PDA

View Full Version : The Dead Lands part 1 Awakening

Captain Awesome
2014-10-24, 11:53 PM
The dream has faded and the world returns to you. The most vivid dream you have ever dreamed has ended... yet something remains. The knowledge and power that was granted to you remains. The world is alive with sensations you have never felt before. Colors are brighter. Smells more potent. Every sense feels like some dusty veil has been removed from it. That is not all However; there is a pulse to the city. You can feel it living essence of the very city flowing like a current. The way that the creator feels the universe has been shown to you, if only a glimpse.

The power is now yours. What will you do with it.

Jötunn
2014-10-25, 01:14 AM
"Ugh... my head."

Oliver sits up in bed, lost in the silk sheets that have entangled him. He squints and rubs at his eyes before rubbing the veil of sweat from his forehead. After a moment spent untangling, he kicks his feet free and pads over the cool stone floor to the balcony, clad in just his night things.

"What in the... it's not going away."

He rubs his eyes again, and squints out at the night sky, but he can still feel the pulse of the city, see the colours of the darkness with a clarity never before, especially in the faint pink tinge just edging onto the horizon at that very moment.

"I must've... must've eaten something funny last night, and I'm still dreaming. I'm just going to go sleep it off. Yeah."

He staggers back to bed, massaging his forehead with one hand as though he had a headache. He crawls back under the silk and scrunched his eyes shut against the new sensations.

"Should tell Trey. He'll find it funny, most likely."

He's not really sure who he's talking to.

bcool999
2014-10-25, 01:36 AM
Yog

Yog awakes from his dream in a cold sweat. Mind racing from the knowledge and power that has been placed within him. He slips out of bed, careful not to disturb the sleeping form of his wife Nora, and splashes himself with water from the basin in the washroom. He felt... different. Not just infused with that power he barely wants to acknowledge, but stronger and healthier than he had ever been before. Nora jokes that he could crush stones with those great big hands of his, but now he wonders if he really could take a rock in hand and just squeeze it into dust.

When he returns to the bedroom, Nora was starting to wake, and Yog didn't know how to explain all that had happened to him in one night. He takes a deep breath, sits on the edge of their bed, and explains his entire dream from beginning to end. When he is done, to prove that he is not making it up, he fashions a pick out of thin air before letting it dissipate into nothingness once more. He then looks into Nora's eyes hoping to see anything other than fear and hate in her eyes.

Captain Awesome
2014-10-25, 01:49 PM
The morning trudges on like normal. Servants come in and out to do their duty while trying not to interrupt the prince that still rests in bed. That is until the one man that treats the young prince like any other highborn.

The young man's martial instructor(please state the name) stood by the bed, took in a deep breath, then flipped the bed over," Good morning my Prince. I do hope you slept well. Might I get you some breakfast or draw a bath?"

For a time Nora is silent as she takes in everything that has been said and shown to her. He delicate hands then move to grasp the rough hands of the miner she loves," This is a blessing from the creator, but you cannot let anyone else know. If you do the Crimson Guard will take you from me."

Ellowryn
2014-10-25, 02:06 PM
Alex bolts upright in bed, unsure of what to do about what just happened. He has had dreams before, everyone does, and many have claimed to meet the creator in such ways, but he had always dismissed them as attention seekers or simply delusional.

Why?

That was the next thought to cross his mind. Why him? While he never denounced the faith he had never been particularly devout either. He had not cared about where the world had come from, there were more immediate and important threats that needed his attention.

Getting up he notices some subtle changes in his room but nothing is out of place, just changed. Then he notices the feeling in the back of his mind, the pulse it felt like. This was all too much, and there were too many questions, including this new power. Magic was it? The word was foreign to him yet it seemed so close now as well. He could do things now, he knew it like he knew his combat training, but it all so confused him.

Had anybody else seen this dream? The only way to find out was to ask.

Captain Awesome
2014-10-25, 02:36 PM
The world about you continues on like clockwork. Nothing is different, but everything is. It is as if a new sense has been given to you. You can feel the world. The energies of the trainees outside practicing, the swarm of servants in the Krissen palace, even the animals running around can be felt in some way.

After a while Susan comes to you personally. She radiated power in a way you never felt before, yet it doesn't completely seem to come from here," Captain! I regret to inform you, but for the time being, there will be no more patrols. This is an order directly from the king. The gates are to stay sealed."

FearlessGnome
2014-10-26, 06:17 PM
Byron opened his eyes slowly. That had been a dream, surely? He didn't feel like before. He had always been special, of course, but this was... different.

He got out of bed, dressed, and checked the mail slot where the tavern keeper would put any letters addressed to him. The only letter in the box was from his father. It wasn't new, and he didn't open it today either. He went back and sat on the bed, pulled out his ukalele, and thought while he played.

Two minutes later, he stretched out his hand. He concentrated and... his shadow moved. That was a surprise. But what he had expected also happened; a faint, translucent hand formed in the air before him. It picked up one of the coins that lay on the floor. He could feel its weight as the hand raised it into the air, then levitated across the room and faded as it dropped the coin into his outstretched hand. He looked at the coin. Go out and change things, He had said.

Byron rose. He went downstairs without eating breakfast. He seldom did, but this day it wasn't even a conscious decision.

Captain Awesome
2014-10-26, 07:56 PM
As you walk out of your room a rather lean black cat forms from the shadows and brushes against your leg for just a moment. The cat yawns then walks forward a bit before turning back to look at you. What came next is the truly shocking moment.

"Think you are having an off day? Try being me." the cat said without actually speaking.

FearlessGnome
2014-10-26, 09:01 PM
Byron stops, and stares at the cat. Or rather the thing made out of shadow. For that was not a real cat. Was that good or bad? He would be more surprised if he had not done magic himself not a minute before. He leans down carefully to study it. "What's happened to you, then, that's so bad?" He holds out his hand to let the cat smell it if it wants to come back and do so. But cats are vicious little monsters, so he will pull his hand back the second it looks like it might bite or claw him. Too many memories of family cats that would decide to "play" even after knowing him for years.

Captain Awesome
2014-10-26, 09:13 PM
The cat moved forward and rubbed against the hand and purred before stopping and looking at you in disgust before stepping back seeming upset with himself.

"Yesterday I was a normal cat. I was happy and ignorant." the cat said before stretching himself forward as cats tend to do," No I am well, what I am. A being of shadow bound to some crazy hipster."

Ellowryn
2014-10-26, 09:44 PM
Sealed!? Why in the creators name would he do something like that? He pauses after he speaks, caught up in the words he just said. Shrugging it of, he focuses on the problem at hand.

Only by pushing back like we do have we managed to keep the corruption at bay, if we were to withdraw now we would be overrun in a matter of months. Have you spoken to his highness about this?

Without waiting for an answer Alex quickly gets dressed and heads out, there are people who need to be spoken to. The undue feeling he gets from Susan is not forgotten, but the lives of the citizens of this city are now at stake and weird dreams and misbegotten power are unfortunately less important right now.

FearlessGnome
2014-10-26, 09:46 PM
"Bound to some- Hey, I'm not crazy! And don't try to label me. What do you mean bound?" He peered at it suspiciously. It hadn't bitten him, but it could talk, so it was apparently intelligent. ...Somehow.

bcool999
2014-10-26, 10:30 PM
Yog

Wrapping his wife in an embrace, Yog thanks the creator for his fortune in finding such a woman. "I swear to you I won't let anything tear our family apart." Promises Yog before releasing her and preparing for another day in the mine. As he does so, Yog wonders whether he really will be able to hide these changes in him. Everything seems different. Like I went to sleep and I was one bloke, but now I woke up and I don't even know who I am anymore... Shaking his head Yog thinks, I have so many questions, but so few answers. Someone must know what is happening... someone who is easier to reach than a god... the church? Maybe they would know but how do I ask without giving myself away? No matter what, I can't let this lead back to my family, but also... I have to make sure I am not dangerous to them.

Keeping such grim thoughts hidden behind a smile, Yog says goodbye to his family and heads to work in the mines, hoping that a day of work would calm his racing thoughts and bring clarity to his situation.

Captain Awesome
2014-10-26, 10:41 PM
Waiting outside your door is Samuel, your squire. He is something along the lines of a 15 year old 4th cousin twice removed. It has been rather obvious by the total lack of skills and respect when he came to you a year ago that his 'assignment' to you was the result of political back dealings. Since that time you have broken the poor boy and rebuilt him as a proper and respectable soldier that values rank and honor more than just about everything else.

"SIR! I have a report for you from Matriarch Susan, Sir!" The 15 year old says as he holds out a scroll with Susan's personal Seal on it.

The Scroll reads as Follows.

Alexander, while I fully have home to terms with this part of your personality, you need to work on your impulsiveness. I have personally spoken to the king. HE summoned me in order to close the gates. By his order they have been sealed. If anyone attempts to open them, the Crimson Guard will be executing them on sight. For the time being you are to train the troops but remain at the ready. The gates have never been sealed before. I know not what is happening or why. All of house Krissen is to be on full alert and ready for combat.

Susan.

The cat yawned and turned away so that it might head towards the kitchen. He stayed in shadows as much as he could. The cat then once more turned back, and with eyes that at the moment glowed the color of salmon flesh stated,"Everything has a 'label'. Even the one that made everything has one. You call him the creator, I call him Jeff... Anyway, Jeff told me that I have to look after you. It is such a bore really. You people always make so much noise. I would be happier hiding and hunting."

"You had better not... or so help me you will suffer." she said with a wavering voice the spoke of the torrid of emotions that were fighting for dominance.

Either way she would have to let you leave. The train to work will be leaving soon and even in a crisis she will not let you be late. The train however it a totally new experience. The tightly packed fast moving lift is a sea of power. Each person has a feel to them, as does the train. Energy swirls around you in ways you never even imagined. It is disorienting yet pleasant. What comes as the most shock is when you finally arrive at the mines. Walls covered in glowstone is indeed a beautiful sight, but with your eyes... Power flows from one stone to another dancing and flowing like water yet almost alive. Each pick blow sends dazzling sparks of countless shades of glue whizzing harmlessly through the air.

After a short while Dom comes up behind you and pats you rather firmly on the shoulder,"Boy, you got a look on you like a fresh recruit. I know that the mine is a beautiful thing, but we got money to make."

Calinero
2014-10-26, 11:47 PM
Curtis

Curtis stirs from his sleep fitfully, eyes opening to look at the bare stone above him. He sleeps alone, and in a room that is only a few steps above a bare cave. He could probably find better, but he prefers to remind himself how the worst among the poor lived. Similarly, he probably didn't have to sleep alone, but there was so little time.

He frowns as he rises, stretching the aches of sleep from his body. That dream...

It was not like anything he had ever experienced before. It was more vivid, refusing to fade into memory like most dreams did. And something about him felt...different. There was power there, waiting for him to reach out and grasp it.

"What is happening to me?" he says quietly to himself, flexing his fingers.

bcool999
2014-10-27, 12:35 AM
Yog

"Y-yeah." Yog replies snapping himself out of the daze the glowstone filled cavern put him in. He joins up with the others just getting on shift and heads to their designated section of the mine, greeting and jesting with the men they are relieving from their shift, Yog starts swinging his pick at the glowstone, prying loose the precious mineral and gathering the chunks to be carted off to the engineers. As he works, Yog feels almost guilty. Before today, glowstone had just been a rock, a pretty rock mind you, but a rock no more alive than a pebble that finds it's way into your boot. Now though, his eyes can see the energy flowing beneath the stone's surface, the same energy he saw in the people packed together in the train and powering the train itself. He wonders if the stone is alive, and if he is hurting it by mining it. Pull it together Yog. You can't go all loony worrying if you are hurting stone. Thinking like that will make you stand out, and that is the last thing you want. Yog admonishes himself as he continues to work.

At lunch, Yog opens his lunchbox to find that Nora had made him breadcap sandwiches for lunch today. He smiles, despite the simple fare Yog wouldn't trade one of Nora's sandwiches for all the hoity-toity highborn foods on the surface, and Nora was a real magician at making the normally bland mushroom into a delight, much to the envy of his coworkers. While he eats, Yog lets his mind wander. Despite his distrust of these changes he is nevertheless curious as well, he reaches out with his senses trying to feel the glowstone around him, and even farther to the city at large. He then wonders if he could pick out a single light amidst the masses, and tries to focus on one particular life he knows very well. His wife's.

Experimenting with weird life senses.

Jötunn
2014-10-27, 11:45 AM
Oliver groans as he is unceremoniously tipped out of bed and onto the stone floor. Markus, why you little... I'll have you arrested, for sure this time. He yawns as he speaks, clearly not meaning a word of it. Then he opens his eyes and swears - "Damn and blast!" - as he realises that the events at dawn weren't entirely a dream after all. "I... I've got to go talk to someone," he mumbles.

Markus, leaning nonchalantly against the overturned bed, replies with amusement evident in his voice. "Oliver, I'm right here, y'know."

"No, I mean... I'm going to talk to Cousin Trey."

"You do realise that you were supposed to meet me in the sparring yard not half an hour ago?"

"No, this is important. Markus, I-"

Markus steps beside him and, grabbing him by the hand, pulls him up. "Now now, young master. I'll leave you in good hands and expect to see you down there in ten minutes sharp or I will talk to your father." He propels Oliver into the waiting hands of Irena, Oliver's personal attendant and the grizzled veteran and the servant share a glance and a nod before Markus strides away.

As he gets dressed, pulling a shirt over his head and breeches over his legs, he asks Irena to take a message to Prince Treorri when she can. "Can you tell him that... that I have to speak to him, as soon as possible? Tell him it's important.

Ellowryn
2014-10-27, 12:05 PM
Alex pauses as Samuel hands him the letter. Reading it over he lets out a long sigh. This is all so insane and having the world swim in new colors and tones isn't helping.

An order is an order after all, Sam i need you to head to the troops and get them on full alert. I want full drills and supplies, make sure we are ready to move at a moments notice. If anybody is on leave recall them right away.

If i can't do anything about the lock down then i can at least focus on myself. A thought crosses his mind, and he stops Samuel before he leaves.

Oh, and could you pass on to my aunt before you go that i would rather be impulsive than complacent.

See him off, Alex turns and starts heading towards the first place that might be able to help him, the family physician.

Captain Awesome
2014-10-27, 02:07 PM
Whether this is still a dream or whether you are still awake is hard to tell. It becomes harder still when at the completion of your spoken question, a six in tall man appears at the foot of your bed. This man looks exactly like the one in your dream that called himself the creator.

"I gave you power... I thought that was clear. Was that not clear?"

As you shut off your outer senses and focus on your inner power the feeling of energy you get from people becomes as visually vivid as the glowstone, but in a myriad of colors and shades. The harder you focus the move vivid the colors. This works the same with the glowstone surrounding you. So much power makes it hard to focus on anything outside of the glowstone.

As you focus you start to notice a glowing blue coming from you that seems to be the same shade as the glowstone. Moments later people begin to gasp and move away from you quickly.

"What the hell is that!" someone shouts in fear while moving quickly away from you.

The servant nervously bows,"Right away my prince."

The letter is then quickly taken to the other 'Prince' that resides in the palace.

((If you wish to continue controlling Markus go for it. Otherwise I will. If you are only interacting with npcs in your control post as frequently as you desire without need of my input.))

Samuel salutes you and hurries off. You easily have full confidence that this young man will have the majority, if not the entirety, of all fighting capable members of the Krissen fighting force assembled within the next half hour. The physician Doctor Walter Grisshim is doing what he normally does in the royal palace, being bored. When you want into his officer, he is leaned back in a chair balancing a tongue depressor on his nose. Despite being a middle ages man, he is quite childish.

Calinero
2014-10-27, 05:30 PM
Curtis blinks as he looks at the small man. "No...I mean, yes. It was clear...sir?" His mouth stumbles over the honorific--he doesn't like using titles for others at the best of times, let alone with the "other" is a six-inch tall man in his room. However, if what he had dreamed was really happening...then this was his god. A measure of respect seemed in order.

"You've given me power," he says, slowly, "Something I've never really had before. I've spent my entire life raging that the nobles were born with it and we weren't. That you bring power to me now, and ask for change..." He looks down at the little man, the little deity. "I know what I want to change. I want to raise my people up. Shatter these walls. Does this please you?"

bcool999
2014-10-27, 06:39 PM
Yog

Yog you dust brained idiot! Yog thinks to himself as his thoughts race on salvaging his blunder. He stands up and calmly brushes himself off, squashing the glow as he does so, "Hmph, must have gotten some glowstone dust on me." He says before he looks around at the onlookers and says with a smirk, "What's the matter with all of you? Never seen glowstone before? Pop your eyes back in your skulls you ninnies and lets get back to work." He then picks up his pick axe and makes his way back to work laughing.

Big Fat Bluff Check: [roll0]

2014-10-27, 06:46 PM
With a strangled cry, Treorri woke from his slumber, drenched in a cold sweat. Possibilities whirled through his head at the speed of sound, each one more troubling than the last. Why was the deity appearing now to bring about change? Everything he knew about the church indicated that they would be in favor of a revolution, and yet the king had been allowed to run roughshod over his people not once, but twice! And why had they chosen him? He was hardly the most responsible person; he tried to be a good person, but nobody's perfect. And of course, it was only a dream, right? He hadn't actually been visited by a goddess, had he? Surely there were better candidates for supreme power...

He straightened up, as the possibilities flashed before him. This power...if he truly possessed great power now, it was his responsibility to use it for the good of the people as a whole. The only problem was, he had never had great power before...at least, nothing of this nature! How could he control it, what did it do, how could it make the city a better place for the common man? He needed proof that this power truly existed. "If this power is real, milady, give me a sign."

As his mind still whirled, the doors burst open, and two of the Crimson Guard rushed in.

"Is everything alright, Sire?" the one on the left asked. "We heard you cry out. Bad dreams?"

"Of the worst kind," Treorri replied, finally rising from bed to get dressed. "A world made of nothing but nobles. Nothing ever gets done because everybody's too busy passively aggressively attempting to convince everyone else that they're more important and need more servants than the other person."

"Horrifying, Sire."

"Quite. There's already far too many bluebloods in the world for my liking."

"Ahem," the other guard interrupted, "Since there's no problem, perhaps we could escort you to breakfast? Three squares a day does a body good."

"So goes the conventional wisdom," Treorri replied, finally emerging from his walk-in closet. He was wearing his ceremonial robes--in reality, a set of powerful armor with inlaid glowstones--under his signature overcoat, a gift from his mother; below the belt, he wore the finest of trousers with a pair of knee-high black leather boots."Shall we?" he asked, as he went to retrieve his harrow deck. He froze as the deck briefly flashed red.

"Something wrong, Sire?" the first one asked.

"Nothing...it's nothing," Treorri replied. He straightened up, stuffing the deck into its belt pouch. "Shall we continue?"

The three of them continued to the dining hall; it was rather empty at the moment, with only a few cousins milling around. Unfortunately, the one he was hoping to talk to was nowhere to be seen; he expected that Oliver was busy with his lessons. "Oh well," he thought as he settled in to his breakfast.

As soon as he finished, the dishes were swept away by a servant (much to Treorri's consternation), and he retrieved his harrow deck. As he began shuffling, he saw a rather sore-looking Oliver enter the hall, followed as usual by his martial instructor. He raised a hand in greeting, which Treorri returned with a smile. As the prince sat down across from him, he asked "Rough morning, Ollie? I don't know about you, but I had the most interesting dreams last night..." As he spoke, he began drawing cards from the deck; Treorri preferred to start the day with a harrow reading, to give himself an idea of what to expect. As he glanced down at the cards he'd drawn, he stiffened: the Juggler, the Theater, and the Tyrant, just like in his dream.

It was his sign.

As he glanced back up at his cousin, he contemplated how to tell him without seeming crazy.

FearlessGnome
2014-10-27, 07:18 PM
Creepy cat is Watching me for the Big Guy, eh? I suppose he wouldn't just hand out magic like that. Never fear, I'll put the power to good use.

...But how, exactly? Byron frowned as he continued down the stairs. He needed to get a little air, and think about things.

Captain Awesome
2014-10-27, 08:01 PM
The six in man walks away and towards the wall. The figure then starts walking up the wall and grows to a rather large man in the outfit of a royal," The squabbles of humans does not matter all that much to me. Your kind does their best to bring themselves freedom, but end up taking it from others in doing so. What I want to be changed is SO different, Far grander than you can imagine. I have given you, and a few others a chance to fix things for all of us... "

Moments later the being on the ceiling was gone.

The miners around you, thankfully are mostly blue eyes like yourself, seem leery at first. Eventually they all seem to shake it off and go back to doing what they were doing.

"Never seen glowstone do that." Dom said as he walked up towards you," Just to make sure you are ok, maybe you should go home for the day. You might have had too much exposure for today."

"Don't worry," the juggler on the card spoke as anyone that was not a prince had left the room,"You are not crazy and you know it."

"If you think you can get away with not feeding me, your delusional." The cat said as he began to pur.and weave around d your leg,"Also, I need a name."

FearlessGnome
2014-10-27, 10:03 PM
Byron stared at it. Well. It was pretty cool how it moved.

"Alright, I'll bite. Do you want to be Biscuit or Sunshine?"

Captain Awesome
2014-10-27, 10:16 PM
The cat turned into a cloud of black before spiraling up Byron's body to then reform on his shoulder where the cat began to lick at his paw," Call me what you like. I just need to know when you are addressing me."

FearlessGnome
2014-10-27, 10:29 PM
"Biscuit it is. So, what do you eat?"

Captain Awesome
2014-10-27, 10:35 PM
"... Seriously? You have highborn education. I'm a cat. I eat meat. You should eat too. Going without energy with what you are now is not wise."

FearlessGnome
2014-10-27, 10:48 PM
"Yeah, well." Byron looked around him. He wasn't hungry. Wasn't gonna let a cat tell him what to do. ...But he should probably get it some food.

He made his way to the kitchen. A young man was the only one there. Byron hadn't quite learned his name yet. "Hey. Do you uh, have any rats here? Something for a cat to eat?"

bcool999
2014-10-27, 10:58 PM
Yog

Glad his ruse had worked, Yog sighed and considered his dad's proposal, "Maybe you're right, I have been feeling off all day... maybe I will go see a doctor."

For a moment, Yog considers telling his father about the dream and all that came with it, but he dismisses the idea. The old man has enough to worry about with the mine. Even if I were to tell him, now would not be the time for it. Besides, a half-day gives me the perfect chance to go see a priest about dreams and deities. With that settled, Yog gathers his things and nods at his dad as he makes his way to the train station. Intent on finding a church and getting some answers if any were to be had.

Captain Awesome
2014-10-27, 11:02 PM
Biscuit leapt from Byron's shoulder and then looked at Byron," Really dude?Rats?"

The young man looked quite upset, but like all lowborn he calmed himself to take," No sire, we have no rats here. This is a clean establishment. We do have breadcap meal. It is suitable for cats to consume."

There is no church in the mine district, but almost exactly outside Grand Central, the main station of all cross district trains that is located at the center of Central District, the main undercity cathedral is located.

FearlessGnome
2014-10-27, 11:22 PM
Byron looked at Biscuit. No, scratch that. He was going to call it Breadcap. At last, progress! With a grin he said "He says it's suitible for cats." He turned back to the young man. "Of course - my apologies. A little breadcap meal, please."

Captain Awesome
2014-10-27, 11:43 PM
The young man prepairs some dried ground breadcap mixed with what looks like milk. The plate is then set down for Biscuit.

"I will put it on your tab. Anything for you sir?"

Biscuit moved in to sniff it before eating,"Honesty... Not bad for vegan food."

bcool999
2014-10-27, 11:47 PM
Yog

Arriving at the Grand Central station, Yog wonders if he shouldn't have dropped his mining gear off at home first. Too late to think of that now... thinks Yog as he makes his way to the cathedral, trying as best he can to ignore any stares levied his way for carrying his pick along with him.

Arriving outside the Cathedral, Yog takes a deep breath before stepping inside, hoping to find a priest who could give some answers, or that the very least, one that didn't ask too many questions.

Captain Awesome
2014-10-28, 01:08 AM
It should not be that surprising that someone appears quite quickly to assist the man in fill mining gear still

"How might I assist you?" The priest said in a calm a voice as he could manage.

2014-10-28, 06:07 AM
A moment of absolute silence engulfed the hall, echoing in the vast room, with the two princes the only witnesses to the magic taking place.

The silence is broken by a wordless cry coming from Treorri; in the blink of an eye, he'd picked up the card and hurled it across the room. Prince Oliver noticed that, as he did so, the card appeared to be briefly set on fire before flying through the air. As it flew, the situation grew even more unbelievable: the card sliced clean through a candlestick on the far end of the table before embedding itself in the far wall.

"Well that's no good. You'd best retrieve me; the card isn't going to fly back to you, you know...at least, not yet."

Nodding shakily, Treorri retrieved the card, shuffling the other two back into the deck. As he did so, he glanced at his cousin, and the look of shock as he stared at the card seemed a pretty strong indication that he'd heard it, too. Taking a quick, deep breath to calm his nerves, Treorri took his seat once more, his briefly nonexistent mask of casual superiority sliding back into place. Glancing up at his cousin, he asked "So...were you blessed in your dreams as well?"

Last night, Treorri had a dream that some all-powerful being was granting him power; he doesn't think he can be trusted with that power, that nobody can really be trusted with that power. When he woke up, he could've still convinced himself it was just a dream; that was before three supposedly impossible things happened before breakfast: two identical harrow readings (in a row, no less), a card talking to him, and the same card embedding itself in stone.

Just a reminder, everything about the setting indicates that the only person capable of real magic is the king; how would you react if you were reading your fortune cookie and the cookie reformed itself and read the fortune to you, moving as if the cookie was a mouth? I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd be going "Does not compute"; first, totally shocked by something that can't happen, happening, and the next, violently rejecting the impossible thing. Treorri's shock and violence phases lasted much shorter than mine would IRL, which is just right, considering how much more capable he is than I am.

FearlessGnome
2014-10-28, 10:22 AM
"Thanks."

Byron leaves the cat to eat. It'll find him again, no doubt. He really needs that fresh air.

Jötunn
2014-10-28, 11:15 AM
Oliver's mouth dropped.

"Well."

After a moment's pause, he draws back a chair and sits heavily. "I must admit that I've been spending most of today hoping that I was still dreaming - in fact, I still hold out for that. But yes, I had a dream last night and I think we're both in a rather similar place at the moment." Another momentary pause, and he holds out his hand, palm upwards. "I haven't tried but... there."

Silver energy begins to coalesce on the palm of his hand, swirling into a glowing sigil. He then dashes the energy with a wave of his hand and it dissipates into nothingness.

"I think I can do more, but..." He leaves the last bit unsaid.

Calinero
2014-10-28, 11:22 AM
Curtis

Curtis dresses distractedly, going through the motions without paying attention to his body. What do you do, when everything you know has changed? His clothes are simple and worn, not so clean and new as to draw attention, but not dirty enough to push people away either. The perfect clothes for blending into a crowd.

He steps out of his home and onto the streets that he usually works. It takes a few minutes for him to get there--the streets by his home are where the poor tend to live, and there's not much point in robbing them. No, he heads for the streets with markets--where the occasional well-to-do might pass by.

Ellowryn
2014-10-28, 12:09 PM
Alex makes his way to the aged physician who he has known for many years. Snide comments and practical jokes aside he deserves his reputation as the foremost doctor in the city.

Good morning Doctor Grisshim, i hope you are doing well. I would like to talk to you about a strange occurrence that has happened to me and what effects it might have.

2014-10-28, 11:08 PM
"I hear you, Ollie," Treorri said with a sigh. "I thought it was just a dream. But then the cards were the same...and they started talking..." he trailed off, lost in thought. After a few seconds of indecision, his eyes hardened and lit up with the fervor that usually gripped them when he was about to go off on a rant against the class system.

"Right, let's assume they weren't just dreams. In mine, the...being, they told me that mankind was supposed to be more exciting than a population hiding behind walls; they wanted something new and exciting. And us, we've been chosen to bring about a new era."

He whipped out the three cards. "Look, these are the same cards I drew in the dream as well as just now, before they...anyway: the Juggler, representing destiny, deities, and those who meddle with fate; the Theater, representing prophecy and the servants of the gods; and the Tyrant, a ruler whose subjects suffer by his hand. Don't you see? It's a sign!"

"Regardless of the extent of our powers, or the purpose this being has for us, I think we should use these...abilities for the betterment of this city and her people. Fickle Fate has given us the ability to make a difference; I say we use these powers to do just that." He paused for a second, as if to catch his breath; as he did, a thought occurred to him.

