PDA

View Full Version : DM Help a few things...

luthais
2014-10-24, 04:15 PM
My first foray into the deadly, yet beautifully confusing and sometimes highly annoying world of DMing has gotten off to a "smooth" start. Read as: I literally made everything up off the top of my head as my work has me doing buku overtime, and I have no planning time whatsoever. However, the group seems to be enjoying the story so far, but they really have only scratched the main plot. My ideais so original, it baffles the mind... are you ready?
... TIAMAT VS BAHAMUT!!!!11!1

Yeah, yeah, I know, its played out, but the theme appeals to me and my PCs. Anyways, the group consists of a ghostwise halfling rogue with VERY little social skills, a human warlock (first time player) who seems to have permanent foot-in-mouth disease but we spun it for humor so all good; a drow dragon shaman that may be a bit TOO excited about meeting and working with dragons, and an Ivory duskblade (my wife, who, by no fault of my own, seems to come across the best lootz from the table whenever we've had an argument before the session). I want to give them dragon-esque abilities without having them invest in PrCs. Small things like average flight wings, non-op breath weapon, extra ac from scales, ect. How would you guys divy out such abilities to these PCs?

Next question, they are currently in a small settlement 1 weeks hike from the nearest large city, tracking a band of neer-do-wells. I want this group to have a tie to tiamat, but not a giant, neon, blinking sign. The only info the PCs have is the group all have strange runic tattoos and a strange emblem tattoo. I need an idea for why they would be sending 7-8 man patrols around a large area of forest. The baddie group stops in the settlement once a month or so for supplies, never talks to anyone, and leave without making a fuss. Anything you guys could come up with would help. My mind hasn't been in the greatest "plot formation" gear lately.

ETA: Also, and I truly have no idea how this came about, but there seems to be an intelligent, homicidal cow following the group. It moos very maniacally at them during the night. Anybody have ideas on how to screw with the party using this? Or, just some comic relief.

Blackhawk748
2014-10-24, 04:34 PM
Well you could make the bad guys leader a Talon of Tiamat (Draconomicon) it would probably go something like this; Cleric 6/Talon of Tiamat X, or he could be a Full BaB class and get in sooner if he takes Able Learner, maybe a Paladin of Slaughter? Either option stops the GIANT NEON SIGN from showing up as there really isnt a way to tell is someone is a Talon until they use their breath weapon.

luthais
2014-10-25, 06:36 AM
I had planned on using the talon PrC later in the game. However, I guess I could throw it in on the leader, just use breath as a last resort.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-10-25, 08:52 AM
Draconic Grafts, spells and items for Draconomicon/Dragon Magic/Dragons of Faerun/Races of the Dragon.

Edit

There's something that makes someone a dragon's henchman somewhere and gives marginal dragon related buffs. Then you make that dragon a servant/worshipper of Tiamat.

Vampiric Half-dragon cow? It drains blood from their mounts, because it is easier to reach a vein with other quadrupeds. And it still produces milk, (cause it's a dairy cow) and is making so much noise because its udder is painfully full. Once the PCs milk it give the milk some weird properties. Like it grants darkvision and a craving for grass/hay. Or gaseous self that smells like cow methane.

jedipotter
2014-10-25, 01:21 PM
1. You could give them PsC classes for free. Kinda like a ''gesalt'' with a Prestige Class

2. Have an escaped NPC?

3. Werecow!

atemu1234
2014-10-25, 01:36 PM
3. Werecow!

Transforms under a full MOO-n!

Fax Celestis
2014-10-25, 03:23 PM
Xorvintaal Exarch template in MMV?

Calimehter
2014-10-25, 04:03 PM
The 7-8 man patrols in the forest are hunting for an enemy of theirs. They know this particular enemy would avoid the villagers, so they don't bother harassing them for info. The reason they know this is that their quarry is a druid with strong antisocial tendancies. He is the lone survivor of an adventuring group (who else would take someone like that into their company?) that fought and killed an evil dragon sworn to Tiamat, and because of that he has something that used to belong to that dragon that the followers of Tiamat want back.

This druid, for reasons unknown, is terribly fond of wildshaping into a crazy cow . . .

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-10-25, 06:12 PM
Transforms under a full MOO-n!

Thread collapses under critical PUN damage!

Phelix-Mu
2014-10-26, 06:34 AM
Thread collapses under critical PUN damage!

Pun damage is super effective!

:smalltongue: