PDA

View Full Version : Need a good barbarian race, no LA.

Iron Angel
2014-10-24, 12:04 AM
The DM doesn't like LA races, so Goliath is out. Thats the one I wanted too. Not interested in orcs or half-orcs either. I want a non-vanilla race. ANy suggestions? Goliath was my first choice but thats out and it seems like all the best barbarian races have LA attached.

Forrestfire
2014-10-24, 12:08 AM
There is always Human, the catchall for Really Good LA +0. Warforged is pretty decent for a melee as well.

Troacctid
2014-10-24, 12:25 AM
Dusklings are pretty exotic, and they have access to both their own racial substitution levels and Fangshields substitution levels. They also make good Totem Ragers if you pick up a 2-level dip in Totemist.

MilesTiden
2014-10-24, 12:26 AM
Neanderthals are fun, and humans are of course the gold standard.

thefirecrack3r
2014-10-24, 01:04 AM
Wild Elf. +2 str -2 int. With all the normal elf benefit like no sleeping and resisting enchantment spells. Great fluff for a barbarian too.

Dread_Head
2014-10-24, 02:59 AM
Darfellan (SW) are a LA0 race with +2 str, -2 dex, a Bite attack dealing +1.5 str and a few other cool features, such as swim speed and echolocation. Basically they're killer whale people.

Gwendol
2014-10-24, 04:22 AM
Dwarf, Wood Elf, Lesser Azerblood, Bakemono (small), Lesser Duergar, Lesser Earth Genasi, Krynn Minotaur, etc

Here's a good resource: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1281.0

Know(Nothing)
2014-10-24, 04:25 AM
If Faerun is allowed, you can be a sort-of-Goliath by going Human and taking Jotunbrud at 1st level.

Sir Garanok
2014-10-24, 04:33 AM
Besides the all time classic(and above mentioned) human race
i would add another classic race,the dwarves.

OldTrees1
2014-10-24, 06:44 AM
Dragonborn(Wings)

Amphetryon
2014-10-24, 06:58 AM
Dragonborn (RotD) + Mongrelfolk (RoD) = CON monster without LA. Choose wings as OldTrees1 suggests, or a breath weapon for a different type of versatility that's tied to that CON score.

Arael666
2014-10-24, 08:27 AM
Did someone mention water orc? Cause I'm pretty sure someone mentioned water orc. Did someone say dragonborn water orc? I thought I heard someone say dragonborn water orc.

Divide by Zero
2014-10-24, 08:53 AM
Did someone mention water orc? Cause I'm pretty sure someone mentioned water orc. Did someone say dragonborn water orc? I thought I heard someone say dragonborn water orc.
Well, the OP kind of did:

Not interested in orcs or half-orcs either.

Arael666
2014-10-24, 09:45 AM
Well, the OP kind of did:

Yeah, that was the joke.

Seriously though, it's hard to find a better fit than a dragonborn water orc: +4 str, +4 con, no light sensitivity and no LA. The only other option on par listed here would be the mongrelfolk+dragonborn mentioned by Amphetryon, and that's just because it would get no penalties do mental stats.

Inevitability
2014-10-24, 09:45 AM
How about some setting races? Krynn Minotaur or Earth Genasi both give bonuses to the stats you like.

Or be a completely random barbarian who uses dexterity and show the world the dire glory of a Whisper Gnome Barbarian. :smalltongue:

OldTrees1
2014-10-24, 10:01 AM
Yeah, that was the joke.

Seriously though, it's hard to find a better fit than a dragonborn water orc: +4 str, +4 con, no light sensitivity and no LA. The only other option on par listed here would be the mongrelfolk+dragonborn mentioned by Amphetryon, and that's just because it would get no penalties do mental stats.

Dragonborn(Wings) Warforged

Taveena
2014-10-24, 10:24 AM
The Wild template is always a nice thing to throw on. +2 str, -2 int, -2 cha, no racial skill bonuses or SLAs, but a bonus skill point at each level, 5 ft extra move speed,

PsychoBear
2014-10-24, 11:35 AM
Orc. 'nuf said.

Gnome Alone
2014-10-24, 11:44 AM
Orc. 'nuf said.

Too much said, really. OP sez no orcs, OP should not get no orcs.

Seconding Wild Elves, partially because it's solid and partially because I love them anyways. Cool take on pointy-ear-men if you ask me.

PsychoBear
2014-10-24, 11:52 AM
Too much said, really. OP sez no orcs, OP should not get no orcs.

Seconding Wild Elves, partially because it's solid and partially because I love them anyways. Cool take on pointy-ear-men if you ask me.

Oops, didn't see non-vanilla races. Disregard.

infomatic
2014-10-24, 11:59 AM
Seconding Human with Jotunbrud feat. It's a simplified Goliath.

Nezumi (OA) is another option. Base 40 ft. speed, +2con/-2 cha, can take scent as a feat.

Nicrosil
2014-10-24, 01:30 PM
Proto-Creature template to a Krynn Minotaur should give an ungodly Str bonus. Going to use that and a sprinkle of cheese for a BBEG in an upcoming campaign :D

ShurikVch
2014-10-24, 02:38 PM
Dwarf subraces from UA - Aquatic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#aquaticDwarves), Arctic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#arcticDwarves), and Earth (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#earthDwarves) - give +2 to both Str and Con for no extra LA

From the Dragon magazine:

Feral-Kind Cyclopean (Dr#323, p.92): +2 on Str and Con, -2 on Int and Dex, Darkvision 60, and +1 Insight bonus to Initiative and Reflex

Korobokuru (Dr#318, 3.5 update for OA) +2 Str, +4 Con

Are you OK with a non-1st party sources?

