PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Well, they finally did it.

Beowulf DW
2014-10-24, 01:35 PM
From Advanced Class Origins:

Mad Magic (Combat)
Magic is in your blood, allowing you to cast spells no
matter how furious you become.
Prerequisite: Bloodrage class feature or perfect clarity
rage power.
Benefit: You can cast spells from any class that grants
you spells while in a bloodrage, and you keep your rage
benef its when using moment of clarity during a rage.
If you have the greater bloodrage class feature, you also
gain a +1 bonus to the save DCs of spells you cast while
in a bloodrage.

Do you know what this means? Rage Prophet is suddenly slightly more viable. Barbarian Eldritch Knights are suddenly far more deadly. And the Bloodrager versions of these PrCs are even better:smallbiggrin:.

Let the Rage-Gishing commence!

Blackhawk748
2014-10-24, 01:46 PM
From Advanced Class Origins:

Do you know what this means? Rage Prophet is suddenly slightly more viable. Barbarian Eldritch Knights are suddenly far more deadly. And the Bloodrager versions of these PrCs are even better:smallbiggrin:.

Let the Rage-Gishing commence!

Oh so many DBZ jokes are waiting to be made.

Beowulf DW
2014-10-24, 03:47 PM
I'll start:

Shouting [verbal components] makes you stronger!

deuxhero
2014-10-24, 04:09 PM
What IS ACGO?

Doesn't Bloodrage/Rage transparency only work one way? Why even allow Perfect Clarity to qualify?

Ssalarn
2014-10-24, 04:30 PM
What IS ACGO?

Doesn't Bloodrage/Rage transparency only work one way? Why even allow Perfect Clarity to qualify?

Advanced Class Guide Origins.

And they set the feat up so that it works equally well for multi-class Barbarian/casters or Bloodrager/casters. So the feat is good for Rage Prophets, or just random Barbarian/Sorcerers, or Bloodrager/Magus builds.

deuxhero
2014-10-24, 05:02 PM
I meant more "what is it's "theme"?". I assume it has something tieing it together more than "here's some stuff for ACG class we didn't include in that book".

Ssalarn
2014-10-24, 05:09 PM
I meant more "what is it's "theme"?". I assume it has something tieing it together more than "here's some stuff for ACG class we didn't include in that book".

Oh, yeah, it's extra ACG goodies and some materials that are more Golarion specific in the fluff.

Beowulf DW
2014-10-24, 06:16 PM
Oh, yeah, it's extra ACG goodies and some materials that are more Golarion specific in the fluff.

Yeah, pretty much that. When you create more than a half-dozen new classes, it helps to note where they fit into the established setting, or even if certain characters that were once multi-classed are now one of the hybrid classes.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-10-24, 06:17 PM
So, I assume even if you don't have spellcasting, the feat + rage cycling is useful to basically spend your entire rage gaining the benefits but not suffering the penalties (-2 AC, skill restrictions, etc...)? Might be worth paying 2 feats (the rage power itself is effectively a feat cost itself), probably isn't.

grarrrg
2014-10-24, 07:45 PM
Rage Prophet is suddenly slightly more viable.

"slightly more viable" still leaves it a steaming pile of fail.

NightbringerGGZ
2014-10-26, 10:18 AM

It's a bunch of stuff that didn't make it into ACG and a ton of fluff. Kinda substandard fluff actually.

Urpriest
2014-10-26, 10:44 AM
Even with ragecycling, I don't get how this helps non-Bloodrager rage-Gishes. Moment of Clarity still takes a Swift action, so you still need to spend your Standard to cast. That means you still don't gain any benefit from the Str bonus of Rage in that round, or from most Rage Powers. You keep the Con bonus, which I guess is something?

It's great for Bloodrager Gishes, sure. But most Gishes still want to be able to cast swift action spells, and this doesn't let Barbarian Gishes do that.

grarrrg
2014-10-26, 11:07 AM
Even with ragecycling, I don't get how this helps non-Bloodrager rage-Gishes. Moment of Clarity still takes a Swift action, so you still need to spend your Standard to cast. That means you still don't gain any benefit from the Str bonus of Rage in that round, or from most Rage Powers. You keep the Con bonus, which I guess is something?

You can still benefit from the STR bonus when making AoO's.
That's about it?

Psyren
2014-10-26, 11:15 AM
Str is added to CMD so anything that tries to mess with you during your window of vulnerability will have the increased values to deal with.

There is also Urban Barbarian, which boosts Dex rather than Str, which also boosts CMD and can also apply to things like AC and reflex saves while raging.

Ssalarn
2014-10-27, 10:39 AM
A Barbarian/Magus multiclass character could use the feat to combine Spell Combat with his Rage... So I mean, there's that. For all those Int heavy barbarian builds.....

grarrrg
2014-10-27, 12:10 PM
A Barbarian/Magus multiclass character could use the feat to combine Spell Combat with his Rage... So I mean, there's that. For all those Int heavy barbarian builds.....

The sad? stupid? something thing is, that you STILL need freaking Rage-Cycling, as Moment of Clarity is a 1/rage power.

Sir Chuckles
2014-10-27, 12:28 PM
Oh good, I can more or less port my old Neanderthal Barbarian/Wizard/Rage Mage much more easily.

Psyren
2014-10-27, 12:29 PM

Or a Bloodrager/Eldritch Scion multiclass. They would even progress the bloodline, so there's synergy there.

Serafina
2014-10-27, 01:29 PM
Or Skalds, who DO get Rage, Rage Powers and spellcasting, but no feature that allows them to cast while in Rage.
They even get free Rage-cycling of a sort - ending their performance does not cause any fatigue and it can later be started as a move/free action.

Having Moment of Clarity is also pretty good for them, since it means allied spellcasters don't have to reject their Raging Song outright - instead they can gain the benefits (including the Rage Powers it provides) and still cast at the cost of their and the Skalds Swift Action (the Skald can also use a move action instead).

So its kinda a two-power/1 feat tax on a higher-level Skald that wants to buff spellcasting party members.

Beowulf DW
2014-10-27, 07:32 PM
Or Skalds, who DO get Rage, Rage Powers and spellcasting, but no feature that allows them to cast while in Rage.
They even get free Rage-cycling of a sort - ending their performance does not cause any fatigue and it can later be started as a move/free action.

Having Moment of Clarity is also pretty good for them, since it means allied spellcasters don't have to reject their Raging Song outright - instead they can gain the benefits (including the Rage Powers it provides) and still cast at the cost of their and the Skalds Swift Action (the Skald can also use a move action instead).

So its kinda a two-power/1 feat tax on a higher-level Skald that wants to buff spellcasting party members.

Now Skald's something I didn't consider. A Skald/Bloodrager would have the same ability priorities as a Skald or Bloodrager: STR>CON>CHA.

However, Skalds do get to cast while raging:

allies other than the skald cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration.
Emphasis mine.

Serafina
2014-10-28, 04:12 AM
...HOW did i overlook that?
Still, its an option if you party with lots of spellcasters who want your rage powers.