say it was a pleasure to see you, but that would make me a masochist of the visual realm," Bene said with a fake smile, "I didn't come for games, but I'm never one to turn down an opportunity. You know that," these last words were said with a little more ice.

Bene took the seat across from the Boss.

"What game are we playing Boss? Hopefully one you have a chance at winning, and not something like trying to bring in Tekorvan Ice Wine. Didn't your boy get pinched by the Tyrant's Bloodgoons? Only let go on account of Her Tyrannical decree?" He smiled the challenge and looked down at the board, figuring the game and making his first move in return.

Intrigue Roll
[roll0]

((OOC: I don't want to RP Ruikhan yet lest I do him wrong, I may pick him up if we don't wrap up in a couple of back and forths and once I know his personality a bit more))

DoomHat
2014-10-31, 12:17 PM
"What game are we playing Boss? Hopefully one you have a chance at winning, and not something like trying to bring in Tekorvan Ice Wine. Didn't your boy get pinched by the Tyrant's Bloodgoons? Only let go on account of Her Tyrannical decree?" He smiled the challenge and looked down at the board, figuring the game and making his first move in return.

Ruikhan arched his eyebrows at the young Ambassador's temerity and looked to another old gangster with a bemused expression that seemed to say, "oh, save me from the folly of youth". A brief and hideous chuckle spread around the room. Ruikhan made the young ambassador wait while he leisurely got out his long pipe, packed it with something evil smelling, and worked a flint lighter making sparks until it lit.

He inhaled from it deeply, then spoke, his words coming out as an eerie and demonic smoke,
"Gahahaa, take care now boy. Crima is a strange land, fulla mysterious things. It can be awful bad luck to speak so flippantly to your elders here. All kindsa tragedies can happen."

He moved his piece on the board, and his expression soured.

"Funny you should mention my boy... That's why we need to talk. Yes, the Tyranny gave him back to us. Gave him back alive too. They strung him up by his ankle and dragged him back behind a galloping horse. Town healer says if he don't squirm around too much in his splints, he might even walk again.

The Tyrant's mercy and willingness to let us do business don't extend to far beyond the town. That's the game. Inquisition don't snoop around our homes and gives our boys only what the Tyrant considers a 'slap on the wrist' if we get caught anywhere else.

Risk is gettin a little high. That 'slap on the wrist' used ta just break bone, now its gettin' to take off the hand. You, are no longer, offering, enough. Our current arrangement is no longer satisfactory. You got that you foreign little $&^%."

[OOC: I was basically inviting you to invent his personality as you liked, based on your roll. Your successful roll means that you'll eventually get his goat without any cost to yourself, and since you used Intrigue that will have to involve trickery, blackmail, or some other shadowy means.]

"Uh, no. I wasn't causing trouble. I don't need a place to stay. I am looking for a tailor, though." Luka de Arbré indicated his worn tunic.

From the shadows, a young Visyknin watched the exchange...

"Well... its not a crime to look like a guttersnipe in this part of town, but it is a little unseemly like. I assume you've been to the money changer? You have local coin?"

Rain Dragon
2014-10-31, 01:02 PM
"Well... its not a crime to look like a guttersnipe in this part of town, but it is a little unseemly like. I assume you've been to the money changer? You have local coin?"

Luka de Arbré blinks. Guttersnipe? Evidently some type of slang, but it was difficult to decipher connotations given the context.
"Yes, I do." Luka de Arbré lied. He was not much comfortable speaking with the fellow right then and it was likely the Visyknin would return soon. Nonetheless, staying in one place in a foreign city was potentially unwise... Especially if a 'guttersnipe' is not a particularly well-off being.

The Visyknin slips into the crowd to notify Luka de Arbré's contact of a change in plans.

Kitsanth
2014-11-02, 08:38 AM
Wovirl Nalraen - Year 462, Spice Lane, Ryazen Bay

Wovirl had been taking a casual mid-morning stroll, when to his surprise, he saw a Favn! And from he had heard of the conversation, it seemed that he was in need of a tailor, first to help him away from that bloodknight and then to fix him a new tunic of course.

"Sir Bloodknight!" greeted Wovirl, as he quickly constructed a plausible reason for interrupting, "You've found my dear friend, we were to meet for breakfast and when he didn't show I feared something had happened to him."

Subtly placing himself between the Bloodknight and the young Favn - and this Favn was clearly young - Wovirl continued, striving to keep this Cree off-balance, "My shop is just down this way, but then you remember my shop of course. It wont take me long to rectify your tunic," the Karranan paused, taking a closer look, "Then again... it seems you need a new one. At no charge for a good friend like you of course."

Placing an arm companionably about his new acquaintance's shoulders, Wovirl started to steer the Favn towards his premises - careful not to react at the presences that seemed to be keeping an eye on this curious traveller.

DoomHat
2014-11-02, 09:35 AM
Luka de Arbré, Wovirl Nalraen - Year 462, Spice Lane, Ryazen Bay

The Bloodknight looked on with tired incredulity as they left, making no move to stop them. He sucked his teeth as he contemplated the possibilities on display, and calculated that this probably didn't qualify as, "threatening the peace". Probably undocumented immigration, but whatever, that's not a problem til they get up to trouble...

He shrugged and continued his patrol. If the kid was up to something more's the better. Like the chief Inquisitor always says, "Encourage Stupid Criminals! They tend to step on the Smart One's toes,". He'd still report everything he'd seen to the Tower of course.

Rain Dragon
2014-11-03, 07:47 AM
Wovirl Nalraen - Year 462, Spice Lane, Ryazen Bay

Wovirl had been taking a casual mid-morning stroll, when to his surprise, he saw a Favn! And from he had heard of the conversation, it seemed that he was in need of a tailor, first to help him away from that bloodknight and then to fix him a new tunic of course.

"Sir Bloodknight!" greeted Wovirl, as he quickly constructed a plausible reason for interrupting, "You've found my dear friend, we were to meet for breakfast and when he didn't show I feared something had happened to him."

Subtly placing himself between the Bloodknight and the young Favn - and this Favn was clearly young - Wovirl continued, striving to keep this Cree off-balance, "My shop is just down this way, but then you remember my shop of course. It wont take me long to rectify your tunic," the Karranan paused, taking a closer look, "Then again... it seems you need a new one. At no charge for a good friend like you of course."

Placing an arm companionably about his new acquaintance's shoulders, Wovirl started to steer the Favn towards his premises - careful not to react at the presences that seemed to be keeping an eye on this curious traveller.

Luka de Arbré, Wovirl Nalraen - Year 462, Spice Lane, Ryazen Bay

The Bloodknight looked on with tired incredulity as they left, making no move to stop them. He sucked his teeth as he contemplated the possibilities on display, and calculated that this probably didn't qualify as, "threatening the peace". Probably undocumented immigration, but whatever, that's not a problem til they get up to trouble...

He shrugged and continued his patrol. If the kid was up to something more's the better. Like the chief Inquisitor always says, "Encourage Stupid Criminals! They tend to step on the Smart One's toes,". He'd still report everything he'd seen to the Tower of course.

Luka de Arbré had been minding his own business, when to his surprise, he saw a Karranan! At least, a part-Karranan. Thankfully, said countryman seemed to be helping Luka de Arbré whether he wanted or no. It was almost not worth being removed from a potentially awkward interrogation by the local Guard and netting a free tunic in the process. A new one at that, possibly. Allowing himself to be steered so as not to draw attention, Luka said nothing until the stranger had led him to his shop or breakfast or wherever...