PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated Wright?

Solace of Tides
2014-10-24, 04:52 AM
I'm fairly new to homunculi, and have only recently experimented with an artificer.

Do all Dedicated Wright look the same? Do they all have that blobby humanoid appearance do they have access to the wide range of possibilities other homunculi do?

Inevitability
2014-10-24, 09:37 AM
Ask your DM.

I myself would allow someone to refluff his or her DW. After all, the thing's going to be crafting in a corner 99% of the time anyway, so the few scenes it actually is important, you might as well have it be nice to look at.

Petrocorus
2014-10-24, 03:05 PM
They are all made with Craft: Pottery, so they all have the same kind of basic clayish outlook.
Now, the DC to make them is only 14. As an Artificer, with only 1 in C: Pottery, you should do it on a take 10, and you probably can reach the DC for a masterwork job. Which mean that the exact appearance, face features, etc, depend on you and your ability to craft them.
It's probably possible to give them a good look, and nothing say you cannot paint them.
I also believe that any reasonable DM would not really mind if you stretch a bit the rule as long as it doesn't give any mechanically effect.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-10-25, 09:07 PM
I've always ruled that, since it's an animated clay sculpture, it looks however the crafter wants it to look, within the limits of what can be reasonably mapped to the stat-block.

I get a lot of dedicated wrights looking like tiny dwarves or statuettes of their masters.

Inevitability
2014-10-26, 12:25 AM
In the worst case, create a mal in the shape you want your wright to be, Stone to Flesh the DW and wait until it's all rotten and jelly-like, then put it in the mal and cast Flesh to Stone.

Phelix-Mu
2014-10-26, 01:34 AM
As a DM, this generally strikes me as a matter of "if they all looked the same, that would be boring." And the game shouldn't be boring. Since it has zero impact on what it does mechanically, I'd probably entertain some pretty exotic options if a player pitched them well. I like thematic stuff that helps with characterization, and if you want a shikikami made of paper that helps you make stuff, go for it. Want a k'nex-like thing? Go for it. Want a blob of synthetic ooze that assimilates materials, dissolves them, and then makes them condensate in the proper arrangement for the finished product? GO FOR IT.

Fluff is the cheapest fun that the game has to offer, and I want it to be as varied and adaptable as necessary.

Rijan_Sai
2014-10-28, 05:01 PM
As a DM, this generally strikes me as a matter of "if they all looked the same, that would be boring." And the game shouldn't be boring. Since it has zero impact on what it does mechanically, I'd probably entertain some pretty exotic options if a player pitched them well. I like thematic stuff that helps with characterization, and if you want a shikikami made of paper that helps you make stuff, go for it. Want a k'nex-like thing? Go for it. Want a blob of synthetic ooze that assimilates materials, dissolves them, and then makes them condensate in the proper arrangement for the finished product? GO FOR IT.

Fluff is the cheapest fun that the game has to offer, and I want it to be as varied and adaptable as necessary.

This...so musch this! Especially that!!!
Thank you so much for that visual! I now have an idea of what my future DW is going to be! :smallbiggrin: