PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Constricted Character Choice, Advice on Build

Alagos
2014-10-23, 06:45 AM
Hello All,

I posted a few days ago about running a Path of War Stalker build in an upcoming campaign. The DM doesn't usually allow 3rd party stuff, and has flat out refused certain feats such as Deadly Agility (Dex to damage, understandable). But from what I could read from him, he didn't seem too enthusiastic about having to learn/teach the maneuver system to all the other players. That and the campaign setting would make my being a Tiefling kill-on-sight from level 1, thus killing my character's origin story and certain other roleplaying devices. Going to bring the guy's character sheet in just in case, but most likely I'll be going with the following build:

So, without further adieu:

Human Ranger 1 / Maneuver Master/Monk of Four Winds Monk 1 / Ranger 6 / ???

20 Point Buy
18 STR
15 DEX (for TWF)
14 CON
8 INT
12 WIS (for spells)
8 CHA

Reactionary, +2 init
Magical Knack, +2 caster level up to HD

Notable Features:
Ranger 1) Improved Shield Bash, Two-Weapon Fighting, Favored Enemy (undecided)
Monk 1) Improved Trip (bonus), Elemental Fist, IUS, Flurry of Maneuvers
Ranger 2) Shield Slam (bonus), Spiked Destroyer
Ranger 3) Endurance, Favored Terrain
Ranger 4) Combat Reflexes OR Boon Companion, Animal Companion (Roc, for flavor and function), 1st lvl Spells
Ranger 5) 2nd Favored Enemy
Ranger 6) Shield Master (bonus), Vicious Stomp

Tentative party composition so far: Me (tanky frontline fighter), a hunter, bard, swashbuckler, gunslinger.

The campaign is focused heavily towards humanoid interaction and warfare. Arcane magic users are heavily prejudiced against and there's homebrew ammo for firearms that severely hampers any arcane spellcaster's effectiveness when shot. So, I decided to focus my character on combat maneuvers, primarily bullrush and trip, and fusing that with shield bashing. Semi-battlefield controller with enough damage and tank through Improved Shield Bash to see me through.

By level 3, my full attack will look something like:
Flurry maneuver (trip for +4 against prone), 2H shield bash, 1d6+6, if shield slam successful, 1d6+4 spiked armor, unarmed kick 1d6+4.
If the guy's still alive enough to stand back up, AoO with a 2H shield bash for another 1d6+6. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Past this point, I'm not quite sure what to do with this character. The last campaign we ran only went to level 4, but that was primarily due to our DM's entire bag of books, dice, and our entire campaign being stolen out of his car. So I'm not sure how far this one is going to go. By the sounds of it, he's planning something longer this time. So, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Whatever can further enhance this character's functionality. I've got a few options in my head so far.

1) Keep going with ranger, leveling up spells, animal companion, favored enemy, etc. Bonus feat at 10th isn't as amazing as Shield Master but still good.
2) Dip 3 levels in Brawler archetype fighter, for the fixed +1 AB and +3 damage with close weapons, along with the bonus to bullrush, drag and reposition.
3) Some other class or prestige class. I'll leave it to the expertise of the Playground to think of something. Some of the things you guys can come up with never ceases to astound me.

Any suggestions on feats/multiclassing between levels 1-7 as well? All of this is subject to change until tomorrow night.

Also, how would a vivisectionist alchemist compare to this? The 3rd option for characters I had running in my head involved a Sherlock Holmes-ish gentleman with a ridiculous ego, enough embellished stories to write several books, and the ability to almost justify it all. Almost. That and an insatiable thirst for fame and attention. Any build recommendations based on that? CHA-heavy mad chemist with a flair for the dramatic?