PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Martial Monk

2014-10-23, 08:28 PM
Long story short, I'm making a character for a 3.P pbp game; it's starting at ECL 5 Tristalt, and has some interesting houserules regarding feats. I'm taking a 2 lvl monk dip into the 3.5 monk, because 1) the flurry stacks with TWF, 2) the DM has said any time we get a feat of our choice from a list, we instead get two feats from that list, and 3) Martial Monk. The character focuses of chucking katanas at people.

What's important: I've already got a way to pounce-full attack with thrown weapons, and I do it in a way that makes every attack potentially a channel for Iaijutsu Focus (provided the enemy is FF). All stats are high, and I can get tons of attacks. What I'm looking for is some way to get higher attack bonuses, because I've got a pile of penalties. Fortunately, because of the DM's houserule, I can get 4 Martial Monk bonus feats in my 2 lvl dip.

And yes, before anybody suggests it, I'm aware of Weapon Supremacy. I'm looking for 3 more feats.

And...go!

EDIT: Yeah, this includes any worthwhile PF feats, too.

Val666
2014-10-23, 10:47 PM
Knowledge Devotion e.e?

Aegis013
2014-10-24, 02:54 AM
Martial Monk is locked into Fighter bonus feats, so Knowledge Devotion, while an excellent feat and great for improving your attack bonus, isn't available.

Weapon Focus, while inherently weak, is an option available to you that will increase your attack bonus. You can also double down with Greater Weapon Focus.
Chosen Foe from Drow of the Underdark gives a +1 insight to hit but -2 against non-chosen targets in the same vein as Dodge.
Point Blank Shot is will improve your attack bonus within 30ft.
Since you mentioned Flurry and TWF, Perfect Two Weapon Fighting could be a useful choice, but since it's not marked as a Fighter feat, you'd have to settle for Greater TWF.
Brutal Throw from Complete Adventurer switches your thrown weapon stat from Dex to Str, which is somewhat easier to stack to crazy high numbers.

Distant Shot will negate any range increment penalties.

Blind-Fight can be pretty nice if you expect the DM will utilize miss chance frequently. Though a more absurdly powerful option is the Uncanny Accuracy feat.

Honorable mention goes to:
Vexing Flanker would be good, except if you're throwing katanas it's unlikely you'll be flanking.

OldTrees1
2014-10-24, 06:57 AM
Robilar's Gambit
Karmic Strike surprisingly not a fighter feat
Boomerang Daze
Boomerang Ricochet

Aegis013
2014-10-25, 02:13 AM
Boomerang Daze
Boomerang Ricochet

If all the katanas you were chucking had the Aptitude enhancement, that could be quite powerful. If the build eventually utilizes Bloodstorm Blade's Lightning Ricochet feature this becomes a pretty interesting choice, although it doesn't function well until that class feature is obtained.