PDA

View Full Version : Spike Spiegel monk

SliceandDiceKid
2014-10-24, 11:41 AM
The Title. Can y'all help me build him? I've rolled stats for human variant.
9/18/14/12/16/13

What feat should I go with?
I'm fairly ignorant of Jeet Kune Do, but spike has always been one of my favorite characters. I had a rogue dart build lined up, but this idea popped into my head and now I'm set on the idea.

Also I'm pretty sure I'd have to go Way of the Open Hand.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2014-10-24, 11:48 AM
You'll need some kind of ranged weapon proficiency I think, like hand-crossbow. Drow probably isn't the best monk race, but you could make it work. Never-mind, you're variant human. You could dip rogue or ranger. Or you could skip/ignore that aspect of the character since you'd be losing out on your monk-weapons feature when using a ranged weapon.

MaxWilson
2014-10-24, 11:54 AM
Ah. I thought this was going to be a thread about grappling enemies and spike-dragging them for damage every turn equal to your move, e.g. 200+ for a monk with Haste from a friendly wizard. (Unfortunately I can't figure out how to make it work without taking equal damage yourself, or possibly half damage with resistances.)

SliceandDiceKid
2014-10-24, 11:55 AM
You'll need some kind of ranged weapon proficiency I think, like hand-crossbow. Drow probably isn't the best monk race, but you could make it work. Never-mind, you're variant human. You could dip rogue or ranger. Or you could skip/ignore that aspect of the character since you'd be losing out on your monk-weapons feature when using a ranged weapon.

I was planning on using darts, just to avoid wrecking viability. Then again, idk how viable monk is...

GWJ_DanyBoy
2014-10-24, 12:05 PM
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Monk/Rogue combo. Spike was a skilled investigator, pilot, former gangster as well as an expert martial-artist. Take Rogue 5 for uncanny dodge and 3d6 sneak attack and the rest in Monk. You lose an ability increase though, so maybe a different cut-off point is better.