PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Hoard of the Dragon Queen help! [spoilers]

Inevitability
2014-10-24, 07:59 AM
I'll be running HotDQ tomorrow, but I feel the first part (where Greenest is under attack) is a little unvaried. The enemies can all be put into three broad categories: kobolds, cultists, and drakes.

Since the book itself says that most of those raiders are only mercenaries, what monsters could I add in here to make it more varied? I have access to all of the PDF's, the MM, and the HotDQ book itself. The characters will be 1st-level during the raid, so please don't go above CR 1.

If it matters, the party will likely consist of two wizards, a monk, and a paladin.

All help is appreciated, and thanks in advance! :smallsmile:

INDYSTAR188
2014-10-24, 08:15 AM
I'll be running HotDQ tomorrow, but I feel the first part (where Greenest is under attack) is a little unvaried. The enemies can all be put into three broad categories: kobolds, cultists, and drakes.

Since the book itself says that most of those raiders are only mercenaries, what monsters could I add in here to make it more varied? I have access to all of the PDF's, the MM, and the HotDQ book itself. The characters will be 1st-level during the raid, so please don't go above CR 1.

If it matters, the party will likely consist of two wizards, a monk, and a paladin.

All help is appreciated, and thanks in advance! :smallsmile:

What about Goblins/Hobgoblins? Low CR and could be mercenaries.

Madfellow
2014-10-24, 09:02 AM
Maybe add in a solo encounter against a guard drake? You might have to be careful with that one though, due to its high damage output.

Inevitability
2014-10-24, 09:19 AM
What about Goblins/Hobgoblins? Low CR and could be mercenaries.

Hm... Nice one. Will consider it.

Maybe add in a solo encounter against a guard drake? You might have to be careful with that one though, due to its high damage output.

I prefer to keep it within the CR guidelines. The players are new (with one never having played D&D at all) so I don't like the idea of dropping a Deadly+ encounter on them. Maybe if they have a huge terrain advantage.

Cibulan
2014-10-24, 09:19 AM
In the back of the MM there are guards, acolytes, etc. that can be used as stand ins for the cultists as the mercenaries.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2014-10-24, 09:23 AM
Useful Creatures:
Bandit (CR 1/8, MM p. 343)
Mastiff (CR 1/8, MM p. 332)
Tribal Warrior (CR 1/8, MM p. 350)

Acolyte (CR 1/4, MM p. 342)
Drow (CR 1/4, MM p. 128)
Goblin (CR 1/4, MM p. 166)
Kenku (CR 1/4, MM p. 194)
Winged Kobold (CR 1/4, MM p. 195)
Wolf (CR 1/4, MM p. 341)

Gnoll (CR 1/2, MM p.163)
Hobgoblin (CR 1/2, MM p.186)
Lizardfolk (CR 1/2, MM p.204)
Orc (CR 1/2, MM p.246)
Scout (CR 1/2, MM p.349)
Thug (CR 1/2, MM p.350)

Re-fluff as needed.

Inevitability
2014-10-24, 09:34 AM
In the back of the MM there are guards, acolytes, etc. that can be used as stand ins for the cultists as the mercenaries.

I know. I'll certainly use some of these.

Useful Creatures:
Bandit (CR 1/8, MM p. 343)
Mastiff (CR 1/8, MM p. 332)
Tribal Warrior (CR 1/8, MM p. 350)

Acolyte (CR 1/4, MM p. 342)
Drow (CR 1/4, MM p. 128)
Goblin (CR 1/4, MM p. 166)
Kenku (CR 1/4, MM p. 194)
Winged Kobold (CR 1/4, MM p. 195)
Wolf (CR 1/4, MM p. 341)

Gnoll (CR 1/2, MM p.163)
Hobgoblin (CR 1/2, MM p.186)
Lizardfolk (CR 1/2, MM p.204)
Orc (CR 1/2, MM p.246)
Scout (CR 1/2, MM p.349)
Thug (CR 1/2, MM p.350)

Re-fluff as needed.

Thanks a lot! This really helps.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2014-10-24, 09:37 AM
Thanks a lot! This really helps.

No problemo :smallsmile:

cobaltstarfire
2014-10-24, 10:23 AM
Hm... Nice one. Will consider it.

I prefer to keep it within the CR guidelines. The players are new (with one never having played D&D at all) so I don't like the idea of dropping a Deadly+ encounter on them. Maybe if they have a huge terrain advantage.

I'd say that it's really brutal so be careful...but then again our GM had made up the kobolds stats on the fly because he didn't know about the supplement or have the MM yet....and they were way overpowered.

But still you may want to comb over the encounters just in case, or be ready to fudge/readjust on the fly, because there are many baddies in each fight. Towards the end my party actually negotiated with the mercenaries to basically go away and leave us alone.

