PDA

View Full Version : Bounded accuracy/skill and meaningful competence progression, buffs/debuffs.

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-10-23, 05:24 PM
I am very (very, very, very, very) disappointed with the new editions and the advantage/disadvantage mechanics (among other things) because they don't allow for meaningful progression, buffs and debuffs. The thing I like about DnD 3.5 the most was precisely that - meaningful progressions of most stats. On the other hand, 3.5 has the problem of complicated mechanics and number inflation from all those potential "plusses" characters can get from a bazillion sources - class abilities, items, magic, feats, circumstance bonuses and the like.

Now, I'd like to see if it is possible to get a 3.5-like sense of progression as characters gain more power but eschewing the number-inflation in favor of some system that uses bounded accuracy to keep numerical bonuses to a minimum. I've been tinkering with things a bit and I've come up with the following. Please tell me if it works;

Attack/Magic/Skill vs Defense/Save/Skill:
1) The originator of an attack, spell or skill rolls d20 + ability modifier + equipment bonus vs the target's 10 + ability modifier + equipment bonus (if any). Beating the defense is a normal success. Beating the defense by 10 or more is a critical success. A roll of 20 adds it to your bonus and you roll again while a roll of 1 subtracts 20 and you roll again. Alternatively, some DMs may prefer automatic success and failure on 20s and 1s.
2) Equipment bonuses never exceed 10 and often replace or restrict the ability modifiers. I.e. full plate is too heavy and clunky to allow much mobility and a halberd is too long and awkward to swing very fast. Similarly, a wizard relying on a staff as a focus to cast a spell rather than his own intellect and a paladin relying on a lead helmet to stop mental intrusion rather than his own spirit. Or a ruler relying on worn finery and adornments to project presence rather than their own charisma. Monsters might also get "equipment" bonuses to reflect their innate abilities and natural attacks. Those don't stack with manufactured equipment.
3) Ability score modifiers don't have any hard limitations, though usually a character's or monster's primary ability modifiers are +1 per level/CR, while secondary ability modifiers are usually +1 per 2 levels/CR.

Training and proficiency in a trait:
1) Every character or monster in a given trait has a level of proficiency/capability; untrained/mediocre, average/initiate, fair/apprentice, good/journeyman, great/master, superb/grandmaster, epic, legendary. Class abilities, feats and bonus proficiencies from a relevant attribute can permanently increase your total proficiency in a given area.
2) Separate areas of proficiency are each weapon group, each skill, each school of magic, each saving throw, close defense, melee defense and ranged defense.
3) Effects of proficiency are as follows. For each point of proficiency in your attack more than your opponent has in the relevant defense, you roll an additional d20 and take the best result; while not being able to do the impossible, highly trained attackers can do the improbable with alarming frequency. For each point in the relevant defense more than your opponent has in their attack, you force them to roll an additional d20 and take the worst result.
4) Skills, special attacks and magic often have their greatest results upon the weak. For example, diplomacy could persuade one of your equals only in minor matters, those weak-willed or less important than you in major matters and the masses of commoners you could direct like puppets. Similarly, a death-spell could easily kill a weak target if they fail to resist, heavily damage someone more robust and only slightly affect the extremely powerful.
In game terms, specific uses of a skill, spell or special effect require you to have a higher proficiency in it than the opponent has in a relevant defense. Otherwise, you must first wear them down with debuffs to reduce their effective proficiency, or buff yourself to increase your effective proficiency.

Buffs, debuffs and situational modifiers:
1) The majority of buffs, debuffs and conditions don't offer a numerical bonus or penalty to your roll; they increase or decrease your relevant proficiencies.
2) Many buffs, debuffs and conditions have a limit on how high a proficiency they can affect depending on their level. For example, the epic warrior has fought so many times in darkness or crippling pain that such conditions are no longer impediments to him, while the epic wizard would only gain trivial benefits from a sympathetic link to a victim or taking a slow, ritualistic approach to her spells.
3) Multiple different buffs, debuffs and conditions are applied by order of level from least to greatest, negatives of each level applied first.

To sum up, this system;
a) Keeps numerical modifiers to a usable minimum.
b) Makes ability scores important despite their "small" modifiers.
c) Allows proficient or prepared characters to rely less on luck of the roll.
d) Provides a system of proficiency levels more interesting than straight plusses.
e) Makes exceptionally competent characters less reliant on minor modifiers.
f) Provides a cap on how high a character's power can be buffed.

What do you guys think?

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-10-24, 01:48 PM
Hmm. I take it this system is too complicated and/or unusual?