PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Warforged Warblade - Reincarnated

McClintock
2014-10-23, 03:23 PM
SO I have this idea for a character. He/she was one of the most skilled warblades ever to have existed, but he/she died. Once dead his/her soul was dragged through the hells for years in retribution for all the denizens of the evil he/she destroyed. Finally after nearly a millennia of being tortured, a descendant of his/her original mentor summons his/her soul into the body of a new created warforged. The character has all of his/her skills, but no memories. I'm thinking something like Geena Davis in "The Long Kiss Goodnight", as she starts to use her skills, she regains her memories. Mechanically this means that I shouldn't get to chose my maneuvers and stances, but how do I create a character without creating a character? Has anyone ever tried this before? Is this even a viable option for a character?

I was thinking of asking a playgrounder to build a character, based on my groups parameters, but then send me the information in individual emails that are zipped or something that I can only open when I get to the proper level. After level 10 or 12 he/she regains memories and from there I would be able to chose and or know the build.

Thoughts?

Ferronach
2014-10-23, 03:29 PM
Wouldn't the process of having to level from first level (even if you start higher, you character was theoretically a level 1 at some point) simulate the regaining of knowlege as you use your skills and are rewarded with experience which lets you level up and "remember" how to be a level x?

Troacctid
2014-10-23, 03:32 PM
In-universe, your character doesn't know what she's going to get. But you, as the player, can still choose for her.

Glimbur
2014-10-23, 03:34 PM
Warblades get to trade in lower level maneuvers for higher level ones as they level; I was about to suggest that you create your character as they were when they died and then work towards that but I remembered the trade-in thing. It might still be a helpful guide, but on the other hand that means creating a high level 3.5 character for fun. And that takes some time.

McClintock
2014-10-23, 03:36 PM
True, simply making a character from scratch and fluffing in the history is effectively similar, but think about not know what you are going to get next level. Not knowing who you were, and rediscovering it all again.

For instance as a favored soul, you start out in an "evil" campaign but all of your spell choices are "good guy" stuff. You start to like the evil stuff and come to find out you were once a chosen hero of Pelor or Heironeous. That would be challenge to RP and infinitely more enjoyable. Ever opened a b-day/x-mas present you already knew, but had to pretend to be surprised about?

Ferronach
2014-10-24, 12:55 PM
True, simply making a character from scratch and fluffing in the history is effectively similar, but think about not know what you are going to get next level. Not knowing who you were, and rediscovering it all again.

For instance as a favored soul, you start out in an "evil" campaign but all of your spell choices are "good guy" stuff. You start to like the evil stuff and come to find out you were once a chosen hero of Pelor or Heironeous. That would be challenge to RP and infinitely more enjoyable. Ever opened a b-day/x-mas present you already knew, but had to pretend to be surprised about?

True true. My current character is a warforged who lost all his memories (excluding his core mission) and his knowledge of any languages other than warforged battle commands. Over time he is regaining his memories and his ability to speak common. Lots of funny things have happened due to the "inability" to speak.... many thought he was a stupid robot too.... DM decided that once I had regained some of my common language, I could roll D% to see if I understood what was being said. Needless to say, failed rolls led to hilarity and a few potential TPK moments.

To make it easier on yourself, you could pick 4 possible feats/manoeuvres/etc. that you could take at that point in time. Assign each a number 1-4 and roll a D4?

McClintock
2014-10-24, 02:33 PM
True true. My current character is a warforged who lost all his memories (excluding his core mission) and his knowledge of any languages other than warforged battle commands. Over time he is regaining his memories and his ability to speak common. Lots of funny things have happened due to the "inability" to speak.... many thought he was a stupid robot too.... DM decided that once I had regained some of my common language, I could roll D% to see if I understood what was being said. Needless to say, failed rolls led to hilarity and a few potential TPK moments.

To make it easier on yourself, you could pick 4 possible feats/manoeuvres/etc. that you could take at that point in time. Assign each a number 1-4 and roll a D4?

Nice, I like this. This would work quite well, combining planning with randomness. Now I just need to get the DM to approve the idea.

Thank you all for the insight.

Ferronach
2014-10-24, 08:55 PM
Thank you all for the insight.

Glad I can help :)
Let me know how it works out?