PDA

View Full Version : Ghosts and etherealness

Smorgonoffz
2014-10-23, 04:59 AM
A ghost with etherealness, who retreats into the ethereal plane from the material plane is basically immune to pcs?.

I asked because i thought of using a ghost as an opponent in a encounter and didn't want to tpk them.

hymer
2014-10-23, 05:58 AM
A ghost with etherealness, who retreats into the ethereal plane from the material plane is basically immune to pcs?.

I asked because i thought of using a ghost as an opponent in a encounter and didn't want to tpk them.

Depends a bit on the PC (some can turn ethereal on their own or summon a minion to go after the ghost, say), but generally yes. On the other hand, the PCs are equally immune to the ghost while they're not on the same plane of existence ("it can't affect or be affected by anything on the other plane"). It takes an action to shift planes, so there's a moment of vulnerability (and then there's readying actions).
But the real way to deal with a ghost is usually to deal with whatever caused the ghost in the first place, of course. Ghosts are supposed to be as much a story (usually a sad one) as a monster to fight.

Morukai
2014-10-23, 06:13 AM

Not necessarily... there are some things that reach into the ethereal plane, but they are generally higher level effects (forcecage, etc)