PDA

View Full Version : Need help improving a magic item

Chaosvii7
2014-10-23, 04:44 AM
Not a big deal. I'm making a cadre of Drow to serve as villains of the next plot arc in my Roll20 campaign, and I've made one amazing magic item for one of the NPCs, who is a bladelock with an impressive weapon. The other character I need an item for is this typical Drow assassin. The base item I gave him was a whip that, when it hits, grabs the target and pulls them towards him so that he can shank them with his dagger. I'm trying to come up with ways to better enhance this item so that it can do a little bit more. I thought of giving him some poison, but that just doesn't seem fair considering his chassis is a nerfed version of the Assassin's(from the Hoard of the Dragon Queen online supplement, page 18). He's only about a CR 5 enemy in my eyes now, but I still need to give him something that'll have a bit of a pop besides "I deal more damage" or something like that.

Here's a write-up of the item as it is right now. It's a base whip with one power so far, any other ideas what I can ad to it to give it some more flavor? The party will pick this up between levels 6 and 8, so it should kind of suit the scope of those levels. I'd prefer it not be tailor-made for one specific class, but obviously it's pretty niche for most characters. I expect the party's rogue is going to have an interest in taking this, despite not being an assassin herself.

This strange-looking scourge looks like a blighted and mutated stretch of thorny brambles, but upon closer inspection appears to simply be a well-crafted +1 whip. While you are wielding the Thorn Lasher and attune to it, you can access the follolwing properties.

Blighted Grip(1/turn): When you successfully hit a target with the Thorn Lasher, the target must make a DC 13 strength saving throw or be pulled 5 feet towards you and grappled until the start of your next turn.

Noldo
2014-10-23, 06:39 AM
How about power where it could impose a level of fatigue (with Constitution or Strength save to resist) if the wielder manager to hold grapple for two or three consecutive rounds? I would think that such an effect would not be overpowering, provided that you cannot cause more than single level of fatigue. I would visualize it that the whip would wrap itself tighter around the victim like a constrictor snake.

Chaosvii7
2014-10-23, 06:53 AM
How about power where it could impose a level of fatigue (with Constitution or Strength save to resist) if the wielder manager to hold grapple for two or three consecutive rounds? I would think that such an effect would not be overpowering, provided that you cannot cause more than single level of fatigue. I would visualize it that the whip would wrap itself tighter around the victim like a constrictor snake.

Sold! That's a great one. I was trying to think of some sort of strong debilitating debuff for an extra ability, but I couldn't get there. I think that's an interesting one. It can very slowly kill if you're unable to escape it's grasp.

TheDeadlyShoe
2014-10-23, 07:28 AM
some sort of utility ability would also be a possibility (bility bility).

*ability to reel up to ceilings, kinda like batman.
*ability to set the whip as a trap that wraps around someone
*ability to awaken and blight plants for a short period of time

*vampiric grip: the grip of the whip grows stronger each turn as it drains strength from its victim.

Tenmujiin
2014-10-25, 10:49 PM
*ability to reel up to ceilings, kinda like batman.

Given that the whip is capable of pulling in an enemy I would find a way of codifying the ability to use it as a grappling hook type item.

Slipperychicken
2014-10-26, 01:37 PM
Maybe the lasher could also forgo one of his attacks make the whip pull a grappled opponent prone, then bind him with manacles or something?

If they're high-level enough to take the damage, you could have him do that thorn-dragging trick they were talking about in the grapple thread.

Also, maybe you could use it to swing around (Grab and swing on object A -> jump -> grab object B), like a very limited spider-man?

infinitetech
2014-10-28, 04:34 AM
how about something that is a the user takes xd4 damage, the user chooses how many, for x rounds all beings hit with the whip have blood fed vines crawl into their outfits and hair and bind them and whisper/yell mad things into their mind, the beings hit in this way gain -x to all core stat rolls, -2x to AC, -3x to all saves, and -4x on all skill checks, on any round that this effect is active the user must hit a target or get bit them self (until next turn they also are at negs and they take 1 attack worth damage) if the user crit fails during this they hit them self for crit damage and are effected fully by the effect

(a risk/reward little shop of horrors twist on the thing, feed me Seymour, feed me now)

would help if we had the character's info too