PDA

View Full Version : Useful mundane gear for 1st level characters

Hiro Quester
2014-10-23, 01:43 AM
Starting a new campaign, playing a druid gnome. I get 80 gold to spend. Woohoo!

I recall a list once of useful cheap gear for starting characters, to help them deal with encounters well, and not die before 4th level.

I can't recall what it was called or where it was. Can anyone recall?

If it no longer exists, what tips would you give a beginning adventurer, about essential or useful equipment?

Or tips for mundane equipment that can be used in useful ways (e.g.using a sack of flour as a poor man's glitterdust).

OldTrees1
2014-10-23, 03:14 AM
The Utility Belt (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4400.0)

There were 2 other threads like this. Bunko's Bargin Basement is too expensive and the other one I can't remember the name of.

eggynack
2014-10-23, 04:04 AM
The other one I can't remember the name of.
Shax's Indispensable Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)) is likely the thing you're thinking of.

Lokd0wn
2014-10-23, 04:13 AM
In the FR adventure Sons of Gruumsh on page 28 there is an Explorer's Kit. Quite handily it costs 80 gp and includes the following:

Backpack
Bedroll
Map/Scroll case
Crowbar
Flint & steel
50 ft silk rope with grappling hook
Hammer with 10 pitons
Hooded lantern
Small steel mirror
Silver mug
3 flasks of oil
6 sheets of parchment
Vial of ink
Iron pot
3 empty belt pouches
5 empty sacks
1lb of soap
Small shovel
Tent
Waterskin
5 Sunrods
5 Tindertwigs
10 days worth of trail rations

It seems to cover most of the basics apart from weapons, armour etc.

OldTrees1
2014-10-23, 05:03 AM
Shax's Indispensable Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)) is likely the thing you're thinking of.

Yep that is the one. I'll bookmark it this time.

Hiro Quester
2014-10-23, 06:18 AM
Thanks. Bunkos was too expensive, and the handy haversack also, though a couple of the cheaper items might be affordable.

The list from SoG is a good start. Thanks, lokd0wn!

The utility belt contains a couple of good suggestions (Marbles, to force pursuers to make a DC 15 balance check!).

More like that would be welcome, too.

ninjamaster1991
2014-10-23, 09:45 AM
Some flour, a flint and steel, and as many rocks as you can carry.
Flour is good for spreading around to test for illusions, air currents, invisible creatures/objects, and future footprints. It's also very flammable - worth at least a bonus on Survival checks to start a fire.
The flint and steel is a nice cross between the ease but expense of Tindertwigs (alchemic matches, basically) and rubbing two sticks together to make a fire.
The rocks are the cheapest, and arguably the most useful - unlimited throwing weapons, trap checkers (get the STR 18 barbarian to hurl them at the floor), Indiana Jones-style dead weight, and one-half of the legendary Rock on a Rope.

Invader
2014-10-23, 01:35 PM
Egg shell grenades, no save blindness for 1d4 rounds for 10g, hard to beat.

sideswipe
2014-10-23, 01:43 PM
Aboleth Mucus 20gp

dc 19 fortitude save or die. literally.

you throw it at the boss and if it works you run, and come back 3 mins later to a room full of loot.

Hiro Quester
2014-10-23, 06:38 PM
Thanks.

IMHO, Aboleth mucus is broken, for 20 gold. But we are playing a close-to-core game, so it's outside our books, anyway.