PDA

View Full Version : How long to Boil Water -- OR -- How to Steam Engine?

unseenmage
2014-10-24, 10:14 PM
So the DMG mentions steam engines once. one time. One mentin does not a steampunk adventure make. So I looked to other sources and used DragonMech instead. I've fought the terrible formatting, dug through page after page of disorganized text and found... no note on how those itty bitty steam powered chainsaws and daggers etc work.

There are numbers for 24 hour continuous operation of large and larger mechs. With a note on 8 hr days. Extrapolating you get that if you want to run a Fine sized steam device continuously for 24 hours it takes 31 lbs of coal costing you at best 3sp and 1cp.

My questions are, is this too much or too little?
Also, how long should it take to boil the requisite amount of water for these devices? By size category maybe, but how long for each?

Snowbluff
2014-10-24, 10:24 PM
Wall of Lava + Decanter of Endless water is the common method. The decanter alone should work for a dagg-

Wait, a steam powered dagger? The very thought fills me with rage. :smallfurious:

Blackhawk748
2014-10-24, 10:40 PM
I recommend Sorcery and Steamcraft, its not perfect but its fairly nice, they even have a Steampowered Motorcycle and canons. I like it, but one of the things that kinda annoys me is that most of the PrCs are a bit lame, but the gear is pretty sweet.

Honest Tiefling
2014-10-24, 11:02 PM
Wall of Lava + Decanter of Endless water is the common method. The decanter alone should work for a dagg-

Wait, a steam powered dagger? The very thought fills me with rage. :smallfurious:

Can...Someone tell me how this works?

unseenmage
2014-10-24, 11:12 PM
It's like a steam powered chainsaw. The reason they give is because magic-science. Irritating to be sure.

Honest Tiefling
2014-10-24, 11:22 PM
I cannot help but feel that the item you describe can no longer be sufficiently described as a dagger.

As for your inquiry, will there be rules for maintenance, (Oil, repairs, etc.)? I also have to wonder if steam engines are affected by water hardness. If so, filling your mech with any ol' water might not work out.

unseenmage
2014-10-24, 11:26 PM
I cannot help but feel that the item you describe can no longer be sufficiently described as a dagger.

As for your inquiry, will there be rules for maintenance, (Oil, repairs, etc.)? I also have to wonder if steam engines are affected by water hardness. If so, filling your mech with any ol' water might not work out.

From what I've read there is a nod to maintenance but any ol' water will do. The things are even built to suck up random water they walk through to keep the tank full.