PDA

View Full Version : Reach weapons, Touch spells and attack actions.

Albions_Angel
2014-10-24, 11:45 AM
Hi there

Quick premise.

Assume someone at your table is playing a level 1 duskblade. No arcane channeling (yet).

They carry a Guisarme. They are fighting a single opponant who does not have reach. Ie, they are 10 feet away and not threatening the player.

Player casts Shocking Grasp, a standard action.

Now, if he was 5 feet away, he casts and makes the touch attack in the same action, all perfectly legal, but he also provokes. As he is 10 feet away, the LOGICAL thing to do is cast (1 standard action) 5' step and touch. But I have a sneaking suspicion that is not allowed. He is basically interrupting the action in which shocking grasp is cast to take a 5 foot step.

Now, I am asking because my head is telling me that this should be possible thematically. I mean you cast the damn thing and it sits on your hand, surely a step forward before you move your hand towards your enemy is allowed, but then again when was the last time that DnD actually made sense?

So help please. If I am 10 feet away from an enemy, and I wish to cast shocking grasp, 5' step and make the attack, would I have to wait another full round and split the action across 2 initiatives? Or is that a valid thing to do in one round?

KillianHawkeye
2014-10-24, 11:59 AM
This is one of the most overlooked rules, and the answer can be found in the combat chapter. You can, assuming a casting time of one standard action, take an entire move action between casting the spell and making the free touch attack.

Many spells have a range of touch. To use these spells, you cast the spell and then touch the subject, either in the same round or any time later. In the same round that you cast the spell, you may also touch (or attempt to touch) the target. You may take your move before casting the spell, after touching the target, or between casting the spell and touching the target. You can automatically touch one friend or use the spell on yourself, but to touch an opponent, you must succeed on an attack roll.

Albions_Angel
2014-10-24, 12:13 PM
Great! Just what I wanted. Until I get channeling, I was planning to colour spray anything and just coup de gras, but on the off chance I get into a beating match, dealing negative energy with the chance of strength damage without provoking is certainly an option :D

KillianHawkeye
2014-10-24, 12:15 PM
In a pinch, don't forget that you can also cast on the defensive. Keep that Concentration skill max'd out!

Albions_Angel
2014-10-24, 12:48 PM
Keep that Concentration skill max'd out!

Of course! What kind of front line fighter/caster would I be if that wasnt stupidly high. Maxed that and 4 of the Knowledges (arcana, nature, local and religion I think will cover most encounters) as I plan to take knowledge devotion pretty soon (3rd level feat). Split my last 4 (the bonus 4 from being human) into Spellcraft (who knows, I might need it in a part full of casters *rolls eyes*) and Dungeoneering (because I dont think I have ever faced anything that required it but hey, its can fuel KnowDev on that one random encounter we will get if I dont take it).

I dont plan on climbing, walking across ice, jumping or swimming and just screw everything else. I may drop some points into craft Poison when I get near level 13 for Poison Spell. But meh, I doubt we will have time to get past 8th.