"I just thought of something; most plays feature more than just a handful of characters; I doubt there are only two heroes for whatever production this being is setting up. Perhaps...perhaps there are others like us out there, who woke up this morning from strange dreams and gained fantastic powers from the being that resided within them. What do you think?"

Captain Awesome
2014-10-29, 10:14 AM
As you step out into the busy streets you are, for lack of a better word, assaulted by the surge of power that surrounds out. People bustling back and forth with different wavelengths cascade around you. For the first time you can feel the symphony of life in a way you never could before. The 'song' of the world is interrupted by another song louder than all the others. A man walks in the crowd with power so strong that it feels like the sources of energy around you grow dimmer.

As you walk along your normal turf a strange sensation takes you over. It is as if you can sense who truly deserves to have their pockets picked. Not only that you find it easier than you ever have before when you take from these people, but impossible on anyone else regardless of difficulty.
In under an hour you are able to acquire the equivalent of 200gp just from this. That is until you notice something in your senses. A power radiates from a rather strangely dressed man. It feels to measure up to your own in some strange way.

There is a time and a places for jokes and silly antics. That time is not during work. When Alex comes into his office for advice, the Doctor snaps up and looks as serious as he is suppose to.

"Come in and have a seat Alexander. For you to come to me like this I can only assume that it is important. Tell me exactly what is happening."

The longer you two spend near each other the more you can start to feel each others powers. They radiate like the warmth of a fire on a cold day. The longer you stay the more certain signs start to show. A crown of flames appears to wreath harmlessly around Treorri's head and a silver royal crest appears on the forehead of Oliver. Each phenomenon is seen only by the prince it is not happening to.

bcool999
2014-10-29, 12:14 PM
Yog

Bowing slightly, Yog tries to put the priest at ease, "Beg pardon for my appearance. I just got off of work in the mines y'see, and didn't really have time to go home and change. I've been having some strange dreams of late, and was hoping the church could give me some peace of mind and answer some questions."

Diplomacy: [roll0]

FearlessGnome
2014-10-29, 03:26 PM
Byron looks in awe at the beauty of the energies he feels. Lives. When the brighter light approaches he can't help but study the man.

Calinero
2014-10-30, 09:22 AM
Curtis

Curtis looks at the strangely-dressed man, curious. He doesn't know how his new powers tied into his suddenly improved luck at pickpocketing, but he doesn't want to risk using them on this newcomer until he knows more. Is this man like him?

Curtis makes his way over to the man, standing calmly in front of him. "Don't think I've seen you around here before."

Jötunn
2014-10-30, 11:02 AM
"Creator forbid, you think there's going to be more of us? If our cousins... No, we're going to have to find them before they find us because if the wrong person finds out who knows what we're going to do with the knowledge."

Oliver leans in close, elbows on the table and massaging his forehead. "Rushkaa, what do you make of all this? I don't disagree that we should use this for the betterment of the people, you know I don't. But the man in my dream - the Creator - said he was bored, bored of us hiding behind a wall. Does he mean for us to go beyond, to tear it down, or... what?"

Ellowryn
2014-10-30, 11:43 AM
A short time later Alex finishes speaking to the doctor about the dream and the effect it had on his perception of the world afterward.

As much as i would like to pass this off as some crazy wine induced dream, given what i now know and what i can do i am forced to confront the fact that i did meet something and it gave me power.

Alex starts to make a fist and then something dawns on him before he begins the spell completion.

It also appears that there are rules to follow as well as i cannot use any of these 'spells' without preparing them in my mind before hand. Something i forgot to do this morning.

Captain Awesome
2014-10-30, 12:20 PM
When you mention preparing you spells, denotative proof that you have power manifests itself. Out of seemingly nowhere a large purple book with a blazing fist crest on the front drops out of no where on the table in front of you.

The doctor stares for a moment. He was calm and listening to your story. All the while he had a distinct look of doubt. Then the large book appearing put the true fear of god in the poor man.

"What the hell!" the Doctor shouted before a look of horror came over his face as his very world was shaken. The dream that sounded insane now seemed to be true.

What might be troubling you my good man
The priest looks notably relaxed when you replied to him like a sensible human being. He then shows you inside and to a backroom used for counseling,"What might be troubling you my good man? You may speak frankly here. There is nothing you may have done that I have not already heard. You will not shock me."

bcool999
2014-10-30, 03:06 PM
Yog

Grateful for being heard, Yog takes a moment to sit and lay down his pick before he thinks on how to respond. Then he says, "Well... I am not so much concerned about anything I have done, but... how do I put this? Does the Creator ever visit people in their dreams? Ya see, just last night I was sleeping in my bed same as always. Didn't eat anything that would give me strange dreams, but then I dreamed I was somewhere strange. The best I would be able to describe it would be a dark mine or cavern that is massive and tiny lights like gems are scattered in the walls all around. Standing in front of me was this... being. It almost hurt to look at him he was so bright. Anyway, he said something about having once given humanity a gift but then we did something boring with it instead of beating up his son? And now he is pretty well fed up with how things stand and wants me to do something about it? Then he said he had something for me and took a piece of himself and stuck it into my chest. It hurt like the blazes and when I woke up I could do this!"

Before he fully thinks his actions through, Yog calls on the power within him and brings it to the surface to show the priest that he isn't talking nonsense.

Visual manifestation.

FearlessGnome
2014-10-30, 03:38 PM
Byron smiles as the man approaches. Did he notice Byron paying attention to him, or could he see Byron's light as well? This was all new to him; he didn't know.

"I'm not surprised; my music is still pretty obscure." Might as well fish for information. "And you? You don't look like an artist, though there is a certain glow about you."

2014-10-30, 08:28 PM
Treorri shook his head. "I doubt our cousins will be so blessed. If this is, indeed, the Creator, everything we know of them suggests they are pure of heart; I doubt such a being would choose some of the most corrupted of their children as their heralds of a new age.I find it more likely that we will find new allies amongst the common folk, although how we should go about finding them, I do not know." He went silent, deep in thought. After several seconds of silence, he spoke up once more, a hint of hesitation in his voice. "Perhaps we are meant to bring down the wall. From what I understand, our ancestors used powerful magicks to seal our people away where the dark forces of the world couldn't get to them. By all accounts, it should've fallen centuries ago; I have a feeling that, should we consult the historical records, we'll find a link between the rebellions of the past and the nobles and royals decision to maintain our vigil within the city."

"It is said that those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither; in that vein, I think it would be good for our race if we were to tear down the walls and spread across the land. On the other hand...if the dark forces our ancestors sealed us away from still remain, they will try to destroy us. Actually, that makes sense: if the Creator is bored with our ancestors using their gifts to hide and defend, perhaps we have received these powers to bring down both the wall and the monsters it protected us from!" Once again, Treorri lapsed into silence. "And yet...I don't think we're powerful enough to combat the darkness yet. We need to train up, learn the extent of our powers, learn their limits. We need to find our new allies and learn to work as a team; if we can't, we'll never be able to free our people, or protect them from the forces beyond the city walls."

"Whatever else we may do, our first order of business should be to find our fellow prophets. Once we've accomplished that, we'll figure out what to do next."

Since it looks like it's going to become very important very quickly, I'm going to finish my contacts and enemies lists on my character sheet.

Calinero
2014-10-31, 08:11 AM
Curtis

Curtis hesitates a moment at the man's words. He considers engaging in the wordplay--but no. He has spent too long having to sidestep issues. Now, he has the strength to confront them head on.

"You had the dream too, then," he says quietly, appraising the man in front of him. If the Creator had also given this man power...did that mean he was an ally? Then again, the being that appeared to him that morning hadn't seemed to care much about human conflicts. It was difficult to say.

FearlessGnome
2014-10-31, 11:36 AM
Byron's smile broadens at the blunt reply. "I did. You don't seem to mince words, so I wonder: What kind of 'change' do you intend on causing?"

Calinero
2014-10-31, 01:22 PM
Curtis looks the man up and down, trying to get a feel for him. The man didn't seem to be on edge--he seemed curious.

"I have my issues with the nobility," said Curtis, "And the way the lowborn are treated. But that didn't seem to be the type of change that our benefactor had in mind."

FearlessGnome
2014-10-31, 01:32 PM
Byron tilts his head as he listens, and nods. "He did seem a bit... bored. Like he just wanted to switch things up. I'm afarid I'm one of the highborn of which you speak, although I agree. They are stale. They want nothing but for everything to stay the same. The system benefits them, even as it stifles them and molds them into the shape of their parents." Byron grimaces. "A golden cage is still a cage, even if the people down here have it worse." He gestures with his arms to include the whole street.

Calinero
2014-10-31, 02:16 PM
Curtis nods, still not quite relaxing. It was easy for nobles to use fine words--that didn't mean they had any understanding of what it was like to live down here. To compare the noble's plight to Curtis's was proof enough of that.

"Then what change are you seeking," Curtis asks. "Breaking the cage entirely?"

FearlessGnome
2014-10-31, 02:59 PM
Byron shakes his head. "I've never been violent. But I only just awoke. I haven't had time to think... But for myself, I guess I wanted to break the cage. With this power..." Byron looks at the palm of his hand for a second. "I don't know how strong it is. What it can do. " He meets the man's eyes. "And I don't know what I can do for others. Incite violence? That didn't work out so well last time. If the change we can bring is significant I'm all for it, but I won't break the cage by burning down the house."

Ellowryn
2014-10-31, 06:26 PM
Well that was, looking the book over, interesting. For some reason Alex felt a connection to the book, like it was an extension of his being.

Flipping it open and looking over the arcane script words and formulas form in his mind and he slowly speaks the names that comes to him.

Arcane Mark... Protection from Evil... Grease...

Closing the book, he pauses for a moment to clear his mind. There would be time later to memorize the inscriptions that would allow him to use his new-found power, but first there are more questions to be answered.

Well then doctor i believe you understand the situation and my worry. Any thoughts on my altered perception or what was the source of my new power?

copycatcat
2014-11-02, 05:26 PM
Melari stirs, and immediately dons blade and armor. She strikes the dummy installed in her room for practice. "The void.. something's missing."

1.I thought I had posted, and
2.I forgot to subscribe to the threads.

Calinero
2014-11-03, 09:51 AM
Curtis grimaces at Byron. "It's easy for those on top to say we shouldn't use violence--they are so rarely the victims of it. But I understand your position." He sighs. "Perhaps we should seek out a better understanding of our abilities before we do anything...drastic. Are there others?"

FearlessGnome
2014-11-03, 11:22 AM
Byron shrugs. "You are the first I have seen. Everyone has a light, but not like us. Although... I haven't seen another person, but I saw a creature. A cat, made of shadow. It said it was supposed to watch me. Has He sent such a creature to you, as well?"

Captain Awesome
2014-11-03, 02:10 PM
The priest is silent the entire time. He watches you trying to hide the look on his face that he had when you first came in. As you continue your story the priest begins to look more and more s if he thinks you are crazy... That is until the heart an veins of your body begin to glow blue. The priest justs u wit ha started look before becoming overcome with awe. The man falls to his knees and weeps.

"After over 2 millennium... he finally has given his blessing again! He is not ignoring us!"

The doctor looks at you quietly. he the takes his cup and sniffs it a few times before taking another sip," All I can tell you is that is magical. The word is all I know about the stuff. I can tell you from my limited experience that the plague does not cause this sort of thing o manifest.... Beyond that... Wow."

As you begin to train with your blade you start to notice an odd feeling. You can seem to sense the forges at work around you. Each time a hammer falls upon equipment being inlaid with you can just almost see fireworks out of the corner of your eye. You can feel the forges and work yet you atre still in your room.

As the two of you converse, a rather tall and thin crimson guardsman enters the room. Unlike the other two, and in fact unlike any that you two have ever seen, this one wears ranking denoting him as a captain. The man speaks and it is a cal and refined voice that seems to command respect,"Greetings Gentleman."

As the cat is mentioned, a billowing cloud of shadows climbs out of the shadow cast by Byron. It then coalesces into the form of a cat sitting on the Muse's shoulder,"That probably would be a good thing to ask."

((Both of you can hear him in your head.)

bcool999
2014-11-03, 02:58 PM
Yog

Slightly shocked by the man all but prostrating himself and weeping, Yog cuts off the light show and waits for the man to calm down a bit. Then he asks, "So... do you have any answers for me? Can you explain what is going on with me and why?"

2014-11-03, 03:34 PM
Treorri slips back into the mask of casual aristocracy he wears while within the palace and conversing with nobles; "when in the mines, do as the miners do" and all that, you know. "Captain," he calls out in greeting. "A lovely morning so far, wouldn't you say?" Gesturing towards the upturned cards, he asks "Care to have your fortune told, or would you prefer to get straight to business?", as he sweeps up the cards and begins shuffling in anticipation. So far, no member of the Crimson Guard has allowed him to tell their fortune, but he always asks, just to be sure. Of course, it was unlikely that a captain of the Guard was here by coincidence: whatever he was here about, it was important. But what was it, Treorri wondered.

Firstly, I'm actually attempting a Diplomacy check, using the Giant's homebrew Diplomacy rule (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/jFppYwv7OUkegKhONNF.html) you specified in your original Big 16. Using the PF Diplomacy rules as a reference, I see that making a request could generally be assumed to take only a few rounds; given that the Diplomacy fix in use has a stated action of 1 minute, but also makes no allowances for PF necessary uses, including as a substitute for Gather Information, I think the single round of action is a reasonable time frame and doesn't constitute a rushed Diplomacy check.

My roll is 1d20+8. According to the Diplomacy fix in use, the target DC in this case is 15+captain's lvl+captain's Wis mod+relationship modifier (which I estimate to be +0: Indifferent)+Risk vs. Reward modifier (which I estimate to be +5: Unfavorable, seeing as both that the Crimson Guard has a reputation of unflappability that this might threaten, and he's likely here on business and this would distract from it).

Please note that, since both of these estimations are based on my observations of the setting, they could very well be quite different from what I thought.

2014-11-03, 03:36 PM
Uh, let's try that again...

[roll0]

Oh dear. I guess that's gonna be a failure, then...

Calinero
2014-11-03, 05:26 PM
Curtis

Curtis blinks, unconsciously taking a step back as the cat appears. Catching himself, he looks around to see if anyone else in the market has noticed.

