PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [POW:E] Warpriest with Warpaths Build, [WIP]

Elricaltovilla
2014-10-23, 04:56 PM
With the advent of Warpaths, I find myself salivating at the opportunity to trade out my current Warpriest's sub-par blessings for the more useful and versatile Warpaths. Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen in my current game, so I figured I'd entertain myself by making a theoretical Warpriest I could use the Warpaths with.

The character is a Warpriest of Sarenrae, and is intended to be something like a battlefield medic. Towards that end, I selected Silver Crane and Golden Lion as his Warpath Disciplines, since they are the only disciplines with healing maneuvers.

CG Half-Orc Warpriest of Sarenrae
I like half-orcs, deal with it :P
Stats: 25 point buy
STR: 18 (16 +2 Racial)
DEX:12
CON:14
INT: 10
WIS:16
CHA: 8

Class Bonus: Weapon Focus (Earthbreaker)- Thanks to the Warpaths, as long as you use Weapon Focus to select a weapon, you can take disciplines that use that weapon group, even if it doesn't apply to your deity's favored weapon. The Earthbreaker is the highest base damage Hammer in the game, and Hammers are discipline weapons for both Silver Crane and Golden Lion.
1st: Combat Casting- Sure, fervor protects you from AoOs on most spells you'd suffer from, but there will probably come a time when you'll have to make a Concentration check, and this is some nice insurance.
3rd: Power Attack- its a staple of melee, especially two handed builds. Combined with Silver Crane's various accuracy boosting maneuvers, the penalty may as well not exist.
Bonus 3rd: Furious Focus- Most strikes are single attacks, so Furious Focus removes the power attack penalty without much issue.
5th: Selective Channel- If you want to use channel energy to heal in combat, this is pretty necessary.
Bonus 6th: Martial Charge- increased range and mobility for your strikes.
7th: Victorious Recovery- Warpaths don't have the best recovery mechanic, so extra ways to recover maneuvers is useful. Especially if you're using maneuvers to pull double duty for healing purposes.
9th: Discipline Mastery- Your two discipline skills are Diplomacy and Perception. Always taking 10 on those skills is extremely useful.
Bonus 9th: Discipline Focus- The bonus to damage isn't what this is really for, its the +2 to save DCs that I like.
11th: Extra Readied Maneuver- Since we're running out of alternate ways to recover maneuvers, let's try having more available from the get go.
Bonus 12th: Extra Channel- Can be taken to give 4 extra uses of Fervor, which can only be used to Channel Energy.

At this point I'm not sure what other feats to take. Am open to suggestions.

13th:
15th:
Bonus 15th:
17th:
Bonus 18th:
19th:

Sacred Weapon: I chose Chaotic Good as my alignment because I felt that it offered the best weapon enchantments for the Warpriest. Chaotic offers exclusive access to anarchic, which is pretty niche, and vicious which thanks to healing maneuvers and self heal via Fervor is a viable option for extra damage. Good offers ghost touch, great for pesky situations, and holy which is a perennial favorite for extra damage.
Fervor: This is healing and buffing in one package. It eats up a lot of swift actions, but is worth it for the gishing it offers.
Channel Energy: Just an offshoot of Fervor, but useful for healing allies in emergencies.
Sacred Armor: I'm not a big fan of this, I'd really only use it for the energy resistance effects.
Defined Warpath 4th: Warrior's Invocation- Its like a free use of Fervor's self buff whenever you recover maneuvers. Taking this early makes Full-round recovery a more viable option.
Defined Warpath 10th: Armaments of the Discipline- this helps mediate some of the swift action glut that you suffer from having to choose between Fervor, Sacred Weapon, Sacred Armor, Stances and Boosts.
Defined Warpath 16th: Advanced Study- Taking this as your last Defined Warpath means that it gives you access to the highest level maneuvers/stances you'll get out of it. Since it's free, it makes an already good feat even better.

Since I can spontaneously cast cure spells, they won't be included in the list.

