PDA

View Full Version : mage's weapon?

jlousivy
2007-03-19, 12:37 AM
Ok I want a sword (permanate magic item, not a spell) that a wizard can use and be able to hit. something along the lines of-- your +tohit is your caster level+int modifier and your damage is 1d8+??? modifier. now i don't want it to use my CL as my bab (so at say lvl 12 i'd still only have 2 attacks due to bab being 6)

so in no way am i wanting my wizard to be able to be able to out-melee anyone, but just to be able to hit on something other than a natural 20.

is this possible and if so how much would it cost / how would i make it?

NemoUtopia
2007-03-19, 01:25 AM
Just based on the general concept of using the spell {Tenser's} Transformation as the component spell, you'd be looking at making something a +1 sword and then either adding a +8 bonus ability or a flat +~132000. The effect itself might read something like:

"While wielding sword of yaddablah, any arcane caster is treated as having a BAB equal to their total character level (which may grant additional attacks). The sword grants an additional +2 bonus to both attacks and damage, as well as better defending the wielder, granting a +2 dodge bonus to AC and a +4 NA bonus as well. While wielding the blade, the wielder is unable to cast spells from any source (this restriction does not apply if the sword is sheathed)."

That said, you can probably easily cut the cost a lot by removing the AC bonuses and magic restriction (which would add some back), and then removing the BAB modification clause for more price back. A final item that's more appropriate might be:

"While wielding sword of yaddablah, any arcane caster gains an attack bonus equal to half their character level derived from spellcasting classes (rounded up) [which does NOT grant additional attacks]. Instead of using Strength, the wielder uses their primary casting stat bonus to determine attacks and damage."

Strong Transmutation; CL 11th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, {Tenser's} Transformation; Price X. {perhaps equivalent to a +3 or +4 bonus? |with the CL increasing to 12 in the case of a +4 bonus|}

AmberVael
2007-03-19, 01:33 AM
There is already one enchantment close to this purpose: Skillful.
I can't cite it exactly due to it not being Open Source, but it basically ups your BAB to 3/4 with that one weapon.
Its a +2 bonus, and it can be found on page 144 of Complete Arcane.

NemoUtopia
2007-03-19, 01:37 AM
In that case, the enchantment I proposed would definitely be a +4 bonus, and is essentially Skillful, Greater.

AmberVael
2007-03-19, 01:47 AM
Well, Skillful does give you extra attacks though. So I'm not sure how that would come into play.
Maybe a +5 bonus for full BAB and adding int to attack and damage (rather than substituting)?

I don't know, +4 might be enough for that too. Its kinda iffy.

knightsaline
2007-03-19, 02:05 AM
what about a feat that allows you to use your INT or CHA modifier instead of your STR, like weapon finesse, but for casters.

serow
2007-03-19, 03:46 AM
Hmm how about just making a gish instead?
Now you can hit, and cast!

Fizban
2007-03-19, 04:08 AM
Bah, after waiting for connection to re-establish:

Using your int to hit (and possible for damage) is worth a +2, skillful has granted full BAB in the past but now grants only 3/4, also for +2.

Either way, there's not much need for a caster to have a weapon like this, there's plenty of other melee options in spell form that grant you touch attacks. You want an item? Then make an item of one. There was an item in a forgotten realms book, let you make touch attacks with it that dealt 1d6 negative energy and save against 1 strength damage, essentially chill touchat wil. I could see a continuous scimitar of sand for the formula price of 24,000gp. That gives you a 1d6+1 touch attack at will.

So, back to the original question, +4 cost for 3/4 BAB and the ability to use int instead of str on attacks.

But really, it's much better for a wizard to use a different method, such as a continuous sand saber. It only needs a touch attack, so you'll hit much easier than even if you upped your attack bonus a ton. With spells like Corrosive Grasp, Claws of Darkness, Scimitar of Sand, Decastave, and Flame Whips, you shouldn't be focusing on a weapon, you should be focusing on the spell to use. And these don't need to be cast personally, a scroll, uses/day item, or wand will serve you just fine.

You could also look into a ring of spell storing and have the cleric cast divine power into it, which you could then activate yourself and up your BAB to full.

Haedrian
2007-03-19, 05:08 AM
what about a feat that allows you to use your INT or CHA modifier instead of your STR, like weapon finesse, but for casters.

Something along the line of telekenisis where you're controlling the sword (at close range) with your mind instead of with your hand?

Not a bad idea.

But seriously, do they need this sort of power? They can already rip things to shreds easy enough alone...

A wizard is MEANT to be weak at hand-to-hand combat, he gets very damaging spells (eventually), plus he can't wear armor or anything.

A wizard is meant to be hidden at the back, away from the main fight.