"Can...can those around us see that?" he says quietly, looking at the cat. "I...don't have an animal, but there was a tiny man who appeared."

copycatcat
2014-11-03, 07:21 PM
Melari continues the blade strikes. "Blade.. swinging... into the void.. black.. the emerald.. magic.. books.. spells.. power.. mine.. Melari.. for the Camazots.. strike.. blade.. true.."

FearlessGnome
2014-11-03, 07:52 PM
Byron hesitates. "Biscuit, don't let yourself be seen. Not like..." He gestures to show he means the 'billowing smoke' thing, "...that."

He looks back at Curtis (Not that he knows the name yet). He squints curiously. "A tiny man? Like stunted growth tiny, or...?"

Captain Awesome
2014-11-04, 05:16 AM
After a few minutes the ‘worldly’ priest before you does return to his senses fully. He reclaims his seat as well as his composure, but the look in his eyes is akin to the wonder one seen in a child that is first told of god. The priest does his best to remain calm yet excitement does waver back and forth into his tone,” I cannot tell you why. All I can say is that you have been blessed by the creator. You are his agent of Change and a beacon of his goodwill towards all sentiments.”

The Captain walks calmly into the room. You can tell by his animated hands and exaggerated body language that this is a man that has spent a long long time convening his emotions to others without the aid of a face. His unrestricted flowing movements much like a restricted dance towards your table seems to speak of bounding joy.

“Oh my dear prince,” an all too familiar but aged voice says to Alexander,” It is indeed a glorious morning, as are all mornings ion the King’s Imperial Crimson Guard. Business however can wait. I am most interested to see if your powers of divination are as accurate as that say. Hehe.”

((The cards you draw, in order, are the Dance, The Fiend, and the Desert. However there is a truly odd sensation you get. You cannot tell if this is about him or you.))

"Of course they can see me, when I want them too. As I am no longer cloaked in darkness it is a bit harder to do so. They unfortunately cannot hear me no matter how hard I try. Two grown men talking to a cat however can be both seen and heard by those around. Not that it will matter soon much anyway. I told you that you should have eaten.” Breadcap said as it began cleaning his front paws while sitting on Byron’s shoulder with perfect balance even if he moves.

2014-11-04, 05:49 AM
Treorri arches an eyebrow ever-so-slightly as he continues shuffling, evaluating the captain. Finishing quickly, he turns over the top card. "The Dance," he says, his eyes flicking away to the card, before flicking back to the captain, his mask of cool indifference solidly in place. "A carefully choreographed maneuver, which can be upset by enough misteps. To pull it off, all of the moving parts--all of the people involved--must work together, or failure is imminent." He draws the next card, and his mask slips, a touch of concern shining through. "The Fiend. Quite a troubling pairing. It reveals a threat to innocence, perhaps in the form of a great disaster; with it, it brings widespread suffering, injury, and even death." Another card drawn. "The Desert. A hostile, harsh environment that cannot be survived without help. Only through cooperation, and perhaps the aid of the powerful, does survival become possible."

"As for what it means...perhaps the Dance signifies a careful act of teamwork could allow us to avoid disaster, with the desert representing how hopeless survival may be should we fail. Alternatively, the disaster may very well be inevitable, in which case careful, continuous cooperation will be necessary to survive." After a few moments, his usual small smile returns to him. "Of course, the scale of this disaster is unclear; it could be as small as a simple trade dispute between districts. Still, best to be prepared, in case it's more important than that. And as always, the tarot is not the most accurate of readings; this could very well tell of something that never comes about."

"Now, onto business! I can't imagine you're simply here to have your fortune told, or to comment on morning mood."

Firstly, all too familiar? Do I know this person?

Secondly, I'm rolling a Sense Motive, to try and get a feel for their intentions: [roll0].

EDIT: Dang, two 2's in a row. I'm on fire tonight.

Jötunn
2014-11-04, 05:55 AM
Oliver watches the captain's fortune, brow furrowed with thought. Coordination, a singular but widespread enemy, a harsh and hostile environment... Why do I get the feeling that the cards are talking about our future, not the captain's? Outside the wall is likely the definitive example of a hostile environment, and the Destroyer...

He shakes his head as a shiver goes down his spine, then looks up.

"Yes, what can we do for you, Captain?"

Captain Awesome
2014-11-04, 06:05 AM
The tall thin. Man clad in bronze and crimson sits almost inhumanly still. When Treorri finishes speaking the Captain calmly crossed his hands in front of him. It was almost as though he had been told bad news. That was quickly covered over by the previous overanimated joyousness.

"The three of us are going to be having quite the busy day. Did you truly think that anything can happen to one of you two without us knowing?"

You recognize it but you are not sure where. That goes for been of you.

2014-11-04, 06:27 AM
Treorri continues smiling. "Well, I imagine that our thoughts might be secured away from the gaze of the Crimson Guard, but there's few thoughts that "happen" to a person so much as "come" to them. Still, certain thoughts can become ideas, and ideas can become beliefs, and beliefs can become actions, which are much easier to make happen than thoughts are." A brief pause takes place, as Treorri seems quite amused with himself. "In any case, should another's thoughts become actions that "happen" to a member of the royal family, I would certainly hope that the Crimson Guard was aware of these actions; it's difficult to guard something...or someone...of you remain unaware of the things happening to them."

Treorri continues to meet the man's gaze, still trying to determine who lies beneath the mask, and how he knows them. "So, captain, what has happened to us?"

Treorri is attempting two things during this conversation. Firstly, turning his mind to his past to try and determine when or where he's met this person and who they might be. This could be a straight Int check, straight Wis check, Sense Motive check, Knowledge (Local) check, or Knowledge (Nobility), if I'm not mistaken. Seeing as I'm unsure which is the best method, I'll attempt all five.

Intelligence: [roll0]
Wisdom: [roll1]
Sense Motive: [roll2]
Knowledge (Local): [roll3]
Knowledge (Nobility): [roll4]

Note: please only use whichever check you think is appropriate for determining this.

Secondly, he's performing some verbal maneuvering: he doesn't want to admit to the captain what happened, since it could become a problem if too many people know about these powers, but if the captain already knows, there's no point beating around the bush. By asking what the captain thinks is happening, Treorri puts him on the spot to reveal his knowledge of the powers or his lack of said knowledge. Alternatively, he may not want to reveal his knowledge yet, and may respond with something in as pretentious and roundabout a manner as Treorri has just done. Regardless, Treorri is attempting a Diplomacy roll to convince the captain to speak plainly about the powers he may or may not know about.

Diplomacy Roll: [roll5]

Calinero
2014-11-04, 09:16 AM
Curtis

Curtis forcefully redirects his attention to Byron, ignoring the cat even when speaking towards it--it was right, speaking to a cat would draw attention.

"There was a man who looked like the one from the dream, but six inches tall. In my room. It was...strange," he admits. Then, what the cat said catches up with him. Not that it will matter soon anyway... That sounded ominous. Slightly alarmed, Curtis glances around the marketplace, trying to see if they have drawn attention.

Ellowryn
2014-11-04, 10:38 AM
Well, seeing as i don't appear to be in immediate medical danger from this, and you don't have any idea what is happening or why, i think we are done here doctor. Thank you for your time.

Alex gets up and gives a short bow to the doctor before turning to leave the room. Right before he goes out the door he stops, Oh and would you let me know if you do happen to find out anything related to this? Unfortunately i cannot leave the city so i assume finding me will not be difficult.

Book in hand, he walks out of the palace area, turning only once to scowl in the direction of the main audience hall and then heading to the next place that he can think of to try and find information on his transformation. The clergy of the city.

FearlessGnome
2014-11-04, 11:19 AM
Whatever Curtis may have noticed, it flew right by Byron. "Six inches tall? That's cool! I'd like to see this man some time."

bcool999
2014-11-04, 01:11 PM
Rubbing his stubble covered chin with a contemplative look on his face, Yog says, "So the church doesn't have any idea what God wants with me other than that it is important..." Yog sighs and throws his hands up before standing. "Well, it wasn't what I was hoping for, but thank you for your time." Yog says as he reaches out a hand to the priest to shake, "If you could try to keep this quiet so the Crimson Guard doesn't hear of me I would sure appreciate it. Last thing I want is to have them kicking in my door in the middle of the night."

If the priest doesn't stop him, Yog will then shoulder his pick and make his way back to the station, just as uncertain of what he should do as he was when he entered.

Captain Awesome
2014-11-06, 04:11 AM
The Captain meticulously intertwined his fingers before letting out a heavy sigh. As the captain placed his hands onto the table before him, all of the windows went black as though they had been covered in unison.

"I know not how both of you spontaneously generated the mass of power you now have. You will be telling me one way or another. I would prefer to keep this civil." The captain said as he rose and stepped towards the door.

"Please, follow me."

The crowd is growing quickly thinner. People are clearing out all around despite it being a busy Street. Not just that, several Crimson Guardsmen are coming toward the pare from multiple direction.

Breadcap leaps to the ground before walking back towards an alley,"I would recommend not fighting against them. You two are not strong enough yet."

As you step out of the office, your father stands before you with a Crimson Guardsmen flanking him on both sides. A look of genuine concern is upon his face.

"Son... These men have come to take you to the royal tower. You are representing our whole family today. Be mindful."

At the station half a dozen guard are standing calmly by an empty train that should be full of people heading to the residential district. One of the group steps forward when you come into sight despite distance the man speaks in a calm clear voice that is heard as if he was standing right in front of you.

"Place make your way to the express Elevator Mr Shatterstone."

A loud rapping come from your door. Over the last few days your world has begun to change drastically. Uriel has been taking more of an interest in your life. It almost seems like the aging man has been scouting you.

" Miss Melari, you have a visitor! Lord Uriel is here to see you."

Jötunn
2014-11-06, 04:48 AM
"How could we refuse such a courteous request. I assume that we're going to meet Grandfather?"

Oliver looks at Treorr and grins bravely. "Come, cousin! I'm sure if we but explain our situation we will be able to discuss this like rational men." He stands up, but turns and leans over to Treorri to mutter "Don't you think he sounds a little like, well, you?"

With that, he waits a moment for a response and then follows the captain out of the room.

Just to clarify,'Grandfather' is the king.

Also, I plan to kick up a fuss if we head anywhere that doesn't seem like we're heading towards where the king would logically be - e.g. throne room, his suite/study etc. So keep that in mind. Especially if we head further downstairs than I'd like :smalltongue:

Ellowryn
2014-11-06, 09:15 AM
I am always mindful father, as i always represent our family. Alex replies to his father while staring hard at the guards.

The question is, why do i need an escort? I do believe the Crimson Guardsmen have better things to do with the city in such a state than follow me.

Ales will wait a moment for his father to answer before heading off to the Royal Tower at his own pace, regardless of his new escorts.

2014-11-06, 09:56 AM
Treorri regards the captain with growing suspicion, but for now, he will trust his cousin's judgement on the matter. "As you say, Oliver."

He rises out of his chair slowly, his harrow deck still in hand. With a glance at the remaining cards, a flick of his wrist, and the command "Return.", the three cards fly back into the deck. Treorri plays it cool, putting the deck away in a belt pouch as if nothing supernatural had happened, and says "Off to meet with His Highness, then? Fantastic! Lead on, captain."

Treorri watches to see if the captain leaves first, or insists on them going in front; his past experience with law enforcement is telling him not to let his guard down around this person, whoever they are.

Treorri casts Mage Hand to summon the cards back to the deck. Other than that, he's reeeeally suspicious of this guy, and isn't gonna want him out of sight; the fact that he sounds like Treorri himself is doubly suspicious, and in no way makes Treorri want to trust him. In his opinion, the captain should lead the way, and if they aren't going straight to the king, he's...actually, I'm not yet sure what he's going to do. I'll have to think it through a lot more from Treorri's PoV and figure out what makes sense, given his personality and whatnot.

bcool999
2014-11-06, 11:03 AM
Yog

Grinding his teeth as he sees the Crimson Guardsman approach, Thoughts wildly fly through Yog's head, They found me already? Am I that careless, or did they have other methods? Have they done anything to my family?

Visibly tensing at the thought, Yog eyes the approaching guard and says, "Aye, I will come with ya... If you can give my your word that no harm has befallen my family in my absence." He sets his glowing eyes directly on where the Crimson Guardsman's eyes should be, hard to tell with the helmet and such, and hopes it unnerves them as much as most men.

[roll0] to tell if he lies in his assurances of my families safety.

Once given a satisfying response, Yog stands down and lets himself be disarmed and led to the elevator. As he walks he thinks to himself, Ahhh Nora, please forgive your fool of a husband for chasing after priests when he should have been home to say his goodbyes.

Calinero
2014-11-06, 12:01 PM
Curtis

Curtis tenses as he sees the guardsmen approach.

"Your cat may be wise," he says. "The Crimson Guard is coming. I'm assuming you don't want to fight them?" he says to Byron. Curtis glances down the alley the cat is in, judging its merit as an escape route.

FearlessGnome
2014-11-06, 12:18 PM
"The Crimson-" Byron cuts off as he finally notices what everyone else has seen. "Ah. Yeah, let's bail."

For all his rejection of the gilded cage up Above, Byron has kept to the well lit areas below to avoid trouble, so even though he is close to the tavern he has been staying at, he's not very familiar with the alleys and passages in the area. Quickly taking note of which directions the Crimson Guards are coming from, he begins to move into the alley (Unless it's an obvious dead end/Curtis moves in a different diretion). It seems they have some way of detecting the supernatural.

copycatcat
2014-11-06, 04:56 PM
"I understand. Tell him he may come in the room if he closes the door upon entrance."

Calinero
2014-11-06, 07:23 PM
Curtis

Curtis turns to follow Byron and the cat down the alleyway--hopefully he'll find an escape route he recognizes.

Captain Awesome
2014-11-07, 01:02 PM
The Captain steps through the doorway first. In fact he does not even look back to see if you are following. When you eventually step through the doorway you are in a completely grey room. The walls, floor, and ceiling all appear to be metallic with no seams. There also is no door behind you. All that exists in this room is Seven chairs. The room is also oddly well lit despite there being no visible light sources. Another man stands in the room with glowing blue eyes. He looks just as confused as you two.

((This is where I will have to leave you two. Until everyone else shows up there will be no more story posts for you two.))

"You are not being taken there as a guest. You are under arrest. They are here to take you in for questioning. You are to leave your weapons behind and get in their transport." Your father says in a quite calm town as two the Guard stand resolute.

"Your family will not be bothered. If we like what you tell us, you may even find that they live better than you have ever imagined."

The guardsman then take your weapons and lead you inside the elevator, but when you step into the elevator you enter a strange grey room. The walls, floor, and ceiling all appear to be metallic with no seams. There also is no door behind you. All that exists in this room is Seven chairs. The room is also oddly well lit despite there being no visible light sources. Two other men stand in the room looking as confused as you.

When you step down that alley you still see Breadcap, but you also see a Guardsman. Breadcap looks back and speaks calmly in your minds," Let them take you. You must meet the others."

The guardsman stands straight as the masked face peers at you two," Lord Byron of house Bengor, and Sir Curtis of the Thieve's guild, please come with me. We of the guard have some very important questions for you two."

The guardsman then reaches to the alley wall and opens a door that was definitely not there before.

Moments later the aging Uriel steps through your door. In the last few months he has grown quite ill. Neither medical science or the faith healing of the clergy could heal. Leaning on a cane he breaths a few deep breaths before talking," Greetings Melari. The time has come to tell you the truth. You are my child. When my own wife was shown to be barren I took it upon myself to spread my seed. I had six bastard. You are the one that has proven worthy to be my heir. When I pass you will become the head of the family."

2014-11-07, 01:18 PM
Treorri takes in the man before him, even as he glances around the room for any sign of the captain. The tall, pale miner--those eyes left no mystery as to his profession--was solidly build, and wore rather armor. In fact, when he looked closer, he realized that it was glowstone-laden full plate! How did a miner come by that, he wondered...

Never one to miss an opportunity to make an acquaintance, Treorri stepped towards the large fellow; tilting his head and torso in a small bow, he said "Fair morning to you, my good man! Allow me to introduce myself: my name is Treorri Rushkaa, eldest son of Madame Scillia, of the Nightingale guild. Might I have your name?"

Am I right in assuming that this is Yog who stands before Oliver and I?

FearlessGnome
2014-11-07, 01:34 PM
Byron freezes when he sees the guardman.

But. The cat was telling them to surrender. The cat that was put there to look after the big guy's entertainment. And if they were going to die or be locked up for the rest of their lives, that would probably not be very entertaining. So... The cat probably did have their best interests at heart. ...Right now, at least.

Byron slowly nods and, looking more fearful than he really is (though he is obviously worried), he silently follows the man. Should the opportunity present itself when the guard is not watching them, he'll turn to Curtis for a moment and let the fear melt off his face to show that he has not entirely given up just yet.

Calinero
2014-11-07, 02:53 PM
Curtis

Curtis tenses, every instinct screaming against willingly going with these men. But he sees Byron, and hears the cat, and knows he has few other options. Besides...he has been arrested before.

"Very well," he says.

Captain Awesome
2014-11-07, 03:16 PM
When you both agree, the Crimson Guard steps back and motions towards the doorway.

Calinero
2014-11-07, 03:20 PM
Curtis

Curtis holds his head high and walks through the door.

FearlessGnome
2014-11-07, 05:42 PM
In he goes.

Maybe breakfast would be nice.

copycatcat
2014-11-07, 06:09 PM
"Of course, Father, but there surely is more. At least, some festivity or festival, mayhaps a contest, will occur in the name, but I doubt it. If that was all, you would have called me into that home of yours, Father." When Melari speaks, her voice is extremely civilized and diplomatic, except when she says Father. That's said snarkily.

Captain Awesome
2014-11-07, 06:09 PM
When you eventually step through the doorway you are in a completely grey room. The walls, floor, and ceiling all appear to be metallic with no seams. There also is no door behind you. All that exists in this room is Seven chairs. The room is also oddly well lit despite there being no visible light sources.

Three men stand in the room. One has glowing eyes and the other two bare royal crests.

To everyone in the room, Curtis and Byron just appear.

2014-11-07, 06:19 PM
"Gentlemen," Treorri calls out in greeting. "Welcome to...wherever we are. Can I assume you were also...invited here by the Crimson Guard?" Pausing for a second, he continues "Where are my manners? Allow me to introduce myself: my name is Treorri Rushkaa, son of Madame Scillia of the Nightingale guild. And what might your names be?"

Captain Awesome
2014-11-07, 06:35 PM
Uriel coughs hard several times bringing up blood as he did so," I understand your disdain of me, but for the good of the house I need you to put that all behind you. At the rate my body is deteriorating I will be dead within two fortnight. You are my fist choice, but if you refuse to be my heir I will find another. If you so choose, there is a transport waiting to take you to the royal tower."

copycatcat
2014-11-07, 06:38 PM
"Of course I would enjoy this honor. I am merely suggesting that you have more to say."

Captain Awesome
2014-11-07, 06:43 PM
"I have much to say to you my dear child. I was cruel to you and your mother. You may not believe me but everything I did was because a vision given to me in a dream. The sooner you head to the tower the sooner you can return and speak with me."

FearlessGnome
2014-11-07, 06:45 PM
"Oh. There's five of us." Byron frowns. And two princes...

When Treorri finishes Byron nods a little stiffly, mostly because there are royalties in the room. "I am Byron. Of House Bengor I suppose. Did we all have the dream, then?"

copycatcat
2014-11-07, 06:46 PM
Melari, keeping her blade in hand, whispers, "Of course, Father," the volume likely too quiet to hear, with no snark on Father, then runs off toward the tower.

Captain Awesome
2014-11-07, 06:50 PM
When you step outside there is a transport manned by crimson guard. One stand by one of the back doors holding it open," This way Lady Camazots. "

copycatcat
2014-11-07, 06:52 PM
Melari runs off that direction, speaking no words. She waits for the Guard prior to being too near to the tower.

2014-11-07, 07:00 PM
"Oh. There's five of us." Byron frowns. And two princes...

When Treorri finishes Byron nods a little stiffly, mostly because there are royalties in the room. "I am Byron. Of House Bengor I suppose. Did we all have the dream, then?"

At the mention of dreams, Treorri's good-natured smile takes on a few aspects of a full blown grin, before quickly returning to its previous appearance. The tarot reading had come true! There were others like them! As the grin disappeared, his thoughts turned to the other tarot reading: disaster, a delicate dance, and the teamwork necessary to survive.

Shaking himself out of his mental reverie, he replied "Aye, we've had dreams as well. Also, there's seven of us, I think, although two haven't arrived yet." He gestures towards the chairs in explanation. After a moment of silence, he asks "Were you also instructed to make the world more entertaining?", figuring this to be a fairly subtle way of confirming their similarly prophetic dreams.

Ellowryn
2014-11-07, 07:12 PM
Under... Arrest...? Alex stares at his father now, giving him a very hard long look.

And what could i possibly be being arrested for? Turning to the guards, What are the charges?

I don't have my weapons or armor, just normal wear for running around the city, oh a my new spellbook. Also, Alex would have known not to approach the tower by himself, i however did not, so just let me know if i make a really bad mistake OOC and i will edit my posts.

Captain Awesome
2014-11-07, 07:19 PM
When you eventually step through the doorway you are in a completely grey room. The walls, floor, and ceiling all appear to be metallic with no seams. There also is no door behind you. All that exists in this room is Seven chairs. The room is also oddly well lit despite there being no visible light sources.

Five men stand in the room. One has glowing eyes and the other two bare royal crests.

To everyone in the room Melari now appears.

"They will only say that they want you for questioning. I am not allowed to know more. I know my sob would not do anything dishonorable. If you follow them to their transport."

((Then we will simply pretend that it did not happen.))

copycatcat
2014-11-07, 07:25 PM
"Hello there. I am Melari. Who are you, and why have you come here?"

Ellowryn
2014-11-07, 10:27 PM
Hrmph, arrested without informing the person of their crimes is hardly civil, but it appears that someone wants to meet me in the tower and i have no further pressing business to attend to. He looks at the guards and sighs.

I will hopefully see you soon father, once i have cleared up this matter. Good day. Guards, lead on.

bcool999
2014-11-07, 11:18 PM
Yog looked around at the room, dumbfounded for a moment. When talked to by the Noble claiming ties to the Nightingales, he is unsure how to react. Suddenly feeling exhausted from today's stress, Yog lets out a heavy sigh and sinks into one of the chairs in the room.

"Yog. My name is Yog." He eventually says, weariness evident in his voice, I don't know how much more I can take today.

Captain Awesome
2014-11-07, 11:44 PM
The guard to your father's right bows and steps back opening up a closet door," It may seem strange Young Lord Krissen, but please come this way."

Five men stand in the room. One has glowing eyes and the other two bare royal crests. One woman with armor marked as House Camazots is also inside.

FearlessGnome
2014-11-08, 05:31 PM
And so there were six.

Featureless though the room is, Byron approaches the chairs. Are they all identical? Anything interesting about them?

"Entertaining? Yes, he did say that. Anyone know what this place is?"

Ellowryn
2014-11-08, 07:35 PM
Well this is interesting. Alex looks the group over, recognizing a few. Spotting the princes he sighs.

Hello Prince Treorri, Prince Oliver, he gives a quick salute, it seems you two have been up to no good again.

Turning to the Heir of House Camazots and bows. Melarina was it? Im sorry, i have only meet you a few times and only briefly so forgive me if i misremembered.

And hello to the rest of you, my name is Alexander Krissen, it is a pleasure to meet you. So, does anybody know why we are all here? As for where i was told this was the royal tower. My arrival was quite forced and given the current state of the city i have better things to do than hang around with the princes.

copycatcat
2014-11-08, 07:40 PM
Just Melari, please. That last syllable... it brings reminders.

Captain Awesome
2014-11-09, 01:55 AM
With all seven of you in the room now, there comes a change. Near the back of the room a fine wooden desk appears. Sitting on the Desk is a single Crimson guard. The Guard is tall and lanky. For the two princes they easily recognize the rank insignia from before. The man sits with both his legs and his hands crossed. For a moment he is silent just waiting for someone to start to say something just so that he can interrupt that person.

The guard Captain Stands and spreads his arms before bowing," Greetings one and all! My name is... well that is not important. What is important is that you seven have all gained power greater than anyone born in two millennium. I must admit this is quite fascinating. Lets start this little....... inquiry... with how this came to be. Are you seven linked in some way? I am so curious. Regale me of your wondrous tale."

Ellowryn
2014-11-09, 09:14 AM
Alex finds an open chair and sits down.

Oh no, i insist you go first. Tell us why you decided to have me arrested and taken here under threat of violence and death. And seeing the tactics you used to get me here i believe it is safe to assume you used the same methods to gather the others. I have always found that the services of the crimson guard to be unimportant and their methods violent and unjust, so please enlighten us as to why you felt the need to act as you did.

Oh, and for the record, had you asked i would have come anyways with no need for theatrics.

FearlessGnome
2014-11-09, 04:38 PM
Byron decides he likes this Alex person.

copycatcat
2014-11-09, 04:45 PM
Arrested with no purpose and brought here? And I thought vague deceit could be the worst force ending one in the royal tower.

Calinero
2014-11-09, 08:57 PM
Curtis

Curtis hangs back as others appear in the room, getting his bearings. Any attempt at looking for patterns among the group seems to fail--they ranged from apparent nobility to the lowest of thieves. He cannot help but snort as the higher-born attempt to turn the conversation against the Crimson Guard. Typical of nobles, to think that fine words can help when the other side has all the power.

"The likes of me have anything in common with them?" Curtis asks, nodded at the nobles. "Not likely. I'm Curtis Black. I'm just as confused as you are. I am a bit curious, though--if you didn't have the dreams, how do you even know about us? It hasn't been more than a few hours since I even woke up."

bcool999
2014-11-10, 09:35 PM
Yog shakes his heads at the nobles answer to the crimson guard. If you had any sense you wouldn't dare the cave to fall in on you. What if the crimson guard here decided to just leave for a week or two? There is no way out of this box that I see. They could just leave us here to stave and thirst or take each others lives for sustenance and not have to raise a blade or red hot poker to make us suffer. Maybe the nobles in this room think that such a fate would not befall them? I hope for all our sakes that they are right.

Yog remains silent and seated in his chair, feeling uncomfortable in his new surroundings and not wanting to draw too much attention to himself should the noble's words draw the guard's ire.

copycatcat
2014-11-10, 09:54 PM
"What dreams might you be referring to, Curtis Black? I only had visions of the void that shaped us to occupy my sleepy thoughts overnight.. and I feel no power now. I cannot cast.'

Captain Awesome
2014-11-11, 12:43 AM
After a moment of silence the guard captain began to laugh. At first it was but a light chuckle, but quickly the laughing turned loud and uncontrolled. It was several minutes the captain calmed down. The man stood and drew from his belt a kukri with a blade made entirely out of glowstone. That kukri released so much power the room actually feels charged. Setting the blade on the table, the masked face turned towards Alexander. The captain then spoke in a low tone that denoted a rising wave of rage that is being held back," You do not seem to understand little boy. You and everyone in this city is insignificant except for three people. If I were to kill you now nothing would change. You have no authority here at all. Do you really think your role is important? Do you think fighting outside the wall does anything? The guard are the ones that defend the city. The things outside cannot damage the wall. The only real threats are already inside. The tasks of patrolling was only ever given to your people to keep you busy. Now unless you can speak to your betters with more respect sit down and shut up! "

The Captain then looked to Curtis and sat down,"Ah, young thief. I do so love your organization. You people do your best to improve the lives of your people without another useless and costly rebellion. Some of my best Guards come from your group."

The captain then tabs his mask before explaining to Curtis, "We of the guard can detect magic signatures. At almost the same moment seven suns erupted into being in the city. That is how you all are similar. Now, please tell me of your dream."

2014-11-11, 06:40 AM
Treorri remained silent, taking his time to observe both the captain and his new allies: a few nobles, a tough miner with rather thick mining gear, a cynical thief, cousin Ollie, and Treorri himself. These seven, apparently, were to be entrusted with making the universe more entertaining. As he observed the group, they continued to spout off at the captain, whether with snappy retorts or dismissive cynicism. He gave a small sigh as the thief both denied and then confirmed a connection between he seven of them that the captain was assuredly already aware of anyway, making the point of the man's clumsy deflection even more moot that it already was. More pointless posturing...

