PDA

View Full Version : More Special Actions

Orzel
2007-03-19, 10:40 AM
Stabbing, tripping, and disarming is fine. But it is assumed that eventually you will be fighting weaponless monsters and things more than twice your size. You'd think the fighter college would have thought up a few moves for beating to things that don't fight normally.

Here's a few I thought up.

Throw Sand
You can make a sand throw as a standard action (an attack). When you throw sand, you attempt to throw sand, dirt, or mud into the eyes of an opponent, trying to blind them.

To throw sand, you must first pick up sand from the surrounding environment. This provokes an attack of opportunity if not in a prone position. If the defender’s attack of opportunity deals any damage, you cannot pick up the sand this round. Picking up sand, mud, or dirt is a free action.

You may throw sand at anyone in your natural reach. When you throw sand, the defender must make a Reflex save (DC 10 + your Strength Modifier) or be blinded for 1 round. Creatures without eyes or do not use eyes to see are immune to this effect.

You may try to conceal your throw sand attempt by using a distraction. If you do, make a Bluff check opposed by a Sense Motive check by your target. If you win, increase the DC of your sand throw by 4. If you lose, the defender gains a +4 bonus to saves against all sand throws made be you for the rest of the encounter.

Throwing Sand as a Move Action
With the Improved Sand throw feat, you can attempt to throw sand as a move action instead of as a standard action.

Limb Strike
As an attack action, you may attempt to injure the limbs an opponent uses for movement.

If you’re attempting to strike a limb of an opponent, follow the steps outlined here.

Step 1

Attack of Opportunity. You provoke an attack of opportunity from the target you are trying to limb strike. (If you have the Improved Limb Strike feat, you don’t incur an attack of opportunity for making a limb strike attempt) If the defender’s attack of opportunity deals any damage, your Limb Strike attempt fails.

Step 2

Attack Roll. You make an attack roll to your defenders touch AC. If the combatants are of different sizes, the larger combatant gets a penalty to his touch AC of -4 per difference in size category. The defender add his Reflex save bonus to his Touch AC if not caught flatfooted or still has his Dexterity bonus to AC.

Step 3

Consequences. If you hit the defender, roll damage and deal half of it to the defender (rounded down). If you deal at least 1 damage, the defender's limb is injured. The defender's ground, burrow, climb, or fly speed (choose one) is halved and the defender take a -4 penalty to Strength and Dexterity checks for 1 round plus 1 additional round for every 5 damage dealt (rounded down to the nearest 5).

If you fail to hit or fail to deal damage to the defender, the defender gains a cummulative +4 bonus to his touch AC to defend against limb strikes.

Climb On
As a move action, you may attempt to jump on a opponent at least 2 sizes larger than you, in an attempt to get in a better position to strike.

First, you move into the defender’s space. Doing this provokes an attack of opportunity from each opponent that threatens you, including the defender. (If you have the Improved Climb On feat, you don’t incur an attack of opportunity for making a climb on attempt) If the defender’s attack of opportunity deals any damage, your climb on attempt fails.

To climb on, make a Climb check opposed by an Escape Artist check by your target. The target may add his base attack bonus to this Escape Artist check. If your opponent is not denied his Dexterity bonus to AC, he gets a +8 to this roll. If your Climb check result exceeds your target’s Escape Artist check result, The attacks you make against the target does not allow him to use his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any). Additionally, you gain a +4 bonus to Reflex saves against spells, breath weapons, and gaze attacks for each size you are smaller that the target. You can only use light one handed weapons on the target unless he is at least 3 sizes larger than you.

Holding on
At the beginning of a climbed on opponent's turn, you must make a grapple check opposed by an Escape Artist check by your opponent. The target may add his Strength modifier (if any) to this Escape Artist check. If the defender wins the check, you fall off the defender.

Alternatively, the opponent may try to pick off enemies climbing on him. He makes a grapple check versus your touch AC as a standard action. If the defender wins the check, you fall off the defenderPEACH.

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-03-19, 11:35 AM
I like all of these. Great job, I'll try to get my DM to use them.

Haedrian
2007-03-19, 12:16 PM
I lyke all of them as well, mind if I use them?

Orzel
2007-03-19, 12:28 PM
Go ahead and use them.

I'm thinking about reducing Climb on to 1 size larger to climb and 2 size larger to attack with any weapon. A 6 foot fight should be able to climb on a 15' blinded giant by hoping of a tree.

Captain van der Decken
2007-03-19, 12:43 PM
Well, there are feats that do that already, and the limit is 2 sizes larger, so I'd leave it at that.

Would it make more sense for throw sand to be based on your dex modifier? Seeing as that's for ranged attacks, and you're throwing it.

Looks good otherwise.

Orzel
2007-03-19, 12:47 PM
You can't really aim sand. It just goes where you throw it. You're just throwing it harder so it goes in the target's eye's faster. A breath weapon with your hand basically.

Haedrian
2007-03-19, 12:52 PM
You can't really aim sand. It just goes where you throw it. You're just throwing it harder so it goes in the target's eye's faster. A breath weapon with your hand basically.

Consider it a splash weapon and use the same stuff for opening a bottle of holy water and splashing it?

Orzel
2007-03-19, 01:06 PM
You're not trying to hit the target. You're throwing the sand in front of you, blanketing the area in front of you. You can't miss really. Your opponent has to jump out the square/cover their eyes or they will be affected.

Giantbane is too limiting and grants too weak of a bonus. Plus anyone should be able to do it. Anyone who has dealt with hyper kids knows what I mean.

Glooble Glistencrist
2007-03-19, 05:06 PM
I really like Climb on. I've tried to do it before and the rules weren't all that helpful. Limb strike looks neat too. Not sure about sand throwing.

Demented
2007-03-19, 05:18 PM
Heh, I've been thinking of something like Climb On, specifically the holding on part.

Though, you used a climb instead of a grapple check. That's interesting....

Orzel
2007-03-20, 05:30 PM
The grapple checks on big creatures is very high. But thats for when the two creatures are wrestling. It's hard to pick off something 1/4 your size grabbing your leg through.

Note: I based Climb on the way my cousins and brother fight me.

Demented
2007-03-20, 08:46 PM
Ah. Though, I would think your cousins and brother are size small, rather than tiny. Tiny ranges from cat to rat* size, so you'd need to base climb attempts around creatures the size of a cat or smaller.

*Actually, I'd think a rat would be diminutive, or even fine if you go by the height/length measurements, but maybe rats just proved too dangerous with a +4 or +8 to attack and AC, so they were set at tiny.

alchemy.freak
2007-03-20, 10:48 PM
mayhaps you should extend your climb on rules to mounted opponents as well. or that might be somethig new to add