PDA

View Full Version : More Dread Necro Questions!

Gallazius
2014-10-23, 08:25 PM
Player of mine is curious the best way to prestige from dread necro into elemental savant. Ideas?

OldTrees1
2014-10-23, 08:52 PM
That is a curious blend. What is the reason?

I would go with Arcane Disciple(some cleric domain with spells with energy tags) + the Eclectic Learning alternate class feature if necessary. Then you are set to go Dread Necromancer 6/Elemental Savant

Gallazius
2014-10-23, 09:30 PM
his reasoning - fire lich lol

Alex12
2014-10-23, 09:36 PM
That is a weird choice.
Of the elements available, Necromancy is most closely associated with cold (Kelgore's Grave Mist and Shivering Touch being the two spells that spring to mind), so probably go for that. Other than that, go with what OldTrees said.

EDIT: Hm. Fire lich? Walker in the Waste might be more useful.

Gallazius
2014-10-23, 10:11 PM
Well Liches are resistant to many things including electricity and cold. So if he becomes fire elemental savant he has resistant against 3/4 of the typical elements. Or atleast thats his reasoning. To go Ice lich would benefit him little.

Alex12
2014-10-23, 10:31 PM
Okay, fair enough I guess. Though really any spellcaster capable of lichdom would work, since DN doesn't go lich as a class feature until 20 (and even then, it's debatable if they actually get the lich template, or just get a working phylactery, become undead, and get called liches), so PrC would push that into epic levels.

OldTrees1
2014-10-24, 06:12 AM
Well Liches are resistant to many things including electricity and cold. So if he becomes fire elemental savant he has resistant against 3/4 of the typical elements. Or atleast thats his reasoning. To go Ice lich would benefit him little.

Ah now we go deeper.
cleric/Wizard Lich* with Energy Immunity(Fire)
cleric/Wizard Lich* with Energy Immunity(Acid) Elemental Savant(Fire)
Dread Necromancer 16 with Eclectic Learning(Energy Immunity)
Dread Necromancer 6 / Elemental Savant(Fire) 6 / Dread Necromancer +2 with Eclectic Learning(Energy Immunity) / Elemental Savant(Fire) +4
Use the online template class to gain the +4 la over time

Amphetryon
2014-10-24, 07:20 AM
Ah now we go deeper.
cleric/Wizard Lich* with Energy Immunity(Fire)
cleric/Wizard Lich* with Energy Immunity(Acid) Elemental Savant(Fire)
Dread Necromancer 16 with Eclectic Learning(Energy Immunity)
Dread Necromancer 6 / Elemental Savant(Fire) 6 / Dread Necromancer +2 with Eclectic Learning(Energy Immunity) / Elemental Savant(Fire) +4
Use the online template class to gain the +4 la over time

DN 8/Elemental Savant (Fire) 6/Master of Shrouds 6 could let him be a variation on the Uttercold Assault Necromancer who can run both hot and cold. This would require that, as DM, you handwave the 'divine only' spellcasting advancement of Master of Shrouds to allow DN casting to advance, or would require Southern Magician from Faerun.

OldTrees1
2014-10-24, 07:24 AM
DN 8/Elemental Savant (Fire) 6/Master of Shrouds 6 could let him be a variation on the Uttercold Assault Necromancer who can run both hot and cold. This would require that, as DM, you handwave the 'divine only' spellcasting advancement of Master of Shrouds to allow DN casting to advance, or would require Southern Magician from Faerun.

Why DN 8? The more I have looked into the class the less is obligatory about that level. Undead Mastery? Animation is the smallest pool and Leaders do not do their own animation. Negative Energy Burst +1/day? Not worth getting excited. Advanced Learning at cl 8? It is worth more delayed to higher levels.

Amphetryon
2014-10-24, 07:30 AM
Why DN 8? The more I have looked into the class the less is obligatory about that level. Undead Mastery? Animation is the smallest pool and Leaders do not do their own animation. Negative Energy Burst +1/day? Not worth getting excited. Advanced Learning at cl 8? It is worth more delayed to higher levels.

So you can take maximum advantage of the Deadly Chill feat (possibly Energy Subbed for fire damage), if desired. If not, there's no reason not to simply add or subtract levels of one of the other classes to the stub as desired.

ETA: In case it was not clear, the stub isn't necessarily presented in the order taken, merely in an easily legible order.

OldTrees1
2014-10-24, 07:43 AM
So you can take maximum advantage of the Deadly Chill feat (possibly Energy Subbed for fire damage), if desired. If not, there's no reason not to simply add or subtract levels of one of the other classes to the stub as desired.

ETA: In case it was not clear, the stub isn't necessarily presented in the order taken, merely in an easily legible order.
Ah, I am so used to writing builds in order taken that I forgot it is not universal.

Although I would hire/enslave/leadership the Deadly Chill feat rather than take it myself. Also I don't think Energy Substitution works on Deadly chill(although I would allow it myself).

Taveena
2014-10-24, 09:38 AM
If you want to use Fire Lich, use Arcane Disciple (Sand), Arcane Disciple (Thirst), and Southern Magician to qualify for Walker in the Waste - the capstone of which is turning into a Dry Lich. It's so fire-based that the temperature goes up 50 degrees /just by being near you/.

OldTrees1
2014-10-24, 10:00 AM
If you want to use Fire Lich, use Arcane Disciple (Sand), Arcane Disciple (Thirst), and Southern Magician to qualify for Walker in the Waste - the capstone of which is turning into a Dry Lich. It's so fire-based that the temperature goes up 50 degrees /just by being near you/.

Does not have Cold or Electric immunity (the player wants a fire lich to get 3/4 energy immunities)
Might not have Fire immunity(Dry lich has heat immunity.)

Taveena
2014-10-24, 10:12 AM
Plenty of ways to get immunity to fire damage. Hell, there's a spell that grants it. Still... yeah, I got nothing.