A thought occurred to him as he watched on: the Creator wanted them to make things interesting; seven people dying in a box surely wasn't all that interesting for the being who created entire worlds to entertain them. No, they were intended for something more than this, and Treorri doubted that the will of the Creator would be so easily overcome by any group of mortals, even the Crimson Guard. He didn't know how, but he just knew that they would make it out of this cell...somehow.

He straightened up as the captain verbally abused his new companions. "This charade is pointless, captain. If you were going to kill us, you would've done so; if you were going to merely question us, you would've done so individually, to avoid giving us any opportunity to rally together; if the Crimson Guard is so capable of keeping the powers that be on the other side of the city walls, than how come seven people gained extraordinary power literally overnight? There is no rising conspiracy, no brewing rebellion. I did not gain my newfound powers from anyone in this city."

"It appears to me, captain, that you misunderstand the nature of walls. Their purpose, of course, it to keep out unwanted intruders. The unspecified hope of those building the walls is that the would-be intruders will leave once they discover that the wall cannot be breached. Indeed, this is often the case; they have better things to do than give themselves a concussion running headlong into your wall over and over for no gain. But there are things in the world that exist only to bypass the wall, and they've got nothing but time. They've had centuries to observe the wall, centuries to test it for weaknesses. You think they would show their hand before they're ready? If so, you have made a dire mistake: you've underestimated the enemy you claim to protect this city from."

"There are many things I'm unsure of, captain. I'm unsure of the extent of these new powers; I'm unsure if I'm fit to wield them; I'm unsure if my new companions are either; I'm unsure of what you truly want from us, since this is obviously not so simple an inquiry as you've made it out to be. But there's one thing I'm sure of: these walls around us right now? They won't stand forever. Dying in this room is not our destiny, and Fickle Fate has more power to knock down walls than you have to build them with."

"Maybe you can and will contain us here forever, if you feel the need. But it won't matter for anyone but us. You were right when you said we aren't important: there are others in this city, plenty of others who will be handed the mantle of power next. And the powers that be will grow impatient and bored if you simply kidnap and kill them whenever they show up. Eventually, they won't be making people into suns, but into black holes, powerful people who won't be contained by any cell as simple as this. Face it: however powerful we may or may not be, it's better to just let us live than to kill us for information and have other groups, each more powerful than the last, replace us time after time, until eventually, your walls cannot contain them."

"So please, cut with the bull****, captain. If you wish to gain information, it might be prudent to offer some of your own. It's only polite, seeing as you'e gone to the trouble of kidnapping us to have this little chat."

Treorri's basic thought through this is "Crimson Guard vs. Creator's Will; Creator's Will wins. We won't be trapped here forever because that would be a boring end to this story, which the Creator doesn't want. This knowledge is causing him to question the supposed strength of the captain's bargaining position, even if the captain has no reason to believe his stance is weak at all.

Captain Awesome
2014-11-11, 07:30 AM
Once again the captain began to laugh. This time it was a quiet but hearty laugh. The captain then turned to Treorri and sighed softly," Ah Prince Treorri, you are so much like your sire the king. I almost thought he was in the room for a moment. The group of you were actually brought here in one group so that I would not have to explain seven times. I am curious about your power not because of who gave them to you. We wish to recreate them if possible. Fore the Crimson Guard do not keep the creatures out. The wall itself does it. It creates a field that destroys any undead in the city. That was until glowstone came about. Now supernatural people are being born. Their presence throws off the delicate balance. This allows a few unsavory elements to infiltrate inside the city and spread the plague. The stronger the power the larger the disturbance. I am going to give each one of you the same deal everyone gets. Join the guard or leave the city."

FearlessGnome
2014-11-11, 08:37 AM
Ice cold fear sweeps through Byron. Be lost outside the city? Never. He would die. They would all die. He'd heard stories about the nightmares out there.

But... Join the Crimson Guard? No! They were the epitome of the establshment. Of stagnation. Of living in a cage. Of his father and brother and those like them.

Both choices are unbearable, one because of fear, the other because it goes against everything he has rebelled against.

Byron glances at those around him. He is somewhat ashen faced. He remains silent.

FearlessGnome
2014-11-11, 09:14 AM
A frown grows on Byron's face. "Wait... All the stories go that you just kill or kidnap anyone with unusual powers. What is it you actually do, once you are recruited into the Guard?"

Captain Awesome
2014-11-11, 09:26 AM
"I was beginning to think you were not a Bengor. The true Guard has three main jobs. The first and foremost is to protect humanity. From what we can tell this is the last city left. Second is the slaying of abominations. Though they mostly appear bellow ground, we fight off the agents of the destroyers that get into the city. This is then hidden behind stories of the guard dealing with rebels. Third is to find and safeguard those with powers. Those not large enough to cause ripples are trained to hide their powers. Those that cause ripples are given the choice you have been."

Calinero
2014-11-11, 02:06 PM
Curtis

Curtis frowns. "The Guard doesn't really deal with rebels, then? Who does?" He smirked. "Or are there not any rebellions like we've been led to believe."

copycatcat
2014-11-11, 03:54 PM
Melari

"I still have no clue of what power you are referring to. I had the visions of the one you call the 'creator,' the might of the void, the emptiness, the newness, beginning anew. And I feel that's what you mean by the 'dreams' now, but I cannot cast, as far as that well of nothig has given me the right of knowledge. Watch me try." She makes the verbal and somatic components for Charm Person.

bcool999
2014-11-11, 07:37 PM
Yog

Faced with such a choice, Yog feels the need to speak up and ask some questions. "Say we do join the guards, what then? Do we don the masks and disappear from the world, never to see our loved ones again, save from afar? As for replicating what happened to us, I don't see how if the creator truly was the one who did this to us. I know for sure that I didn't ask or do anything special to warrant the attention."

Ellowryn
2014-11-12, 12:58 PM
Little boy? Alex sighs, This is why i don't like dealing with people who are really no different from common criminals. You also don't really understand anything either, which i guess there is nothing truly wrong with ignorance but if you want to spout off stuff like you know what you are talking about you should probably try and get some real information.

After a brief pause he shifts in his seat to be more comfortable, Oh and i always speak politely to people who are actually my betters.

As for joining your little 'organization' i will have to not-so-respectfully decline. I have a job actually protecting the people of this city, which thanks to a certain decree now just got a little bit harder, which i take very seriously.

Now, as for how these powers actually came to be, i am myself trying to figure that out although your gathering of us has helped in that regard as i was beginning to wonder if there were more of people like me. Looking at the one prince, well people with powers like me would be the better phrase... although in this case he happens to be quite right.

Captain Awesome
2014-11-12, 07:05 PM
The captain looks to Curtis and calmly folds his hands. Leaning back in a chair the Captain looks up to the ceiling as he spoke with an almost nostalgic tone," Oh there were two wars. Only one was a rebellion. 500 years ago a cult formed inside of the city to the Destroyer. they used magics powered by glowstone to turn nearly half the city into monstrosities. The king himself ended up having to destroy nearly half his citizens. Then to cover it up to keep the peace the lies you all were taught were created."

As Melari chants and makes the symbols there is an odd response. A book comes into being floating in mid air open the page about Charm person. At the same time Melari's Scimitar appears in her hand. The spell comes forth before discharging out as the energy of the cast spell is immediately pulled into the walls of the room.

"Well.... That was interesting. Please be careful when casting magic in my office. It can do strange things. Fantastic job summoning up so much power in here. Impressive."

The miner then talks and the Captain seems to actually relax a bit as Yog speaks,"The creator is a curious being indeed... As for what you do in the guard. You continue your normal life. You work like a secret agent. You will be given your uniform and a special communicator. When you are called you drop what you are doing and put on your uniform. Then report to the disturbance. Take the disturbance, get paid, and go back to what you were doing. Just do your best to keep who you are secret."

The captain then turned to Alexander and just sighs softly," The sense of entitlement in you is stronger than anyone I have ever met. I have been the Captain of the Crimson Guard since they have formed. I gave your forefathers their duty of fighting outside the wall to keep the soldiers busy and trained up in case there was a second war with cultists or monsters. If you truly want to protect your people join the guard. Otherwise you are to be banished."

copycatcat
2014-11-12, 07:09 PM
"Odd.. void never showed that.. creation charms.. not even the spell.. told me things I'd be able to do.. told me I needed a book.. mind if I take that one?.. no book.. no preparations.. I don't know.. why is this?"

bcool999
2014-11-12, 07:34 PM
Yog

Yog looks at the Crimson Guard captain, or founder if he was to be believed, and thinks for a moment. If he is telling the truth... I could stay with my family, keep my job, maybe earn a little extra money and get the kids into one of those fancy schools that teaches you to be a butler or handmaid so they could grow up and live on the surface where the food is better and you don't need to carry a blade with you for fear of mugging...

Taking a deep breath, Yog gives his reply to the Captain, "Well... I don't like lying to my family like this, nor do I entirely trust you. But if half of what you're saying is true, you're offering a chance to protect and better my family and the whole city, and I'd be a fool to ignore that." Yog stands and holds a hand out to the Captain to shake, "So... I will take you up on your offer, even if it was coupled with a threat, and join the Crimson Guard... though I hope you have someone who could help explain some of the changes that I have gone through in the last day."

FearlessGnome
2014-11-12, 08:30 PM
Byron closes his eyes, thinking furiously. If all the man says is true, then by accepting exile he would accomplish nothing at all except dying. But joining the Guard... He had his own life. He was going places. His music was finally going to become popular, he could feel it. But the captain said they could continue their lives as well, as long as they came when called.

But were they good? He couldn't just help preserving the status quo. He didn't want that - and the Creator likely wouldn't stand for it either. If he joined the Guard, could he change things? If he was exiled, could he? He didn't know. If only he was a little wiser... He felt something rise up out of the depth of his new power, floating beneath the surface. Some magic that would indeed give him a little extra wisdom for a time. But that magic wouldn't be likely to work here; none of his powers would.

"What's the world like, out there? You tell us the history we learn is false. Is it the same with the world outside? "

Ellowryn
2014-11-12, 09:37 PM
Alex made to rebuke the guards reply but pauses for a moment. Curious.

What i speak of is not entitlement, it is fact. The guard does not protect, they threaten, kidnap, and otherwise ignore the laws in order to persecute anything see fit without any justification or oversight. The laws are not perfect, they never will be, but even if you are going after criminals you cannot ignore them.

I will choose neither banishment nor joining your gang. Even if, as you seem to be insinuating, you have lived for hundreds of years and are responsible for giving my family their current duties i truly do not care. I take my responsibility seriously and am willing to lay down my life for the kingdom, regardless of my house or lineage. I swore an oath before my family, the people i lead, and the very leaders of this city, and i will carry out that oath regardless of your threats.

copycatcat
2014-11-12, 09:40 PM
Melari has begun to study her new spellbook, and does not look up once as she talks. "Wow.. power.. mystic... Crimson stains.. no guard needed.. will not join.. will follow.. the man.. name forgot.. I forget often.. used my full name... the part added by Father.. strange he knew.. will stay here. No guard.. no duties.. no failures."

Captain Awesome
2014-11-12, 10:13 PM
"That book... it is yours. Truly you are a strange girl." the captain said with a light chuckle.

The Captain stood slowly and pulled a bronze mask as well as a long red coat and a red communicator with only a single button,"This is for you Mr Shatterstone. Please wear the mask and cloak when you are leaving the tower. You are now part of the guard and I thank you for your service. Your signing bonus will be in your home. While you are in uniform you stand with the full authority of the Guard. This allows you access to anywhere in the city. Do not abuse your power. You may head home.

The world outside, is a terrible place Byron. The further you get from the wall the more terrible the creatures become. That is why we stopped sending out expeditions. If you leave you cannot come back. You would be taking the plague back with you."

The Captain crosses his arms and shakes his head as Alexander continues to act superior," We are not ignoring the laws. This is our jurisdiction. Everything we do is regulated and controlled by the King himself. We do what we must to keep what is left of humanity alive. You speak of oaths and want to protect this city then I give you the option to do so. However, if you do not choose one of the options presented to you then you will be labeled a traitor. You will be executed publicly, and your family will be stripped of power for harboring you."

FearlessGnome
2014-11-13, 09:24 AM
Byron sighs quietly. It's not a pleasant choice, but at the end of the day there is only one answer.

"I will join. Just... nobody tell my father."

Calinero
2014-11-13, 10:57 AM
Curtis

Curtis grimaces. Joining with the authorities--the last thing he ever expected to find himself doing. But if there was truly no way to return from outside the walls, then there was certainly no way he could help the people of the city if he was banished. He would have to find a way to make things work from within--even if it left a sour taste in his mouth.

"Fine," he says. "I'll join your Guard." Looking at Alex, he continues, "Sometimes you have to recognize when there aren't any other options, and make the best of a situation." Thinking to himself, he added After all, if these powers we gained are as great as the Creator implied, I imagine the Guard won't be able to control us for long.

Captain Awesome
2014-11-13, 09:52 PM
The captain grabs another set of standard issue guard gear heading it to Byron," Welcome to the Guard Byron Bengor. The whole point is not to let your father know."

The Captain then turned to Curtis," I welcome you to the Guard Curtis. As a special bonus I know you are going to love, the Guard are capable of arresting highborn for breaking the law. If you see a highborn abusing someone bellow ground you can take them to the police and have him prosecuted. He will not be treated as harshly as a lowborn committing the same crime, but unfortunately we do not control that."

FearlessGnome
2014-11-13, 11:00 PM
Byron looks down at his new uniform. It's not... dashing. He will deinitely have to see if he can't make any minor changes to it, just to make it look nice.

He peers up at the captain. Better not mention it right away, though.

copycatcat
2014-11-13, 11:04 PM
Melari looks up and begins some odd chantings. You can tell they're in Common, but she speaks awfully fast, so she's hard to understand.

OOC: This is how I'm going to prepare spells.

Calinero
2014-11-14, 11:01 AM
Curtis

Curtis takes the offered uniform, grimacing a bit. He wants to smirk at the idea of arresting nobility, but something about the way that the captain offers the tidbit of information--like a bone to a dog--rankles at him. Turning to the chanting girl, he snaps, "Could you do that later? We're all still new at this, and frankly you could be getting ready to cast something at me right now."

copycatcat
2014-11-14, 03:53 PM
Melari continues to chant, showing no signs of hearing you. Her volume ever slightly decreases.

OOC: I'll stop if something important(i.e. conversation-provoking) happens, but otherwise I'm going to continue for 15 minutes, and prepare nothing but charm person.

2014-11-15, 10:42 AM
Treorri weighed his options: leaving the city would be leaving behind his friends, his family, his new allies, and his divine mission; staying would require him to support and work for everything he stood against. Such a dilemma! Still...he wasn't yet powerful enough to survive outside the walls alone, nor to re-enter the city against the guard's wishes; it would be easier to bring about true change from a position of power, especially that of the Crimson Guard, and he could always work to undermine the Guard or betray them later on once he no longer needed to mind them. Until then, however, it appeared he had to capitulate.

"I will accept this deal, captain, but know this: I would sooner sacrifice my life outside these walls than sacrifice my morality within them." Without another word, Treorri lapses into deep thought, his mind going in ten different directions at once as he thought up plans to use this new power to tear down the stagnated aristocracy and bring the people to power.

In case it needed to be mentioned, I am, in fact, Detecting Evil.

Ellowryn
2014-11-15, 11:38 AM
Hrmph, well this is getting us nowhere Guard. You have no way to prove anything you claim but if i continue to call you on it then this growing list of threats will approach laughable extremes. All i have to do is accept and i can just walk out of here right? Fine then, i accept, give me your trinket and let me be on my way. As i have said many times before i have more important things to do than waste time on you. Alex stands and walks up to the man, where once on his face was aggravation this has been replaced with a look of boredom and apathy, much like one would look at a child with, and holds out his hand.

Turning his head slightly, he speaks to the group, Once we are finally finished with this business i invite all of you to come to my home so that we may discuss more important matters. If you have more important places to be then that is fine, but if you could at least give us your contact information so that we may discuss things in the future.

Captain Awesome
2014-11-15, 02:53 PM
The captain moves over to Melari and squats before here and she reads from the book at speeds of speech only the most hyper active of teenage girls could understand.

" Miss Camazots... I would prefer if you did not do that in my office." he said as he holds out the same bundle he previously handed out.

The captain then looks to the other two and a set for each appears on the desk," Fantastic. I swear to you now upon the name of the king I will not ask you to sacrifice your morality or humanity. The things you are going to be fighting are not going to be human. You will see soon enough. With the waves the seven of your are letting out, I doubt that it will be less then a week before a tear forms. You lot are going to make my job a lit harder. Do remember, that when you wear the mask people without power will not remember you. How you look or sound cannot be remembered, All they will know is that you were a guard. Once your masks are on, you can see the exit."

You do not detect even a shred of evil within your range.

FearlessGnome
2014-11-15, 03:05 PM
Byron holds out the red coat to study it more closely. ..Yes, definitely needs some touching up. And the mask...

Grimacing at the prospect of being seen in clothes of such poor taste, even if no one will remember him, he puts them on.

bcool999
2014-11-15, 03:45 PM
Yog dons the mask and coat and looks around for the exit. Once he finds it he says to Alex, "No disrespect but I think I am just going to head home... then maybe a bar. Too much happened today that I couldn't wrap my head around. If you need to contact me use my personal communicator." Yog then gives Alex the number for his communicator... or however that works.

Yog then leaves the Captains office wondering for the first time just where the exit could lead to.

copycatcat
2014-11-16, 10:26 AM
Melari stops chanting and takes the clothing. What she does not do, however, is put it on, or make any other indication of hearing anyone's statements.

Captain Awesome
2014-11-16, 11:32 PM
Those that put on the masks see the facade drop. The metal walls give way to a very nice office littered with strange obviously magical devices. There is only one door and it leads out to the main hall of the royal tower. The two royals will not remember ever seeing this door. There is a fare amount of hustle and bustle. Guard and royals walk along the halls doing their normal thing. Within 5 minutes of leaving there is a chime from your communicator.

"The first ripples appeared far faster than we could have ever predicted. There is a disturbance in the east mine shaft. The seven of you need to get there now. There are several confirmed casualties from both the guard and the miners."

bcool999
2014-11-17, 02:15 AM
Yog

Unused to the bustle of so many guards and royals, Yog awkwardly makes his way towards the elevator down to the undercity. He had not gotten far when the communicator chimed. Hearing that the trouble was down in the mines made his face grow pale. He quickens his pace, but upon leaving the tower for the express elevator down to the undercity he pales further upon seeing the sky for the first time in his life.

The massive emptiness above made him want to grab on to something lest he fall into the void yawning above him. Biting his cheek, He focuses on the miners, possibly even his father, in trouble below and manages to snap himself out of it and set a brisk pace towards the lift, counting on his uniform to part any crowds he comes across.

Calinero
2014-11-17, 11:09 AM
Curtis

Curtis puts on the mask, and tries to conceal his surprise and changes it causes. He doesn't have much time to dwell on what it means, however, as the message comes through.

"Let's go, then!" he barks at the others. Despite how he feels about this arrangement, helping potentially trapped miners was something he could get behind. He takes off.

2014-11-17, 11:22 AM
Without a word, Treorri dons his new mask and cloak; acknowledging the changes with a short intake of breath, he barely spares a glance at the interior of the office before setting off in the direction: with lives at stake, there was no time to spend on gathering information on the captain. Sabotage could wait: the people were in peril, and he answered the call with a haste matched only by the large miner he barely caught up to. As he saw the large fellow briefly gaze up into the sky, grabbing for the railing, he silently commiserated while looking ahead to find the easiest way through the crowd.

As the large miner...Yog, if he recalled correctly...set off expeditiously towards the elevator, Treorri followed at a brisk pace of his own. Realizing the man's thought process, he did his best to part the crowd with words to match their actions. "Make way! Crimson Guard coming through" he called out in as authoritative voice as he could manage.

Intimidate: [roll0]

Continuing to call out a warning to those in front of them, Treorri follows Yog towards the undercity elevator, feeling around to make sure he had his rifle on him...as well as his harrow decks.

Ellowryn
2014-11-17, 11:54 AM
That is disturbing news, i will meet you all there as i must first retrieve my equipment. With that Alex places the mask on his face and his coat he slings over his shoulder and walks out the room. Once outside the tower he will head to his house to retrieve and don his armor and weapons, sending for Sam once he gets there, and then spend some time to prepare his spells.

FearlessGnome
2014-11-17, 03:27 PM
Well... There is nothing for it. Whether the captain was honest with them or not, this was a threat to the city. The Creator may have wanted change, but he won't get it in the form of monsters inside the city. Byron hurries with the others.

His measly little gun seems woefully inadequate now. He hopes their powers will prove more useful.

Captain Awesome
2014-11-18, 01:08 AM
Through the use of various transports and elevators, the group meet at the express train in central waiting to take the 7 of you out to the mines the whole train is swarming with Crimson Guard, but they obviously seem nervous if not scared.

bcool999
2014-11-18, 02:06 AM
Yog

On the tram ride, Yog turns to look at his six companions and fellow 'dreamers'. Some seemed rather capable of handling themselves, like that stubborn Alex, or the skulk Curtis, but he wasn't so sure about the others. Realizing that none of his companions had likely ever had reason to step into a mine, Yog decides to give a little forewarning before they get there.

"You all probably have never been down in the mines before so I will give you a little heads up. The East Tunnel is a Glowstone mine, not an iron or coal mine that the normal union miners dig up. At some parts of the mine you could be completely surrounded by wall to wall glowstone which can be a little dazzling if you're not ready for it especially after last night." Yog says meaningfully before continuing,

"It is about three miles long -depending on how much farther they have gotten- and starts at about a mile wide and narrows to a hundred feet or so. Some rules to remember, if you see something propping a wall or a ceiling up. Don't touch. You will see glowstone littered about. Again, don't touch. Some people react badly to the raw stone and over exposure is a risk even to experienced miners."

FearlessGnome
2014-11-18, 09:15 AM
Byron decides that the "Don't touch load-bearing structures" rule is probably a good rule. Very wide tunnels, though. That seems... risky.

Calinero
2014-11-18, 09:32 AM
Curtis

Curtis tries to ignore the other Guards around him as he concentrates on preparing his spells. It feels...odd, praying to a Creator that he had personally met, but he can feel the results almost immediately. The knowledge of the spells runs through his mind as he flexes his fingertips, itching to use the new power. He tells himself to wait--no sense wasting power now.

Curtis nods as Yog speaks about the mines. "My parents were miners--I have some experience with the area," he says. He did not mention that he had left the mines years ago, and had never been too comfortable in them even when he was young.

If the tunnel is three miles long, and the threat is somewhere inside, then Curtis will wait until they're a bit inside and cast Longstrider on himself.

copycatcat
2014-11-19, 09:15 PM
Melari, once on the train(unless others are on besides us) takes off the coat and intently listens. "I've heard.. a few. They... never had.. occasion.. for safety.. help hints. The.. engineers... glowstone... get greedy.. make things.. impress Camazots.. treated better.. less work. Never could.. be highborn.. anyhow."

Ellowryn
2014-11-20, 09:03 AM
Alex stands at the back of the group, obviously standing out due to the Full Plate he has donned with the crimson coat draped over his shoulders and his mask almost amusingly sitting on the top of his helmet.

Thank you for your advice mister Yog, as indeed i have ventured little down to the other parts of the city. To be honest i would prefer help from the local police instead of them, sticking his thumb at the nervous Guards, but i imagine they are little better equipped to deal with this situation.

Sighing, he continues, After we assess and deal with situation i will put into the works a plan bring the military forward to help guard against future instances of this in order to help safeguard the people from any problems that are beyond the police.

And lady Melari, you seem erratic, are you alright?

2014-11-20, 11:06 AM
Treorri takes in everything around him: the nervous guards, Yog's advice, Melari's speech patterns, everything. Even as he files it away in his mind, he tries to think of what this "ripple" could by. Had a riot started? He glanced at Yog; had he told someone of these powers before being picked up by the Crimson Guard? If a riot had started because of this, it needed to be stopped: revolutions accomplished change; riots rarely directed their violence against those in power, and it just convinced those in power to crack down on the people even harder. Lives were at stake, and he was going to do everything he could to save them.

Calinero
2014-11-20, 12:08 PM
Curtis

Curtis frowns as Melari speaks. Is she injured? Or did their powers come with...side effects. Glancing at the other Guards around them, Curtis quietly closes his eyes and focuses on his new powers. Reaching to one of his simplest spells, Curtis casts his first spell on himself to Detect Magic, and surreptitiously looks around at the other Guards to see if they also have any magic on them.

Captain Awesome
2014-11-27, 12:29 AM
The train stops at the main station in the mine. Immediately there is a stillness to the air. The sounds of men toiling is strangely absent. The entire mine, for the first time since it was created, is silent. None of the guard are willing to leave the train and you know why. Even from this distance you can feel the aura of something wrong coming from the east tunnel.

When you step off the train into the unnatural darkness those that have not stepped into the mine since their awakening see an amazing sight. The walls of this massive cavern seem alive. Every shade of blue dances and flows along the walls and ceiling like a swirling vortex of beautiful color. Veins branch off from this cavern with the largest heading east. The further down you go, the blue color becomes sickly and twisted turning darker and darker.

As you head down the tunnel the rather expensive tools used to mine glowstone can be found littering the ground. As you get closer and closer to the cavern at the end of the tunnel blood can be found splattering the walls, floor, and ceiling. The closer you get to the cavern's mouth a foul smell and a strange wet sound mixed with a very quiet chorus of moans and crying can be heard.

If you have the mask on you are under a constant arcane sight and have perfect sight even in the dark.

bcool999
2014-11-27, 02:11 AM
Yog

Stunned speechless at the palpable wrongness that the once familiar mine was now emitting like a fetid stink, Yog could only look around to see how the other (and one would assume more experienced) guards were handling this. Seeing the other guards cower like a bunch of children coming face to face with the monster under their beds was not the encouraging reaction Yog was hoping for. Nevertheless, it lit a fire in him to rescue his boys, since apparently everyone else on the train would rather go home and change their breeches.

Standing tall, Yog shoulders his way out of the train and moves deeper into the mine, smelling that the metaphysical stink of evil became a real assault on his nose as he went deeper into the mine.

2014-11-27, 03:45 AM
Barely sparing a second glance at the shaken guards, Treorri set off, exiting the train and making his way into the mine alongside the huge miner. As he ventured forward, his senses reeled at something not quite within the normal bounds of perception: it was as if he could feel the evil tainting this place with his mind.

He felt himself unconsciously reaching out to the evil, trying to drown it in his power...but it was too large, too powerful to be contained by one as weak as him. He glanced at his fellow divine agents; if they could work together, he just knew the lot of them could move mountains.

For now, he resolved himself to oppose whatever foul thing had chosen to "grace" the mines with its presence.

FearlessGnome
2014-11-27, 05:13 AM
Byron looks in wonder at the beauty of the glowstone. After a few seconds he forces imself to look away, and he looks with concern towards the guards who seem unwilling to step off the train.

"Tell you what. Is there any amongst you whose powers are useable at a distance, and who could do some good from safety? Please, we will go ahead regardless, but every little helps."

Ellowryn
2014-11-28, 06:50 PM
Alex brings his sword to bear, and gets into a low defensive stance as he readies to move forward.

Well, nothing like walking through unfamiliar tunnels with a bunch of people who may or may not know how to fight to face some unseen and unknown threat at the behest of a tyrannical organization. He thought to himself as he shifts the mask to better sit on his armored helm.

I will take point. Anybody else who has armor or at least skill at arms should take our flanks and rear, while those who are unable to handle melee should stay in the center. Mr. Byron, once you are finished with the hapless help please hurry with whoever actually bothers to come to meet up with the group.

Calinero
2014-11-29, 01:06 PM
Curtis

Curtis doesn't bother speaking as he takes up a position near the front. He simply mutters the words to the spell to himself as he casts Longstrider. He is already fast, but they don't know what they will face--he might need to be faster.

copycatcat
2014-12-05, 04:06 PM
Melari takes a spot in the rear, and mutters something that sounds like "spells.. magic.. collection.. so dumb." You know there were others in between, but she wasn't as loud on those.