Burning Disarm
Compel Hostility- This is important as its a "tanking" ability allowing me to draw fire away from my allies
Stunning Barrier- Catch an opponent off guard with a stun

Spell Research- Lead Blades- Earthbreakers have 2d6 base damage, so they scale really well with size increases. Lead Blades is a long lasting buff that can really help your damage with strikes.

Consecrate
Ironskin
Resist Energy
Spear of Purity

Bestow Curse- Its a powerful debuff to have access to, and can be really flavorful
Channel Vigor- get it for the haste effect
Deadly Juggernaut- Not that great but flavorful and thematic
Sacred Bond- lets you heal target from a distance
Searing Light- For killing undead
Symbol of Healing- for more healing

Blessing of Fervor- lots of options with this spell
Freedom of Movement- extremely important spell to have
Spiritual Ally- a decent summon

These are divided up by the level at which I took them. Any traded maneuvers will be noted.

Enduring Crane Strike- 1st level healing maneuver.
Hunting Party Strike- Teamwork Maneuver allows allies to attack your target.
Encouraging Roar Boost- +2 bonus to attack and damage for allies.

Silver Crane Waltz Stance- +4 Initiative and +2 to Reflex Saves and AC. Reflex is your low save, shoring it up is good.

Eyes of the Crane Stance- Boosts perception and allows use of Detect Evil at will.

Warning Roar- Negate an attack on an ally with a Diplomacy Check. Important to keep that skill maxed for the time being.

Blessed Pinions Strike- Does +2d6 damage. The Damage is sacred, so its increased by 50% against evil creatures. Trading out Encouraging Roar.

Silver Crane's Blessing Boost- Better Healing than Enduring Crane.
Stance of the Silver Crane- Free holy weapon property plus protection from evil. Offense and Defense in one.

Silver Knight's Blade Strike- +4d6 damage and heals ally. Trading out Enduring Crane

Direct the Pride Boost- Its White Raven Tactics.

Charge of the Battle Cat Strike- Charge attack with almost none of the drawbacks. +4d6 damage. Trading out Hunting Party Strike

Argent Knight's Banner- Charge attack with +8d6 damage, heals self and allies for 5d6 damage.
Stance of the Crane Knight Stance- Flight speed, DR 10/evil are too good to pass up.

Strategic Blow- +8d6 damage and ally with 10 ft. gains a move action. Trading out Blessed Pinions Strike.

Silver Crane's Mercy Boost- Successful attack heals 9d6 damage

Lion's Feast Boost- Killing enemies grants you and allies Temp HP. Trading out Silver Crane's Blessing

War Lion's Charge Strike- +14d6 damage and potential Stun.

Golden General's Victory Boost- Kill a foe and heal all allies equal to your IL. Trade out Charge of the Battle Cat.

Benediction of the Silver Crane Boost- Heal everybody in 30 ft. for 12d6 hit points
Diamond Wings of the Imperial Crane Stance- Bonus to Saves, Spell Resistance and healing if you resist an effect.

Alpha's Roar Boost- +4 to saves and DCs is a potent boost under the right circumstances. Trading out Strategic Blow.

Advanced Study:
Celestial Pinions Strike- +15d6 damage and hits incorporeal targets.
Orichalcum Charge Strike- +12d6 damage and send your foe running. Unfortunately I'm not in love with most of the 8th level maneuvers for Golden Lion.

Strike of Silver Exorcism Strike- Silver Crane's 9th level maneuver does huge damage to evil targets

Diamond Tipped Feathers Counter- Dr 30/Evil or end a negative effect you suffer from. Trading out Warning Roar.

Lord of the Pridelands Boost- Golden Lion's 9th level maneuver is a big boost for you and allies to almost all your relevant stats.

I don't feel a need to trade out a maneuver here. I have all the ones I want and none of the ones I don't.

Silver Crane Endurance Stance- Its fast healing 5. I'd have taken it sooner but I'll probably use it outside of combat at least to heal up.