Tallthulu
2007-03-19, 05:25 AM
hi, my first post, be gentle.
i'm with haedrian's question, do you need the power? i mean if we replace/emulate tenser's w/a spell, that kind of makes tesner's transformation a moot point wouldnt you say? and becuase dm 2-4 times a week with one game especially high powered i have to bring up the point of headaches for the dm and point out that if it did grant full bab and you got int/cha as your damage mod, what kind of monster would be wrought of a casting of tensers?
its not pretty. not as bad as a scout/monk/rouge/drunken master with a maul of the titans getting thrown at high velocity by the kobold whom has managed to steal a hellfire worm's body, but still dangerous.
and i wish i was joking about the last part.

Haedrian
2007-03-19, 06:02 AM
You know, punctuation and paragraphing would help us understand that.

Not to be mean or anything...

I didn't understand anything except the first bit.

jlousivy
2007-03-19, 08:52 AM
See, I WOULD like a gish. However I'm already a lvl 11 (should be 12 once he calculates experience points).

That and my DM is very stingy on spells, effectively making casters on par or sometimes weaker than melee.

i see. i like skillful. so...

Bastard Sword +3 Skillful(+2) that works! I have a 14 str (i thought it'd be interesting--- now i regret not putting it in charisma or wisdom) So once i get to lvl 12 i'll give me a (9+3+2) +14/+9 to hit with it dealing 1d10+6 damage. Then I'll go make a belt of giant str(+6) for +(17/+12 1d10+10)

Thank you. I didn't think 'skillful' would only be a +2 bonus (i liked tensers transformation but it prohibited spellcasting, kinda ... since clerics get divine power with no restrictions and at a lower level spell slot too!)

NemoUtopia
2007-03-19, 02:24 PM
...(i liked tensers transformation but it prohibited spellcasting, kinda ... since clerics get divine power with no restrictions and at a lower level spell slot too!)

Yeah, which is ridiculously nutso. Sure, you get similar stat bonuses and better AC buffs, but they get other crazyness too...soopie clerics getting better [name X other than polymorphing or direct damage] :smalltongue:

Haedrian
2007-03-19, 02:32 PM
That and my DM is very stingy on spells, effectively making casters on par or sometimes weaker than melee.

Somebody needs the axe of Dm-slaying...

Lapak
2007-03-19, 03:29 PM
Get yourself a Brilliant Energy quarterstaff and keep it in a Glove of Storing. More for flair than for numbers, but it's got style!

*Wizard claps his hands, causing a rod of scintillating light to spring into being in his hand.*

I suddenly realized that a Brilliant Energy quarterstaff would look sort of like Darth Maul's lightsaber. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

AmberVael
2007-03-19, 05:55 PM
Get yourself a Brilliant Energy quarterstaff and keep it in a Glove of Storing. More for flair than for numbers, but it's got style!

*Wizard claps his hands, causing a rod of scintillating light to spring into being in his hand.*

I suddenly realized that a Brilliant Energy quarterstaff would look sort of like Darth Maul's lightsaber. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.
>.>
<.<

MW Two-Bladed Sword - 700 GP
+1 and Brilliant Energy Enchantments - 144,000 GP
Disguise Kit - 50 GP
Looking like Darth Maul - Priceless

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-03-19, 06:06 PM
1) Pick up a single level of Fighter

2) Go Eldrich Knight (DMG 3.5 and SRD)

3) Pick up Faycraft Thistledown Padded Mithril Chain Shirt (or if you can't use non-core stuff, +1 Twilight Mithril Chain Shirt). Twilight is a +1 enchantment which reduces ASF by 10%. Faycraft and Thistledown padding both reduce ASF by 5%. Either way, you end up with a Chain Shirt (base armor bonus of +4, and can be enchanted further) with a max dex bonus of +6 (Dex of 22) and NO Arcane Spell Failure Chance. This obviates Mage Armor spell

So now you're a caster who can fight (all melee weapon proficencies for free) and decent armor.

Fizban
2007-03-19, 06:57 PM
Huzzah! First time I've ever seen anyone else use Thistledown Padded Feycraft Mithral Chainshirt, though I remember the thread when I intoduced you to the idea.

jlousivy
2007-03-19, 10:40 PM
i'd take elrich knight but is there anyway to become a gish without losing 2 CL? (more worried bout the spells per day than effective caster level)

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-03-20, 05:38 PM
i'd take elrich knight but is there anyway to become a gish without losing 2 CL? (more worried bout the spells per day than effective caster level)

Check out Abjurant Champion from Complete Mage. Full BAB full spellcasting PrC, but I can't remember the prerequsites, think it requires all melee weapon proficencies, so you're going to have to loose at least one spellcasting level from Fighter/Paladin/Barbarian/Ranger to qualify.