Inevitability
2014-10-24, 03:09 PM
But still you may want to comb over the encounters just in case, or be ready to fudge/readjust on the fly, because there are many baddies in each fight. Towards the end my party actually negotiated with the mercenaries to basically go away and leave us alone.

Yes, I already noticed that. I'll try to go with the suggested stats at first, but I will be sure to keep alternative fight makeups handy.

And I got a new idea for a deliciously evil monster to use: a giant frog refluffed as a gluttonous dragon. Mounted by a kobold for that extra bit of style.

Freelance GM
2014-10-25, 07:31 PM
The players are new (with one never having played D&D at all) so I don't like the idea of dropping a Deadly+ encounter on them.

I've been DM'ing this for Encounters, and it's like it was designed for killing players.

You've probably already read this, but some genius thought it would be funny to put a bunch of level 1's against an Adult Blue Dragon as one of the Greenest encounters, and unless you make it very clear that the PC's cannot possibly survive, it's a TPK waiting to happen. A player who makes their save against its Breath Attack will still be killed instantly.

Same goes for anything involving Langdedrosa Cyanwrath. The Duel is almost guaranteed to get a player sent into negatives, if they aren't insta-killed. Also, the actual encounter with him in Episode 3 got my players TPK'd.

So, my advice would be to read the adventure closely, and edit where you feel you need to.

As far as your enemies problem, part of the thing with the Cult of the Dragon is that it is mostly humans, instead of a rampaging horde of orcs and goblins. The Kobolds are there because they also worship dragons. Sure, you can say that maybe the Cultists bullied/bribed some Goblins into helping, but I feel like the way to stay truest to the theme is to add a few more Acolytes into the mix for some tactical variety, or throw in some non-human cultists. I think there was a blurb about that somewhere, but some Half-Orc cultists could give the players a surprise, and some greedier, evil-er dwarves could be interesting.

Madfellow
2014-10-25, 08:53 PM
Same goes for anything involving Langdedrosa Cyanwrath. The Duel is almost guaranteed to get a player sent into negatives, if they aren't insta-killed. Also, the actual encounter with him in Episode 3 got my players TPK'd.

Yeah, my advice would be to just not include Cyanwrath at all. Don't even mention his name. For the first three adventures I ran, any time Cyanwrath would show up I replaced him with Frulam Mondath (CR 2). And there were no one-on-one duels; I let the whole party fight her at once.

On a somewhat related note, I also excluded Rezmir from the picture. You'll notice that for the first seven adventures she does literally nothing except run away. She's dead weight, at least until Adventure 8 when she serves as the commander on the floating castle.

Inevitability
2014-10-26, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the help. The game's not until today (got moved) so I'll be sure to use it in today's session.

Logosloki
2014-10-26, 04:30 AM
If you are running encounters you may want to re-read cyanwrath. It only takes one death-roll from the player and also that there is a team of medics with +4 bonused healers kits on standby and the governor has two potions of healing that he gives to the player who fronts up. Cyanwrath only lands the killing blow if you opt ot of the combat and let the NPC go for it. The cyanwrath encounter is made for a player to experience near death, not the feel of re-rolling.

some guy
2014-10-26, 06:41 AM
Kobolds mounted on pteradons!

Madfellow
2014-10-26, 07:23 AM
The cyanwrath encounter is made for a player to experience near death.

That's still not something I want to force on my players, especially not in the FIRST adventure.

Besides, even without Cyanwrath one of my players' characters almost died--to kobolds. That was a case of poor tactics on his part, not a railroading exercise. It was a learning experience, and that's what I think a near-death experience should be for a PC. It shouldn't be a blue brick wall standing in front of them with a greatsword demanding a fight.

And I don't want you to feel like all of this is directed at you. I'm just kinda venting my frustrations with the module out in the open.

cobaltstarfire
2014-10-26, 10:25 AM
I thought Cyanwrath was pretty fun to be honest. I think you should keep him in, and just reinforce that there are medics on standby if your player who takes him on falls. It can be a good lesson for your players, and one maybe you should discuss with them OOC. Not every monster is one you're supposed to be able to grind into a pulp.

Although he was really underwhelming the second time we met him, warlock blinded him and from there mr half dragon was toast. (later one of the barbs picked up that bowl of boiling acid and threw it onto the leftover humans). I wonder what the purpose of that acid was...

Edit: PS there's also a Roper later on...it's a good opportunity to remind your players that they don't have to fight/kill everything. My party gave it meat and let it have the dragon eggs for a meal. If when you're getting close to there and your players seem like the sort who just want to kill everything, you may consider taking out the roper completely.

Envyus
2014-10-26, 11:52 AM
Rezmir is fine as well. She tends to stay out of sight but it is still good for the players to know who the main target is.

INDYSTAR188
2014-10-26, 05:45 PM
Rezmir is fine as well. She tends to stay out of sight but it is still good for the players to know who the main target is.

I'm going to give my players a bond from the appendix in the book when we play. One of them is a hit list that she's on. I think that's a pretty cool way to introduce her too.

