PDA

View Full Version : Druid Wildshape for the lazy?

Trianas
2014-10-25, 01:29 AM
I’m looking for an easy way to manage all the many druid forms…. Has anyone found or created any kind of Apps or generators to help?
Call me lazy but I think it would be nice to plug in your character stats and click [Dire Bear] and have your new for there for you, I would like to change forms often and not have to take away game time to look for the new stats (I know it can be done before game time and there when needed)
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! :smallbiggrin:

XionUnborn01
2014-10-25, 01:47 AM
My advice would to take some time and grab a notebook and make a list of forms you want to use. Maybe 10 forms to have as a reference.

That might be the easiest way.

Alent
2014-10-25, 01:58 AM
Speaking as someone who's tried his hand at building an D20 character app, I'd be very surprised if you actually find a Wildshape tool like what you're looking for.

Not because it's difficult, but rather because there's some odd obstacles baked into the OGL as far as writing software goes. I'll spare you the details since they tend to look like legal advice, but I think it's safe to say that any such app would lack animals released outside the OGL, severely cutting down on its usefulness.

The best thing to do would be just get notecards or a large Word doc and write down only the things you actually get from each form, and keep it as a personal reference.

Trianas
2014-10-25, 03:49 AM
Thanks guys,

I figured it was long shot but was trying to be optomistic...

I guess Im not really sure what stats change with my new shape and what just melds into it... I need to do some more research :smallsigh:

Red Fel
2014-10-25, 08:21 AM
This is a comprehensive Master of Many Forms list (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/1060931). Since it uses Wild Shape rules, those rules also apply to Druid Wild Shape. Consider this a go-to list for forms you might need.

This is a comprehensive Polymorph list (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1096231). It doesn't use Wild Shape rules, but since Wild Shape gives you physical ability scores, Ex abilities, and natural armor and attacks, it's a pretty solid and well-organized list for your purposes.

Ettina
2014-10-25, 08:45 AM
I'd probably just make a character sheet for each shape. (I usually make character sheets for minions, such as my necromancer's zombie or my ranger's dire rat. Just makes it easier.)

Troacctid
2014-10-25, 12:29 PM
PHB2 shapeshift variant. Boom.

Trianas
2014-10-26, 12:08 AM
Unfortunately I work offshore and I can’t open the two links you supplied me [Contents Blocked by your Organization] bah! But I will look into them as soon as I return home, until then I will have my forms made on notecards.

With that said, I am still trying to figure out what stats change into my new form and what stats change with my new form, I see the base creature stats and there are many forms I’m interested in using, I’m level 2 at the moment and am limited to small and medium animals at lvl 5. I’m not sure why but I really like the Dire bear and will want to assume that form when I can, for the time being I will most likely be using the Flesh ripper the most, or some form of bird, I have seen the Dire hawk and heard there is a Dire eagle but have not found that one yet.

Thanks again

Runeclaw
2014-10-27, 12:24 PM
I believe Dire Eagle is in Races of Stone.

icefractal
2014-10-27, 12:55 PM
You don't usually need a full character sheet per form; I've done ok with just a short stat block listing the important changes. As far as generating that info automatically - I've tried setting a program up, but it didn't really save much time - too much time spent entering info, and while it does automatically handle level-up, you get new forms at most levels anyway.

Ketiara
2014-10-27, 03:15 PM
I use Animal Companion spreadsheet from Heroforge for my normal WS's and for the most part i actually manage to make use of the macro'es in that spreadsheet. But then when i comes to the more exotic WS's and plant wildshape I just normally overwrite the spreadsheet with the modifyed stats.

Trianas
2014-10-28, 05:49 AM
I never heard of Races of Stone before today but I was able to download it and the Dire Eagle is in fact there on page 186 thanks Runeclaw

And I have been playing with an Excel a bit and have almost got a good thing going; I created a mini character sheet with just the important stats etc. I’m linking it to my Druid character sheet on Excel and all I have to do is log in the base creatures stats and it takes the information needed from both sheets to make the new wild shape form... there is allot more I’d like to do but it’s a work in progress... If I get something great out of it I’ll be happy to link it here for critiquing and or use.

eggynack
2014-10-28, 05:54 AM
You'd probably do better using myth weavers (http://www.myth-weavers.com/) than excel. It's a pretty good resource for this sort of thing.