Captain Awesome
2014-12-10, 10:21 PM
Darkness grows in this place the further you go. Darkness that feels wrong. So much glowstone should fill this area with a pleasant warmth and soothing blue light, yet all that can be found is a cold dark and an acrid smell. Without the masks you would be blind here, but with them on you can see a sight that no man should have to see. Piled in the center of the far cavern sits what can be described only as a charnel pit. A mound of bodies stripped bare sits in the darkness. The strange moaning and sickening wet sounds return as the mound seems to pulsate a little. When you move within a hundred feet you become fully capable of seeing why.

http://i5.minus.com/if3v2Uc1SVTyJ.jpg

A twisted creature made from bodies in various states of decay raises up from behind the mound of flesh. Faces in various states of decay, some that appear to even still be alive and in horror, cry out low moans with each movement. The massive head of this creature perches over the pit. It's mouth gapes open far wider than it should be able to. Then the wet sound surges forth once more. Dozens of bloody hands reaches from it's mouth and grabs a body from the mound. Whether it... he... was alive or dead is hard to tell by the wounds. However, the moment the hands grabbed the corpse he began to scream as if his very soul was being torn to pieces. A faint blue glow grows inside of the corpse that then turns dark black before the body is sucked inside the monster's gullet.

bcool999
2014-12-10, 11:50 PM
Yog

Yog peers ahead to see what they were facing and immediately regrets doing so. His blood runs cold at the sight and it is only through supreme force of will that he holds down the urge to vomit. He sees the flash of light that flares for a moment before being eaten... corrupted by the monstrosity. Is it... feeding on the energy in them? The lights I only realized were in each and every living thing today? Their souls?...

Yog couldn't bring himself to look too closely at the menagerie of faces that made up the beasts form as he silently stepped forward to face it, lest he recognize someone he knew. They're suffering. Dead yet unable to truly die while the force animating that beast yet survives. Cognizant of what they have become yet unable to stop it...

Circling to the right as he enters the cavern, Yog's sign surges along with his anger as a weapon forms in the miner's hands. A pickaxe glowing softly as though made of raw glowstone whose tip is deadly sharp.

Alright let's get this party started, Yog double moves into the cavern circling to the right to get a clear path between him and the beast that doesn't go through the mound. He also forms his Mind Blade as a part of movement. Yog should be approximately 45~50ft. from the beast with a clear line to charge the beast on his turn... Speaking of, Initiative: [roll0]

2014-12-11, 07:04 AM
Treorri beholds the monstrosity, barely containing the bile rising in his throat. Even as he contained his nausea, he felt his resolve harden: this...thing, whatever it was, was the source of the disturbance. From what it looked like, it had already killed so many...he gripped his rifle harder and moved towards the thing, taking aim. "Eat this."

2014-12-11, 09:45 AM
Can't full attack during a surprise round, so just the one attack for now.

Initiative:
Knowledge Devotion: Religion ([roll1])
Knowledge Devotion: Dungeoneering ([roll]1d20+6)

No Deadly Aim

Attack:
Potential Crit Attack:
Damage:
Potential Crit Damage:

2014-12-11, 09:55 AM
Ugh. Let's try this one more time.

Keep the rolls from the previous one that actually worked.

Knowledge Devotion: Dungeoneering ([roll0]) (I get to roll for every creature type; I could technically roll local for humanoids if I decided to use KD against the Crimson Guard)

KD Bonus: ; this is added to the attack and damage rolls for the rest of the fight, including this round; in later rounds, I'll just add it into the roll, but the roller doesn't like me modifying posts with rolls in them, so...

Attack: [roll1]
Potential Crit Confirm: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

EDIT: Holy crap. Guess I hit it...and of course, I forgot to roll the crit damage.

Well, that's a nat 20, so it hits. The critical threat, after adding in the KD bonus, is 17 (I doubt that hits, but still), and the damage is 13 if it's a hit and 39 if it's a crit...unless you want me to roll the crit damage separately.

Calinero
2014-12-11, 10:19 PM
Curtis pauses at the sight of the monstrosity in front of them. In a way, it is fitting...on the day he receives confirmation that there is a greater good, he is also confronted with proof of a much greater evil. Chanting to himself, he brings the force of his new magic to bear on his curve blades, strengthening them for the fight ahead.

Curtis is casting Magic Weapon on his blades and then moving as close to the thing as he can with a single move action (remembering that he has Longstrider and a Monk speed of 40).

Initiative: [roll0]

bcool999
2014-12-16, 03:03 AM
Yog

Steeling his resolve, Yog lunges forth at the creature as his ally attacks the beast. He raises his weapon in an overhead blow aimed at a spot about a foot or two past the point of impact.

Charging +2 to hit -2 AC
Power Attacking for -1 to hit +2 to damage
Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
Confirm: [roll2] Damage: [roll3]

Calinero
2014-12-16, 11:42 AM
Curtis

Curtis is close enough to the creature to be fully horrified by its appearance, but this only encourages him that what he does is necessary--this beast must be destroyed. With lightning speed, he slashes at it multiple times with his blessed sword.

Using my full flurry, meaning 3 attacks at an extra -2 on top of the TWF penalties.

Attack 1:
To hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Attack 2:
To hit: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Attack 3:
To hit: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

copycatcat
2014-12-16, 05:40 PM
Pushing through whatever ranks remain, Melari strikes the creature with her scimitar.

(Move-and-attack, not charge.)

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Also, everyone within 10 feet of Melari gets +1 to AC and Will.

EDIT: No way that hit.

2014-12-18, 10:34 AM
Without pausing, Treorri let loose two more shots, with more of an aim towards taking it down than hitting. Hopefully, his lack of care wouldn't come back to bite him in the ass...

Rapid Shot and Deadly Aim in use.
Attack 1: [roll0]
Crit Confirm 1: [roll1]
Damage 1: [roll2]
Attack 2: [roll3]
Crit Confirm 2: [roll4]
Damage 2: [roll5]

As before, if the attack is a crit, the damage roll is multiplied by 3.

Wow. Really? I'm just on a roll...

Captain Awesome
2014-12-20, 01:56 AM
The monstrous creature, shocked and confused by the sudden attack, released a chorus of twisted cries. Despite being in melee, the canine shaped monstrosity charged at the the prince that struck it twice most palpably. Fangs shaped like twisted sharped fingers sink into the prince's shoulder as the horrid mouth begins to leak a putrid black ooze.

Take 3 ((lousy roll) physical and 2 acid damage. I also need a dc 15 fort save or be nauseated.

2014-12-20, 02:08 AM
Treorri grits his teeth hard as the oozing fangs sunk into his shoulder. Between the smell and the feel of the black substance, his breakfast threatens to make a repeat appearance. Barely fighting back the bile rising in his throat, Treorri analyzed the situation: this creature had torn right through the armor like it was barely an obstacle, and it was far faster than he would've thought possible, given it's apparent size. Whatever this thing's capabilities were, Treorri knew his own strength wasn't in melee combat; if he wanted to survive this, he needed to retreat a bit and let others engage this thing where he couldn't.

Since it was involved in melee, should it have taken AoOs?

Calinero
2014-12-20, 09:24 AM
Curtis strikes at the creature as it lashes out at the prince.

To hit: [roll0]

bcool999
2014-12-21, 05:04 AM
Yog

Seeing the beast go after his ally, Yog tries drawing it's attention with a shout and a charge.

Charging Power Attack: [roll0]

copycatcat
2014-12-23, 09:49 AM
Melari takes a strike as it attempts to move away from her, then after it is finished, charges it, rather calmly for a charge.

AoO
[roll]1d20+3]
[roll0]

Attack(not actual charge, just move-and-attack)
[roll1]
[roll2]

Captain Awesome
2014-12-24, 10:21 PM
A terrible chorus of screams echo from the countless putrid mouths on the corpses that make up the putrid canine. The horrid mass begins to rather quickly resolve into a sickly black mass. The mass begins to writhe and twitch. A sluglike creature launches from the mass in an attempt to reach the pile of fresh corpses. Out of the shadows a whispy black cat leaps on the football sized slug and immediately begins devouring it.

bcool999
2014-12-28, 04:19 PM
Yog

He watches the cat eating the... thing that came out of the... corpse monster thing, I really have no idea what I just saw and helped kill do I? Yog thinks to himself deciding that the cat was helping to get rid of something he would rather not think about.

He lets his weapon dissipate and looks to his companions, "Well... if that was a taste of the other side of the wall I am glad I signed up to keep it out there... God how many did it kill?" says Yog taking in the body count strewn about the chamber.

Calinero
2014-12-29, 10:18 AM
Curtis

"Too many," muttered Curtis in response, wiping the blade of his sword clean of the dark blood. "And yes. If there's more of these things, they definitely need to die." If there were any proof that a higher power had given them these abilities, it lay in the fact that they were being used to kill these things.

"Should we press on," he asked, looking at the others. "Or does anyone need to be healed? I believe that's one of my new...talents."

copycatcat
2014-12-31, 02:42 PM
"Onward.. cannot stop.. not here.. press on. Heal first.. may be more.. up to come."

2015-01-03, 03:01 PM
Still recovering from the creature's assault, Treorri inspected his wounds, grimacing as he did so. Eyeballing the injuries as best he could (medicine had never been a particular interest of his), an unfamiliar instinct took over him, guiding his hand towards the wounds. As it moved, a red glow emanated from the hand, and he knew the glow would heal any wounds touched. As soon as that thought crossed his mind, he yanked back control from the no-doubt divine force guiding him; better to save any magical healing for someone who truly needed it.

"Let's move on," he answered. "Whether we find more of those creatures, or miners in need of help, our abilities are best saved until we're sure how to best put them to use. I have no doubt we can more readily weather injuries of this caliber, others are not so blessed; the sooner we can get to them, the more lives that can be saved." He shouldered his rifle and began looking for the way forward, his senses straining for any sign of survivors...or trouble.

Perception roll, in case it comes up soon:

[roll0]

Calinero
2015-01-04, 01:38 AM
Curtis

Curtis shrugs, keeping his sword at the ready. He is not about to waste healing if it is not wanted. He presses on silently, listening carefully for any other monsters.

bcool999
2015-01-04, 01:51 AM
Yog

Hoping that was all they would face, He looks about the cavern and shouts, "If you're about, call out!" As was traditional after a mining disaster such as a cave in.

[roll0]

Captain Awesome
2015-01-05, 01:10 PM
As the group descends deeper into the mine all that can be seen is death. At the very end of the cave is single skeleton clutching a large strange black egg that rests in what was once the skeleton's stomach. A few minutes later the Captain steps out of the shadows and actually applauds.

"Congratulations Kids. I honestly did not know if you would be capable of defeating such a creature. None of us were even capable of harming that... thing. You can all go home We will find any survivors and clean this place up."

Calinero
2015-01-05, 01:19 PM
Curtis

Curtis grimaces at the sight of the skeleton, reluctantly putting away his swords once the Captain appears. However, he does not immediately turn to leave.

"What about that thing?" he says, nodding at the egg. "Are we going to get an explanation for what that is?"

bcool999
2015-01-05, 01:32 PM
Yog

Insulted on a fundamental level at the Captain's apparent calm in the face of what happened here, Yog tries, unsuccessfully, to keep the vitriol out of his tone, "So... after a quick summary of what we just killed, when are you going to teach us that trick to get around so we can get here before there is a cavern full of corpses?" Yog says with his fists clenched at his sides.

Captain Awesome
2015-01-05, 02:32 PM
The Captain moves over to the Skeleton, squats down and stares a it and signs,"I have not seen one of these in a long time. It means we have a death cult. Down here the powers that destroy undead are weaker. They are able to make things like this. In all of my long live I have yet to see one this powerful. We lost 15 guard without even scratching this thing. Were it not for your group the mine would have been lost. If I could teach you how to move the way I do then you could teach me how to construct weapons with my mind. Then we could teach the other guard and not have to loose anyone else, but it does not work that way."

The captain then stand and walks closer to Yog,"The only thing we can do at this point to minimize losses in find this death cult and send in you and your group to deal with them. The last time a death cult showed up with enough power to summon a black egg, we wrote in the history books that there was a second rebellion."

Calinero
2015-01-07, 10:22 AM
Curtis

Curtis frowns at the Captain. "Our job is only to be reactionary, then?" he asks. "Just responding to the threats as they appear? There's nothing more we can do to seek out the source?"

Captain Awesome
2015-01-07, 11:13 AM
For the briefest of moments the happy monotone that is the captains voice is broken by a deep vile vitriol tone," Oh no... We will find them... When we do there will be no survivors. The horrors inflicted upon them for their crimes will make him wait another five hundred years before someone else is stupid enough to take up their mantle."

bcool999
2015-01-09, 11:25 PM
Yog

"Bah! How am I to know how all this works? This is my first day dealing with 'Powers' and all God left me with was knowledge that if I needed a weapon I could make a weapon... or a shield." Yog says in response to the captain's confirmation that we couldn't just learn each other's powers. He also flashes a shield up and dismisses it just as quickly just to make sure that he really could do it.

When the captain speaks of horrible punishments to the members of this cult Yog is slightly unnerved. I don't know if I would go that far... then again... if anything happened to me wife or kids... I hope they haven't heard about this and are sitting at home worried! Yog thinks to himself suddenly ready to go home.

"Well... if me works done I will be heading home... maybe hit up a bar for a stiff drink first..." Yog says with an awkward and clumsy combination of salute and bow to the Captain before making his way back to the tram line.

Calinero
2015-01-19, 11:26 AM
Curtis

After a moment's hesitation, Curtis nods at Yog. "Mind if I join you?" he asks. He is not normally much of a drinker, but if there were ever a time....besides, it would be good to learn more of his companions.

2015-01-19, 03:14 PM
"I'll be taking my leave as well. Good day, captain," Treorri said with a small sigh before following after his new companions. Hearing their plans for dealing with these new developments, he nodded along in agreement, thinking of a few places he could go if he wanted to forget that beastly thing for a while. He doubted his companions would be as inclined as he was to visit some of the wilder party bars, but it never hurt to ask.

"If you guys are willing, I know some clubs in the Sin District that seem intent on making the act of forgetting your problems into a lifestyle choice. We certainly wouldn't go that far, of course, but, well...whether it's with family, friends, or the general populace, a reminder of who we're helping, of why we're doing this...well, it can't hurt." He briefly lapsed into silence, before continuing: "If you're willing, I'm more than happy to cover whatever comes up; I have no doubt that your companionship will more than make up for it."

copycatcat
2015-01-19, 06:04 PM
Melari leaves with no words, seeing no reason to speak, nor desire.

Captain Awesome
2015-01-21, 11:41 AM
"Rest well kids. I will be calling on you for the next event.: The captain says as a small army of guard appear to start the cleanup. There is also a decontamination team waiting to deal with the wounded.

"That was amazing!" one of the medics that work on your group exclaims.