Ratfolk (Kingdoms of Kalamar) +2 Str, +6 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Int and Cha. Also, scent and low-light vision

Warcraft the RPG:
Murloc - +4 Dex and Con, +2 Wis; Amphibious, Swim 40, Darkvision 60, +2 natural AC. Dounside: doesn't speak Common.
Tuskarr - +2 on Str, Con, and Wis; Darkvision 60, +1 natural AC, and +8 racial on Swim checks
Quilboar - Monstrous Humanoid; +2 on Str and Dex, +4 Con, -2 to all mental stats; Darkvision 120, +1 natural AC

Bluydee
2014-10-24, 04:06 PM
Dwarf subraces from UA - Aquatic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#aquaticDwarves), Arctic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#arcticDwarves), and Earth (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#earthDwarves) - give +2 to both Str and Con for no extra LA

Asherati (Sandsctorm) give +2 to all physical stats, -2 to all mental ones, and can swim in sand

From the Dragon magazine:

Feral-Kind Cyclopean (Dr#323, p.92): +2 on Str and Con, -2 on Int and Dex, Darkvision 60, and +1 Insight bonus to Initiative and Reflex

Korobokuru (Dr#318, 3.5 update for OA) +2 Str, +4 Con

Are you OK with a non-1st party sources?

Ratfolk (Kingdoms of Kalamar) +2 Str, +6 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Int and Cha. Also, scent and low-light vision

Warcraft the RPG:
Murloc - +4 Dex and Con, +2 Wis; Amphibious, Swim 40, Darkvision 60, +2 natural AC. Dounside: doesn't speak Common.
Tuskarr - +2 on Str, Con, and Wis; Darkvision 60, +1 natural AC, and +8 racial on Swim checks
Quilboar - Monstrous Humanoid; +2 on Str and Sex, +4 Con, -2 to all mental stats; Darkvision 120, +1 natural AC

Asherati don't give any ability modifiers. And I never knew Quillboars get +2 sex. I'll keep that in mind the next time I have a solo campaign with my girlfriend.

ShurikVch
2014-10-24, 04:22 PM
Asherati don't give any ability modifiers. Sorry. I checked their stats in a Chapter 6, and forget to see it in Chapter 2

And I never knew Quillboars get +2 sex. I'll keep that in mind the next time I have a solo campaign with my girlfriend. :smallredface::smallsigh::smallbiggrin:

Gnome Alone
2014-10-24, 04:55 PM
Wild Elf. +2 str -2 int. With all the normal elf benefit like no sleeping and resisting enchantment spells. Great fluff for a barbarian too.

Waaaaait a minute, Wild Elves are +2 Dex, -2 Int. Are you thinking of Wood Elves, who've got +2 Str & Dex, -2 Int and Con? Either one still seems decent for a barbarian to me. Though those environmental dwarf-y ones are probably better, strictly speaking.

Amphetryon
2014-10-24, 05:08 PM
Waaaaait a minute, Wild Elves are +2 Dex, -2 Int. Are you thinking of Wood Elves, who've got +2 Str & Dex, -2 Int and Con? Either one still seems decent for a barbarian to me. Though those environmental dwarf-y ones are probably better, strictly speaking.

Personally, I'd go with Snow Elves or Painted Elves, depending on which mental stat was less important to me.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-10-24, 06:24 PM
It's already been mentioned a few times, but I think it's worth repeating that Dragonborn (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060105b&page=1) is a strong choice for a high Con character. You can spend a feat to get wings, so go with the heart aspect and pick up the feat Entangling Exhalation. It's also already been said that this goes good on a Water Orc (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#racesOfWater), you'll only keep the size/type/subtypes, ability score adjustments, and movement modes and speeds including swim, everything else is replaced by Dragonborn traits.

Gnome Alone
2014-10-24, 06:27 PM
Personally, I'd go with Snow Elves or Painted Elves, depending on which mental stat was less important to me.

Both are pretty cool, but aren't Painted Elves mechanically identical to Wild Elves except for favored class? (And who even does multi-classing penalties? Nobody, that's who.) Is it just a flavor thing?

Amphetryon
2014-10-24, 06:29 PM
Both are pretty cool, but aren't Painted Elves mechanically identical to Wild Elves except for favored class? (And who even does multi-classing penalties? Nobody, that's who.) Is it just a flavor thing?

(My previous DM, that's who. . . so my experiences are - again - atypical)

OldTrees1
2014-10-24, 07:54 PM
It's already been mentioned a few times, but I think it's worth repeating that Dragonborn (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060105b&page=1) is a strong choice for a high Con character. You can spend a feat to get wings, so go with the heart aspect and pick up the feat Entangling Exhalation. It's also already been said that this goes good on a Water Orc (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#racesOfWater), you'll only keep the size/type/subtypes, ability score adjustments, and movement modes and speeds including swim, everything else is replaced by Dragonborn traits.

2 feats to get Wings (you need Improved Dragon Wings).

Gnome Alone
2014-10-24, 10:16 PM
(My previous DM, that's who. . . so my experiences are - again - atypical)

Y'know, other folk here hate rolling for stats, which I like, or hate critical failure rules with a purple passion, which to me they're just kinda annoying; I think it's actually penalizing multi-classing that I hate worse than anything. To me, it translates as "Please, oh please won't you play a full caster?" with a side of order of melee-can't-have-nice-things and can't-conceive-of-classes-as-metagame-constructs.

The fact that it's actually the default, core rule might have some weight... if the core classes were within a hundred miles of being balanced against each other.