Snowbluff
2014-10-23, 05:01 PM
Warpriests can't benefit from litany of righteousness. 0/10 :smalltongue:

Ssalarn
2014-10-23, 06:07 PM
Warpriests can't benefit from litany of righteousness. 0/10 :smalltongue:

What does that have to do with anything?

Elricaltovilla
2014-10-23, 06:13 PM
What does that have to do with anything?

I believe it was sarcasm. Especially since I looked up Litany of Righteousness and its terrible.

deuxhero
2014-10-23, 07:33 PM
How is a swift action spell that doubles damage for every attack that turn AND on AoOs till your next turn (and works for any allies that have a good aura) terrible? Not sure what was meant by can't benifit though. They DID give Warpriests the needed aura, and spell research is open for list expansion

Are traits open? Do you have a second one picked?

Power Attack at level 1 is illegal on a Warpriest as they don't have the needed BAB.

Your advanced study at the end is still limited to first/second level manuvers unless you are taking Silver Crane/Golden Lion ones thanks to the requirements.

Can't half-orcs take the human warpriest alternate favored class bonus? Move Victorious Recovery to the bonus 6th level and taking Toughness at 7th is objectively better than using it for HP.

On Symbol of Healing, it has the problem all Symbol spells do: They "functions as Symbol of Death" which says it effects "one or more creatures within 60 feet of the symbol (treat as a burst) whose combined total current hit points do not exceed 150" , and has a casting time of 10 mins (Fervor can't overwrite it as it doesn't target).

Snowbluff
2014-10-23, 08:59 PM
Yerp. Still, I'm partial to the cleric casting. You should look into Samsaran for adding the spell to your spell list. Additionally, I'll point out that your allies benefit, too.

Elricaltovilla
2014-10-24, 09:56 AM
How is a swift action spell that doubles damage for every attack that turn AND on AoOs till your next turn (and works for any allies that have a good aura) terrible? Not sure what was meant by can't benifit though. They DID give Warpriests the needed aura, and spell research is open for list expansion

Even accounting for the fact that I missed the doubled damage against evil targets, I'm still not a big fan of Litany spells. But I'll add it to the list.

Are traits open? Do you have a second one picked?

I suppose they're open, this is a hypothetical build. I'm not actually looking for help, just offering some ideas for how adding Warpaths to your game might turn out. A minor rant on that front is that I think Warpriests are one of the best suited classes for Warpaths. They get two blessings, which offer no spells and generally minor benefits. By trading them both out for warpaths, you get access to 9th level maneuvers from two different lists, giving you the variety of maneuvers available to clerics without the loss of domain spells.

Power Attack at level 1 is illegal on a Warpriest as they don't have the needed BAB.

Bleh. I've always houseruled that requirement away. I'll fix it.

Your advanced study at the end is still limited to first/second level manuvers unless you are taking Silver Crane/Golden Lion ones thanks to the requirements.

You may select two maneuvers or one stance from your class's list of disciplines and add them to your known maneuvers and stances. You must meet all prerequisites for the new maneuvers or stance to qualify for you to learn them. You may select maneuvers from a discipline that is not in class to you with this feat; doing so reduces the effectiveness of this feat to one maneuver or stance of your choice from an out of class discipline.

The feat doesn't list any reduction in maneuver level, only that you get 1 less maneuver. Still, without more uses of advanced study or Martial Training, you can't get anything above 3rd level because you won't meet the prerequisites. Its a moot point anyway because I was using it for more Golden Lion/Silver Crane.

Can't half-orcs take the human warpriest alternate favored class bonus? Move Victorious Recovery to the bonus 6th level and taking Toughness at 7th is objectively better than using it for HP.

I don't know if they can or not, that's not a rule I'm familiar with. If they can, it might be worthwhile otherwise its pointless.

On Symbol of Healing, it has the problem all Symbol spells do: They "functions as Symbol of Death" which says it effects "one or more creatures within 60 feet of the symbol (treat as a burst) whose combined total current hit points do not exceed 150" , and has a casting time of 10 mins (Fervor can't overwrite it as it doesn't target).

Too bad.