Some of the encounters look tough, especially the first episode. I think I'm going to keep the Cyanwrath and dragon encounters in but there will be a lot of me asking, 'are you sure?'

Madfellow
2014-10-26, 06:08 PM
I thought Cyanwrath was pretty fun to be honest. I think you should keep him in, and just reinforce that there are medics on standby if your player who takes him on falls. It can be a good lesson for your players, and one maybe you should discuss with them OOC. Not every monster is one you're supposed to be able to grind into a pulp.

Although he was really underwhelming the second time we met him, warlock blinded him and from there mr half dragon was toast. (later one of the barbs picked up that bowl of boiling acid and threw it onto the leftover humans). I wonder what the purpose of that acid was...

Edit: PS there's also a Roper later on...it's a good opportunity to remind your players that they don't have to fight/kill everything. My party gave it meat and let it have the dragon eggs for a meal. If when you're getting close to there and your players seem like the sort who just want to kill everything, you may consider taking out the roper completely.

My group actually just left the Greenfields for Baldur's Gate in the last session. Things seem to be going really well so far; Mondath was a fun first boss, and the party enjoyed finally locking her away. I've heard other people say that the Cyanwrath encounter can be fun, but it still feels like the kind of trick I don't want to pull on my players. Besides, Mondath and the blue dragon did a fine enough job of telegraphing to them, "You guys aren't badasses yet; you need to get stronger."

The bowl of acid must have been something your GM added in, because it's not in the book. There is an acid trap, though, that's supposed to be triggered by the treasure chest in that room.

And I left the roper out too, for the same reason I left out Cyanwrath.

cobaltstarfire
2014-10-26, 08:22 PM
Hmm, ours took the treasure chest out, but we don't have anyone in our party who can deal with traps either.

I think I'd probably decide to keep the roper or not completely dependent on if the players have a way to be warned or hinted at it. Like our warlock sent his imp ahead, and we saw the kobolds feeding it rotten meat, so we lured the kobolds, and then bribed the roper. (The dm played it like an English gentleman or something).

But if the party doesn't have any warning or hints, and it likes to just kill everything it runs into yeah...might want to take it out. (I suppose the same could apply to the likes of Cyanwrath)

We haven't run into a blue dragon yet though, I should probably stop poking into this thread lest I spoil myself to a part of the campaign we haven't completed.

AgentPaper
2014-10-26, 09:31 PM
We haven't run into a blue dragon yet though, I should probably stop poking into this thread lest I spoil myself to a part of the campaign we haven't completed.

If you haven't, then that means that the DM removed it. It's introduced in literally the first description of the attack on Greenfields, flying around setting homes on fire. The "encounter" is you shooting at it from atop the castle until it gets annoyed and flies away (it's not especially motivated).

cobaltstarfire
2014-10-27, 09:54 AM
Oh we saw him...but we never had to fight him or anything.

Madfellow
2014-10-27, 10:10 AM
Oh we saw him...but we never had to fight him or anything.

Be glad; he's CR 16. :smalleek: You're not supposed to fight him. You're supposed to fear him.

The J Pizzel
2014-10-27, 02:18 PM
I know I'm late to the conversation, but I thought I'd weight in. First let me say, I got a big 6 man group of veteran players and very good critical thinkers....so I have no problem challenging them.

The first half of Greenest was cookie cutter, make it through town killing bad guys and saving townsfolk. They role-played one or two encounters and killed others. Then they did the tunnel, then the temple (I threw in some weak cure potions to help out). When they got back to the keep they were alerted the dragon was making a flyby. The wizzie asked if there were any siege weapons on top the keep. I told him there was an old broken down ballista that clearly hadn't seen use in 50+ years. 1 mending spell later and someone fires a 3d10 spear bold at the big blue. They didn't even come close to hitting him, but that was all the motivation he needed to get leave.

The second session was where I experimented, mainly because I got MM between them. I could already tell my players were getting bored with kobolds, acolytes and mercenaries. So at the mill, I threw in a Cockatrice and a Smoke Mephit. That got their attention. They're still talking about that fight a week later.

As for Cyanwrath, one of my players gave me a fantastic background. He's a pally, who doesn't know he's a pally. His family was wiped out by a rival family and he has complete vengeance in his heart, but he's still a nice guy. He told me he wants to become a pally of vengeance, but wants to be a slow transformation and that his character does't even actually worship a god, right now. As a DM I knew my players, and I knew he'd accept the challenge.

So, Cyanwrath wiped the floor with his ass. Sent him to -x HP with his breath-weapon, gave him a sexy "this is a good death" speech in his ears and he died. A few hours later a temple nurse ran out of the infirmary screaming and fainted. They all run in their to see him, wide awake, living, hair burnt off and skin burnt black. /end session.

Then I sent the player a lengthy email about his crazy dreams and hallucinations...and voila. He's now a paladin of Tempus.