PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Best single spell at level 13

Rickshaw
2014-10-24, 07:43 PM
I'm looking for a single spell available at level 13 (preferably to wizards, but any caster will do) that is pretty standard, and yet can be reliably considered to put down, kill, or otherwise end encounters against, say, another character of the same level. this can be

single target
AoE
save or suck
save or die
metamagic
whatever

*edit* I guess I should add that this is in Pathfinder

as long as its something a level 13 character can cast, its fair game. not really wanting to take many feats other than metamagic into account, except maybe things like spell focus, spell penetration, etc.

nedz
2014-10-24, 07:55 PM
I'm looking for a single spell available at level 13 (preferably to wizards, but any caster will do) that is pretty standard, and yet can be reliably considered to put down, kill, or otherwise end encounters against, say, another character of the same level. this can be

single target
AoE
save or suck
save or die
metamagic
whatever

as long as its something a level 13 character can cast, its fair game. not really wanting to take many feats other than metamagic into account, except maybe things like spell focus, spell penetration, etc.

That would be Blasphemy — though you need to bump your CL.

heavyfuel
2014-10-24, 08:16 PM
Force cage will deal with anything that can't teleport its way out.

Venger
2014-10-24, 08:28 PM
Force cage will deal with anything that can't teleport its way out.

but at level 13, anything that's dangerous enough to want to trap can either teleport, slip out (if barred cage, and if solid, well, he's protected), dispel, or is too big to fit in the cage.

while blasphemy (or its variants) are obviously the most powerful, I'm partial to pact of return (idk if it exists in pf) but it lets you rez without lvl loss if you're killed in a way similar to what you name when casting the spell. and you can have multiple copies running

heavyfuel
2014-10-24, 08:39 PM
but at level 13, anything that's dangerous enough to want to trap can either teleport, slip out (if barred cage, and if solid, well, he's protected), dispel, or is too big to fit in the cage.

You won't hear me say anything different than this. However, by the way OP asked his question it seems to me he's planning a boss-type character. If your boss is 2 levels higher than the party, a Forcecage can pretty much take one, maybe two, characters out of the fight completely. Especially mundane characters that usually serve as either tanks or high damage dealers. Also, Forcecage sucks for PCs because it's too expensive to cast.

Venger
2014-10-24, 08:48 PM
You won't hear me say anything different than this. However, by the way OP asked his question it seems to me he's planning a boss-type character. If your boss is 2 levels higher than the party, a Forcecage can pretty much take one, maybe two, characters out of the fight completely. Especially mundane characters that usually serve as either tanks or high damage dealers. Also, Forcecage sucks for PCs because it's too expensive to cast.

from the prompt, that's very possible.

Rickshaw, could you tell us a little more about your needs? that might lead to us giving slightly better advice.

Snowbluff
2014-10-24, 08:56 PM
That would be Blasphemy — though you need to bump your CL.

How is this right? Simulacrum something that can use Blasphemy, bump its CL, then have it do the work for you.

Rickshaw
2014-10-24, 09:04 PM
the situation im planning to be using this is in more of a 1v1 pvp ish situation.

Snowbluff
2014-10-24, 09:06 PM
Oh, okay. Blasphemy if you don't have prep time. Simulacrum if you do. ;)

Rickshaw
2014-10-24, 09:11 PM
blasphemy looks like just dazed for one round though- monks can do better than that. am I reading the spell wrong?

Venger
2014-10-24, 09:16 PM
blasphemy looks like just dazed for one round though- monks can do better than that. am I reading the spell wrong?

yes. that's only the effect if they've got HD = your CL. if they have less (http://paizo.com/prd/spells/blasphemy.html) then they have more deleterious effect.

the reason blasphemy (or whatever variant if you know your opponent's alignment) is useful in optimization is, if you get your CL high enough, it will kill your opponent.

Snowbluff
2014-10-24, 09:16 PM

The idea is that you increase your spell level so that you can kill with one hit. Paralyzed would be good enough to kill via other methods, though.

Start with Divine Spell Power, I think.

WhamBamSam
2014-10-25, 03:44 AM
An Ur-Priest could have 8ths by level 13 (so one spell level higher than normal full casters), and could have a one shot use of a lot of potent spells through various list expanding chicanery. Ur-Priest might also be the best way to pump your CL higher for Blasphemy if you for whatever reason don't have prep time for things like DMM Persisted Consumptive Field as a Cleric. Something like Marshal 1/Sorcerer 4/Ur-Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 6 with Divine Spell Power, Practiced Spellcaster (Sorcerer), and Practiced Spellcaster (Ur-Priest), all of which you can fit in alongside Ur-Priest Prereqs by being Human or using the Otyugh Hole for Iron Will. has an Ur-Priest CL of 17+Divine Spell Power before Items and since Turning/Rebuking is a Cha check Motivate Charisma is helping you out as well. You also have a very good chance of getting to go first between Sorcerer spells specifically geared toward doing so, and Motivate Dexterity (which can be switched out for Motivate Charisma with your Swift Action).