PDA

View Full Version : Index Got a Real World Economics/Biology/Physics/History/Etc. Question? Mark II

Jon_Dahl
2014-10-25, 02:14 AM
The old thread has faded away, so let's start a new one...

I would like to represent the legendary Khutulun in a realistic way in my game. Got any ideas? I would like to make her multilingual, but I don't know or understand what were the languages of the time... Could Old Mandarin be one of her languages?

Yora
2014-10-25, 04:21 AM
I think this is actually Thread 3, but not sure. :smallbiggrin:

An online search for Khulutun didn't get me anything. What is it?

Jon_Dahl
2014-10-25, 06:50 AM
I think this is actually Thread 3, but not sure. :smallbiggrin:

An online search for Khulutun didn't get me anything. What is it?

Sorry, it doesn't help if I make a question mistype the name! I mean
Khutulun

Yora
2014-10-25, 06:56 AM
So the question is what languages were commonly used in 13th and 14th century China and Mongolia and the surrounding countries, yes?

Old Mandarin would most certainly have been on the top of the list of languages to learn if you want to be able to directly talk with lots of people.

Jon_Dahl
2014-10-25, 07:53 AM
So the question is what languages were commonly used in 13th and 14th century China and Mongolia and the surrounding countries, yes?

Old Mandarin would most certainly have been on the top of the list of languages to learn if you want to be able to directly talk with lots of people.

Yes, that's my question. I clarified the OP.

Yora
2014-10-25, 08:48 AM
I don't know much about the history of their languages at that time, but the Uyghurs and Kazakhs would have been ruledthe Chagatai Khanate and their languages probably would have been quite useful for governing them. They also bordered Persia, and from what I know Persian was a major trade language and even more importantly a language of culture and science, which the Mongols were quite lacking in, but also had great interest for. As an educated general and representaive of the government, this would have had a high priority as a language to know.

Yora
2014-11-05, 06:46 AM
Does anyone know about a simple introduction to herbs, healing plants, and other premodern "chemicals"? I think it would be quite useful to be able to mention these occasionally in appropriate situations, rather than simply making up a fictional plant.